Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Rhobar121

Scholar
If you want more excitement go explore Cowboy planet at night. Those Ashta are not toothless.
I found a good spot that is chock full with these things, grinded up 3 levels...

Starfield-9-14-2023-8-22-40-PM.png
Am I having hallucinations or is there really a flying tree there?

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
easy way to get some xp and money is to scan gas giants from space. they don't have anything on them so just scanning with R makes it a complete scan and gives you a data slate that you can sell for 4500 credits and get some xp
People hated the scanning in ME2, but love it in Starfield.

It's all so tiresome.

That was one of the biggest complaints as well about Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The scanning mechanic.

It's really amazing to me. EDO offers essentially the same game experience as Starfield (with more freedom and realism, minus the shit storylines), but everyone bitched and complained about it. Now these same clowns can't stop praising Starfield. Most people are just bandwagon corporate faggot NPCs. They don't have a real opinion themselves, they just go where the wind blows.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
That was one of the biggest complaints as well about Elite Dangerous Odyssey. The scanning mechanic.

It's really amazing to me. EDO offers essentially the same game experience as Starfield (with more freedom and realism, minus the shit storylines), but everyone bitched and complained about it. Now these same clowns can't stop praising Starfield. Most people are just bandwagon corporate faggot NPCs. They don't have a real opinion themselves, they just go where the wind blows.
scanning is a mostly pointless, optional mechanic in the game, I haven't seen anybody praise it.

it's unfinished like much of the rest of starfield's systems as there is really no point in domesticating aliens etc. in the game unless you want to do it

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
easy way to get some xp and money is to scan gas giants from space. they don't have anything on them so just scanning with R makes it a complete scan and gives you a data slate that you can sell for 4500 credits and get some xp

It's all so tiresome.

Elite doesnt come close to offering the same experience you dumbfuck. Its whole another genre of game. What a moron.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

It's all so tiresome.

Elite doesnt come close to offering the same experience you dumbfuck. Its whole another genre of game. What a moron.
Huh? They are both space games where you explore and scan stuff on planets, complete missions, grind for new ships, equipment, land on generic repeated assets, etc. Ground combat is basically the same shooting and throwing grenades at space bandits. A "whole other genre of game" would be Baldur's gate 3.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Elite is a space sim, Starfield is an action RPG. Just because they both feature some elements that are similar doesnt mean they are the same game.

Robotigan

Learned
There are a few misconceptions about what an engine is and specifically what Creation Engine is.
It barely has anything to do with Netimmerse or Gamebryo. The only things that are left over from those code bases are most likely the most basic things that need not be changed because if you would, you'd simply rewrite them to do the same thing and most likely the code would even look the same, too. Half-Life: Alyx contains code dating back to Half-Life 1, which ported code from C to C++ dating back to Quake. I haven't looked, but I bet Unreal Engine 5.3 has elements which date back to the first Unreal release and which did not require an update over the years.

Everything we do not like about the Creation Engine is a Bethesda thing. Bugs dating back to Morrowind? That's on Bethesda, not the original engine authors.

Regarding the amount of loading screens I believe it has something to do with how scripting works in the engine. Moving between areas of New Atlantis by tram requires a load screen to update the scripts of NPCs and such. Sure, Bethesda could make an actually moving tram, but that's a different story. Some stores are behind a loading screen because they had to isolate them for some reason from the rest of the area, also most likely due to scripting and memory constraints. Make no mistake, games are developed with consoles in mind, no matter how much the PC release could be important to them. The current Xbox consoles have 16 GB of unified memory, where 10 GB is "fast" memory. Take a look at memory usage on the PC: the game rarely uses more than 6 GB of video memory, but also uses at least 5 GB of system RAM. That's over 10 GB total. If we reduce some textures and shaders sizes, it can be trimmed down a bit but not enough to allow for another store to exist in that particular cell and must be hidden behind a loading screen. Creation Engine 2 has a lot of I/O activity during gameplay so they already use a lot of streaming to make everything fit within their memory budget. Could they enhance streaming further to allow more areas to exist without a loading screen? Maybe, but it's easy for us to say when we don't have to write the code.

There's also another misconception about modding Bethesda games. People often say the studio develops many things half assed because "mods will fix it". This is not how it works, developers don't do that, even at Bethesda. The fact that we can have a completely overhauled inventory in the form of StarUI, we can change how dialog options look, fonts, change textures, effects, shaders and all the rest... is only a good thing. How often do we play games with a terrible UI and the game cannot be modded at all? People will say "well, the UI sucks, but it's a good game". In the case of a Bethesda release? "The UI sucks and we have to resort to modding, Bethesda sucks!". I have only praise for Bethesda's approach to modding and they are most likely aware this is what keeps their games alive (and selling) for so long... we still get mods for the original Doom or Quake and we still get mods for Morrowind. A lot of sales of such old games today are most likely happening because of the unlimited amount of user content out there.
Yeah, Bethesda's mod support automatically makes them one of the most PC supportive studios despite everything else.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Elite is a space sim, Starfield is an action RPG. Just because they both feature some elements that are similar doesnt mean they are the same game.

It's not an action RPG at all. It's a generic FPS wtih a high DEI score. I really do appreciate you and Vic for being great visual representations for my statement: "Most people are just bandwagon corporate faggot NPCs. They don't have a real opinion themselves, they just go where the wind blows."

ArchAngel

Arcane

It's all so tiresome.

Huh? They are both space games where you explore and scan stuff on planets, complete missions, grind for new ships, equipment, land on generic repeated assets, etc. Ground combat is basically the same shooting and throwing grenades at space bandits. A "whole other genre of game" would be Baldur's gate 3.

Yes, it is called woke shit genre. Or Bear sex degenerates genre.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Steam forums are always good for a laugh.

7z4n7f.jpg

Hey bro, don't judge people just because they are having an issue with beast races in 2023. Let them mod the beasts out of their game. Privacy of their own bedroom, remember?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

It's not an action RPG at all. It's a generic FPS wtih a high DEI score. I really do appreciate you and Vic for being great visual representations for my statement: "Most people are just bandwagon corporate faggot NPCs. They don't have a real opinion themselves, they just go where the wind blows."
Ok Einstein. Im here having fun playing a fun game and you're there foaming at the mouth trying to sound smart. I think i win.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Eurogamer:

Starfield review - a game about exploration, without exploration​

6/10
https://www.eurogamer.net/starfield-review

Starfield doesn't have it. It doesn't have surprises along the road, memories of journeys and distractions, a sense of artfully-engineered, perfectly positioned distraction and discovery, like each shrine was hand-placed by Video Game God, because it is both entirely disconnected and, frequently when you do roam about on a planet surface, procedurally generated. In Starfield the planets aren't entire regions, they're fixed cities with random land around them. You can't be lured off the road, or simply on the road to drink in the world, because there is quite literally no road to be lured away from. There's no route from one planet or system to the next. In Starfield, instead, you fast travel everywhere.

It's a topic that's led to much discussion of loading screen waits and broken immersion, the sense of disappointment mostly forming around not being able to seamlessly land a spaceship and take off like you'd hoped. And that's a fair point, but also a failure to really capture what's lost when you cut out manual exploration entirely. Instead of roaming discovery, Starfield's world is navigated by hypertext, flitted through in an instant like a Wikipedia article with all the formless liminality of the internet but without the art of, say, Hypnospace Outlaw or Neurocracy, which actually makes a game of that on purpose.

The result - aside from losing all those sacred in-between moments - is a kind of total disorientation and detachment, a radical alienation and a saddening kind of ennui. In the literal sense, I rarely have the faintest idea where I am in this game. This is because I don't need to - you pick up a quest marker, bring up the menu, press the button to take you directly to whatever planet you need to visit, press another button and pachow, with a whoosh and a bang and, depending on your hard drive, a loading screen or five, you're there. Got the object? Killed the guy? Spoken to the farmer or shopkeeper or whatever? Blam, another whip through the buttons and you're back.

Last edited:

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Apple made a live action adaptation of a scene from Starfield yesterday. IIRC this was one of the UC Vanguard missions on New Atlantis. I could be wrong though, they all blend together.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, it is called woke shit genre.
So you're saying Niggerfield and Baldur's Gay 3 are in the same genre after all? Interesting.
If we go by your standards, my companions are two white girls and a white cowboy dude (and a white robot). Nobody is trying to hump me when I try to pick up a soap and both girls are waiting for me to approach them. Woke Gay 3 is much worse.

EDIT: Even the superfan dude that is hanging around my ship is white.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom