Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
left over files [...] do not affect performance of running tasks.
M'kay mr. "tech literate".
yeah, you're just part of the people here who pick on me because I'm in the minority of liking starfield, thinking that you're somehow smarter than me, but you're just morons tbh.

I did not follow the game at all until it was released, so I don't know what kind of expectations were set, I went in blind, and I liked the crafting and looter shooter gameplay. Lots of people seem butthurt that it's different from their previous games, which is understandable, but on its own it's not a bad game per se, still currently a 6/10 because of lacking systems and bad performance, but in time it will shine.
Not really. I just can't stand people spouting nonfactual nonsense. If anything I somewhat admire your low satisfaction threshold.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am still using same Win7 install for 7+ years since I bought my SSD and did a clear reinstall of my previous Win7 install. It is not even fully updated as the pirate version of Win7 I am using cannot connect to windows update and I only have it at state of win7 patches at that time :D
And things have not started working worse over time. I guess that is advantage of using superior windows over people that upgrades to newer shinier shit.

And I am now only contemplating doing a reinstall to win 10 because I want to play some new games on it, also I can now get a cheap "legal" Win10 version from key reseller sites and such.
Oh and all my PC components are as old as this windows or older. I only upgraded RAM, GPU and SSD over time.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Not really. I just can't stand people spouting nonfactual nonsense. If anything I somewhat admire your low satisfaction threshold.
the biggest issue here is that people assume they should all like the same game. games, like books, are different and people should not expect to all like the same new game. Especially in this case as it's somewhat an experimental RPG. you could say bethesda is to blame for it by not making it clear how the game plays (basically a single player fallout 76). writing was never their strong suit, and I didn't bother with doing any quests until 20+ hours in because I knew what to expect. In this case gameplay wise it's just my jam.

Vic

Savant
And things have not started working worse over time.
that used to be the case before SSDs actually as the drives wore out. My OS runs smooth as butter on my SSD for over 10 years now (tho I should probably start expecting for it to die soon too :( )

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
the biggest issue here is that people assume they should all like the same game. games, like books, are different and people should not expect to all like the same new AAA game. Especially in this case as it's somewhat an experimental RPG. you could say bethesda is to blame for it by not making it clear how the game plays (basically a single player fallout 76). writing was never their strong suit, and I didn't bother with doing any quests until 20+ hours in because I knew what to expect. In this case gameplay wise it's just my jam.
Well, I'm in this thread to actually learn about the game. Given it's mostly your posts, I read them. I've been waiting for a game like that since maybe Frontier : Elite II. Many people do, that's what made scams like Star Citizen (and NMS...) even possible. But looking on Starfield gameplay I'm not even mildly interested in trying it. On other hand, Beth is a nasty corp that's been really spitting in their audience' face. Lastly, lol, it's codex. People will scrutinize, bitch and moan. It's the part of shitposting charm.

ArchAngel

Arcane
the biggest issue here is that people assume they should all like the same game. games, like books, are different and people should not expect to all like the same new AAA game. Especially in this case as it's somewhat an experimental RPG. you could say bethesda is to blame for it by not making it clear how the game plays (basically a single player fallout 76). writing was never their strong suit, and I didn't bother with doing any quests until 20+ hours in because I knew what to expect. In this case gameplay wise it's just my jam.
Well, I'm in this thread to actually learn about the game. Given it's mostly your posts, I read them. I've been waiting for a game like that since maybe Frontier : Elite II. Many people do, that's what made scams like Star Citizen (and NMS...) even possible. But looking on Starfield gameplay I'm not even mildly interested in trying it. On other hand, Beth is a nasty corp that's been really spitting in their audience' face. Lastly, lol, it's codex. People will scrutinize, bitch and moan. It's the part of shitposting charm.
I do not think this game was ever marketed as space sim with RPG elements. At least that is never what I expected. I did expect more space stuff but how it ended up didn't surprise me at all.

soulburner

Cipher
There is no reason to re-install Windows unless you intentionally break something. The days of slow, loud and small spinning hard disks are gone. Windows 95 is also a distant memory. Reinstalling "modern" Windows is absolutely pointless as it will not give you better performance. Upgrading hardware also doesn't necessarily require a clean install, either. Cleaning your temp files and removing unused fonts will not give you additional frames per second unless you still run Windows 3.x.

Vic

Savant

N7 Jacket for Sarah Replacer​

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2636

2636-1694771602-342338716.png

Watery Eyes Fix​

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/443

Explicit Astral Lounge - Strip Club Dancers​

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2620

2620-1694763616-1330949084.jpeg

White Vladimir​

On https://basedmods.eth.limo/browse/

yDmpmFhaC0AQpmLpVPgOiG9X9tVfcCl5cA3MtN6wtVA

Killable Children​

On https://basedmods.eth.limo/browse/

Last edited:

Wasteland

Educated

Yeah, same boat here. Of course it's disappointing that Starfield doesn't offer the sort of fully seamless sandbox that you see in NMS or Elite (or Chris Roberts' retirement vehicle), but it's also entirely understandable. I actually started following this thread a couple weeks ago because I'd read some schadenfreude-bait commentary from Star Citizen fans, worrying that Starfield would upstage their darling. So I came into this thing with unrealistic expectations.

Leaving those expectations aside, I wouldn't even mind a more segmented, story-driven experience--it's worked well enough for several RPGs set in space, like Mass Effect for example--except that we are talking about Bethesda. Bethesda's traditional strengths are openness and freedom (and spending ten hours in Mod Organizer for every hour you spend playing). Turning a Bethesda game into what appears to be a collection of disconnected corridor-shooter setpieces seems bizarre on its face. Add in the questionable decision to allow instantaneous fast travel from anywhere besides your ship, and one may begin to feel as if the "space" component of Starfield is just a tacked on minigame.

That's where the complaints about loading screens come from, IMO, not from any real concern about long loading times or out of any real desire for manual travel across whole solar systems. The design paradigm just seems self-conflicted, or at least against type. "Bethesda does Bioware" reads like a bait and switch. When you buy a Coke, you don't want it to taste like flat beer.

But I may still give Starfield a shot, treat it like a looter shooter with a background cast of San Francisco HR ladies. It seems like it should play similarly to Cyberpunk, which I enjoyed well enough for what it was. Vic's commentary has been enlightening, and like you I admire his commitment to positivity. I also very much appreciate Codex's commitment to criticizing the shit out of everything; it's saved me a lot of money and time over the years. Given the state of the video games' industry (and the constellation of media shills attached to it), having someone who will reliably talk you out of their products is invaluable. Worst case, even if you go ahead and buy a game Codex has eviscerated, you'll go into it with your eyes open.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

Yeah, same boat here. Of course it's disappointing that Starfield doesn't offer the sort of fully seamless sandbox that you see in NMS or Elite (or Chris Roberts' retirement vehicle), but it's also entirely understandable. I actually started following this thread a couple weeks ago because I'd read some schadenfreude-bait commentary from Star Citizen fans, worrying that Starfield would upstage their darling. So I came into this thing with unrealistic expectations.

Leaving those expectations aside, I wouldn't even mind a more segmented, story-driven experience--it's worked well enough for several RPGs set in space, like Mass Effect for example--except that we are talking about Bethesda. Bethesda's traditional strengths are openness and freedom (and spending ten hours in Mod Organizer for every hour you spend playing). Turning a Bethesda game into what appears to be a collection of disconnected corridor-shooter setpieces seems bizarre on its face. Add in the questionable decision to allow instantaneous fast travel from anywhere besides your ship, and one may begin to feel as if the "space" component of Starfield is just a tacked on minigame.

That's where the complaints about loading screens come from, IMO, not from any real concern about long loading times or out of any real desire for manual travel across whole solar systems. The design paradigm just seems self-conflicted, or at least against type. "Bethesda does Bioware" reads like a bait and switch. When you buy a Coke, you don't want it to taste like flat beer.

But I may still give Starfield a shot, treat it like a looter shooter with a background cast of San Francisco HR ladies. It seems like it should play similarly to Cyberpunk, which I enjoyed well enough for what it was. Vic's commentary has been enlightening, and like you I admire his commitment to positivity. I also very much appreciate Codex's commitment to criticizing the shit out of everything; it's saved me a lot of money and time over the years. Given the state of the video games' industry (and the constellation of media shills attached to it), having someone who will reliably talk you out of their products is invaluable. Worst case, even if you go ahead and buy a game Codex has eviscerated, you'll go into it with your eyes open.

That's a good perspective.

Go into this game expecting a rather shallow looter-shooter and you'll probably be happy. 90% of the story missions are absolute trash. I've had 1 single mission so far I've liked. Dialogue is awful. World is mostly bland, though you can find a neat screenshot-worthy vista every once in a while.

I keep playing for one reason - I do like the ship building, and I want to eventually get something akin to the Nostromo to run around in someday. That's pretty much it though. I hate loot grinders a la Diablo 2, and that's what this game mostly is. It has an infinite NG+ mechanic and infinite player levels which obviously seems to cater to the looter/grinder mentality. If you like that kind of game-play loop, you may like Starfield.

You're right though, Todd sold Starfield much more as a classic "see that mountain?" Bethesda game in space. It's not really that.

goregasm

Scholar
Definitely glad I have avoided this thus far, between lack of time and lack of interest. It's just kind of disappointing because I don't dislike Bethesdas "go anywhere" philosophy, at least how it used to be in Daggerfall Morrowind even Skyrim (fuck Oblivion)

It just seems like they took their strengths over the years and watered them down in a mad dash to get to a more story focused position, unfortunately outside of mayyyybe Morrowind, their main story telling has always been rather..well...shit.

Never been a fan of their building things that they added in FO4, their firearm designs were an absolute fucking insult to anyone who enjoys firearms as well, looking like that type of stuff is maybe not front and center ala FO4, but a big enough part of the game.

It just seems as though Starfield is doubling down on the things I don't appreciate about Bethesda post Skyrim, if other folks enjoy it, more power to em, ain't going to shit on em for how they waste their free time, but I'm going to have to wait until a Frost esque overhaul comes out for this before I can even start to get interested.

Even then, looter shooters are just not my cup of tea

goregasm

Scholar
^ I'm calling it with the way they are going to handle mods in Starfield. they have not release proper modding tools yet and are keeping them for their own modders that they have hired to create paid mods.
Didn't it take months post release for the tools to come out for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallouts though? It certainly wasn't a day one thing IIRC.

Not saying they wouldn't do exactly as you are saying, but those tools were like 5 or 6 months post release

Rhobar121

Scholar
Should you care to read a text more complex than bethesda dialogue from time to time, you'd comprehend that it's the exact opposite of what I wrote.
no it's not moron, you implied with your long winded pretentious post that I'm using registry and file cleaners, which I'm not. I'm manually cleaning shit out that isn't needed anymore, my system runs perfectly fine as it also doubles as a home media server for jellyfin and ABS so I make sure it's well maintained, which is not hard to do if you just remove unwanted drivers and software, make sure no unneeded stuff is autostarting, and there are no tasks and services active that you don't need anymore.

so how about you spend some time reading what I write instead of being a pretentious fuck
Well, now you're trying to tell me that your idea of tech literacy is doing by hand tasks clearly designed for automation. No, maintaining shitloads of files scattered throughout the entire OS is nigh impossible DESPITE the automation. There are shitloads of files scattered all around the OS that aren't properly maintained simply because uninstall file lists mismatch by various files made in runtime. Some uninstallers will track and delete them all, most won't. You can delete the install dirs, but some shit will still stay in system dirs. Not to mention files made obsolete by updates, shared libs or changes in control variables. You're just full of yourself, like all fanboys, not surprising.
Give it up, it doesn't make sense.

PlayerEmers

Educated
played starfield for about 50 hours (got kinda tired on the 40 hour mark and just rushed main story... i would probably play more but the game run like ass on my end)

its was a ok time waster... but its just too stale or bad in some aspects
hell... there are things that even fucking OUTER WORLDS did BETTER... and outer worlds is one of the most mediocre 5/10 games i've played

It's like cyberpunk but without the interesting guns, useful upgrades, fun melee, or brain hacking.
dont forget good OST, actual good looking humans (and overall graphics) and a main story that doens't put you into sleep

Vic

Savant
^ I'm calling it with the way they are going to handle mods in Starfield. they have not release proper modding tools yet and are keeping them for their own modders that they have hired to create paid mods.
Didn't it take months post release for the tools to come out for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallouts though? It certainly wasn't a day one thing IIRC.

Not saying they wouldn't do exactly as you are saying, but those tools were like 5 or 6 months post release
Creation Kit 2 is officially coming next year, but I'm remembering reading that they have it already done and have modders working internally on paid mods.. might be misremembering.

man-erg

Novice
That's what I been saying, the game is dull and just boring but you kept defending the game, I mean if you truly liked the game it's fine but it seems that you really are starting to notice what the majority noticed like at not even an hour into the game.
I just fail to see what is this supposed to be, it fails as a sandbox and it fails as an RPG because Bethesda writing and presentation sucks.

One of the common responses by fans to any criticism is that it isn't whatever you thought it would be. It isn't an RPG. It isn't an exploration game. It isn't a shooter. It isn't about the story. It isn't a space simulator. It isn't even a finished game - it's meant to be a base for mods, apparently. So yes, it is hard to figure out quite what it is.

To me, it seems a super-casual shooter. With a little time spent on scenic intermissions before the next shooting gallery loads up. Even tried watching brief bursts of those who "are having a blast" to see if anything better happens late on. But all they are doing is mindlessly travelling to the next scene where they will shoot some carrdboard cutouts painted as space pirates.

It's 99% set dressing.

Vic

Savant

Robotigan

Learned

The mechanics are in there for a much better game, though I think the discourse is rampant with critics who want the game to be something else entirely. If you're truly going to understand and critique the game, you need to take 1000 planets at face value and quit worrying about the loading screens. In practice, the game loop seems to center around landing on a planet for a mission, taking in the scenery, exploring some locations, harvesting resources, and leaving for the next one. Possibly making more planetary pitstops towards your next location. Here's how the game should support this better:

1) Reimplement the fuel system and add a survival mode. Much like FO4, the reason some mechanics feel shallow is because there's not enough pushing you to engage with them. Space segments and procedural settlement outposts are trivialized because it's too easy to blast past them and ferry yourself around between the major cities

2) There's unironically too many POIs which is causing players to meander on planets for too long, stumbling into repeat POIs. From what I can tell, there's more POI variance between planets than on a single one. Duplicate POIs shouldn't spawn in the same cell and should quit spawning in new cells once the player has encountered one. Some landmarks like featureless caves can be exceptions since they're useful resource pools. Radiant missions can also induce duplicate spawns (more on that later). But overall this change would make it more apparent when players have tapped out a planet of interesting locations and move on.

3) More connector quests. A lot of the quests, especially the radiant outpost ones, stay on-planet. Some of that is good but there needs to be more ways to send the player around while exploring. Most major questline acquisition seems to be heavily concentrated around the city hubs. There should be more that are found through a radiant event directing you towards planets.

4) POI locations should be priority queued rather than randomized so players encounter variety more consistently.

5) The major cities are given way too much prominence in general which makes the map feel too small. There should be minor settlements with a questline or two dotted around the map. You don't need custom level kits for each, a few distinguishing features is good enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom