Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Not really. I just can't stand people spouting nonfactual nonsense. If anything I somewhat admire your low satisfaction threshold.
the biggest issue here is that people assume they should all like the same game. games, like books, are different and people should not expect to all like the same new AAA game. Especially in this case as it's somewhat an experimental RPG. you could say bethesda is to blame for it by not making it clear how the game plays (basically a single player fallout 76). writing was never their strong suit, and I didn't bother with doing any quests until 20+ hours in because I knew what to expect. In this case gameplay wise it's just my jam.
Well, I'm in this thread to actually learn about the game. Given it's mostly your posts, I read them. I've been waiting for a game like that since maybe Frontier : Elite II. Many people do, that's what made scams like Star Citizen (and NMS...) even possible. But looking on Starfield gameplay I'm not even mildly interested in trying it. On other hand, Beth is a nasty corp that's been really spitting in their audience' face. Lastly, lol, it's codex. People will scrutinize, bitch and moan. It's the part of shitposting charm.

Yeah, same boat here. Of course it's disappointing that Starfield doesn't offer the sort of fully seamless sandbox that you see in NMS or Elite (or Chris Roberts' retirement vehicle), but it's also entirely understandable. I actually started following this thread a couple weeks ago because I'd read some schadenfreude-bait commentary from Star Citizen fans, worrying that Starfield would upstage their darling. So I came into this thing with unrealistic expectations.

Leaving those expectations aside, I wouldn't even mind a more segmented, story-driven experience--it's worked well enough for several RPGs set in space, like Mass Effect for example--except that we are talking about Bethesda. Bethesda's traditional strengths are openness and freedom (and spending ten hours in Mod Organizer for every hour you spend playing). Turning a Bethesda game into what appears to be a collection of disconnected corridor-shooter setpieces seems bizarre on its face. Add in the questionable decision to allow instantaneous fast travel from anywhere besides your ship, and one may begin to feel as if the "space" component of Starfield is just a tacked on minigame.

That's where the complaints about loading screens come from, IMO, not from any real concern about long loading times or out of any real desire for manual travel across whole solar systems. The design paradigm just seems self-conflicted, or at least against type. "Bethesda does Bioware" reads like a bait and switch. When you buy a Coke, you don't want it to taste like flat beer.

But I may still give Starfield a shot, treat it like a looter shooter with a background cast of San Francisco HR ladies. It seems like it should play similarly to Cyberpunk, which I enjoyed well enough for what it was. Vic's commentary has been enlightening, and like you I admire his commitment to positivity. I also very much appreciate Codex's commitment to criticizing the shit out of everything; it's saved me a lot of money and time over the years. Given the state of the video games' industry (and the constellation of media shills attached to it), having someone who will reliably talk you out of their products is invaluable. Worst case, even if you go ahead and buy a game Codex has eviscerated, you'll go into it with your eyes open.
The mechanics are in there for a much better game, though I think the discourse is rampant with critics who want the game to be something else entirely. If you're truly going to understand and critique the game, you need to take 1000 planets at face value and quit worrying about the loading screens. In practice, the game loop seems to center around landing on a planet for a mission, taking in the scenery, exploring some locations, harvesting resources, and leaving for the next one. Possibly making more planetary pitstops towards your next location. Here's how the game should support this better:

1) Reimplement the fuel system and add a survival mode. Much like FO4, the reason some mechanics feel shallow is because there's not enough pushing you to engage with them. Space segments and procedural settlement outposts are trivialized because it's too easy to blast past them and ferry yourself around between the major cities

2) There's unironically too many POIs which is causing players to meander on planets for too long, stumbling into repeat POIs. From what I can tell, there's more POI variance between planets than on a single one. Duplicate POIs shouldn't spawn in the same cell and should quit spawning in new cells once the player has encountered one. Some landmarks like featureless caves can be exceptions since they're useful resource pools. Radiant missions can also induce duplicate spawns (more on that later). But overall this change would make it more apparent when players have tapped out a planet of interesting locations and move on.

3) More connector quests. A lot of the quests, especially the radiant outpost ones, stay on-planet. Some of that is good but there needs to be more ways to send the player around while exploring. Most major questline acquisition seems to be heavily concentrated around the city hubs. There should be more that are found through a radiant event directing you towards planets.

4) POI locations should be priority queued rather than randomized so players encounter variety more consistently.

5) The major cities are given way too much prominence in general which makes the map feel too small. There should be minor settlements with a questline or two dotted around the map. You don't need custom level kits for each, a few distinguishing features is good enough.

I like your suggestions here.

I do agree that planets need to have more to them. You should be getting some missions in the settlements that take you out of town more often, even across different tiles. Mars missions do some of this, but it doesn't help the feeling of connectivity when you're just teleporting to the other side of the planet. There needs to be more, "hey, head southwest for 7 miles and deliver this package...", then once you get there, the guy sends you on another mission, leading to a linking quest chain around the vicinity. Right now it's just "do X and return".

I'd like to feel like I'm "living" on a planet like Tatooine. I can take a speeder bike from Anchorhead to Mos Eisley, fight some sand people in the canyons along the way, and pick up some resources at my moisture farm. In theory, I could play for many hours and never even leave one world. That sounds interesting to me. More interesting than jetting around to random planets for a "one and done" that I'll never go back to again.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Duplicate POIs shouldn't spawn in the same cell and should quit spawning in new cells once the player has encountered one.
there are only a handful of POIs for each type and they just get copy-pasted

Some landmarks like featureless caves can be exceptions since they're useful resource pools.
caves are actually the most useless POI as they contain only one small coffer with a few hundred credits, a "pile of dung" with random crap loot, some rare ore (lol) and potentially some aliens. complete waste of time unless you really need those resources for some reason

But overall this change would make it more apparent when players have tapped out a planet of interesting locations and move on.
all locations are the same across all planets

Robotigan

Learned
caves are actually the most useless POI as they contain only one small coffer with a few hundred coffers, some rare ore (lol) and potentially some aliens. complete waste of time unless you really need those resources for some reason
Well for one, caves are less conspicuous. They don't ruin the "Magnificent Desolation" the way structures can. And our brains are less attuned to repetition among natural features than manmade ones. But secondly, resource grinding handles repetition better because--pending correct balanced tuning--there's always a good reason to seek out resources. The only extrinsic reward you get out of a combat dungeon if you find equipment your build can make use of, everything else is empty credits. Resource exploitation always yields something worthwhile, that's why survival crafting games have become such a huge indie genre. You can also make more informed judgements about whether to land on a planet just by scanning it.

Similarly, I think copy-paste settlements aren't too bad since just having a place to buy/sell shit makes them inherently valuable. If you're going to make a procgen game, you need to structure it around locations that retain gameplay value even when encountered hundreds of times.

there are only a handful of POIs for each type and they get just get copy-pasted
all locations are the same across all planets
I'm finding new locations 70 hours in so I still think there's a better way to handle this. Maybe once the wiki has every possible location documented we'll get a better idea. Heck, maybe they should have gone back to procedurally generating entire dungeons.

Vic

Savant
The only extrinsic reward you get out of a combat dungeon if you find equipment your build can make use of, everything else is empty credits.
yeah the loot grind loop is basically find dungeon, go to the boss, hope for an improvement on your gear, find the chest, hope to get something there too, rinse repeat for hours. I've memorized every layout of every dungeon by now I think.

it would be more satisfying if there were unique set pieces to find like in the Diablo games, like this you can't really sustain this type of gameplay for a long period of time

I like that you are playing it like a survival crafting game tho, certainly many ways to play this game!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I got too bored and started watching this, then around the midpoint I felt even more bored:

Cancer Clancy

Literate
Yes, it is called woke shit genre.
So you're saying Niggerfield and Baldur's Gay 3 are in the same genre after all? Interesting.
If we go by your standards, my companions are two white girls and a white cowboy dude (and a white robot). Nobody is trying to hump me when I try to pick up a soap and both girls are waiting for me to approach them. Woke Gay 3 is much worse.

EDIT: Even the superfan dude that is hanging around my ship is white.

So you've cornered the 4 white people in the entire universe in a sea of millions of niggers and somehow this is not woke, really? As the leftoids say, do better...
7z6184.jpg
Tell me you haven't actually played 30 hours of Starfield without saying you haven't actually played 30 hours of Starfield.
Yeah I mean the generic NPC's are pretty non-causoid in New Atlantis but a to of names NPC's are causoid or mongoloid.

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
Streaming on a ten year old Xbox One via gamepass. Surprisingly playable. Occasional pixelation and blurs, but honestly very smooth for the most part. No crashes. No major bugs. I'm kind of amazed at how well it's holding up on a shitty, outdated system via WiFi cloud stream no less.

Writing is subpar. Balance is horrible. Combat AI is horrible. Exploration is mediocre. QOL features desparately needed.

Mods will fix it. Game is good. Playing as a Han Solo/James Kirk hybrid is fun. Tons of stuff to do. I like being in space.

Kiste

Augur
NMS had its problems and I wasn't a fan but retrospectively it was a very obvious example of people just designating a game as bad as a meme, and dogpiling on it for cool points with internet strangers. Seems to happen a lot lately, people just pick on random games that come out and pile in on them as the single worst thing ever created. That's not to excuse Murray's lies and false promises of course.

It's pretty tiring, I don't remember the culture around gaming being like this back in the 2000s even though a lot of the games coming out were way worse than shit like NMS. The only game I remember thinking got unfairly slated in a big way back in the day was Daikatana, which wasn't anywhere near as bad as people made out (though not great).

Oh, fuck off. They let the hype get out of hand and did nothing to manage expectations, quite the opposite, in fact. They also made the decision to price this small indie survival game like a full-price title to cash in on the hype. If NMS had been a $14.99 title, as it should have been, the response would have been different.

This POS sold 10 million copies. That made everyone at Hello Games a multi-millionaire over night. The fact that they released some patches instead of just laughing their way to the bank barely makes it better. If you've scammed enough money to retire on, I guess you can indulge your victims at least a bit.

They deserved every bit of the shit they got and the fact that there technically were worse games than NMS does not mean it wasn't a fucking pile of shit. It was, unless you're the kind of autist who compulsively plays every boring a shit survival game.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
<retarded stuff>
No, they made ~$40m gross in 2016. After Sony's cut and Steam's cut, plus corporate taxes, not even half of it left. If their CEO owned half of the company theoretically he could have paid himself half of that as a dividend, and after income tax be left with $5m.

I doubt he made that much. Even if he did, it's not exactly money you want to retire on in your prime.

NMS wasn't a great game. It wasn't the scam of the century either.

Vic

Savant
Thread is dead, game also dead?
there just isn’t much to do at this point, all systems are barebones, I’m uninstalling it when Cyberpunk DLC comes out because I don’t have enough space for both on my SSD and hopefully they improve the game over the next 1-2 years to where the gameplay can actually compete with indie titles

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh, fuck off. They let the hype get out of hand and did nothing to manage expectations, quite the opposite, in fact. They also made the decision to price this small indie survival game like a full-price title to cash in on the hype. If NMS had been a $14.99 title, as it should have been, the response would have been different.

This POS sold 10 million copies. That made everyone at Hello Games a multi-millionaire over night. The fact that they released some patches instead of just laughing their way to the bank barely makes it better. If you've scammed enough money to retire on, I guess you can indulge your victims at least a bit.

They deserved every bit of the shit they got and the fact that there technically were worse games than NMS does not mean it wasn't a fucking pile of shit. It was, unless you're the kind of autist who compulsively plays every boring a shit survival game.
I pirated it so I don't care about any of this.

Gargaune

Arcane

Completely agreed, I've said it before that NMS was an indie darling promoted to AAA ripoff. And there's no "redemption story" to be had while it continues to sit in the incorrect market segment. Hello Games made out like bandits so it was an easy choice to keep a small crew tinkering with it, you polish up your rep, make a few more sales and still have a formal occupation to talk about at soirées on your brand new yacht.

People might've put a lot of the blame on Sony but Murray made a lot of dubious statements during the marketing cycle and, if memory serves, one of the most telling ones was when he replied to a rando's query about the AAA price tag saying something like "it took four years to make, so why wouldn't it be priced like that?" Because four years multiplied by a dozen people is the same production value as four years by a hundred in a AAA studio, duh. I'm skeptical that Sony would've forced him to voluntarily post bullshit on Twitter.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i can't believe how obnoxious every single character is. from followers consistently not contributing anything in combat, over getting girlbossed at in every single questline, to the pedestrians giving you their fluoride diversity stare when you run around town. every aspect of npcs in the game is atrocious. they even made quest essential characters worse by making some of them ethereal beings, depriving you even from the satisfaction of being able to bash them unconscious. and the injury to the insult is that a ryzen 3600 with a 3060 can not even get a consistent 60 fps at 1080p with fsr enabled.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The First Contact quest is such a massive wasted opportunity (then again that might as well be a subtitle for this game, but I'll rant about that later when I finish it), it's like someone had a good idea for a quest that for a change somehow doesn't 100% rip off a known movie or show (maybe a story or novel, anyway the closest but not that close to it that I recall is that Babylon 5 episode) and then tell the shitty summer intern to do the rest so that the intern can pad his resume or evaluation card (probably it was just Emil or some other hack they're keeping for years rather than an intern that was responsible, but you get my point).

Your choice is essentially either: sell the pre-FTL colony ship into slavery on Paradiso, buy them a grav drive for a lot of cash (40k/25k with persuasion) or kill them via sabotage.

All are suggested by the Paradiso board. The option to fuck over the corp running Paradiso in favor of the colony ship with a plan the colonists would suggest? Not there, despite the colony ship captain mentioning that they had a claim 200 years ago.

You could search earth ruins for the claim or steal it from a museum or something or go for some other "lost/stolen mine/farm deed" quest archetype with a minor twist, and it would still make it stand out from the spacer-killing and gopher filler quests this game has in droves, so many possibilities, but lol no, let's half-ass it. This is ignoring that if they had enough resources and even a mediocre designer with room-temperature (in celcius) IQ, this could have been easily turned into a longer quest chain and storyline, one better or more interesting than what they did for Ryujin at least (well Ryujin could have been good if the quests had proper fail-states for lack of stealth or speech-craft).

Last edited:

random_name

Novice
I hate looting so much. It ruins most Bethesda games for me. 5 minutes of gunplay for 15 minutes of looting and 10 minutes of inventory management. Just give me credits and rare items every once in a while. Fuck Bethesda and everyone who enjoys this crap.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hate looting so much. It ruins most Bethesda games for me. 5 minutes of gunplay for 15 minutes of looting and 10 minutes of inventory management. Just give me credits and rare items every once in a while. Fuck Bethesda and everyone who enjoys this crap.
I think it wouldn't be too bad if they didn't model like every bit of trash you could think of. Do you want to pick up a toilet paper tube? No? How about a tea cup? No? What kind of space explorer are you anyway?

:rage:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's extra shit in Starfield. In Fallout 4, everything save for burnt books and folders, could be used in one way or another. Usually settlement building so your mileage may vary. But in Starfield, they hired that psychopath modder who made those overly cluttered player homes for Skyrim, to do the lived in appearance of everything. Where this game fails dramatically, is that there is more trash that ever, and most of it is just that, trash. It can't be used for anything. It sells for shit. And there is tons of it. Then to compound the issues, if you use your scanner to check out everything in a room, it highlights everything that can be picked up. Not just the ammo, locked container, and medkits, etc. It highlights every single fucking thing. There is no way to filter what gets highlighted or not. It's absolute shit. This is coming from someone that loves playing slow and looting.

Vic

Savant
you get used to it after a while and can recognize important items at a glance. Even tho there's a lot of items, most of them are just the same everywhere.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's extra shit in Starfield. In Fallout 4, everything save for burnt books and folders, could be used in one way or another. Usually settlement building so your mileage may vary. But in Starfield, they hired that psychopath modder who made those overly cluttered player homes for Skyrim, to do the lived in appearance of everything. Where this game fails dramatically, is that there is more trash that ever, and most of it is just that, trash. It can't be used for anything. It sells for shit. And there is tons of it. Then to compound the issues, if you use your scanner to check out everything in a room, it highlights everything that can be picked up. Not just the ammo, locked container, and medkits, etc. It highlights every single fucking thing. There is no way to filter what gets highlighted or not. It's absolute shit. This is coming from someone that loves playing slow and looting.
This. Who the hell thought that'd be a good idea?

Hey, this pirate base used to be a UC colony. Better load it up with file folders, highlighters, and used coffee go cups because that's what everyone's still using in 3056AD (or whatever year)! Jesus.

There's more office stationery shit laying around than I've seen in real world offices, especially these days when a lot of places are paperless. In the future? Totally ridiculous. Nevermind in a space exploration game, not fucking "Wage Slave Simulator".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom