Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
People might've put a lot of the blame on Sony but Murray made a lot of dubious statements during the marketing cycle and, if memory serves, one of the most telling ones was when he replied to a rando's query about the AAA price tag saying something like "it took four years to make, so why wouldn't it be priced like that?" Because four years multiplied by a dozen people is the same production value as four years by a hundred in a AAA studio, duh. I'm skeptical that Sony would've forced him to voluntarily post bullshit on Twitter.
Nothing has damaged indie games more than the notion that games should be valued according to how much money was spent developing them, rather than a game's quality and duration. All too many people are willing to pay $60-70 for AAA games while insisting that an indie game should cost perhaps $15-20, even if the indie game provides better quality for a similar length of time relative to AAA games. Indie games are intrinsically aimed at a narrower, niche audience, but a good indie game will provide this target audience with the quality it seeks in a manner that cannot be found in AAA games that appeal to a wider, lowest-common-denominator audience.

Yosharian

Arcane
This is beyond retarded.

1694899052747787.png
Well this explains a lot

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What in the goddamn?
Is this fixable via mods or will the game forever be stuck with this dumb shit?
It's fixable, just requires modders to do the work for free that consoooomers players paid Bethesda for.

IIRC, Skyrim had mesh optimizations mods. But I'm not sure anything was as bad as that needlessly complex box.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
When Voltaire said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good," I don't believe he was thinking that PC gaming smoothness and interesting AI would be held up due to bottlenecking in trying to render the Platonic form of a shipping crate. Yet here we are. Life is a series of marvels.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People might've put a lot of the blame on Sony but Murray made a lot of dubious statements during the marketing cycle and, if memory serves, one of the most telling ones was when he replied to a rando's query about the AAA price tag saying something like "it took four years to make, so why wouldn't it be priced like that?" Because four years multiplied by a dozen people is the same production value as four years by a hundred in a AAA studio, duh. I'm skeptical that Sony would've forced him to voluntarily post bullshit on Twitter.
Nothing has damaged indie games more than the notion that games should be valued according to how much money was spent developing them, rather than a game's quality and duration. All too many people are willing to pay $60-70 for AAA games while insisting that an indie game should cost perhaps $15-20, even if the indie game provides better quality for a similar length of time relative to AAA games. Indie games are intrinsically aimed at a narrower, niche audience, but a good indie game will provide this target audience with the quality it seeks in a manner that cannot be found in AAA games that appeal to a wider, lowest-common-denominator audience.
Funny enough, indie games nowadays overall have all had better content and with better quality than your average AAA studio crap.

Last edited:

Wasteland

Educated
Pretty sure this is completely unfixable. Modders would have to edit every godamn object in the game.
Yeah, I wouldn't rule it out entirely, as modder autism is virtually unlimited, but based on what I'm reading here it would be a huge undertaking to fix this problem. Blender has very good tools for reducing triangle count with minimal quality loss--all the more reason to deride Bethesda's moonlighting telephone scammers ... uh, outsourced Indian artists--but the tools are not perfect. Each object would need at least a little personal attention.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pretty sure this is completely unfixable. Modders would have to edit every godamn object in the game.
Yeah, I wouldn't rule it out entirely, as modder autism is virtually unlimited, but based on what I'm reading here it would be a huge undertaking to fix this problem. Blender has very good tools for reducing triangle count with minimal quality loss--all the more reason to deride Bethesda's moonlighting telephone scammers ... uh, outsourced Indian artists--but the tools are not perfect. Each object would need at least a little personal attention.
It's kinda insane that there is so little attention to detail for this kind of thing in Bethesda's teams

Hellraiser

Arcane
It's kinda insane that there is so little attention to detail for this kind of thing in Bethesda's teams
They probably trusted the pajeet contractors that their QA controls are sufficient and didn't do any on their side, you never do that with pajeet contractors. Then again anyone aware of that wouldn't ever make a decision to use them, it's always suits, mostly american ones (nobody uses them outside of the US, it's always american corps, eurocorps pick central/eastern europe or philipines), looking at numbers failing to stop and think for a few minutes why the cost disparity is what it is despite globalization and "skilled worker" visas. Nobody who can do near "western" quality work in India stays in India to be paid the 10-12 times less (at least that used to be the figure) than an american, they would have to be as brain dead as the suits to not see the obvious better alternatives, but the MBA types don't get it or they're on purpose grifting shareholders by "optimizing" KPIs knowing all too well the actual problems the contractors introduce are not visible through metrics and external audits sure as hell won't see it.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I asked Infinitron to remove the Bethestard tag via PM and he said he will if I post my messege in this thread, so here it is:

I don't think it's justified and negatively affects the perception of my posts!

The last Bethesda game I played was in 2015 when Fallout 4 released, and now again with Starfield which I've played for 2 weeks. And I'm not going to play another Bethesda game until they either release a major DLC or TES 6 comes out.... I do enjoy their games but I wouldn't call myself as a Bethesda fan. They aren't even among my favorite games nor do I consider them RPGs but action-adventure with RPG elements.

Starfield was my hope to counteract the woke influx of BG3 so maybe I got a little carried away there but it turned out to be even more woke than BG3, it's kind of disgusting and I feel disgusted seeing the company logo under every post I make.

If you could remove it that would be nice because it really does bother me.

Thanks,

This is the post that earned me the tag btw, so make of this story what you will, I'm not saying staff is biased or anything...

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...me-studios-release-thread.148199/post-8661770

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I asked Infinitron to remove the Bethestard tag via PM and he said he will if I post my messege in this thread, so here it is:

I don't think it's justified and negatively affects the perception of my posts!

The last Bethesda game I played was in 2015 when Fallout 4 released, and now again with Starfield which I've played for 2 weeks. And I'm not going to play another Bethesda game until they either release a major DLC or TES 6 comes out.... I do enjoy their games but I wouldn't call myself as a Bethesda fan. They aren't even among my favorite games nor do I consider them RPGs but action-adventure with RPG elements.

Starfield was my hope to counteract the woke influx of BG3 so maybe I got a little carried away there but it turned out to be even more woke than BG3, it's kind of disgusting and I feel disgusted seeing the company logo under every post I make.

If you could remove it that would be nice because it really does bother me.

Thanks,

This is the post that earned me the tag btw, so make of this story what you will, I'm not saying staff is biased or anything...

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...me-studios-release-thread.148199/post-8661770
Yea remove the Bethestard tag and add the Shitposter and Retarded tags.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Yea remove the Bethestard tag and add the Shitposter and Retarded tags.
how so? game was fun for two weeks but there isn't much to do due to the barebones systems, and the writing is so boring I don't think I'll be able to finish up one faction quest.

I'm more excited for the Cyberpunk DLC now and Starfield will have to make space on my SSD for that soon, tho I will try to finish up at least the UC questline before then, but I'm not hopeful.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I must give it to Todd, from what i watched those alternative NG+ starts look quite interesting, like in one you can recruit yourself as a crew member or meet another version of you that get tired of playing nice and turned into murderhobo...Though i presume that most of the weird changes are limited to that Constellation meeting scene and rest of the Starborn stuff is the same in all NG+ variations. Shame that the rest of the game ended how it did, even if most of us expected that would happen.

Gargaune

Arcane
As you noted, Fallout 4 is the outlier. But Starfield, attempts to immitate Fallout 4 in many ways. As did Fallout 76. Starfield though, has far more junk. Not only that, most, by most I mean damn near everything, has no use or value. It is almost double the amount of total junk items. One way to check for items is to scan the room. When you scan the room, it highlights all junk. Everything. And there is a whole lot of it. So you are left, until you learn exactly what to look for, with a room full of junk, as you sort through what you can and can't use. Even when you know exactly what you need and how it looks to the naked eye or on a scan, each room is so crammed full of this kind of lived in clutter (while it certainly looks nice in many ways if a bit busy and inappropriate in many cases), where each desk has personal knick-knacks, pirate rooms have slippers neatly placed under their bed ready for their feet to slip into as they wake, coffee cups, the amount of fucking coffee cups, the list goes on and on. It is a real slog to get through and the polar opposite of fun. Tag me if you can when you do get around to playing.
If I'm reading you right, the issue is that a scanner feature should highlight interactive items on the assumption that they're useful, but if everything's interactive with or without an use, it becomes pointless. I get it, leave it to Todd to push out a half-arsed implementation, and then to modders to fix it, like Vic said.

I'll get around to playing it myself, that's pretty much a definite, just waiting for the mod scene to settle.

I'm not making an argument of objective value, Murray was, and doing it disingenuously, to boot. Products cost as much as the market is willing to pay for them to maximise profits, I know.

The problem is that, like it or not, a price tag is also a component of advertising and self-classification - when you price yourself in an established market segment, potential customers expect similar levels of content, polish and production value, you are telling buyers what sort of experience you mean to supply relative to other offerings. Beyond all other issues, bugs, the vacuous game loop, Murray's own "overly optimistic" statements, the reality is that the primary reason for NMS's immense backlash was that AAA price tag. It cost as much as a contemporary AAA production, like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, so gullible customers ignored certain aspects of what they were seeing and expected that caliber of experience. If NMS had come out with a $30 asking price, it'd have gotten all the leeway indie productions get and there'd have been no scandal.

And I have a hard time believing that HG fell so deeply in love with their little indie art game that they forgot that, doubly so when Murray comes out and makes said disingenuous argument of objective value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom