Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Iucounu

Educated
This is beyond retarded.

1694899052747787.png
It could be intentional:

1. Saves development cost.

2. Makes gullible PC "Master Race" gamers buy new PC hardware (game developer gets kickback from hardware sales).

3. When modders optimize the game for free, the game will get continued media exposure for years to come.
How is this approach supposed to fulfill point 1?
It iss faster to churn out an unoptimized mesh, especially when you need to make those for various clutter and sundry items like pencils, desk decorations, toys, potatoes, apples, sandwiches, cheese?
It could also be that low wage workers don't know or care about optimization. Management will then only require enough of it to make the game barely run acceptable on the various GPU generations, but no more than that.

Ryzer

Arcane
There is something very wrong about 2023"s game tech when you need a 3070 and 16 GB of ram to render faces worse than Silent Hill 3 that ran on a 256MB RAM/GeForce 3Ti/Radeon8500 (VRAM32MB) rig.
Case in point, 2003's Silent Hill 3:
sh32009-09-1121-29-24-8itz.jpg

vs

4151247-screenshot2023-06-11112948.png

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
"Placeholderfield". It feels like some of the enemies and environments are placeholders. Land on planet "Placeholder 17" and shoot a few "Placeholder 5's" before going to talk to "Placeholder 63" and collect "Placeholder 9" to finish "Quest 14".

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I must give it to Todd, from what i watched those alternative NG+ starts look quite interesting, like in one you can recruit yourself as a crew member or meet another version of you that get tired of playing nice and turned into murderhobo...Though i presume that most of the weird changes are limited to that Constellation meeting scene and rest of the Starborn stuff is the same in all NG+ variations. Shame that the rest of the game ended how it did, even if most of us expected that would happen.

And just think you only have to grind this pile of shit through the main quest 10 times to unlock it! Nigga please...

I finished it last night 60 hours played, that was 60 hours of my life I will never get back Thankfully, I paid 0 dollars for it and I'm ok with that. Cottonfield™ was utter shit for the most part with a few bright spots mixed in here & there. The diversity alone dialed up to 11 left a very bad taste in my mouth. I could have suffered through Niggerfield had the game been amazing in other ways but when you add the utterly bland gameplay, lack of interesting quests, etc. it was just a dumpster fire for the most part. Crimson Fleet and Vanguard factions were "ok", main quest had some sparks of creativity punctuated by mostly boring ass point A to point B fetch quests, a very tedious final mission, a completely uninspired boring "final fight", and just general crappiness.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Finished it today. Did the main quest, all faction quests, three companion quests and a few other quests.

My final verdict: 4,5/10.

To put it into context with its peer group: Fallout: New Vegas = Morrowind > Skyrim > Fallout 3 = Starfield = Oblivion > Mass Effect Andromeda = Fallout 4 > The Outer Worlds
Eh, while I agree with the score that pecking order just doesn't work for me apart from rightfully shitting on TOW. Bear in mind I never played Oblivion and Andromeda out of those. TOW is probably the only game I had to force myself to finish rather than drop it, it was an otter eating watermelon effort for me and I regret it to this day. Should have dropped it shortly after doing that independent colony ship location and landing on Monarch, that game was even more monotonous than Starfield's infinite number of spacer cannon fodder you see, shoot and loot everywhere.

Skyrim at some point just bored me and I dropped it, maybe because I stupidly decided to go with a melee warrior character which doesn't make for enjoyable combat, also how many fucking Draugrs can you fight? It does get points for the nordic theme and adding perks to the learning by doing skill system. I guess the writing is passable, as in not offending anyone with a brain every 5 minutes. Maybe when I'm bored one day I'll give it another shot (good luck with ever reaching that point with my backlog and family life, maybe in 10 years).

Fallout 3 is filled with samey subway tunnels, has dumb quests, meh main quest and especially the original ending that even made "normies" complain about it being stupid, horrible gunplay (which is the bulk of the actual gameplay) and actively insults anyone who played the first two games with the toddster's interpretation of the setting or post-nuclear settings in general. The open world hiking part kind of gets a pass (despite the POI compass innovation ruining the joy of stumbling upon something accidentally) and they did try hard to make skills (traps in particular, but also repair) to be useful, not to mention use speech checks, but that's as much praise as I can give them for this game. However I played it twice in my life, once at release once after all the DLC, and this is one game I never intend to touch again. New Vegas gives you almost all of the good parts from Fallout 3 (I will admit though that Washington DC felt more open than the Mojave, despite the need to find subway tunnels to bypass debris field invisible walls) and various improvements on top of better writing. And even despite all the good parts I couldn't really finish my 3rd playthrough of New Vegas last year (although I did the bulk of the quests and DLC...), as the gameplay does get stale eventually, especially the combat.

Fallout 4 had the bad luck of being called Fallout 4. This would have been a decent although janky open world shooter with RPG elements if the obvious comparisons (and related expectations) to even just Bethpizda's previous take on Fallout wouldn't immediately come to mind and it wouldn't be lined up with RPG titles. Even with the flawed forcing of settlements on the player, the yes/no/yes but le funny dialog choices, as a standalone new IP from a no name game developer studio this would probably become a niche classic easily with no major controversy. Instead you see the obvious decline in RPG elements and shift of focus towards (but not quite) a survival game with this settlement managed system. Boston, despite some obvious bethpizda execution problems, had interesting enough factions and locations at least conceptually. Certainly a major improvement over the fucking vampires, little lamplight and uncreative cardboard cutout reuse of the BoS, FEV and the Enclave from Fallout 3.

Now where to put Starfield in this context? Well I didn't drop it as fast as Skyrim and had fun with the spaceship minigame(s), boarding ships and occasional interesting encounters in space that I wrote about earlier. It does some thing better than their prior games, primarily dialog choices based on background traits and skills (although they often don't matter and it's just fluff like in Cyberpunk 2077), but the strong points of hiking/open world exploration or even things like NPCs on a schedule and proper open cities where you can break into everywhere are missing. Bethesda tried to take its formula to the stars and barely made it to orbit if you ask me. And if the intention was to make an actual "space adventure sandbox game" rather than a Fallout 4/Skyrim hybrid with a space combat minigame then they failed utterly. And this is before I touch on the not even quarter-assed execution of the main quest, which I have yet to finish (not much left, just crimson fleet and then it). At this point it also looks like it would take major expansions to make me want to ever replay this. It's not as bad overall as an experience as Fallout 3 was mind you, and certainly it is far from the fucking boring shit that TOW is, but the basic gameplay experience just lacks enough depth, variety or challenge to try it with another character build. Even the NG+ gimmick seems pointless to me because the sandbox part is so shallow, despite being actually a fairly fresh take on the idea that makes sense from the storytelling perspective.

Last edited:

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Alright so I bought the deluxe edition because you fucks are always wrong about everything.

The beginning was... odd, to say the least.

You're told by your diverse boss to walk into a cave and pick up some priceless artifact for her. "It's probably too dangerous for the boss lady" I thought, but nope, there was no danger just go and pick it up, have some half-assed vision, fine.

Boss lady says she's now going to hand the artifact over to a rich buyer, and I, the guy she just met and doesn't know or trust, am somehow part of that meet.

Alright, I'll probably get railroaded into something, off we go. Rich buyer lands, but oh no he was being tailed, but it's OK because it's a tutorial gunfight, look, I can even kill the unnamed guys on my side for their loot and nobody gives a fuck.

Boss lady and buyer know each other from a place they can't agree on. What they can agree on however is that buyer gives me his spaceship to take the artifact to wherever, and he stays behind to mine for boss lady so she's not short of a guy. They literally discuss this.

So I, the guy they don't know and can't trust, I'm up some artifact that they were desperately after. I'm up a spaceship, a robot, all the shit I looted from the dead bodies, and off I go adventuring - while they stay behind to toil in the mines.

Even if I'm being set up as a patsy, this is LAME AS FUCK. But I have the feeling it's not a setup, it's just the worst start to a Bethesda game ever. It's just ABSOLUTE FUCKING RETARDS writing this shit. WHAT THE FUCK.

whytvisshit.jpg

Attachment unrelated. Lol.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Alright so I bought the deluxe edition because you fucks are always wrong about everything.

The beginning was... odd, to say the least.

You're told by your diverse boss to walk into a cave and pick up some priceless artifact for her. "It's probably too dangerous for the boss lady" I thought, but nope, there was no danger just go and pick it up, have some half-assed vision, fine.

Boss lady says she's now going to hand the artifact over to a rich buyer, and I, the guy she just met and doesn't know or trust, am somehow part of that meet.

Alright, I'll probably get railroaded into something, off we go. Rich buyer lands, but oh no he was being tailed, but it's OK because it's a tutorial gunfight, look, I can even kill the unnamed guys on my side for their loot and nobody gives a fuck.

Boss lady and buyer know each other from a place they can't agree on. What they can agree on however is that buyer gives me his spaceship to take the artifact to wherever, and he stays behind to mine for boss lady so she's not short of a guy. They literally discuss this.

So I, the guy they don't know and can't trust, I'm up some artifact that they were desperately after. I'm up a spaceship, a robot, all the shit I looted from the dead bodies, and off I go adventuring - while they stay behind to toil in the mines.

Even if I'm being set up as a patsy, this is LAME AS FUCK. But I have the feeling it's not a setup, it's just the worst start to a Bethesda game ever. It's just ABSOLUTE FUCKING RETARDS writing this shit. WHAT THE FUCK.

View attachment 41242

Attachment unrelated. Lol.
Get todded subhuman you deserve it.

:mixedemotions:

Aphex81

Scholar
This is propably the most blatant white replacement power fantasy i have ever seen in a video game. I blame microsoft and their cheap pajeet sweatshop programmers. The only dress in the game is some hideous indian shitstained sack. Every npc is a nigger or a woman. At some point i even counted the crew on a ship and it was 10 white women and 4 niggers. Todd lost control over his company. In the concept art for example Cora Coe was a cute white girl with red hair and now she's a mutt despite having 2 white parents. Either Sam got cucked or the pajeets don't understand genetics.

Everything from microsoft is white replacement propaganda. They saw woke studios going broke and now they step in with their infinite money to keep the pozz oozing. This isn't about selling games anymore, it's full on whitey needs to die narrative.

Vasco (the robot) decides to go after the rest of the pirate group to finish them off, so the implication is that he's stronger than you at that point and can prevent you from trying anything funny (not that you can try to disobey since he will only let you fly to the pirate hideout and then new atlantis)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Vasco (the robot) decides to go after the rest of the pirate group to finish them off, so the implication is that he's stronger than you at that point and can prevent you from trying anything funny (not that you can try to disobey since he will only let you fly to the pirate hideout and then new atlantis)

Going after the pirates makes no sense. The ship has FTL propulsion that can jump on an at most 10 second notice and you already blasted their ships in orbit. Even if they could jump some spare ships after the Frontier they would end up above New Atlantis with who knows how many UC patrol ships happy to atomize them as soon as they scan them.

Only way this would make sense (yes, I know this is bethpizda, the same people that gave us Fallout 3's ridiculous sacrifice choice) is if Vasco was programmed to take any opportunity to kill via some kind of first law of murderhobo robotics.

Modron

Arcane
Beth modders caused this polygon assplosion. The ones making 42k polygon cubes are probably ex-modders that they hired.
It was the Wyrmlord studios they contracted to do menial tasks, see the big 4chan image for the crate's credits: Siddharth Rakshit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm sorry, the fuck is with this NG+ shit? Is this a thing now? Why?
have to squeeze out gametime somehow out of the 1000 planets

This is the first time i ever even heard of it. When did this shit start?
New Game+ was a thing for a long time now. First game I know that utilized it was Chrono Trigger (1995)

I'm talking about when did it become a thing in mainstream western games.
Dark Souls

Modron

Arcane
I'm talking about when did it become a thing in mainstream western games.
While I am sure there were probably games that did it first on consoles of course I'd say Mass Effect 1 probably. ME had in game achievements for a variety of things that when unlocked which gave you bonus benefits to a variety of stats, had achievements for running with x npcs through like 70% of the game and such (Alpha Protocol copied it and had a new game+ mode if I recall which unlocked the final tier of stats/skills along with a higher max level). Mass Effect 2 had it as well, I tried it there but was disappointed in that your weapon pick at the geth ship just replaced your previous choice no machine gun and massive single shot sniper rifle combo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom