Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
So many little nitpicks that I have about this game that are driving me up the wall.
  1. Any interaction with the world NEEDS to go as followed: put item in inventory -> use item. You can't just eat or read anything by interacting with it.
  2. Different control scheme for menus, space, walking, workbenches, etc... .
  3. Most travel options have an instant travel option in some navigation menu. Even if it's a 50 meter walk, you can just skip it by clicking on some navigation menu. This is quick-travel taken to the ludicrous extreme.
  4. Menus in menus in menus. Holy fuck, fire you UX department.
I can see the bones of a worthwhile game, but they've done their best to completely pull you out of experiencing/interacting with the world. It really is fucking menu simulator 2023.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So many little nitpicks that I have about this game that are driving me up the wall.
  1. Any interaction with the world NEEDS to go as followed: put item in inventory -> use item. You can't just eat or read anything by interacting with it.
  2. Different control scheme for menus, space, walking, workbenches, etc... .
  3. Most travel options have an instant travel option in some navigation menu. Even if it's a 50 meter walk, you can just skip it by clicking on some navigation menu. This is quick-travel taken to the ludicrous extreme.
  4. Menus in menus in menus. Holy fuck, fire you UX department.
I can see the bones of a worthwhile game, but they've done their best to completely pull you out of experiencing/interacting with the world. It really is fucking menu simulator 2023.
Because it was too hard to make seperate UI for controller and K&M in a 200 mil $ game.
I am still amazed that after so many of their games that have mods with 3x better UI Bethesda is still not capable of putting in basic features like sorting.. at this point this must be pure hatred for their players.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think a separate UI for consoles or PC would help a lot. There are fundamental bad decisions concerning UI/UX flow (e.g. menus in menus) that I don't think even mods can fix.

On topic: I tried the mission to infiltrate Crimson Fleet. Lets ignore that I am known face by now in the galaxy and that I killed a bunch of their ships and captains by now, if bethesda cared they could say you got a face lift and a new identity for the duration of this mission. But then I arrive at their HQ flying my brand new Ranger spaceship and NOBODY fucking cares.. how hard is it to implement that you cannot use ONE fucking ship in the game doing this missions, even if it is a mission for UC.
We can even kind of ignore that UC still wants you as their Vanguard AFTER you became full fledged Ranger but CF just letting you waltz in with Ranger spaceship and pretend like nothing is happening it laziest quest design ever.
I did the ENTIRE quest arc in the fucking unaltered MANTIS ship.

...Not one single reference to the ship at all from the pirates. The ship even level 75 spacers/pirates randomly flee screaming "It's the Mantis!!!"

Hellraiser

Arcane
I don't think a separate UI for consoles or PC would help a lot. There are fundamental bad decisions concerning UI/UX flow (e.g. menus in menus) that I don't think even mods can fix.

There are two sources of the bad UI/UX decisions:

Consoles
Bethesda

You can't get rid of either of them. Bethesda UIs sucked since at least Fallout 3 (probably Oblivion, but I never played it).

ArchAngel

Arcane
On topic: I tried the mission to infiltrate Crimson Fleet. Lets ignore that I am known face by now in the galaxy and that I killed a bunch of their ships and captains by now, if bethesda cared they could say you got a face lift and a new identity for the duration of this mission. But then I arrive at their HQ flying my brand new Ranger spaceship and NOBODY fucking cares.. how hard is it to implement that you cannot use ONE fucking ship in the game doing this missions, even if it is a mission for UC.
We can even kind of ignore that UC still wants you as their Vanguard AFTER you became full fledged Ranger but CF just letting you waltz in with Ranger spaceship and pretend like nothing is happening it laziest quest design ever.
I did the ENTIRE quest arc in the fucking unaltered MANTIS ship.

...Not one single reference to the ship at all from the pirates. The ship even level 75 spacers/pirates randomly flee screaming "It's the Mantis!!!"
What ship is this Mantis?

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron

World's biggest mod site bans pronoun-removing Starfield mod: 'We stand for diversity and inclusion'

Nexus Mods confirmed that it had deleted the mod, saying, "Hosting this mod was not for us and it is certainly within our rights not to host content on our platform," in a statement to 404 Media. "It's not a 'political statement' or an 'alignment to one side or the other in the culture war.' We stand for diversity and inclusion in our community and the removal of diversity, while appealing to many, does not promote a positive modding community."

And yet every LGBTQIA+ mod that invents its own "realism" by removing/reducing heterosexuals in the name of creating more diversity and inclusion, will be celebrated
and allowed.

Genocide the heteros, the whites, the males, to make room for literally anything else. That is all any of this shit really is.

Genocide the humans etc, to make room for other races.

And all such mods could be interesting, but if the admin of Nexus mods is suggesting they imply something deeper,
we can be assured by the admin's own actions they are engaging in a genocidal decision process.

That's the real paradox of tolerance.

abija

Prophet
Unlike Mantis (and many other things in the game), joining Crimson Fleet with Ranger/UC ship makes perfect sense.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Unlike Mantis (and many other things in the game), joining Crimson Fleet with Ranger/UC ship makes perfect sense.

In all those cases the "I stole it, I'm that good of a pirate so please let me join" excuse works. Spacers did try to get revenge on the Mantis and hunt him down for years after all, somebody would take his ship and fly it around with the jolly roger strapped-on as the ultimate insult eventually.

There's a quest involving a vigilante hero killing spacers called the Mantis, basically a space batman (yeah, it's bethesda alright...). You can get his ship and armor set, and it prompts some reaction from spacers and other space scum IIRC (personally I never bothered to fly the ship or wear the armor myself after getting them).

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane

World's biggest mod site bans pronoun-removing Starfield mod: 'We stand for diversity and inclusion'

Nexus Mods confirmed that it had deleted the mod, saying, "Hosting this mod was not for us and it is certainly within our rights not to host content on our platform," in a statement to 404 Media. "It's not a 'political statement' or an 'alignment to one side or the other in the culture war.' We stand for diversity and inclusion in our community and the removal of diversity, while appealing to many, does not promote a positive modding community."
Doesn't having more mod options increase diversity?

I actually recommend reading the article for both a sad commentary on where we are as a society & an example of living satire. The article ends with a paean to censorship... and then the comment section is completely obliterated, reduced to "0 comments" despite having a graveyard of deleted comments. They really are proud of being the boot from 1984. These people will be so smug--right up until the moment they are loaded into the guillotine.
Holy crap, you are not joking:

8thcmRI.png

abija

Prophet
They made such a big deal with the Mantis, it should be aknowledged, praised etc.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They made such a big deal with the Mantis, it should be aknowledged, praised etc.

Oh this I agree with, you should get prestigious pirate praise and some other bonus in such a case. Hell the alternative way to get that quest should have been directly from the Crimson Fleet as a hitjob. Although the Mantis and the heir to the title are already dead, but why waste a good opportunity to [Lie] for fame and glory?

ArchAngel

Arcane

In all those cases the "I stole it, I'm that good of a pirate so please let me join" excuse works. Spacers did try to get revenge on the Mantis and hunt him down for years after all, somebody would take his ship and fly it around with the jolly roger strapped-on as the ultimate insult eventually.

There's a quest involving a vigilante hero killing spacers called the Mantis, basically a space batman (yeah, it's bethesda alright...). You can get his ship and armor set, and it prompts some reaction from spacers and other space scum IIRC (personally I never bothered to fly the ship or wear the armor myself after getting them).
Sure if the game had such a question and response. But it just ignores it completely.

That's exactly my point - you kill / steal Space Batman's ship and there's not one line of dialog from the pirates (while doing a mythical lost pirate's treasure questline) yet you can easily get twenty copies of the Secret Outpost! slates?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
That's exactly my point - you kill / steal Space Batman's ship and there's not one line of dialog from the pirates (while doing a mythical lost pirate's treasure questline) yet you can easily get twenty copies of the Secret Outpost! slates?
the mantis is a vigilante (always a woman) who acts as a bounty hunter. It's not exactly like being a pirate.

the mantis is a vigilante (always a woman) who acts as a bounty hunter. It's not exactly like being a pirate.
No, it was a dude before the rich mom got it and ended up getting her unloved son killed because she forgot to tell him about the turrets when she passed on the Mantis lair in her will. And pirates were / still are afraid when they see the Mantis ship and you will randomly have dialog if you jump into a system that spacers / pirates appear in and try to attack you. Just, not on The Key (because of shitty quest writing, like when doing the Ranger questline you just bolt out of the Space Hospital without bothering to tell the Ranger on duty that, hey, security is compromised, a patient killed a doctor and stole a ship).

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
No, it was a dude before the rich mom got it and ended up getting her unloved son killed because she forgot to tell him about the turrets when she passed on the Mantis lair in her will.
I must've missed this. When you find the Mantis' computer terminal I remember there being a note that the Mantis is always a woman. I don't believe she forgot to tell him about the turrets, but it's a test that every Mantis has to go through. This makes sense if you listen to the audio recordings on the way, where she tells her son that he's almost there. Presumably she ran out of time to find a female replacement and her son died because he wasn't a powerful f*#cking woman to make the test.

Hellraiser

Arcane
She gave him the clue to pass the turrets and set up the aftermath in his name, telling how she is proud of him (but the fool failed)
I just took that part as a joke on how she was a horrible mother and should have just outright told him everything, rather than setup an elaborate plan with mutliple possible failure points. Seriously I knew the phrase was the key, but I tried to input SIC SEMPER first without realizing I could count the rows to eliminate the first two words. No wonder the poor guy ended up as swiss cheese.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So just out of curiosity (maybe off topic): how would you reward exploration in a game/RPG/open world/whatever? What constitutes a good reward?
Exploration should be its own reward, by providing new sights, encounters, different atmospheres. Tying exploration to item or achievement rewards is saying that your system sucks and you have to put a shiny carrot in front of the player to make him play the game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So just out of curiosity (maybe off topic): how would you reward exploration in a game/RPG/open world/whatever? What constitutes a good reward?
Exploration should be its own reward, by providing new sights, encounters, different atmospheres. Tying exploration to item or achievement rewards is saying that your system sucks and you have to put a shiny carrot in front of the player to make him play the game.

Exploration in this game died when they decided to put exact same anomalies in different planets, even in different star constellations. Truly a remarkable thing, making your game having less exploration than the fucking Diablo 4.

Edit: Same mistake Andromeda did years ago, funny to see that noone learned any lessons from that.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Doesn't this lead to one of the reasons why FO3 was criticized for and that is the theme park design? Every area "unique", but isolated and not affecting the general world?

Ben Zyklon

Educated
This game is so fucking boring, so boring that when I get a new lead on a new quest I just don't bother or don't even explore all the dialogue.

The game is dull and the lore is just boring, if this were Mass Effect would be amazing but it isn't is just Bethesda lame as fuck writing at its finest with nothing that made Bethesda games ejoyable.
Man, your life must be terrible if it's better to play this boring game than do literally anything else with yourself.

And you must be an idiot if you believe all I do is play videogames and specifically this game.

But if you must know, I have been playing Baldurs Gate 3 with my GF now that we had some free time and went back to this game after that and I think this game is boring as fuck.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game is so fucking boring, so boring that when I get a new lead on a new quest I just don't bother or don't even explore all the dialogue.

The game is dull and the lore is just boring, if this were Mass Effect would be amazing but it isn't is just Bethesda lame as fuck writing at its finest with nothing that made Bethesda games ejoyable.
Man, your life must be terrible if it's better to play this boring game than do literally anything else with yourself.

And you must be an idiot if you believe all I do is play videogames and specifically this game.

But if you must know, I have been playing Baldurs Gate 3 with my GF now that we had some free time and went back to this game after that and I think this game is boring as fuck.
So what you're saying is... you keep choosing to go back to this boring game... when you could do anything else... and you're trying to use this as your slam dunk moment against my post?

OK. Lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom