Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was the Wyrmlord studios they contracted to do menial tasks, see the big 4chan image for the crate's credits: Siddharth Rakshit.
Ah, well, I've had plenty of experience with Indians in the coding world. The bloated polygon count suddenly makes sense now! Indian coders are paid per line of code, so it only makes sense that Indian artists use a similar metric that guarantees shit quality work; polygon count!

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It was the Wyrmlord studios they contracted to do menial tasks, see the big 4chan image for the crate's credits: Siddharth Rakshit.
Ah, well, I've had plenty of experience with Indians in the coding world. The bloated polygon count suddenly makes sense now! Indian coders are paid per line of code, so it only makes sense that Indian artists use a similar metric that guarantees shit quality work; polygon count!
now we know where the $300M budget went, polygons!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm talking about when did it become a thing in mainstream western games.

I'm going to say The Binding of Isaac.
Probably not the first, but the years where we saw an influx of "roguelites" where you had some form of progress carrying over between runs definitely contributed.

EDIT: Actually this is a dumb take.
I forgot about the PS2 platformers, namely Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter.
R&C offered a new game+ it called "Challenge mode" where you could buy far more powerful versions of your weapons, but also made all the enemies far stronger to compensate.
J&D also offered a new game+ it called 'Hero Mode'. It upped the difficulty some, but I don't recall it doing much else, other than you starting with all the upgrades you got last time around.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

World's biggest mod site bans pronoun-removing Starfield mod: 'We stand for diversity and inclusion'

Nexus Mods confirmed that it had deleted the mod, saying, "Hosting this mod was not for us and it is certainly within our rights not to host content on our platform," in a statement to 404 Media. "It's not a 'political statement' or an 'alignment to one side or the other in the culture war.' We stand for diversity and inclusion in our community and the removal of diversity, while appealing to many, does not promote a positive modding community."

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
- What the fuck is your problem, bigot. Pronouns are literally no big deal, who cares if they're there.
- No you can't remove pronouns, get fucking banned, why would you want to remove them, you're genociding trans people.

The absolute fucking state.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
- What the fuck is your problem, bigot. Pronouns are literally no big deal, who cares if they're there.
- No you can't remove pronouns, get fucking banned, why would you want to remove them, you're genociding trans people.

Seriously. It's no secret that my general leaning is to say, yeah, it's nbd to have pronouns as an option in character creation, or even to have your chicks with dicks options. I don't want them, but if someone does, what the hell? Doesn't really take any significant level of investment or resources. But by the same token, if someone wants to mod that stuff out, just like all the other types of mods out there, I can think it's dumb and not download it, but if someone wants to for their single player game, what the hell do I care?

The fact that they not only want it in there, but need you to have it in your game, whatever your preferences, is insane and simply lends credence to the most die hard conspiracy theorist shit takes for burning the whole system down.

Like what could possibly be their rationale? "If you don't have pronouns in your game, you're violating my human rights!" It'd be like putting mandatory sex mods into the Lego movie game or something so your kids were exposed to it. What gives anyone the fucking right to dictate that?

Zeriel

Arcane

World's biggest mod site bans pronoun-removing Starfield mod: 'We stand for diversity and inclusion'

Nexus Mods confirmed that it had deleted the mod, saying, "Hosting this mod was not for us and it is certainly within our rights not to host content on our platform," in a statement to 404 Media. "It's not a 'political statement' or an 'alignment to one side or the other in the culture war.' We stand for diversity and inclusion in our community and the removal of diversity, while appealing to many, does not promote a positive modding community."

Holy shit, they're so delusional they think that explicitly aligning with one political party that does not represent half the country "is not political". This is what a bubble looks like. I know it's nothing new and this has been going on for years, but it's bizarre to see again and again in public. How does a person become so retarded?

Zeriel

Arcane

Seriously. It's no secret that my general leaning is to say, yeah, it's nbd to have pronouns as an option in character creation, or even to have your chicks with dicks options. I don't want them, but if someone does, what the hell? Doesn't really take any significant level of investment or resources. But by the same token, if someone wants to mod that stuff out, just like all the other types of mods out there, I can think it's dumb and not download it, but if someone wants to for their single player game, what the hell do I care?

The fact that they not only want it in there, but need you to have it in your game, whatever your preferences, is insane and simply lends credence to the most die hard conspiracy theorist shit takes for burning the whole system down.

Like what could possibly be their rationale? "If you don't have pronouns in your game, you're violating my human rights!" It'd be like putting mandatory sex mods into the Lego movie game or something so your kids were exposed to it. What gives anyone the fucking right to dictate that?

You're so close. Hint: it's not a conspiracy theory.

Elttharion

Learned
This will become hard coded and impossible to remove in their next game. Btw is anyone else having trouble browsing based mods? I keep getting weird errors.

Zeriel

Arcane
This will become hard coded and impossible to remove in their next game. Btw is anyone else having trouble browsing based mods? I keep getting weird errors.

You can always code inject. Just depends on how determined someone is... and actually finding the game worth modding in the first place.

You can't, by default, mod Skyrim's UI with the creation engine, but people did it anyway with mods eventually.

I think the bigger risk heading down this path is eventually people won't want to mod your games.

madrigal

Augur

Doesn't having more mod options increase diversity?

Zeriel

Arcane

I actually recommend reading the article for both a sad commentary on where we are as a society & an example of living satire. The article ends with a paean to censorship... and then the comment section is completely obliterated, reduced to "0 comments" despite having a graveyard of deleted comments. They really are proud of being the boot from 1984. These people will be so smug--right up until the moment they are loaded into the guillotine.

That's the WRONG type of Diversity™!

Beastro

Arcane
What is an RPG? :M
Untiwewd24stled.jpg
That fleshlight looks complicated.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Seriously. It's no secret that my general leaning is to say, yeah, it's nbd to have pronouns as an option in character creation, or even to have your chicks with dicks options. I don't want them, but if someone does, what the hell?

Two reasons:

1) They further normalize degeneracy.
2) They're only there to show you that the degenerates have won and you can't do a fucking thing about it.

There's literally no point to having self-selected pronouns in a single-player game. When would any NPC ever use a 3rd person pronoun to refer to you, the player character? Do these people think that NPCs discuss the PC when he's not around? Wat?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Seriously. It's no secret that my general leaning is to say, yeah, it's nbd to have pronouns as an option in character creation, or even to have your chicks with dicks options. I don't want them, but if someone does, what the hell?

Two reasons:

1) They further normalize degeneracy.
2) They're only there to show you that the degenerates have won and you can't do a fucking thing about it.

There's literally no point to having self-selected pronouns in a single-player game. When would any NPC ever use a 3rd person pronoun to refer to you, the player character? Do these people think that NPCs discuss the PC when he's not around? Wat?
Nah, the tinfoil's cutting off the blood supply to your brain. It's a minimal effort token that changes nothing but stops the diversity warriors from screeching and fucking up their sales. It's basically just smart business in current era.

The thing I find more interesting is the mental gymnastics required to say that banning modders who remove it is a step that protects someone somehow and allows for diversity. I mean like, if someone did a total conversion of Starfield and made it some sort of religious thing about converting the stars to Christendom and removed all violent options from the game, so you could spread love and brotherhood through the stars, I wouldn't be interested in that mod. But I'd think it'd be a good thing to allow for people who were into it could have it.

Just like when degenerates want to put in weird sex mods or make everyone be chicks with dicks, or whatever... I'm not into it, but why not? It's the entire spirit of modding in the first fucking place.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Pretty sure this is completely unfixable. Modders would have to edit every godamn object in the game.
The truly unfixable things are the story, the engine and the basic design. This is the problem with any Bethesda game after Morrowind, which had a pretty cool story. Engine etc. still sucked though.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nah, the tinfoil's cutting off the blood supply to your brain. It's a minimal effort token that changes nothing but stops the diversity warriors from screeching and fucking up their sales. It's basically just smart business in current era.
You mean like how Kingdom Come had no sales after it was dragged for having white people in medieval Europe? Business has nothing to do with it.

Hellraiser

Arcane

This (the pronouns really visible only on the character creation screen and never again, pointless), the mentioned original sarah coe concept art where she wasn't mystery meat (can't find it nor did I see it myself, so I'll just trust it's true) and the really awkward "I'm a clone, kind of, but female" thing*, make me think that on this project for the first bethesda had to deal with a political commissar from microsoft overseeing the project, and they did low-effort concessions to make the new corporate overlords fuck off.

*While Bethesda's writing can be atrocious as far as logic goes, the emphasis the writing took to put the awkward use of "clone" forefront in your face in this context almost all the time, rather than use better terms like designer baby, genetic engineering, or even variation of ubermensch program, reeks of it being forced to make it kind of seem like a token tranny despite different original intentions of the writer. Indeed the genetic engineering part is buried after line upon line of dialogue with that character. I think the intention of the writer in general with this was to show that the UC is closer to totalitarian systems (literally manufacture the next elite/ruling caste) or something like the Alliance from Firefly than a trek utopia, as those kind of (often crappy) attempts at nuance regarding the UC pop-up here and there in the game.

Last edited:

Ben Zyklon

Educated
This game is so fucking boring, so boring that when I get a new lead on a new quest I just don't bother or don't even explore all the dialogue.

The game is dull and the lore is just boring, if this were Mass Effect would be amazing but it isn't is just Bethesda lame as fuck writing at its finest with nothing that made Bethesda games ejoyable.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This game is so fucking boring, so boring that when I get a new lead on a new quest I just don't bother or don't even explore all the dialogue.

The game is dull and the lore is just boring, if this were Mass Effect would be amazing but it isn't is just Bethesda lame as fuck writing at its finest with nothing that made Bethesda games ejoyable.
Man, your life must be terrible if it's better to play this boring game than do literally anything else with yourself.

ArchAngel

Arcane

2025:
-what do you mean you want to remove minor attracted person option from the games, we remove you bigot

ArchAngel

Arcane

I actually recommend reading the article for both a sad commentary on where we are as a society & an example of living satire. The article ends with a paean to censorship... and then the comment section is completely obliterated, reduced to "0 comments" despite having a graveyard of deleted comments. They really are proud of being the boot from 1984. These people will be so smug--right up until the moment they are loaded into the guillotine.
That will be after we are all killed so unfortunately we will not be around to laugh at them and say "Told you so".

ArchAngel

Arcane
On topic: I tried the mission to infiltrate Crimson Fleet. Lets ignore that I am known face by now in the galaxy and that I killed a bunch of their ships and captains by now, if bethesda cared they could say you got a face lift and a new identity for the duration of this mission. But then I arrive at their HQ flying my brand new Ranger spaceship and NOBODY fucking cares.. how hard is it to implement that you cannot use ONE fucking ship in the game doing this missions, even if it is a mission for UC.
We can even kind of ignore that UC still wants you as their Vanguard AFTER you became full fledged Ranger but CF just letting you waltz in with Ranger spaceship and pretend like nothing is happening it laziest quest design ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom