Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Let me know when this is in the game.

latest.jpg

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find the Starfield ship videos on YouTube to be hilarious.
Well... the more hilarious part is how everything is starting to sink in.

1. ship customization is shallow
2. NPCs being flagged as essential are turning this experience from an RPG into a glorified CYOA or, at best, a walking sim

Can't carve your own little place in the game. Can't shape your own story. So what's the point of playing the game? What's the point in calling it an RPG?

This is just a leftist propaganda outlet. And, if only the women looked nice. But, not only it plays like shit, the women are ugly, too.

Robotigan

Learned
No one should even have to say any of this. It's obvious. People are just in a Pavlovian cycle of hype, and have been since Morrowind. But no matter how many people say it, there are those that will defend the game.
I just like how Bethesda design games. I like the stuff they've built into their engine. I like how it's first-person, full of physics items, weirdly obsessive about state persistence, and generally lets you go wherever you can clip into. It's gotta very old school ImmSim vibe to it that I feel is being lost in modern games that try too hard to dazzle audiences by going all in on cinematic presentation. People complain that you can see the seams of the engine, but what I like about it is that you can look at a scene and immediately grasp how you can interact with it. It's got a strong sense of grammar. Too many games it's like I'm trying to pick the game out of a fancy render.

I'm a bit gutted by the reduced Radiant AI, but the new wildlife behaviors are very cool and sort of make up for it. I like their tastefully grounded but still epic art direction. I think emergent systems are really cool so I like that they try to facilitate that sort of gameplay. Even if Starfield doesn't have diverse enough radiant content to support it, I like that they tried to make a procedural game because there's so much potential for systemic, player-driven content. I like that they take big swings on risky game mechanics.

Now I will say that their character writing is pretty 'blah' and they should stop trying so hard with it. It's clearly not their strong suit. I think they should just embrace boilerplate and tropey characters and focus on players having a good time not a profound one, at least not with the explicit storylines. Their mechanics are strong enough to carry the game so lean into that instead of trying to chase the drama zeitgeist.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Now I will say that their character writing is pretty 'blah' and they should stop trying so hard with it. It's clearly not their strong suit.
I swear, Sarah is the most needy, baggage laden character since the gay elf healer in Dragon Age 2. I would genuinely hate to have her as a coworker, to say nothing about a girlfriend. At least you can friendzone her and, unlike the gay elf healer, you don’t need to listen to her bitching at your girlfriend about how unfair it is that you chose her instead of him.

Robotigan

Learned
Now I will say that their character writing is pretty 'blah' and they should stop trying so hard with it. It's clearly not their strong suit.
I swear, Sarah is the most needy, baggage laden character since the gay elf healer in Dragon Age 2. I would genuinely hate to have her as a coworker, to say nothing about a girlfriend. At least you can friendzone her and, unlike the gay elf healer, you don’t need to listen to her bitching at your girlfriend about how unfair it is that you chose her instead of him.
Okay, after playing some more, I take it back. They can write characters, but it's inconsistent depending on the VA and certain scenarios where they become Bioware companions come across odd. I think writing very grounded normal characters doesn't blend well with an RPG party. Requires more of a sitcom cast.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This is depressing; all that effort just to kill one companion. Is there a fast way to kill the rest of them?
Hardly any effort for those who are forewarned. Even running through that preceding quest again didn't take too long, and it could have been avoided if I had taken a minute to confirm my suspicions.

For those looking for a decent quest, I highly recommend Entangled, which occurs on Freya II (initiated via distress signal), though its availability might be dependent on progress in the main quest. Even if the substance of the quest isn't really different from the usual, it shows how much the style and atmosphere can be improved when the quest designers receive their inspiration from actual Science Fiction, rather than writing "what you know", which for many of them appears to be office politics and fetch quests. :M

Ben Zyklon

Educated
I'm trying to at least finish a faction quest line to finish up my playthrough but jesus christ the quests are so boring. I have done maybe less than 10 quests, not counting the main quest. Who wrote this? It was so bad and boring at one point that it was actually good. When Sarah dies they hold a funeral and I swear to god that was the most authentic boring ass funeral I have seen in a video game, I ran out of that shit and said fuck all of you.

the looter shooter combat is the best part of the game, but that's because I enjoy autistic grinding. Starfield is taking up 116GB on my SSD and I have games under 5GB that give me the same gameplay loop. I really want to finish up at least one faction questline before I call it a day but it's so boring, it's ridiculous.

That's what I been saying, the game is dull and just boring but you kept defending the game, I mean if you truly liked the game it's fine but it seems that you really are starting to notice what the majority noticed like at not even an hour into the game.

I just fail to see what is this supposed to be, it fails as a sandbox and it fails as an RPG because Bethesda writing and presentation sucks.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am 30+ hours in and I am still not seeing it, and I'm really, really trying hard to find out what some find that is so great about this game. I cannot believe the sheer amount of dialogue, especially dialogue involving corporate drama. What were they thinking? Why would any game designer think that gamers want to stand in front of corporate bureaucrats and talk about this nonsense for hours?

I can't count the times I've had to travel through an elevator. I noted at UC HQ that there are like 7 office floors. WTF? Why the hell would I want or need to visit 7 floors of a corporate office building? And that isn't the only building, there are several corporate buildings like this. The whole commercial area of New Atlantis is full of business offices, complete with employee AI sitting at desks and pushing papers around. Now I know what they spent their budget on...it certainly wasn't on exploring alien planets, it was on coffee machines and cubicles and staplers. Make it stop.

10-questions-to-consider-when-choosing-new-office-space-2.jpg
Yea there is a lot of time and effort spent of some of these hard to explain things. Like they paid their employees by amount of content they made with no oversight over wtf are they doing. It also explains why it lags in those cities.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'm trying to at least finish a faction quest line to finish up my playthrough but jesus christ the quests are so boring. I have done maybe less than 10 quests, not counting the main quest. Who wrote this? It was so bad and boring at one point that it was actually good. When Sarah dies they hold a funeral and I swear to god that was the most authentic boring ass funeral I have seen in a video game, I ran out of that shit and said fuck all of you.

the looter shooter combat is the best part of the game, but that's because I enjoy autistic grinding. Starfield is taking up 116GB on my SSD and I have games under 5GB that give me the same gameplay loop. I really want to finish up at least one faction questline before I call it a day but it's so boring, it's ridiculous.

That's what I been saying, the game is dull and just boring but you kept defending the game, I mean if you truly liked the game it's fine but it seems that you really are starting to notice what the majority noticed like at not even an hour into the game.

I just fail to see what is this supposed to be, it fails as a sandbox and it fails as an RPG because Bethesda writing and presentation sucks.
Yeah the quests are boring but the combat is fun if you like this type of gameplay. It’s supposed to be a looter shooter like Torchlight, Destiny, The Devision, Fallout 76 etc. imo

Ben Zyklon

Educated

Yeah the quests are boring but the combat is fun if you like this type of gameplay. It’s supposed to be a looter shooter like torchlight, destiny, the devision etc. and Fallout 76 imo
No it wasn't supposed to be a looter shooter, maybe it is that but they marketed as an exploration game as a sandbox game and we didn't really got that.

Fallout 4 already was kind of a looter shooter but it had sandbox elements, the world felt connected and it has radiant AI.

I don't think what we got really deserves all the sacrifices of what made Bethesda games popular.

Also the combat has been supper basic to me and the enemy AI is retarded, I'm on the hardest difficulty and my character has 0 combat skills and I haven't had much problems with the enemies and like I said the combat feels super basic.

Vic

Savant

Vic

Savant

Yeah the quests are boring but the combat is fun if you like this type of gameplay. It’s supposed to be a looter shooter like torchlight, destiny, the devision etc. and Fallout 76 imo
No it wasn't supposed to be a looter shooter, maybe it is that but they marketed as an exploration game as a sandbox game and we didn't really got that.

Fallout 4 already was kind of a looter shooter but it had sandbox elements, the world felt connected and it has radiant AI.

I don't think what we got really deserves all the sacrifices of what made Bethesda games popular.
yeah I understand, I just like the gameplay of Starfield so I can’t call it a bad game. It’s really good still can’t stop playing after 100 hours….

Vic

Savant
Also the combat has been supper basic to me and the enemy AI is retarded, I'm on the hardest difficulty and my character has 0 combat skills and I haven't had much problems with the enemies and like I said the combat feels super basic.
yeah, I have a mod that tries to improve enemy AI, also I am level 50 and fighting level 70+ enemies on Very Hard, so there is some challenge if you go to higher level planets. Combat gets a bit more fun if you get Starborn powers and some Skill points…. the cool weapons like minigun are also locked behind higher levels

0wca

Learned
I find the Starfield ship videos on YouTube to be hilarious.
Well... the more hilarious part is how everything is starting to sink in.

1. ship customization is shallow
2. NPCs being flagged as essential are turning this experience from an RPG into a glorified CYOA or, at best, a walking sim

Can't carve your own little place in the game. Can't shape your own story. So what's the point of playing the game? What's the point in calling it an RPG?

This is just a leftist propaganda outlet. And, if only the women looked nice. But, not only it plays like shit, the women are ugly, too.
I'm telling you, man, this game and BG3 were overhyped out the ass.

Now reality is sinking in, and it's not carrying a refund. :keepmyjewgold:

Vic

Savant
If people want to try out playing Starfield as a looter shooter here is what you can do:

Find a planet that is at or above your level (depends on your gear, I can easily kill enemies 50 levels above me on Very Hard with my current gear) and has life on it. Planets which are barren don't have much stuff on them. I have also noticed that coastal cells may have more aliens on them. Land your ship anywhere on the planet, get out and look around with your scanner if there are any POIs you want to visit (hit E on your scanner to get more details about what it is, locations with an exclamation mark have a quest usually from what I've seen, but I usually go for Structures to hunt Elites and avoid Natural and Caves), if there are, go there and look for new POIs that pop up on the way. If there aren't, open the planet map and click on a new location, you will be in a new cell within one loading screen and don't have to watch the boring ship animation. that's the most efficient way I've found to find relevant POIs and not waste time running around the wilderness. Oh and only do that in solar systems that are at your level, because you can kill aliens on the way for xp and the Elites drop good loot for you, don't waste time exploring lower level planets. Doing the highest level planets you can efficiently kill Elites in is probably best. The dungeons are all copy-pasted so after a while you can learn the layout and where the Boss and loot chest is. Most dungeons contain one main boss enemy and one big loot chest.
This is how I spent 90% of my playtime and I really think quests are boring and suck, but I'm trying to finish the UC Vanguard one now....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom