Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For the one or two bethestards in this thread.

There is ANY thing in Starfield which I can do and acn't do in Mount & Blade : Warband + Star Wars conquest?

Choose pronouns?

jackofshadows

Magister
So after playing it every other evening or so some more I think I'm finally done with this trash and I came to the same conclusion as many other ppl itt long time ago: it's utter fucking shit in every aspect except for the ship builder. That feature is really cool actually, if somewhat underwhelming still: some balancing reasons are silly and artificial - like why the hell reactor c limits the max speed? Makes no sense, as well as limit to 3 types of guns per ship (I imagine it tied to their stupid cross-platform cotrol scheme so it was convenient for them this way).

The biggest problem of course its fundament: the worldbuilding. For starters: what do we do have here as game factions? Just imagine yourself for a second as Bethpizda writer and as you creating them game factions for your supposed "average murican" TA. And so you clench your butthole and spout: I got it! We'll have uhh space republicans, redneck/cowboy esque who'll live in the shit dirt and space democrats, urban style all over, some sort of melting pot San Fran but in the future. So cool. Also we'll have space muslims obviously, always hostile, worshipping the false god and some space pirats I guess. Voila! And that's it. That's fucking it! I'm not exaggerating or oversimplifying here too much, trust me. It's all unbeleivably, hopelessly uninspired. I remember playing Fallout 3 and there was a unexploded nuke in the center of a city (ikr) and I was like I wonder what do they have in store for this: hope something more interesting than to either disable it or blow up somehow. Imagine my "shock", yeah. So nothing has changed, the same clumsy, uncreative and blunt approach to this since then.

Worse, the more you learn about the gameworld, the less sense it makes. Some basic examples: after the recent war, the two warring factions signed the terms of truce: no more than 3 systems per major faction. Like... why? What kind of limitation is that? They don't have a special resource like spice here to bargain for and everyone is able to gravjump anywhere. And there aren't nearly enough habitated systems to bargain for either in terms of acceding to. And even if that would be the case, 1 system could be equal 100 others in terms of war assets, resources or whatever. If this instantly falls apart under such primitive, common sense analysis then I wonder if people who wrote it have common sense or basic logic themselves, obviously not.

Another example: on of the 3 major cities, Neon, who unlike the other two, isn't own by a major faction, doesn't make a whole lot of sense either by itself. It's essentially an oil rig first but why anyone should care about oil in 23xx? No idea but it also surrounded by hostile *always storm* weather and even though inhabitants have learn how to use it to their advantage, turning storm into electric power, again, as you learn further it actually more expensive energy than pretty much anywhere else! No faction pressure seems interesting but I failed to learn about any actual benefits of it and it's no anarchy at all either local corpos took over and so the city has its own security forces and despite some mentions of life of crime around I haven't seen any either way. So... why would anyone live in Neon when you can settle literally anywhere - be that faction system or some uncharted world? No fucking idea aside the fact they clearly wanted to rip off a piece of Night City badly.

And that is just one aspect: I could pick apart every other one I think if I wasn't lazy.

By the way, to add insult to injury regarding my previous post: the crimson fleet quest line also has the most annoying npc in the game: some girlboss nigger dyke (not making this up honestly) who is bossing you around half of the time. And also patiently stays near your dock exit on the pirate space station couple of times to end/give a quest because the devs failed to implement any sort of distant communications in the game.

racofer

Thread Incliner
1695291590264884.png

potatojohn

Arcane
The biggest problem of course its fundament: the worldbuilding. For starters: what do we do have here as game factions? Just imagine yourself for a second as Bethpizda writer and as you creating them game factions for your supposed "average murican" TA. And so you clench your butthole and spout: I got it! We'll have uhh space republicans, redneck/cowboy esque who'll live in the shit dirt and space democrats, urban style all over, some sort of melting pot San Fran but in the future. So cool. Also we'll have space muslims obviously, always hostile, worshipping the false god and some space pirats I guess. Voila! And that's it. That's fucking it! I'm not exaggerating or oversimplifying here too much, trust me. It's all unbeleivably, hopelessly uninspired. I remember playing Fallout 3 and there was a unexploded nuke in the center of a city (ikr) and I was like I wonder what do they have in store for this: hope something more interesting than to either disable it or blow up somehow. Imagine my "shock", yeah. So nothing has changed, the same clumsy, uncreative and blunt approach to this since then.
You missed the space retards, on the rpgcodex space station.

Those are dumbest of them all, admitting to basically finishing the entire game and then saying it's "shit" so other retards will reward them with space brofists.

Mortmal

Arcane
Sam Coe, "Father" of Cora Coe.
Sam-Coe-in-Starfield.jpg

Lillian Hart, absentee mother of Cora Coe
lillianhartstarfield.webp

Cora Coe
starfield-cora.jpg
First concept art for cora coe was some cute ginger white girl , but apparently its unthinkable in this day and age, that was viewed as not diverse enough obviously, and well sam as a cuck blend especially well in their setting after all.

Caim

Arcane
Sam-Coe-in-Starfield.jpg

Cora Coe
starfield-cora.jpg
First concept art for cora coe was some cute ginger white girl , but apparently its unthinkable in this day and age, that was viewed as not diverse enough obviously, and well sam as a cuck blend especially well in their setting after all.
Isn't that the only child model in the game? So unless Starfield is being haunted by Tyrone the Cuck King it's just Bethesda being lazy.

jackofshadows

Magister

Those are dumbest of them all, admitting to basically finishing the entire game and then saying it's "shit" so other retards will reward them with space brofists.
So you belong to a slightly different cohort of retards then who call others retards on that station and fishing for brofists that way, apparantly. Just by having an account here and therefore showing what kind of hobby do you have automatically takes away any potential high ground, my dear nigger.

I had no illusions regarding this game beforehand, just like nobody hasn't any entering say burger king. I personally eat junk food from time to time, so what? But at least I thought this could qualify as Fallout 4 in space but more fun, as it turns out unfortunately, Starfield is an even worse game than that.

Mortmal

Arcane
Sam-Coe-in-Starfield.jpg

Cora Coe
starfield-cora.jpg
Isn't that the only child model in the game? So unless Starfield is being haunted by Tyrone the Cuck King it's just Bethesda being lazy.
Fair point, when it comes to bethesda we can always give them the benifits of the doubt. While the game seems to be directed by some fat cows who hate white men and worship black cock, enforcing their ideology whenever they can , it could also very well be lazyness and cutting costs. Really hard to know...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sam-Coe-in-Starfield.jpg

Cora Coe
starfield-cora.jpg
Maybe she is adopted?! "Mother" does not even have same surname like "Father" and Cora. I keep Sam and Cora on my ship, Cora voice actress is not bad, does not sound like irritating brat like in most movies.
Also it is funny how she asks you about new books all the time but lazy devs didn't implement a way to give her books I got in my inventory..

Caim

Arcane
Sam-Coe-in-Starfield.jpg

Cora Coe
starfield-cora.jpg
Maybe she is adopted?! "Mother" does not even have same surname like "Father" and Cora. I keep Sam and Cora on my ship, Cora voice actress is not bad, does not sound like irritating brat like in most movies.
Also it is funny how she asks you about new books all the time but lazy devs didn't implement a way to give her books I got in my inventory..
That, or the girl's from one of dad's earlier relationships.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Skin tone is not relegated to one tone on the models in any of their games. Inclduing their most recent. In Fallout 4 the child models all had the same face depending on gender. So the males had one face and the females had another. I hate when people say shit like you do, making excuses for the inexcusable. They are super fixated on race in Starfield, from their marketing to the in-game models. To say otherwise is simply deflecting.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar

That, or the girl's from one of dad's earlier relationships.

You again Caim? It seems you have an agenda to spread misinformation. Why is that?

Anyways, Sam's questline has you speak with the absentee mother, Lillian Hart. Because Starfield prefers anything that is not husband/wife, they made sure that Sam and Lillian have a child without ever having been married. The mother is a spiteful whore who dislikes many things, including Sam and her daughter.

potatojohn

Arcane

So you belong to a slightly different cohort of retards then who call others retards on that station and fishing for brofists that way, apparantly. Just by having an account here and therefore showing what kind of hobby do you have automatically takes away any potential high ground, my dear nigger.

I had no illusions regarding this game beforehand, just like nobody hasn't any entering say burger king. I personally eat junk food from time to time, so what? But at least I thought this could qualify as Fallout 4 in space but more fun, as it turns out unfortunately, Starfield is an even worse game than that.
Starfield-2023-09-21-15-38-55-706.png

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
So after playing it every other evening or so some more I think I'm finally done with this trash and I came to the same conclusion as many other ppl itt long time ago: it's utter fucking shit in every aspect except for the ship builder. That feature is really cool actually, if somewhat underwhelming still: some balancing reasons are silly and artificial - like why the hell reactor c limits the max speed? Makes no sense, as well as limit to 3 types of guns per ship (I imagine it tied to their stupid cross-platform cotrol scheme so it was convenient for them this way).

Worse, the more you learn about the gameworld, the less sense it makes. Some basic examples: after the recent war, the two warring factions signed the terms of truce: no more than 3 systems per major faction. Like... why? What kind of limitation is that? They don't have a special resource like spice here to bargain for and everyone is able to gravjump anywhere. And there aren't nearly enough habitated systems to bargain for either in terms of acceding to. And even if that would be the case, 1 system could be equal 100 others in terms of war assets, resources or whatever. If this instantly falls apart under such primitive, common sense analysis then I wonder if people who wrote it have common sense or basic logic themselves, obviously not.

Another example: on of the 3 major cities, Neon, who unlike the other two, isn't own by a major faction, doesn't make a whole lot of sense either by itself. It's essentially an oil rig first but why anyone should care about oil in 23xx? No idea but it also surrounded by hostile *always storm* weather and even though inhabitants have learn how to use it to their advantage, turning storm into electric power, again, as you learn further it actually more expensive energy than pretty much anywhere else! No faction pressure seems interesting but I failed to learn about any actual benefits of it and it's no anarchy at all either local corpos took over and so the city has its own security forces and despite some mentions of life of crime around I haven't seen any either way. So... why would anyone live in Neon when you can settle literally anywhere - be that faction system or some uncharted world? No fucking idea aside the fact they clearly wanted to rip off a piece of Night City badly.

And that is just one aspect: I could pick apart every other one I think if I wasn't lazy.

By the way, to add insult to injury regarding my previous post: the crimson fleet quest line also has the most annoying npc in the game: some girlboss nigger dyke (not making this up honestly) who is bossing you around half of the time. And also patiently stays near your dock exit on the pirate space station couple of times to end/give a quest because the devs failed to implement any sort of distant communications in the game.
you are trying too hard. There is lots to criticize in my opinion but these are nitpicks at best, I’m not the lore expert here but if Hellraiser still cares about this turd I’m sure he might have something to say about this.

To my limited knowledge: Limiting to 3 systems makes sense to make it monitorable and not give any faction a majority control over space and resources

Neon, correct me if I’m wrong, are not digging for oil but for the fish which they use to produce the drug Aurora. It’s a pleasure city where people from both factions are welcome, and thus kind of neutral ground.

Like I said tons of things to criticize so I’m not sure why you felt the need to nitpick on these particular points.

jackofshadows

Magister
you are trying too hard. There is lots to criticize in my opinion but these are nitpicks at best, I’m not the lore expert here but if Hellraiser still cares about this turd I’m sure he might have something to say about this.

To my limited knowledge: Limiting to 3 systems makes sense to make it monitorable and not give any faction a majority control over space and resources

Neon, correct me if I’m wrong, are not digging for oil but for the fish which they use to produce the drug Aurora. It’s a pleasure city where people from both factions are welcome, and thus kind of neutral ground.

Like I said tons of things to criticize so I’m not sure why you felt the need to nitpick on these particular points.
What lore? There is no lore, basically. The museum and various bits and scraps of dialogue or slates is all you ever get. But unlike as in some other games the shit simply doesn't add up. It's obvious that the whole setting isn't fleshed out enough by a lot. This's not nitpick, this's core stuff. Not to mention the whole creators theme is just waved away even though it's supposed to be again, a core mystery.

There's a lot to critisize indeed but I don't see a point in repeating what others have said many times by now.

Lol what "neutral ground" if those two factions aren't at war anymore? The aurora is a fair point though. So it's a drug city, yeah. Not too much of related stuff going on though although there was a quest or two about it.

Vic

Savant
whoops, yeah haven’t done any quests there so I knew I was risking talking out of my ass here

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Relax while you explore the galaxy to tracks from Starfield's official soundtrack, remixed by Lofi Records artists. Animations by Lofi Studio.

0:00 - Casiio x Sling Dilly - Badlanders
1:58 - Chau Sara - Deep Time
3:43 - Kanisan - New Atlantis
5:48 - Sleepermane - Navigator Corps
7:59 - brillion. - In Silent Orbit
10:32 - cxlt. x amies - Go Steady Go Safe
13:00 - Nadav Cohen - Aurora
15:43 - Dontcry x Nokiaa - Field Agent
17:47 - No Spirit - The Eye
20:38 - cxlt. x amies - A Home Among The Stars
23:56 - Goson - The Rock
27:10 - Kayou - Starfield Main Theme Classic Remix

Vic

Savant

NaturaLUTs - Color Graded Filter Removal and Black Level Restoration LUTs​

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1119

Absolute must-have mod, really I don't know what they were thinking shipping the game in this state. Game has become unplayable without mods for me at this point. And yeah, I said I'm going to not play but I'm still hooked on this turd so whatever suck it haters.

I'm using the "Enhanced" preset. Looks much closer to FO4 now, where before it was all a disgusting brown soup in Akila:

Starfield-9-22-2023-1-36-52-AM.png

Starfield-9-22-2023-1-43-35-AM.png

Without the mod:

Starfield-9-22-2023-1-46-03-AM.png

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
The opposite. They wayyyy overcorrected from the overpowered Skyrim stealth archers. If you are in line of sight of anyone you can be detected instantly AND everyone for miles around starts screaming and shooting in your general direction. Even in calm situations where they have no reason to believe there are any enemies present, in a big area with lots of friendly people milling around, if they see your toe stick around a corner they instantly identify you as a hostile threat and - to say they "start firing" implies that there is a transition - there's no transition. If they see you they are shooting at you already. Response time is 0.00 seconds.
They clearly tuned it around having detect reduction upgrades both on your suit and helm. The moment you install that shit, you'll feel the difference. I didn't test but I imagine it also should work if you remove them if you don't have the upgrade. If that's the case then it does make a lick of sense, actually. Anyway, with all of that and maxed out skill you can possibly do stealth kills one after another almost like in Skyrim. It also heavily depends on the lightning as it should. There's one mission in the corpo quest line when you can turn the lights off (even if all it does reduce them somewhat since this game doesn't have night vision tech -_- only a fucking flashlight) and again, you'll feel the difference. The chameleon upgrade or skill perk however doesn't seem to work or barely work.

turkishronin

Arcane
One thing I blame for this game is goypass. There's not much pressure to reach sales numbers as before so devs care even less now. This game just a pawn in Microsoft's grand scheme taking over gaming as a whole by increasing the market share.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom