Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
bro... just F5 before you kill the boss then F9 if you don't like the drop.
why not just use console commands then, nah, the loot grind is fun if you're into ARPGs and stuff but severely lacking in interesting items that change up how you play your build.

I'm torn about this game. Ferret Baudoin was a friend of mine and Starfield was the last game he worked on before his death last year. So... do I play this in tribute to my friend or ignore it so it doesn't taint my memory of him?

ArchAngel

Arcane
so I can run them quickly in hopes for some good loot
bro... just F5 before you kill the boss then F9 if you don't like the drop.

Also, unrelated to the above back-and-forth, and the reason I came here to post. I just saw this:

View attachment 41649

The quality is inversely proportional, imagine everyone's shock.

If there are a handful of people at Bethesda who actually give a shit about their game, there's no way they can influence that tsunami of sewage coming in from fiverr, or wherever Todd gets his army of writers from.
In the above comparison Starfield is a superior game. The amount of skill checks alone beats both. Also few quests can be done in non lethal ways.
It felt like much worse shittier Deus Ex in some missions which is still better than shit that is Skyrim or F4.

Shaki

Arbiter
Decided to give the game another chance since I have nothing else to play atm - I hit 19h playtime, and quitting again. The nail in the coffin was encountering the same exact fucking dungeon (down to same terminals with same notes and same item placement) 3 times. First 2 times I encountered it after checking literally the closest POI (~400m) to a major hand-made location, because some lying cuck said these POIs are often unique and not the radiant shit. 3rd time I encountered it in a fucking QUEST, where again, some lying cuck said the content was supposed to be unique and handmade. I'm done. This is asian cashgrab MMO tier lazy shit, it's impossible to get any enjoyment from this game unless you're lobotomized. I forced myself to finish a lot of games I've hated, just to be able to shit on them more efficiently, but I can't do this one, playing this is pure torture. It's literally the most bland, boring, absolutely souless piece of shit "RPG" I've seen in like the last 2 decades.
the repeating dungeons make it possible to memorize where the boss and loot chest is so you can quickly clear them. And yes most quest dungeons are hand crafted, maybe if you told us which quest that was?
I don't think making a dungeon in a vacuum, then populating it with random enemies and loot, and randomly inserting it in quests without even adjusting notes found during exploring it, and caring for context and shit, counts as hand crafted. When I say hand crafted, I expect it to make sense in context of its geographic location (you'd think a fucking pirate outpost POI 400m from a MAJOR settlement, would have at least a fucking note or smth, providing an explanation/context why the fuck it's there and apparently no one cares, for example), to have some relation to the quest items/NPCs that are placed inside it, etc.

The specific quest I'm talking about, was the one in the first system in the game, at Gagarin station, given by the Reliant Medical chick. You have to track a courier who was supposed to deliver a package, then go hunt some nigger who stole it. Said nigger is in a dungeon that I encountered 2 times before, they were too fucking lazy to even change shit like notes on the terminals or item placement n shit, to tie in any way into the quest, they just literally took one of the random dungeons then put the NPC in there, great fucking design, laziest shit I've seen since DA2 reused locations.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
400m from a MAJOR settlement
With $400m spent on this shit, Bethesda has definitely focus-grouped those 400 meters and determined that it's the optimum distance the ADD-riddled audience is willing to cover on foot. With that in mind, pretend it's 400 kilometers, and call it a day.

Edit: If sidequests need shootin' done, they will invariably send you to a "radiant" dungeon. Anything with a blue icon is a sidequest and is absolutely not worth doing, unless you want to be entertained by the ineptitude on display by the devs. What our games journalist friend meant was the main quest and faction quests typically have tailor-made single-use environments.

Unrelated:

1696079496181.png

Who the fuck talks like that???

I saw a retarded NYU professor unironically say "strawperson" on twitter before but these are supposed to be writers for fuck's sake.

Caim

Arcane
Just call the player an in-between instead. Gender neutral and it doesn't sound like English is your second language.

Vic

Savant
lmao we can't say middleman because that's not gender neutral so middle-person it is

the absolute state of Ameritards

Rhobar121

Scholar
Gamers discovered rain in games is on top of the player, not the whole level
749389549_276.jpg
Normally, it should not follow the player so much as move with the camera, especially if the game has a photo mode. I think you can guess what happens when it doesn't do that.

0wca

Learned
the repeating dungeons make it possible to memorize where the boss and loot chest is so you can quickly clear them. And yes most quest dungeons are hand crafted, maybe if you told us which quest that was?
"infinite copies of the same 6 dungeons? mind-numbing repetition is a good thing, here's why"

i don't like to get personal with people and lean heavily into insults, but you must be a game journalist.
I'm not saying that's a good thing, just saying that if you hunt for loot, you'll be seeing the same dungeons over and over. At this point I have memorized all designs and loot locations so I can run them quickly in hopes for some good loot. Not that I'm currently playing, mind you. I'm having more fun with a 15 year old MMO than Starfield right now.
Didn't deny if he's a game journalist.

Confirmed game journalist.

:updatedmytxt:

Vic

Savant

"I think the genre itself has blended into everything. I can't look at a game that doesn't have XP and leveling up. Pick any game you want. That's sort of bled in."

The easiest example to point to for the the RPG-ification of games is probably Assassin's Creed, which has long since transitioned from focused stealth-action adventures to sprawling, open-world, numbers-filled sandboxes like Assassin's Creed Valhalla – and is now coming full circle, returning to its more action-led roots with the promising Assassin's Creed Mirage. And Ubisoft's behemoth is in good company. Outside quintessential monoliths like Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, countless modern games regularly incorporate features and systems once associated with purebred RPGs, with role-playing conventions often boiled down to character progression.

So cyberpunk is a quintessential monolith of the RPG genre according to this cuck

potatojohn

Arcane

"I think the genre itself has blended into everything. I can't look at a game that doesn't have XP and leveling up. Pick any game you want. That's sort of bled in."

The easiest example to point to for the the RPG-ification of games is probably Assassin's Creed, which has long since transitioned from focused stealth-action adventures to sprawling, open-world, numbers-filled sandboxes like Assassin's Creed Valhalla – and is now coming full circle, returning to its more action-led roots with the promising Assassin's Creed Mirage. And Ubisoft's behemoth is in good company. Outside quintessential monoliths like Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, countless modern games regularly incorporate features and systems once associated with purebred RPGs, with role-playing conventions often boiled down to character progression.

So cyberpunk is a quintessential monolith of the RPG genre according to this cuck

That's not what he said. Learn 2 read.

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK I ran into Crucible quest, probably best single quest so far. Still not nearly quality of many quests from good RPGs but better than usual Bethesda slop.

Vic

Savant
"What makes an official RPG?" he asks. "I think if you're an old-school RPG fan you'll have your own list of rules for that. I love the genre because it can be anything. It can have action in it, it can have this, you can have other game types break out. You can have a racing game break out into an RPG, I don't know. It depends what pockets you're looking at.

Todd Howard answers the eternal question of what is an RPG, "It can be anything"

Rhobar121

Scholar
Can we just imagine what shitfest their next game is going to be?
In five years, when a new game comes out, there will be twice as many loading times because the engine will die if it renders graphics from 2020

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom