Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Game uses teleport to move stuff around, I seen it yesterday by chance. I was using See Star Stuff ability on my ship (that lets me see through walls) and I noticed how suddenly one of my companions teleported from same deck I was on through walls to deck above me LOL
They do same shit with ships but hide it with that short animation of travelling and short fade to black.
Bethesda actually started doing this in Fallout 4.
It helps keep the companions close, but I find it incredibly jarring, as it violates all manner of rules around object permanence.

You'll go into a dungeon, sneak around, and your companion gets "lost"... then you'll round a corner and your companion just comes out of a room there is no way for them to get into nor they have any business being inside of.
Another I've found immensely jarring was just running around on the overworld.
I'll turn around to see how my companion is keeping up, and I'll see them running/sprint in the distance,
Then I'll turn back to face the front and keep running, only to have a panic attack: the companion teleported right in front of me, and I shot them in the face because I mistook them for a raider.

I have no idea what Bethesda was thinking... it's the worst band-aid you could put on companion AI and pathfinding being utter garbage.
I much prefer the way Skyrim mods alleviate the pathfinding issue: Give them a temporary buff of super speed.
It looks silly, but at least you can see them move from A to B, and not just magically warp to places that make no logical sense.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Game uses teleport to move stuff around, I seen it yesterday by chance. I was using See Star Stuff ability on my ship (that lets me see through walls) and I noticed how suddenly one of my companions teleported from same deck I was on through walls to deck above me LOL
They do same shit with ships but hide it with that short animation of travelling and short fade to black.
Bethesda actually started doing this in Fallout 4.
It helps keep the companions close, but I find it incredibly jarring, as it violates all manner of rules around object permanence.

You'll go into a dungeon, sneak around, and your companion gets "lost"... then you'll round a corner and your companion just comes out of a room there is no way for them to get into nor they have any business being inside of.
Another I've found immensely jarring was just running around on the overworld.
I'll turn around to see how my companion is keeping up, and I'll see them running/sprint in the distance,
Then I'll turn back to face the front and keep running, only to have a panic attack: the companion teleported right in front of me, and I shot them in the face because I mistook them for a raider.

I have no idea what Bethesda was thinking... it's the worst band-aid you could put on companion AI and pathfinding being utter garbage.
I much prefer the way Skyrim mods alleviate the pathfinding issue: Give them a temporary buff of super speed.
It looks silly, but at least you can see them move from A to B, and not just magically warp to places that make no logical sense.
This is what happens when your AI is practically non-existent.
The companion's AI in Betard games is at Gothic 3 level

HammyTheFat

Scholar
I didn't build a single Outpost
There is literally zero reason to make an outpost unless you're doing the farming exploit to level to 100. You can buy materials for crafting.
there is no level cap, so you can level up way past 100
This game is bad enough that the only way I see people getting past 80 is if they're trying to 100% it on steam, which requires getting to 100 unless you're big brained enough to get a mod for it.

And doing that is painful unless you cheese it with outpost husbandry.
I’m not aware of husbandry, usually what I’ve seen people do is setup an outpost on a planet where 1 hour is many UT hours. They sit on a chair for 1 hour and all storage is filled up, then they spam craft components, rinse repeat.
Behold the horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUtNYp_3qeY

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
cheese it with outpost husbandry

sit on a chair
Both of those things are stupid.

What you can do however is pick a high-end manufactured component and make a nice chart for it, like so:

1696387568092.png

Find orbital bodies with the low-level components and set up extractors with a manufacturing chain so you can craft the final product a few thousand at a time. This nets you 800 xp per batch (as opposed to the idiots following shit-tier youtube tutorials getting 100 xp on Andraphon making tier 1 garbage) as well as stuff you can vendor for insane amounts of money.

I'm not saying this makes Starfield great, but it certainly lets you avoid your spacekaren companions, the spacenigger NPCs, the dumbass writing, the contrived quests; pretty much everything that makes the game so unappealing.

You do all this not to gain levels to play the other parts of the game, but as an end in itself. A shittier version of Factorio, but with exploration and combat.

Depending on your level of autism, you can take this pretty far:

While making your outposts you'll have to get into shipbuilding, which is another aspect of the game that's its own "fun bubble" - and exceptionally well done - but unnecessary for questing/story.

I realize there are games that do this space factory stuff much better, and they haven't cost $400m to make, nor did they take 7 years for a major gaming studio, nor do they retail for $70, nor will your steam friends think you're retarded for playing them. All I'm saying is: if you want to have some fun in Starfield, this is the only way.

Rhobar121

Scholar
cheese it with outpost husbandry

sit on a chair
Both of those things are stupid.

What you can do however is pick a high-end manufactured component and make a nice chart for it, like so:

View attachment 41742

Find orbital bodies with the low-level components and set up extractors with a manufacturing chain so you can craft the final product a few thousand at a time. This nets you 800 xp per batch (as opposed to the idiots following shit-tier youtube tutorials getting 100 xp on Andraphon making tier 1 garbage) as well as stuff you can vendor for insane amounts of money.

I'm not saying this makes Starfield great, but it certainly lets you avoid your spacekaren companions, the spacenigger NPCs, the dumbass writing, the contrived quests; pretty much everything that makes the game so unappealing.

You do all this not to gain levels to play the other parts of the game, but as an end in itself. A shittier version of Factorio, but with exploration and combat.

Depending on your level of autism, you can take this pretty far:

While making your outposts you'll have to get into shipbuilding, which is another aspect of the game that's its own "fun bubble" - and exceptionally well done - but unnecessary for questing/story.

I realize there are games that do this space factory stuff much better, and they haven't cost $400m to make, nor did they take 7 years for a major gaming studio, nor do they retail for $70, nor will your steam friends think you're retarded for playing them. All I'm saying is: if you want to have some fun in Starfield, this is the only way.

So to have fun in this game you have to give up about 95% of the content?

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
We are all different, brother. Some people might enjoy doing quests written by lobotomy survivors; there are plenty of those folks around, just look on reddit. Some might like the parts where space HR scolds you for not doing things "correctly". Some might go for the dumb combat where you get a random assortment of enemies from level 1 to 94, seemingly with no rhyme or reason, and can one-shot every one of them with a good weapon, even on "very hard'.

I'm just telling you that there are parts I found half-assed but enjoyable.

I really don't get the ship building part though. It's so cool, and fun, and beautiful; like playing with space legos. You can make these awesome ships that barely serve any purpose. A shame, really.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I really don't get the ship building part though. It's so cool, and fun, and beautiful; like playing with space legos. You can make these awesome ships that barely serve any purpose. A shame, really.
accept ship missions at mission boards in level appropriate systems

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ah yes. With game on "very hard", instawarp to level 75 system, target's invariably within 4000m, isn't that just great. Press LMB + RMB + MOUSE4, watch it explode immediately, instawarp back to mission board. Boy, am I glad I built my spaceship so I can now keep doing this over and over.

The only mechanical use of spaceships in this game is to provide a couple hundred thousand carrying capacity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We are all different, brother. Some people might enjoy doing quests written by lobotomy survivors; there are plenty of those folks around, just look on reddit. Some might like the parts where space HR scolds you for not doing things "correctly". Some might go for the dumb combat where you get a random assortment of enemies from level 1 to 94, seemingly with no rhyme or reason, and can one-shot every one of them with a good weapon, even on "very hard'.

I'm just telling you that there are parts I found half-assed but enjoyable.

Nah, you cannot one shot them. I got a good weapon and even with 2x from stealth for minor boss character you take like 1/10 of their health with that shot.

Maybe there is some combinations of combat perks that allows that but then that is a major investment of RL time and effort (unless you cheese by doing Outpost shit that is super boring) and cannot be done by anyone. I went for non combat perks so I can try crafting, shipbuilding, talking, lockpicking and the rest

abija

Prophet
Concealement is 4x alone. Then all the perks on the combat tree for rifle, ballistics, sniper, armor penetration.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Concealement is 4x alone. Then all the perks on the combat tree for rifle, ballistics, sniper, armor penetration.
Sure but then you put 50 points into that and not crafting or ship design and other stuff. That is not easy, that is build choice and that kind of character should be able to do that. It already feels like combat skills are pointless.

Vic

Savant
Ah yes. With game on "very hard", instawarp to level 75 system, target's invariably within 4000m, isn't that just great. Press LMB + RMB + MOUSE4, watch it explode immediately, instawarp back to mission board. Boy, am I glad I built my spaceship so I can now keep doing this over and over.

The only mechanical use of spaceships in this game is to provide a couple hundred thousand carrying capacity.
you sound like a little bitch tbh

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am thinking if it is worth trying to make a Millennium Falcon or Defiant as my main ship or move on to playing Everspace 2 :D

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...ng-before-bethesda-nerfed-the-hell-out-of-it/

Todd Howard says exploring planets in Starfield was much more punishing before Bethesda "nerfed the hell out of it"​

It's because your UI is horrible and expains jack shit, Todd. PC or console, it doesn't matter. If you prioritize treating UI like a god damn painting, rather than a human interface, you're just tying a lead ball to your gameplay's legs.
what could be more punishing than being forced to slowly walk across the equivalent of daggerfall wilderness maps

Vyvian

Educated
https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...ng-before-bethesda-nerfed-the-hell-out-of-it/

Todd Howard says exploring planets in Starfield was much more punishing before Bethesda "nerfed the hell out of it"​

It's because your UI is horrible and expains jack shit, Todd. PC or console, it doesn't matter. If you prioritize treating UI like a god damn painting, rather than a human interface, you're just tying a lead ball to your gameplay's legs.
Is Todd just on a coping tour lately?
First he said their "real" AI for enemies was actually really amazing and awesome now he's saying this.

Old Hans

Arcane
First he said their "real" AI for enemies was actually really amazing and awesome now he's saying this.
It sounded like he was saying the target demographic for starfield are too dumb and lazy to change space suits for different planets

ArchAngel

Arcane
It sounded like he was saying the target demographic for starfield are too dumb and lazy to change space suits for different planets
There is no system to do that. Even ship parts like Armory Bay have stands for jetpack and helmet but none for body slots. So even if I wanted to have multiple suits there to change into depending on planet all I can do is keep it all in magical cargo hold or carry it all on my limited carry space. And it is irritating and mostly pointless. That whole system is stupid and pointless. For example I come to cold planet, I put on my best termal protection stuff and I still get frozen after few minutes out while all other humans in suits including guards that stand there forever all OK. Sorry, but fuck that.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
[Spends entire thread gushing about and posting ugly screenshots of shartfield for weeks.. literally screaming / spasming and blocking anyone who disagrees]

Then :

TL;DR game (Starfield) is shit, go play Cyberpunk, update 2.0 is out now

==

[Waddles over to Cyberpunk thread - starts gushing about how great it is, getting into arguments]

is this another thread where everybody is bitching about the game?
maybe I'm sitting this one out and just enjoy playing the game instead of arguing with you retards

Then:

Uninstalled the game (Cyberpunk 2077) after 3 hours, it's way edgier (and jankier) than I remembered, also had 5 crashes during that time. Not gonna bother with the DLC, enjoy kids.

--

If this isn't evidence of a mentally retarded individual.. I don't know what is.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Yes, I did the exploit on Akila to get free items from the vendors.

No, I do not regret doing it.

No, I never played the game again after that.

Vic

Savant
[Spends entire thread gushing about and posting ugly screenshots of shartfield for weeks.. literally screaming / spasming and blocking anyone who disagrees]

Then :

==

[Waddles over to Cyberpunk thread - starts gushing about how great it is, getting into arguments]

maybe I'm sitting this one out and just enjoy playing the game instead of arguing with you retards

Then:

Uninstalled the game (Cyberpunk 2077) after 3 hours, it's way edgier (and jankier) than I remembered, also had 5 crashes during that time. Not gonna bother with the DLC, enjoy kids.

--

If this isn't evidence of a mentally retarded individual.. I don't know what is.
I enjoyed Starfield for a couple weeks. The screaming/spasming is a misinterpretation on your part. By the end of that it became apparent that many systems aren’t going anywhere ie are unfinished so I lost interest and moved on to Cyberpunk which I was hyped for. Turned out shittier than I remembered and was constantly crashing. Fixed the crashes and reinstalled and now playing it again, trying to reach the new DLC content. I still have Starfield installed but haven't felt like playing for a while now. Game needs either proper mods or more updates DLCs to flesh out the barebones systems that are currently there. A mod that makes outposts better, a starship hangar like somebody else here said, etc.

potatojohn

Arcane

Then :

==

Then:

--

I enjoyed Starfield for a couple weeks. The screaming/spasming is a misinterpretation on your part. By the end of that it became apparent that many systems aren’t going anywhere ie are unfinished so I lost interest and moved on to Cyberpunk which I was hyped for. Turned out shittier than I remembered and was constantly crashing. Fixed the crashes and reinstalled and now playing it again, trying to reach the new DLC content. I still have Starfield installed but haven't felt like playing for a while now. Game needs either proper mods or more updates DLCs to flesh out the barebones systems that are currently there. A mod that makes outposts better, a starship hangar like somebody else here said, etc.

UelBuvc.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom