Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Decided to give the game another chance since I have nothing else to play atm - I hit 19h playtime, and quitting again. The nail in the coffin was encountering the same exact fucking dungeon (down to same terminals with same notes and same item placement) 3 times. First 2 times I encountered it after checking literally the closest POI (~400m) to a major hand-made location, because some lying cuck said these POIs are often unique and not the radiant shit. 3rd time I encountered it in a fucking QUEST, where again, some lying cuck said the content was supposed to be unique and handmade. I'm done. This is asian cashgrab MMO tier lazy shit, it's impossible to get any enjoyment from this game unless you're lobotomized. I forced myself to finish a lot of games I've hated, just to be able to shit on them more efficiently, but I can't do this one, playing this is pure torture. It's literally the most bland, boring, absolutely souless piece of shit "RPG" I've seen in like the last 2 decades.
the repeating dungeons make it possible to memorize where the boss and loot chest is so you can quickly clear them. And yes most quest dungeons are hand crafted, maybe if you told us which quest that was?

Not having procedurally generated dungeons is the biggest mistake the developers made in this game, imo. Even partly procedurally generated would be better. They even always have the same enemy type and same dressing. The only thing they randomize is the enemy level (based on the level of the system) and loot, as well as randomizing a few specific loot drops (chests and some equipment placed around as dressing), but everything else is always the same for that dungeon.

It heavily undercuts the point of procedurally generated planets to explore if all the interesting things on them are the same repeated ones.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
looks flat to me with only a few hills. There’s zero vertical exploration. No giant trees you can climb or mountains/canyons to explore like in the concept art. You can’t even go under water. Seems pretty flat to me.

Also notice how your screenshots look like they could be locations on Earth.

Holy shit, mark today on your calendars boyos! Vic has said something critical of Cottonfield and actually stepped out of shill retard mode for a moment. There is still some hope for you yet. (but not much)

potatojohn

Arcane
Doesnt really look alien at all, even the trees look like normal Earth trees

The trees could look more alien, but the planets and animals are fine.

IRL other planets don't truly look "alien". Look at pictures of our solar system. The moon looks like the nevada desert, and mars looks like australia, and so do the others.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
reddit.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
vDcf0BZ.jpeg

Huh so, the cells aren't isolated instances but are in fact part of a contiguous planet. You can see New Atlantis from nearby cells.

They put invisible walls so... you don't get lost?
the new "see that city? you can walk to it"

but unironically

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
isn't that the case with every new game release?

pathetic lowlife youtube schmucks
I saw a youtube video that said like "Tamriel located in Starfield!?"

It was a 10 minute video where he thought a plant looked sorta like nirnroot and was basically like "NIRNROOT CONFIRMED" He "found it" on a main questline that is almost unmissable.

These faggots are literally playing the game for 2 hours then trying to get the jump on conspiracy theories and deep dives (most of it just their own head larp / SEO click baits).. typically we didn't see grifting like this until at least a few years of a beth game being out. It's so cringe. Disgusting leeches all fighting over the dwindling ad-sense scraps.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
These faggots are literally playing the game for 2 hours then trying to get the jump on conspiracy theories and deep dives (most of it just their own head larp / SEO click baits).
1696648820219.png

What other content is possible for Starfield?

"Here's how to do this epic questline: Mash E when appropriate. Sometimes fast travel to where the dot is. Also guys, this is very important, hold down W the whole time. People who get stuck, sometimes they don't hold W. Or maybe they do but they don't face towards the dot. Follow the dot guys, I can't stress this enough."

"Hey beautiful people, I have a great character build for you. For armor, we're going to go with anything. Then for gun, we go with something that uses 7.77 ammo because you guys, it's literally everywhere. Then for skills, we take rifle and ballistics. You will have so much ammo it's not even funny, and get this, we took the skills so you do more damage."

"This is how you romance Sarah you guys: take her on quests with you and don't shoot innocent people. Then guys, very important, when she says she wants to talk to you, do talk to her. And when the [Romance] option comes up, be sure to select that, not [Friendship], a lot of people make that mistake, but I got your back."

In part, sure, blame the "creators", but the real problem is the retarded audience who bought a game that is impossible to make interesting content for. Unless the objective is to shit on it, but even that gets old quickly because it's so easy to do.

Silverfish

Arbiter
isn't that the case with every new game release?

pathetic lowlife youtube schmucks

As much as I hate to say it, the reddit guy has a point. I can't speak for every Beth youtuber, but most of the usual suspects are floundering in a Nile of shit at the moment.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Baldur's Gate 3 "Check this cool shit out!!!" video: If you go to this optional area and position your party thusly and move this big laser beam cannon and position the vampire companion there, he will have unique dialogue afterwards!

Starfield "Check this cool shit out!!!" video: If you do the main quest, there's a sniper rifle in this chest which does 10% more damage!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Baldur's Gate 3 "Check this cool shit out!!!" video: If you go to this optional area and position your party thusly and move this big laser beam cannon and position the vampire companion there, he will have unique dialogue afterwards!

Starfield "Check this cool shit out!!!" video: If you do the main quest, there's a sniper rifle in this chest which does 10% more damage!

BG3 "New Strategy for final Boss!" Video: Guy picks Gortash up and quickly teleports outside the castle near the entrance of BG and kicks him off a cliff killing him in one shot

Starfield "YOU WONT BELIEVE YOUR EYES!!!!!!!" Video: *Padded for 10 minutes* SO GUYS I FOUND THIS CLIFF - doesn't it look sorta weird? It's such a weird cliff what did Todd mean by this??

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
BG3 "The most immersive and emotional game ever" Video: If you pick these dialogue options and do these quests Gale and Astarion will simultaneously give you a rimjob as Shadowheart bent over with explosive diarrhea becomes a fountain of human shit in the background best game ever I am literally shaking rn

Silverfish

Arbiter
BG3 "The most immersive and emotional game ever" Video: If you pick these dialogue options and do these quests Gale and Astarion will simultaneously give you a rimjob as Shadowheart bent over with explosive diarrhea becomes a fountain of human shit in the background best game ever I am literally shaking rn

Prehistorik

Scholar
Lol on twitch Starfield has 2.9k viewers, while for BG3 it's 20.5k.
On steam the ratio is ~1 to 2.
I guess everyone is busy building an outpost, or dildo shaped ship.

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It will get worse; Diablo IV lost >99.9% of its viewers in 4 months. It peaked just shy of a million at launch and there are ~700 people watching it right now.

You could say that peddlers of uninspired dogshit will eventually get their comeuppance, but both Starfield and Diablo sold well at launch, which is where most of the money is made.

Rhobar121

Scholar
It will get worse; Diablo IV lost >99.9% of its viewers in 4 months. It peaked just shy of a million at launch and there are ~700 people watching it right now.

You could say that peddlers of uninspired dogshit will eventually get their comeuppance, but both Starfield and Diablo sold well at launch, which is where most of the money is made.
Diablo was created as a service game that was supposed to generate money for many years, and considering that they are already putting it on Steam, it is not good for the game.

As for Starfield, they didn't make that much money because of the gamepass. Activity on Steam was pitifully low, which means that most people played on gamepass.
If it was bad on Steam, it's unlikely that Xbox would be better, especially since the console version has no advantages over the gamepass (mod).
For Bethesda, the situation is so bad that if they don't replace the engine quickly enough, each of their games will fall further and further behind new games, which has never ended well for anyone in the long run.

potatojohn

Arcane
For Bethesda, the situation is so bad that if they don't replace the engine quickly enough, each of their games will fall further and further behind new games, which has never ended well for anyone in the long run.
Retarded opinion

You're confusing "motion capture" with "engine"

Cyberjunk mo-cap wouldn't work in a Bethesda game, there are too many characters and they walk around

Next time you play Cyberjunk, take note how most dialogues happen over the phone, and the few that are in person are highly scripted and restrictive.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Retarded opinion

You're confusing "motion capture" with "engine"

Cyberjunk mo-cap wouldn't work in a Bethesda game, there are too many characters and they walk around

Next time you play Cyberjunk, take note how most dialogues happen over the phone, and the few that are in person are highly scripted and restrictive.
Where did I mention the animations at least once (they're shitty but it doesn't matter)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom