Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Quillon

Arcane
quitting after about 10 hours, this is hopeless boring af gaym. any good rant vids dumping on this pile of trash? should at least get some enyoyment out of this

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
quitting after about 10 hours, this is hopeless boring af gaym. any good rant vids dumping on this pile of trash? should at least get some enyoyment out of this

He's articulate and has the receipts. Apparently he hated the game after 5 hours and made an earlier vid about it, then got critiziced for not playing it for X hours when "it gets better". X varies from retard to retard ofc. So he played it for 70 more and you can imagine how that went.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished the main quest and several sidequests. I'll be joining the legion of other posters in this thread as considering it as the most boring Bethesda game yet.

Oblivion had severe issues, but I enjoyed it. Same with Skyrim, I played it for hundreds of hours when it originally was released. It too had severe flaws, but there was a lot of good too. Not with this game however. I'm clocking in around 72hrs and I've had enough.
  • The combat is extremly basic, and nothing more. No cool low/high grav effects or anything.
  • The main quest is aggressively boring and bad, even moreso than Skyrim's (which is an achievement on itself).
  • Everything related to exploring worlds or space is extremely bland.
  • Gearing, crafting and character building is bland as hell.
  • The entire setting is boring as hell.
  • The UI's functionality is just disastrous.
  • etc ....
I can just keep going on, but it's already been said numerous times in this thread. It just boils down to this game giving a new meaning to being aggressively bland.

Anyway, I'm heading back to Daggerfall Unity.

Last edited:

ind33d

Learned
https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...ng-before-bethesda-nerfed-the-hell-out-of-it/

Todd Howard says exploring planets in Starfield was much more punishing before Bethesda "nerfed the hell out of it"​

It's because your UI is horrible and expains jack shit, Todd. PC or console, it doesn't matter. If you prioritize treating UI like a god damn painting, rather than a human interface, you're just tying a lead ball to your gameplay's legs.
what could be more punishing than being forced to slowly walk across the equivalent of daggerfall wilderness maps
Game ruined by focus groups, news at 11. For all we know, Beth was playing the cool survival version internally and the employees didn't even know what was shipped

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
By the end of that it became apparent that many systems aren’t going anywhere ie are unfinished.

Game needs either proper mods or more updates DLCs to flesh out the barebones systems that are currently there. A mod that makes [literally everything in the game] better, a starship hangar like somebody else here said, etc.

Oh look.. it's the opinion everyone had in this thread 3 weeks ago when you were too busy jizzing yourself over the game.
At least you got there eventually.. just needed 120 hours of play time to see it............

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finished the main quest and several sidequests. I'll be joining the legion of other posters in this thread as considering it as the most boring Bethesda game yet.

Oblivion had severe issues, but I enjoyed it. Same with Skyrim, I played it for hundreds of hours when it originally was released. It too had severe flaws, but there was a lot of good too. Not with this game however. I'm clocking in around 72hrs and I've had enough.
  • The combat is extremly basic, and nothing more. No cool low/high grav effects or anything.
  • The main quest is aggressively boring and bad, even moreso than Skyrim's (which is an achievement on itself).
  • Everything related to exploring worlds or space is extremely bland.
  • Gearing, crafting and character building is bland as hell.
  • The entire setting is boring as hell.
  • The UI's functionality is just disastrous.
  • etc ....
I can just keep going on, but it's already been said numerous times in this thread. It just boils down to this game giving a new meaning to being aggressively bland.

Anyway, I'm heading back to Daggerfall Unity.
When you say side quests do you mean big faction quest chains or just some random side quests?!
Main quest is bland and stupid but so was in all other Bethesda games.
Some of the big faction quests are cool and some unique side quests are also pretty cool. Nothing exceptional but at least one level above main quest.

As for combat, you can do some cool shit with K&M control scheme. Like on low Gravity planets you can keep yourself in the air for a long time and you combine that with slow time starborn power and you can jump over enemies and blow up groups before they get a chance to do much.
Or you can go invisible and do similar stuff.

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane

vDcf0BZ.jpeg

Huh so, the cells aren't isolated instances but are in fact part of a contiguous planet. You can see New Atlantis from nearby cells.

They put invisible walls so... you don't get lost?

Hellraiser

Arcane

vDcf0BZ.jpeg

Huh so, the cells aren't isolated instances but are in fact part of a contiguous planet. You can see New Atlantis from nearby cells.

Probably they weren't able to make it work without crashing the game, especially on the xbawks. This is "we need a loading screen when you enter a building or larger town" bethesda we are talking about, if they can't make that seamless I doubt they can code memory management and loading that could handle a 400 kilometer trek across a procedural landscape without memory leaks.

Gargaune

Arcane

I think calling it a contiguous planet might be jumping ahead, those adjacent tiles are still procedurally-generated, aren't they? It's possible that major non-procedural landmarks, like New Atlantis or oceans and mountains or whatever, are part of some fixed distant LOD parameters that the algorithms generate on.

It's interesting that some initial impression are proving to have been incorrect. We had the whole "you can only fly around planets" thing, turns out that no, the space around a star can be freely navigated... if you mod the speeds. Now we've got the "lol, can't see the city from the next tile", and poof, there it is.

This is a very confusing release from Bethesda. Both in terms of what Todd decided to do with it but also the discourse around it.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

I think calling it a contiguous planet might be jumping ahead, those adjacent tiles are still procedurally-generated, aren't they? It's possible that major non-procedural landmarks, like New Atlantis or oceans and mountains or whatever, are part of some fixed distant LOD parameters that the algorithms generate on.

It's interesting that some initial impression are proving to have been incorrect. We had the whole "you can only fly around planets" thing, turns out that no, the space around a star can be freely navigated... if you mod the speeds. Now we've got the "lol, can't see the city from the next tile", and poof, there it is.

This is a very confusing release from Bethesda. Both in terms of what Todd decided to do with it but also the discourse around it.
planets suck, the concept art looked like this:

starfield-concept-art-desert-biome-1024x526.jpg
starfield-concept-art-jungle-1024x502.jpg
starfield-concept-art-exploration-1024x561.jpg

Insead we got flat, generic looking landscapes that are just mildly different from each other, and nothing that truly feels alien.

abija

Prophet
Todd had plans then he had to get to 30 fps on xbox and satisfy focus groups. It's not that complex.

N'wah

Novice
Over the last decade its become literally an internet reputation booster to say anything negative about Bethesda, even easily proven false statements or the literal definition of hyperbolic statements.

In short, it's extremely cool to lie and hate on Bethesda and has been for a while now, nor is it likely to change. When you're at the top of the game, everyone else wants to hate on you; and it's pretty obvious that Bethesda is amongst some of the best video game developers.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Over the last decade its become literally an internet reputation booster to say anything negative about Bethesda, even easily proven false statements or the literal definition of hyperbolic statements.

In short, it's extremely cool to lie and hate on Bethesda and has been for a while now, nor is it likely to change. When you're at the top of the game, everyone else wants to hate on you; and it's pretty obvious that Bethesda is amongst some of the best video game developers.

We need a "yeah, sort of" rating. Beth games are shit, but they're entertaining shit and people do exaggerate their flaws or (my favorite) comically miss the point of certain elements.

Vic

Savant
there really is nothing like it out there. exploring that game is a memory I’ll be telling my grandchildren about and cherish until I die of a heart attack at the ripe age of 75 while fucking a 20 something model and smoking a cigar

potatojohn

Arcane

Insead we got flat, generic looking landscapes that are just mildly different from each other, and nothing that truly feels alien.

Starfield's landscapes aren't flat, and they do have a lot of variety. Of course, no game looks like its concept art paintings

5f8VOmp.jpg

jSHM6Da.jpg

PAs3w7j.jpg

hNIP8ve.jpg

Vic

Savant
looks flat to me with only a few hills. There’s zero vertical exploration. No giant trees you can climb or mountains/canyons to explore like in the concept art. You can’t even go under water. Seems pretty flat to me.

Also notice how your screenshots look like they could be locations on Earth.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Starfield's landscapes aren't flat, and they do have a lot of variety. Of course, no game looks like its concept art paintings

5f8VOmp.jpg

jSHM6Da.jpg

PAs3w7j.jpg

hNIP8ve.jpg
XD in these screenshots the terrain is almost completely flat. Just because you paste a few hills doesn't mean it suddenly becomes diverse.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The "challenges" to level up a perk are terrible and just artificially prevent you from leveling up, it was much better in other games where you leveled up the skills by using them not by doing stupid "challenges", like I said: not even an RPG.
the challenges are using the skill dumbass

Writing is horrible, once again we are the dragonborn but in space is litterally insulting my intelligence, how can anybody like this? litteral low IQ story
besides the name and the fact that you are collecting powers the story has actually nothing to do with Skyrim’s. There is no big evil threatening to destroy the world for a change. I’m actually not exactly sure what the story exactly is and don’t get me wrong it’s shit but it’s not exactly your typical “save the world oh chosen one”
only good guy companions
I think Crimson Fleet questline gives you evil companions, but it doesn’t really matter because, as you said, game doesn’t support evil playstyle.
I was killing lvl 50+ enemies at lvl 11 with no issue on the hardest difficulty even adding an improved AI mod did nothing
Aliens do not provide a challenge, but if you don’t have good gear you’ll get shredded by lvl 50+ human enemies. If you do find good gear it’s possible, but level 50 aren’t the hardest in the game.
  • Obviously terrible exploration
  • Nothing to find
that’s true, most exploration happens within the few hand-crafted locations ie the cities and the locations they send you to, weird design choice
Boring as fuck setting
it’s their first unique setting in 25 years and that’s the best they could do is kind of hilarious. Agree on this and your other points

Yeah the challenges use the skills but let me tell you how stupid they are:

For stealth I needed to land 10,20 and 40 sneak attacks... which consisted on me poping to do and attack, hiding back while I watched something on my phone or in Jew tube waiting for the caution bar to become hidden again. It wasn't fun, it wasn't a challenge, it was boring and I felt completely forced to engage in that anti natural gameplay pattern because I was forbidden to just put points into stealth when I could.

For carry weight you need to sprint certain distance while you are over 75% of your weight... so there I was running like an idiot through a base then waiting till my oxygen filled up to do it again. It wasn't fun.

This stupid challenges makes the player engage in metagaming and not actually naturally develop their skills while they do something they actually enjoy and have fun doing like in previous Bethesda games where you level skills up as you use them naturally.

No man I wasn't killing shitty space cows and dinosaurs at lvl 11, I meant actual level 50 humans, they are just bullet sponges but they are dumb as fuck.

The story is not the same as Skyrim word for word... but come on! You are the fucking space dragonborn that is what I meant, it's literally insulting specially because it was already stupid in Skyrim to be this fucking shonen protagonist for zoomers that is special and basically a super hero fuck that shit.
I do not agree, they are good. Your problem was that you were metagaming. If you just play the game with your preferred game style you would still level it up, just slower. I level up all my skills during my play by just playing, I do not focus on trying to level up each ASAP. You are not required to spend points when you level up so you can wait until you did your "challenges".
Just like you I am not sure what he is talking about, as I pretty much was able to complete those challenges by just playing the game normally and using the skill. The only exception being a few of the crafting skills where I would have to craft stuff I didn't use or need just to hit the numbers, but it isn't like it took long to just mod a few weapons or add a few components to a ship.

All I can think of is that he was super concerned with being able to level up that skill a second time the very next level up, rather than just playing normally and waiting a few levels to naturally do those things.

Seems pretty self inflicted. Especially the one about having to run around while close to encumbered.. lol. That is literally just playing the game. You are always running everywhere, and you are over 75% of your weight pretty quickly with some looting. Why would you stop playing normally to waste time just sprinting around just to complete the challenge as quickly as possible, and then complain about how much you hate doing that? Because you are retarded, I guess.

Luzur

Good Sir
looks flat to me with only a few hills. There’s zero vertical exploration. No giant trees you can climb or mountains/canyons to explore like in the concept art. You can’t even go under water. Seems pretty flat to me.

Also notice how your screenshots look like they could be locations on Earth.

Doesnt really look alien at all, even the trees look like normal Earth trees

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom