Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Shaja

Educated

But we’re not just here to say goodbye to 2023. We’ve been hard at work on everything coming to Starfield in 2024. While we’re not ready to go into all the details just yet, here’s a glimpse at some of the things we’re cooking up.

First, we’re targeting updates roughly every six weeks starting in February. These updates will include everything from quality-of-life improvements to content and feature updates. Join our Steam Beta branch to be the first to try these updates as they begin rolling out.
We've been reading all your feedback and are excited to start launching these new features. We'll be adding new ways to travel and you’ll now be able to access city maps while exploring the major cities. For those of you who love ship building, we'll also be expanding on ship customization with ship decorations, new ship building options, and more.

We're also excited to be adding all new Gameplay options. With these new settings you'll be able to alter your gameplay to allow for an easier or more challenging experience that will expand beyond our normal "Difficulty" setting. These will allow you to easily customize carry capacity, cargo access distance, ship damage, vendor credits, how you suffer afflictions, new survival mechanics, and more.

Next, official mod support will be coming to Starfield with the launch of Creations. Beginning early next year, Starfield will be getting its own exporter and you’ll have access to a new Creation Kit. Modding has always been an enormous part of our games, with incredible community-made content constantly bringing fresh new experiences. With the scale and systems in Starfield, we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

And lastly, the team is hard at work on the development of Shattered Space, our first major expansion coming next year. You’ll have new story content, new locations, new gear, and much more. We can’t wait to share more with you next year.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
AKQA_ION_EOY_infographic_9x16.png

Vic

Savant
if I'm understanding this correctly, 1.6M players finished the game across 5.1M playthroughs with an average of 3.17 playthroughs out of those who finished it at least once.

Is playthrough the right word? Maybe "run" is better? Because you can skip all story on NG+ ...

And if the total is 13M players then that would be a 12.6% completion rate of the game.

Bulo

Scholar
Those metrics are meaningless. Ashta are the "most dangerous life form" because they ambush you in the main quest. The same goes for Ecliptic. Battlemeal Battlepacks are the most eaten food because they're everywhere, and most other food isn't worth eating. Fucking corpos need skinning alive

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
if I'm understanding this correctly, 1.6M players finished the game across 5.1M playthroughs with an average of 3.17 playthroughs out of those who finished it at least once.

Is playthrough the right word? Maybe "run" is better? Because you can skip all story on NG+ ...

And if the total is 13M players then that would be a 12.6% completion rate of the game.

I read this as there were 13 million players that tried this thing (most of them on Game Pass). Of those 13 million, 1,631,993 (12.55%) completed it at least once. Of those 1,631,993 million, roughly 993* players completed the game an additional 3,546,140 times (approximately 3,571 game completions per basement mongo, but 3.17 completions per person who managed to slog through to the end).

* I generously estimate that there are 992 people in the world who are also like Vic who have been no lifing this thing since release while masturbating furiously.

Vic

Savant
I read this as there were 13 million players that tried this thing (most of them on Game Pass). Of those 13 million, 1,631,993 (12.55%) completed it at least once. Of those 1,631,993 million, roughly 993* players completed the game an additional 3,546,140 times (approximately 3,571 game completions per basement mongo, but 3.17 completions per person who managed to slog through to the end).
it's kind of redundant to say the same thing I already said but at least we confirmed out calculations are correct

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
it's kind of redundant to say the same thing I already said but at least we confirmed out calculations are correct

I live to serve, your majesty.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I haven't played Outer Worlds but is everyone in agreement that it's at least better than Starfield ?

It's like Bethesda wanted payback for New Vegas being better than FO3 and copied an Obsidian but managed to shit the bed again. They're going to be even more mad at Obsidian although this time they did nothing wrong.

You'll see.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I haven't played Outer Worlds but is everyone in agreement that it's at least better than Starfield ?
Outer Worlds had more defined identity. It had handcrafted content and some choice and consequence. While it didn't do anything great it was competent in what it tried to achieve.

Also the companions were better. I mean sometimes interesting (the religious guy) sometimes irritating (the mechanic chic) but at least they caused some emotions in you. Starfield companions are just boring empty husks delivering their lines in deadpan voice.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, they're both painfully mediocre but for the different reasons. I see OW being somewhat better but that's not saying much. Both aren't worth the time to play.

Lemming42

Arcane
Personally I'd pick Starfield out of the two, TOW is obviously a far tighter game and doesn't have the procgen bullshit but it's somehow all very dull and just plays like a slightly crappy Borderlands-style FPS, while Starfield has quite a bit of player build variety and little systems to get into like ship building and weapon modding. I think Starfield's faction questlines are generally better than TOW's quests too; TOW's are more flexible and have better C&C but Starfield's are just a bit less boring.

quixotic

Learned
Starfield is so shit that it’s causing people to indirectly praise aspects of The Outer Worlds.
What the hell have you done, Todd? Emil? Sandwich lady?

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, they're both painfully mediocre but for the different reasons. I see OW being somewhat better but that's not saying much. Both aren't worth the time to play.
If you were forced to binge one over the weekend, which would you choose and why?
Probably Starfield and that's because with it you can ignore all the quests with its woke shit and all the retardation and just play it as any other Beth game meaning from dungeon to dungeon or simply delve into outpost insanity or something.

With OW you're fucking stuck with its butch females and sheit. Technically you can kill them but then there's not much game left for you.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
At least in TOW you have to go inside your ship in order to travel to another planet unlike in Shitfield where you have to open menu, hold fast travel button and teleport 10 systems away. The ship is completely meaningless. TOW doesn't have space travel and apparently Flopfield doesn't either (no, space is just a cell with gravity turned off and floating .jpegs).
Obsidian scrapes by, Bethesda has Rockstar level resources and still gets destroyed by Obsidian in areas that matter: writing, RPG elements, unique places, handcrafted content, level cap, etc. Sure, way weaker than FONV by comparison but games like that don't happen every decade, or century judging by how things are going. Also boring and woke (just like Starnigger).
So yeah, TOW is bad but still superior to Staroflmao.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This is making me miss Rusty. He used to defend Andromeda over TOW and he also liked Fallout 76. I wonder what his take on Starfield is... not enough to make an account over there though.

Outer Worlds had more defined identity. It had handcrafted content and some choice and consequence. While it didn't do anything great it was competent in what it tried to achieve.

Also the companions were better. I mean sometimes interesting (the religious guy) sometimes irritating (the mechanic chic) but at least they caused some emotions in you. Starfield companions are just boring empty husks delivering their lines in deadpan voice.

Can you disable the markers? Watched some gameplay of a dude accepting a quest leading him like fifty feet away (The Outer Worlds is not a huge OW to begin with, but hub-based). And the marker was sleepwalking him right to quest completion. Which also makes me wonder how that "Who dunnit" DLC they did works... then again, Twitcher3 is full of detective work witcher sensing itself with barely anybody objecting, so...

ADL

Prophet
Absolutely. TOW was nothing earth shattering but at least it was a roleplaying game with world reactivity and a solid foundation. Meanwhile in Starfield some of the biggest events got a line of dialog or two, never to be acknowledged again and the core mechanics are either half baked or completely fucked.

I'm still interested in Avowed and TOW2, TOW was a Private Division budget title which may change dramatically in the sequel. Couldn't be less enthusiastic about TESVI even if I tried.
Can you disable the markers? Watched some gameplay of a dude accepting a quest leading him like fifty feet away (The Outer Worlds is not a huge OW to begin with, but hub-based). And the marker was sleepwalking him right to quest completion. Which also makes me wonder how that "Who dunnit" DLC they did works... then again, Twitcher3 is full of detective work witcher sensing itself with barely anybody objecting, so...
You can't disable them without disabling the HUD entirely. I'd recommend Tainted Grail: Fall of Avalon (indie Skyrim clone) on a related note because it is entirely playable without markers.

Silverfish

Arbiter

No, Starfield has better combat (since it's just Fallout 4 with a jetpack), greater interactivity with the world, companions aren't as well defined, but aren't as annoying as a result and there aren't constant attempts at "humor" that don't land.

For the record, I'm not Vic's alt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom