Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Starfield is so shit that it’s causing people to indirectly praise aspects of The Outer Worlds.
What the hell have you done, Todd? Emil? Sandwich lady?

It's like the way the Star Wars sequel trilogy makes you see the prequel trilogy in a fonder light :)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Choosing betweeen Starfield and The Outer Worlds is like choosing between AIDS and syphilis.
Either way you are fucked, but you can choose fine details of your suffering.
While both are unpleasant, at least syphilis these days is curable with antibiotics. So the choice should be pretty obvious.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Can you disable the markers? Watched some gameplay of a dude accepting a quest leading him like fifty feet away (The Outer Worlds is not a huge OW to begin with, but hub-based).
don't really remember if you can disable them, I played TOW at release. But walking through miles of empty, randomly generated flatlands of Starfield just to reach the quest objective allowed me ample time for meditation on the benefits of small, handcrafted worlds.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wouldn't even bother to play Starfield without markers, it's clearly not designed to be used this way. Have fun walking to every interactable NPC or item in a dungeon to see if it's the right one.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
On this topic I quote myself from the TOW thread

TOW = slamming your dick in the door
Starfield = castrating yourself with a screwdriver

mhh

if playing these games is so painful, why do you do it?

I dropped TOW after maybe 5 hours? And I kept playing Starfield for 200 hours. I guess I have a fetish for screwdrivers

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Could starfield be fixed if they took all the barren planets markers and added something interesting to them? Every planet I landed on and walked to a point had either the same generic base or the pure fucking cancer of scanning a mushroom/crystal. If they took all the scanning shit away would the game be improved enough to explore or not?

Vic

Savant
Currently at -30% off (48 EUR). Worth now at this price or wait 5 years to be at 10 eur?
wait for mods next year
Wait for the complete edition released in a year or two to go on sale.
game is so unpopular right now that they either abandon it or fix it like NMS and turn it into an actually good game. so it's good advice to wait at least until mods fixed... pretty much everything.

It's #72 on global top sellers list of Steam, near Spiderman. They won't abandon it, thought they might focus on dumb-yet-profitable shit like romances and the creation club, rather than what the game needs (more points of interest, loot and radiant quests)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Currently at -30% off (48 EUR). Worth now at this price or wait 5 years to be at 10 eur?
Even at 10 EUR I wouldn't waste my time downloading it. This game will be extremely lucky if it manages Skyrim's feat of autists spending hundreds of hours trying to assemble the perfect load order that fixes everything (and still fails).

Tyrr

Liturgist
A patch is the worst thing that can happen to a Bethesda game. Because it breaks all the mods that already fixed more stuff than Bethesda will ever do.

Lemming42

Arcane
Here and elsewhere online there's a lot of talk of "content patches" but what can they actually add at this point? Substantial new content - quests, planets, dungeons - is essentially out of the question, surely? It's all just gonna be QoL shit.

I guess at a push they might make something to try and recontextualise the procgen shit as interesting - think the Twin Lamps mod for Morrowind which gives you an actual reason to go exploring the game's boring-ass dungeons, or the East Empire Expansion for Skyrim which adds roleplay reasons to go skulking around the overworld. But why put effort like that in when modders will eventually get around to it for free?

All eyes on the Shattered Space DLC now.

Vic

Savant
Substantial new content - quests, planets, dungeons - is essentially out of the question, surely? It's all just gonna be QoL shit.
can we please stop this conjecture and shitting on the game because "it's cool"?

the hate train has left, let's start looking at the facts and stop trying to collect cool points.

First, there is no reason to say this as most previous beth DLCs had story content.

Second:

And lastly, the team is hard at work on the development of Shattered Space, our first major expansion coming next year. You’ll have new story content, new locations, new gear, and much more. We can’t wait to share more with you next year.

Lemming42

Arcane
Vic, you have made two grave errors. First is misreading my post - I was saying there'll be no substantial content added through patches, and then went on to say that the Shattered Space DLC is our only hope. We are saying the same thing!

But the real horror of your post is accusing me of bashing the game to look cool. A bitter betrayal; I was your greatest ally in the trenches a couple months ago, when we stood together and insisted that Starfield was a decent game in the face of overwhelming opposition. We were Bethestards In Arms. We fought side by side, saying shit like "New Atlantis is meant to be shit!" and "it's actually cool that stealth is locked behind a perk!". We took our retarded ratings together, like badges of honour. Now you have betrayed me.

I can't believe you've done this. This is a bigger letdown than Starfield could ever be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom