Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
lol I just saw this:
https://rpghq.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=26870-vladimir-replacer-1-0-starfield
1703545458241-png.44956
Mr._Clean_logo.png

Same energy.

Elthosian

Arcane
Here and elsewhere online there's a lot of talk of "content patches" but what can they actually add at this point? Substantial new content - quests, planets, dungeons - is essentially out of the question, surely? It's all just gonna be QoL shit.

I guess at a push they might make something to try and recontextualise the procgen shit as interesting - think the Twin Lamps mod for Morrowind which gives you an actual reason to go exploring the game's boring-ass dungeons, or the East Empire Expansion for Skyrim which adds roleplay reasons to go skulking around the overworld. But why put effort like that in when modders will eventually get around to it for free?

All eyes on the Shattered Space DLC now.

They'd need an overhaul the scale of Cyberpunk 2.0 to even dream of getting a positive reception from mainstream gamers. The only good thing about Skyrim was being able to explore aimlessly and Starfield replaces that by going from POI to POI following a bunch of arrows without even bothering to give you land vehicles.

9ted6

Educated
This game felt AI generated. Props to whoever designed the interiors though, there was obviously a lot of attention to detail.

Latelistener

Arcane
2D/3D artists are probably the only ones worth their bread at Bethesda.

syiitjqkz1rb1.png

Everyone else though... imagine wasting 4-8 years of your life on something, that could be easily and irreversibly ruined by some game designer?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since Vic unignored me I'm temporarily back until he gets extreme butthurt again that I don't love the game.

But you know what I love? Starfield's Steam page and trailers:

Untitled.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
They'd need an overhaul the scale of Cyberpunk 2.0 to even dream of getting a positive reception from mainstream gamers.
It's not possible cyberbug even at launch destroys snorefield.

Best part bethtards obviously tried to copy the scene from cyberpunk and it's like a wet fart in comparision.

its like a modder tried to re-create a cyberpunk area in fallout 4

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They'd need an overhaul the scale of Cyberpunk 2.0 to even dream of getting a positive reception from mainstream gamers.
It's not possible cyberbug even at launch destroys snorefield.

Best part bethtards obviously tried to copy the scene from cyberpunk and it's like a wet fart in comparision.

This shows what an amazing milestone in gaming Starfield is. You can feel the tension like you were there in person. Wonderful game, no wonder it got 10/10 everywhere. This is the best game ever released. Now I understand why Vic loves it so much and even put on ignore those who didn't. He can't deal with such stupidity and ignorance when people have a masterpiece right in front of their eyes but close them and pretend it doesn't exist.

Nas92

Augur
Haha wow it's getting worse

Normies are starting to wake up?
They would forgive all the shitty mechanics and stories if the game matched Skyrim for exploration. That's the only reason it's getting lambasted this hard.
I think you touched on something important here. Without the exploration element, BGS games are dogshit basically. No depth to them besides that. Now it seems they're losing their touch in that regard as well.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since Vic unignored me I'm temporarily back until he gets extreme butthurt again that I don't love the game.

But you know what I love? Starfield's Steam page and trailers:

Untitled.jpg

Most of those reviews are actually spot on and what I've been saying since release day.

Vic's butthurt would probably reach the stratosphere after spending a few minutes reading them.

But hey lets go explore the space huh? Those 1000 planets. Of course it's realistic that most planets are empty and vast, I agree it's realistic. But why every planet has identical outposts in the middle of nowhere with two people sitting there and waiting for you? Same structures everywhere, same resources, same copy pasted stuff all over the place. Yes planets look different, some of them look very different but you don't feel that. +80 degrees or -185 – no difference. Trees are green with -15 outside, same gas everywhere, some random animals spawning attacking you. You explore the flat planets and after 10 hours realize there's no point.

Nas92

Augur
Poor Emil. It must be tough to have such a huge job in which you're completely incompetent no matter how hard you try and everyone knows it.
Of course he won't be fired, he himself said numerous times that BGS no longer cares about story so they're like whatever and he's one of Todd's buddies so that makes his position safer too. He himself won't quit, he basically has nowhere else to go, he's stuck at this.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Most of those reviews are actually spot on and what I've been saying since release day.

I believe he was talking about the 10/10, 9.5/10, 5/5 splash page and trailers as if the game is a raving success while on the right hand side you see the mostly negative and mixed rating. Contrast.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Vic's butthurt would probably reach the stratosphere after spending a few minutes reading them.
you forget that steam banned players who refunded the game before the official release date from reviewing the game. the score would've been just as bad from day 1 if they haven't done that.

Vic

Savant
Starfield is a game that Todd wanted to make for himself for a long time, too bad he is now plagued by a retarded audience that is tanking his score. Game is good for what it is regardless how many zoomers cry about it.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here and elsewhere online there's a lot of talk of "content patches" but what can they actually add at this point? Substantial new content - quests, planets, dungeons - is essentially out of the question, surely? It's all just gonna be QoL shit.

I guess at a push they might make something to try and recontextualise the procgen shit as interesting - think the Twin Lamps mod for Morrowind which gives you an actual reason to go exploring the game's boring-ass dungeons, or the East Empire Expansion for Skyrim which adds roleplay reasons to go skulking around the overworld. But why put effort like that in when modders will eventually get around to it for free?

All eyes on the Shattered Space DLC now.

They'd need an overhaul the scale of Cyberpunk 2.0 to even dream of getting a positive reception from mainstream gamers. The only good thing about Skyrim was being able to explore aimlessly and Starfield replaces that by going from POI to POI following a bunch of arrows without even bothering to give you land vehicles.

That isn't true. There is just as much to explore. It is just that the way they designed the exploration is different.

The way you explore is by exploring different systems in your ship. Once you get there you look for space encounters, dungeons on planets you haven't seen before, and places to survey (gas giants and asteroids are free exp and money, and planets with good resources if you are doing settlement building). Along the way there are a good variety of random encounters, including quite a few that are reactive to quests you have done.

Randomly walking around a planet's surface is not the way the game was designed to be played. It is a space game, not a walk around a planet game. The ground dungeons are more things you are supposed to find and explore while checking out other locations flagged from space or a quest or while surveying a planet you are interested in checking out.

I think one big problem is that a lot of people expected that exploration would be randomly walking around a planet due to that being how they are used to playing other Bethesda games. I think a lot of people didn't really do much of space exploration in this game, despite there being a ton of content available if you do. I didn't really start in earnest until about 30 hours in, tbh. But now that I have been I am still finding new content I haven't seen on NG+ and more than 120 hours in. New derelict ships to explore (mini-dungeons with lore), random space encounters, and even new locations/dungeons I haven't encountered before.

But there are some issues with the space exploration that make it less good than it could be, though, and that also hurts the game.

-Settlement building is pretty much completely optional in the game, and the rewards don't seem to be that significant from how I have dabbled in it (I am going to dive into it further in my NG+ but I am still looking for the perfect place to set up my main settlement). Looking for places to set up a settlement can be a major driver for space exploration, and neither the plot nor the game mechanics really push you to do it.

-There are not enough major and minor quests that you find through space exploration. There are only a small number, and even then most of those are weighted towards the systems near the core settled worlds. The majority of the quests in the game are tied to settlements.

I think the first point can be addressed by patches, but the second would take a dlc. The survival mode patch for FO4 made significant imrpovements to the base gameplay, and I think there is room here for a similar patch that would revamp gameplay in a way that makes it harder and makes exploring different star systems more necessary and enjoyable. Adding in some ship maintenance mechanics so keeping an expensive and powerful starship running requires some kind of continued resource investment that can be provided by settlements is one thing they could do.

Improving the procedural generation would also help make randomly walking around more viable. If they randomized dungeons some that would go a long way. Currently all the generic dungeons are almost 100% hand made, including enemy type, enemy placement, and interior dressing. Armor, Weapon, and chest loot is randomized and enemies can scale to be more powerful, but that is it for what can change.

There is almost no reason to go in and check out a location you have already seen before, but if there was more variety in the type of enemies, loot, and variation in the dressing (or even minor changes in the layouts like changing what is locked or inaccessible) that would help make it worth giving some locations a visit even if you have seen them before.

Improving the quality and variety of the proc-gen quests would also make it worthwhile revisiting random civilian settlements, too.

Vic

Savant
Since @Vic unignored me I'm temporarily back until he gets extreme butthurt again that I don't love the game.
you unignored me first tho
Did Starfield make your brain smooth or were you already a schizo?
are you saying you didn't ignore me and then unignored me because you wanted to know about the latest codex drama?

my bad then, I must be remembering wrong

Konjad

Patron
Since @Vic unignored me I'm temporarily back until he gets extreme butthurt again that I don't love the game.
you unignored me first tho
Did Starfield make your brain smooth or were you already a schizo?
are you saying you didn't ignore me and then unignored me because you wanted to know about the latest codex drama?

my bad then, I must be remembering wrong
You do remember wrong. I have just noticed you unignored me last time I checked my ignore list, so I unignored you as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom