Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Rhobar121

Scholar
Bethesda games have never been good (I'm throwing NV in that, fuck that copium) but they have been big enough to mod into a game you wanted to play.
New Vegas is perfectly playable vanilla, the only mods you need are stutter, bugfix and optionally but highly recommended the jsawyer mod which does some rebalance to make it harder.

from your posting it seems you are an action/arcade player who doesn't even like RPGs. You should stick to General Gaming and stay out of RPG threads.
I think this topic should also be moved there because it's hard to call Starshit a game, let alone an RPG.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Bethesda games have never been good (I'm throwing NV in that, fuck that copium) but they have been big enough to mod into a game you wanted to play.
New Vegas is perfectly playable vanilla, the only mods you need are stutter, bugfix and optionally but highly recommended the jsawyer mod which does some rebalance to make it harder.

from your posting it seems you are an action/arcade player who doesn't even like RPGs. You should stick to General Gaming and stay out of RPG threads.
I think this topic should also be moved there because it's hard to call Starshit a game, let alone an RPG.
I'm not a moderator.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
How is elder scrolls online doing for bethesda? It's never talked about or bitched about. I assume it's a functional MMO making bank with all the expansions. Do you need ES6 when you have a full MMO with the same gameplay but every area known to man in it?

ESO is doing fine. It take place in the 2nd era. Around 800 years before Morrowind. That, and the fact it is an MMO, leaves plenty of room for another single player Elder Scrolls game. The interest in making another Elder Scrolls on Bethesdas end is obviously very low. That combined with their inability to make a coherent, playable, fun product, spells disaster for Elder Scrolls 6. I hope it never get made. Todd has lost it. Emil never had it. The danger haired weirdos can only ruin shit. And the rest of the team is happy to outsource their work to street shitters.

Vic

Savant
How is elder scrolls online doing for bethesda? It's never talked about or bitched about. I assume it's a functional MMO making bank with all the expansions. Do you need ES6 when you have a full MMO with the same gameplay but every area known to man in it?

ESO is doing fine. It take place in the 2nd era. Around 800 years before Morrowind. That, and the fact it is an MMO, leaves plenty of room for another single player Elder Scrolls game. The interest in making another Elder Scrolls on Bethesdas end is obviously very low. That combined with their inability to make a coherent, playable, fun product, spells disaster for Elder Scrolls 6. I hope it never get made. Todd has lost it. Emil never had it. The danger haired weirdos can only ruin shit. And the rest of the team is happy to outsource their work to street shitters.
who will pick up the torch and deliver us another game like skyrim? who does open world as good as bethesda?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
New Vegas is perfectly playable vanilla, the only mods you need are stutter, bugfix and the jsawyer mod which does some rebalance to make it harder.

"It's perfectly playable vanilla, here's a list of mods to make it playable."
Okay Vic. I don't think you know what vanilla means and no amount of mods can fix how boring that game is. And you got angry you got that 'tard branding.

Says the guy reading low quality fanfiction made for pedophiles while I play Digimon Data squad. Maybe you should stick to book clubs and stay out of RPG threads.

Do you need ES6 if ESO exists though? I tried the trial a while back and went meh, it's skyrim and left it alone. I'm inclined to think if you have a decent mmo version of your single player game you're in a pretty decent place. If you can play MMO ES and get an entire new region to explore every 6-12 months what is a new single player game doing for you? Other than people twerking in towns is the experience any different?

who does open world as good as bethesda?
Early access indie developers who abandon their games 2 weeks after release and a few hundred sales. Even Nintendo and Ubisoft have surpassed Bethesda at this point and they move at a glacial pace.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
who will pick up the torch and deliver us another game like skyrim? who does open world as good as bethesda?
:slamdunk:

Do you need ES6 if ESO exists though? I tried the trial a while back and went meh, it's skyrim and left it alone. I'm inclined to think if you have a decent mmo version of your single player game you're in a pretty decent place. If you can play MMO ES and get an entire new region to explore every 6-12 months what is a new single player game doing for you? Other than people twerking in towns is the experience any different?
ESO is nothing like a single player TES game, even ignoring the option to mod the single player game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Yes you do. You are a moron if you think it's like Skryim. Vic is right. You should go to general gaming.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
ESO is nothing like a single player TES game, even ignoring the option to mod the single player game.

Yes you do. You are a moron if you think it's like Skryim. Vic is right. You should go to general gaming.
How is the gameplay any different? I checked this video and if you took the hud away I couldn't tell the difference between this game and skyrim. It's the exact same thing.

Vic

Savant
Says the guy reading low quality fanfiction made for pedophiles while I play Digimon Data squad. Maybe you should stick to book clubs and stay out of RPG threads.
well, am I wrong? What are some RPGs you actually like? And don't say Dark Souls.

Vic

Savant
on this topic, starfield is getting a lot of publicity, and you know what they say about publicity

hard to believe it's not a tremendous financial success for them

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Archolos is already out and it's a bunch of fairly casual modders. Beating Skyturd to hell and back.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's good for what? Retard bait?
Competent shooter with a few fun quests and action scenes. Ranger questline is fun, Pirate questline is fun, United Colonies questline is okay. Plus one or two good sidequests like the generational ship.

It's the first Bethesda game I can think of where they should have actively done less - MW/Skyrim/etc feel like sketches of great games that haven't been fleshed out properly, while Starfield feels like a solid Far Cry style FPS trapped inside the rotted shell of a Bethesda game. Scrap the procgen exploration shit, cut down on the pointless empty towns, combine all the quests into a campaign, and you've got a decent FPS game.
I'm sorry but competent shooter?

Fuck off.

Vic

Savant
well, am I wrong? What are some RPGs you actually like? And don't say Dark Souls.
Elden Ring, Bloodborne and Demon's souls.

Define an RPG.
I say don't say dark souls and you mention the other souls games lmao

That's what I mean, how many of the codex top 101 top RPGs have you played? You come in every thread talking shit about RPGs and the closest to an RPG that you have played is Elden Ring.

Come on dude why do you feel the need to prove something? Just admit RPGs aren't your genre and stop shitting up threads with your nonsense.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Elden Ring, Bloodborne and Demon's souls.

Define an RPG.
I say don't say dark souls and you mention the other souls games lmao

That's what I mean, how many of the codex top 101 top RPGs have you played? You come in every thread talking shit about RPGs and the closest to an RPG that you have played is Elden Ring.

Come on dude why do you feel the need to prove something? Just admit RPGs aren't your genre and stop shitting up threads with your nonsense.
I see you're too autistic to understand that was the joke.

I've played 22 of them.

I still want you to define an RPG because I've been on the internet since the early 2000s and I've heard every definition and I can't tell you which would pass your definition without it being explained. Many people wouldn't call Starfield an RPG. It's an FPS game with abilities and loot. Which usually falls under looter shooter not RPG.

Vic

Savant
I still want you to define an RPG because I've been on the internet since the early 2000s and I've heard every definition and I can't tell you which would pass your definition without it being explained. Many people wouldn't call Starfield an RPG. It's an FPS game with abilities and loot. Which usually falls under looter shooter not RPG.
I already said in a reponse to you that I define genres not by features but by the experience the game provides. There are different sub-genres of RPG like blobber, which again has sub genres of real-time blobber and turn-based blobber. Blobbers provide a unique experience which anybody can clearly say "this game is a blobber", with pretty significant differences between real time and turn based too.

in the case of starfield we have to look at what experience it provides. Starfield is a mash up of different genres, but there is RPG gameplay there. If you would focus on the main quest or any faction questline you would get your average nuFallout/TES style quest content.

We also have FPS gameplay with the combat, which provides shooter gameplay.

Next we have basebuilding/sandbox shit like Minecraft.

Ship building is probably another thing unique to space games?

If you play Starfield like Lemming42 where you focus on the quests, then yes I would say Starfield is most definitely an RPG because most of your playtime is spent on RPG gameplay.

If you play it like me, then it's more of a sandbox/survival/crafting game. I don't enjoy Bethesda quests so I had fun playing it that way. I also had some fun playing it as a looter shooter, but it's very weak in that aspect.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I already said in a reponse to you that I define genres not by features but by the experience the game provides. There are different sub-genres of RPG like blobber, which again has sub genres of real-time blobber and turn-based blobber. Blobbers provide a unique experience which anybody can clearly say "this game is a blobber", witch p significant differences between real time and turn based.
If you can't define the genre then I can't tell you. This is why I said to define it and instead you wrote an essay saying it's subjective. So then my favourite RPG is Mario bros 2. The experience I get is that I'm playing the role of a mushroom man eating turnips. I am role playing.

Starfield's experience is you walk around an empty map with an awful stamina system. Watch 3 NPCs break and then get told to fast travel between 2 planets to turn in a quest.

Here's a picture of when I gave up on the game. 40+ hours of gameplay and it was still just a bad looter shooter with the ugliest NPCs I've ever seen. I did some character quests and married Sarah Morgan. Had to wait forever for merchants to restock the 1 type of bullet I needed more than 20 of, waited even longer for them to have enough money to buy all the junk I picked up along the way, I explored some planets. I played Superman 64 and it wasn't remotely RPG like. It was a buggy version of borderlands with boring weapons and more glitches than.. well a Bethesda game. Shit would break constantly and I played it to laugh at the bugs. Are you going to tell me it gets better on New game plus?
Starfield-Ae-L5475o7u.jpg

Vic

Savant
If you can't define the genre then I can't tell you. This is why I said to define it and instead you wrote an essay saying it's subjective.
It kind of is subjective but my point was more there are many sub-genres of RPGs, maybe Zed Duke of Banville can post his list for you.
So then my favourite RPG is Mario bros 2. The experience I get is that I'm playing the role of a mushroom man eating turnips. I am role playing.
Eating turnips might be considered RPG gameplay, if you'd get some form of buff or stat increase for your character, but that's not the case, you don't actively hunt out mushrooms to increase your stats. The core gameplay loop is platforming, hence it's a platformer and since there are no stats associated to the eating of turnips except to serve as a power up, which is part of platformer gameplay, there are no RPG elements either.

It's kind of obvious if you're not deliberately trying to be obtuse what constitutes as RPG gameplay and what doesn't.

Games, like other media, tend to fall into different genres, which are defined by the experience they provide. We know that if something is a Mystery, there's some kind of mystery involved. We know if something is an Adventure, the character goes on one and faces hardships and grows as a result of overcoming them and so forth. Likewise if something is an ARPG (a term coined for Diablo-likes) we know we'll have Diablo-like gameplay which includes the usual of top-down camera, mouse click fest, autistic gear grind, etc.

If we can clearly define different types of gameplay it becomes much easier, but the eternal question of "what is an RPG?" is impossible to answer because it's too vague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom