Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
trailer looks weak but let's see what modders will do with the game.

To the person saying game can be "fixed in half hour", if you look at the best mods for Skyrim etc. they took years and many people to make.

Think I'll wait for the second (or third) DLC for another playthru

Vic

Savant
Bethesda pretty much invented microtransactions with their horse armor pack so what do you expect

I'm more infuriated with the state of game journalism, are they just stalking reddit for ideas? poor sods

Snufkin

Augur
Bethesda pretty much invented microtransactions with their horse armor pack so what do you expect

I'm more infuriated with the state of game journalism, are they just stalking reddit for ideas? poor sods
You are not going believe it but my computer mouse has built in cheats that require microtransactions. :-D :P

ind33d

Learned

speaking as an editor, the idea that a sci-fi short story writer could adapt his content into a starfield mod is really interesting. you could make one-shot campaigns that consist of a single location or planet. because bethesda are all autistic, all the assets and clutter and weapons already exist. you could use AI to generate voice lines, repurpose POIs, reskin a couple things. like the amount of work it would take to port Classic Traveller modules to Starfield is almost zero

Also, the way Bethesda cut Trackers and House Varuun from vanilla completely to be added later on shows how competent they are. Halfway into development, Cyberpunk had to comment out its entire branching story structure to the point that they had to change what genre the game is due to spaghetti code, and none of that missing stuff even got put back in after the DLC.

Bend over, Codex. Todd's going in dry

have you ever worked with the creation engine? its such a tedius process just to create a small area with a few npcs who sort of behave believably.

how hard would it be to make a TIE Fighter-style questline of just some flavor text and space battles? or a Thief mission with lots of lockpicking and stealth?

all the individual game mechanics are fun. the persuasion minigame is good, the ship building is good, the combat is good, the outposts are good, the companions are good. there just needs to be more connective tissue between the game systems, which doesn't even require work that is actually expensive like assets or VA. mods should be able to bridge the gap

official NG+ also means that you could create a module that changes with every playthrough, which IIRC has never been possible before

where is the fucking mod that gives your ship and crew upkeep costs? is sam coe my slave? what the fuck? actually, slavery would be pretty interesting, like MGSV fultoning people to join your ship crew

ind33d

Learned
at least half of the questlines in starfield are great, why does everyone want to hatefuck it?
I'm a storyfag with 25 years of vidya under my belt and with the exception of Morrowind Bethesda has never been good at story.

But to each his own.
The real problem with quest mods is that every Starfield character is fuck-huge overpowered, especially considering NG+. So adding a dungeon with a handful of Level 6 pirates isn't gonna cut it. Has anyone tried using mods to test mass combat? Maybe the engine can support 10+ enemies onscreen. Think the fight scenes in Attack of the Clones or Mount & Blade. A sci-fi M&B would be awesome

Yosharian

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
You are not going believe it but my computer mouse has built in cheats that require microtransactions. :-D :P
Good old China, I remember someone posting Chinese adverts for PCs which extolled how said machine would make cheating easier, faster, whatever.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

ind33d

Learned
now that creations are out, has anyone tried one of the quick start mods and starting a new character in the middle of some backwater shithole with all the survival mechanics enabled? that seems actually fun

Lemming42

Arcane
Wonder if there's a way to remove the chaff from this game with Creation Kit. Like, just delete any planet/system that has nothing in it, so the player is just presented with a list of actual worthwhile shit when they open the galaxy map*. And make it so that fast travel between those planets is instantaneous instead of having to go aboard the ship and have Sarah tell you she's enormously disappointed in you.

Remove all the empty shit so I can see where the actual content is, speed up the travel, and ideally gimme a log with all quests in the game so I can see what there is to do (something like this, and I'd genuinely play this again right now.

*(insert obvious joke here about how it'd be a blank map then, hardy hardy har)

ind33d

Learned
Todd + Hitler = Toddler

And because Bethesda games are made by Toddler they can only be appreciated by people on a toddlers intellectual level. Starfield isn't even a Childs game, it's for babies
The problem is the exact opposite. The Londinion Terrormorph mission is literally impossible on max difficulty because you die to elemental exposure before even fighting the enemies. SF was clearly intended to be a hardcore survival RPG with trigonometric astrogation like Traveller. Someone rebooted the game mid-development and cut all the mechanics

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I can't believe they put out a trailer just to highlight legally distinct funko pops.

1718426007036.png

Robotigan

Learned
It's only a single mission, but the free Tracker's Alliance quest is probably the best one in the entire game. Charitably, you could say Starjacker got a level of attention that wasn't afforded to individual missions in the base game and maybe the base game didn't use much Zero-G because it was a super late addition to the engine. Uncharitably, you might note that the base game's lead quest designer "left" the company to join a studio that immediately went kaput, and then his replacement delivered the best set piece in the entire game. You might also note that UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet upstaged the main quest as well. You might seriously consider if Will Shen isn't that good of a quest designer and Far Harbor's praise was more reactionary than an honest assessment of its design.

Vic

Savant
why are people still hating on the game in this thread, like, get a life, or are you bored already playing helicopter dick in BG3?

a new era has dawned for starfield players so you can huff and puff as much as you want but the game is going to get exponentially better from here on out

this is the power of what I call the "open source development model of Bethesda games"

team work makes the dream work

Lemming42

Arcane
It's only a single mission, but the free Tracker's Alliance quest is probably the best one in the entire game. Charitably, you could say Starjacker got a level of attention that wasn't afforded to individual missions in the base game and maybe the base game didn't use much Zero-G because it was a super late addition to the engine. Uncharitably, you might note that the base game's lead quest designer "left" the company to join a studio that immediately went kaput, and then his replacement delivered the best set piece in the entire game. You might also note that UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet upstaged the main quest as well. You might seriously consider if Will Shen isn't that good of a quest designer and Far Harbor's praise was more reactionary than an honest assessment of its design.
Who worked on which parts? I thought UC and Rangers were both good, Crimson Fleet was very good, and the corporation one was middling. Main quest sucked but that's par for the course with Bethesda (and it did at least have a couple of decent setpieces - I like the part where you're sneaking through the place in Neon and Issa is telling you where the guards and security systems are).

Yeah Far Harbor did suck though, never got the praise for it. I couldn't even finish it.

jackofshadows

Magister
Every single quest line sucked. Some more, some less, doesn't really matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom