Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Swen solved RPGs. You need fully animated gay sex to sell. Why can't Todd understand such a simple thing?
Well, I'm still wondering about the jetpack sex thing that someone promised.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I uninstalled and am going to shelve the game for a year. The performance is unacceptable, I could live with a lot of other issues but with how disgusting this game looks I just can't fathom how it performs so badly. In a year the game will be in a better state (Fabulously Optimistic) and there will be tons of mods to fix Todd's retarded design decisions (Fabulously Optimistic).

Back to Baldur's Gate 3 and Jagged Alliance! I also have Miasma Chronicles still to play.

Just buy a new computer bitch.

Yosharian

Arcane
I uninstalled and am going to shelve the game for a year. The performance is unacceptable, I could live with a lot of other issues but with how disgusting this game looks I just can't fathom how it performs so badly. In a year the game will be in a better state (Fabulously Optimistic) and there will be tons of mods to fix Todd's retarded design decisions (Fabulously Optimistic).

Back to Baldur's Gate 3 and Jagged Alliance! I also have Miasma Chronicles still to play.

Buying a new gfx card every gen is a scam. I'm sticking with my 3080 until NVIDIA Frame Gen emerges from beta (5000 series)

Robber Baron

Savant
Hopefully Starfield recieves its Grounded Commonwealth at some point, hopefully at this point it will also recieve realtime planet to planet travel and some type of Mako mod
until then

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
This is how all games should do it, make it clear that a dialogue choice is going to be gay, so even social retards get it:

Starfield-9-9-2023-12-10-34-AM.png

Lemming42

Arcane
The amount of opening the map, fast travelling, taking off and landing, etc is one of the big flaws of the game. It needs a better map, fast, and ideally more robust travel options to prevent the player having to be constantly fucking around with the ship.

I'm watching some streamers play it on console and it looks like the map is even more annoying to navigate with a controller. Plus, there are still some people who think you have to get in the pilot's seat and manually engage grav drive every time you want to travel, which is understandably making the game tedious for them. The game should really make it clearer that this isn't the case and that you can cut out several loading screens and a lot of boredom by just travelling direct with the map.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Why are we STILL talking about how most NPCs in the game are brown? This is the future where all races are mixed together.
In a future like that humanity would never get off this rock. Cope, seethe, and dilate.
Seriously? Do you think they would only bring white people on board the spaceships for evacuation? You need at least a couple niggers to fill out your space basketball team.

Germany just beat US's ass in the basketball world championship. German team is mostly white dudes. US is mostly black dudes.

The narrative is crumbling fast.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

plebs: buying a new computer to play gamepass slop

me, an intellectual: buys a new computer to play HoMM III

Robotigan

Learned
And this, is why we can't have unique games and everything is just a copy of a copy.
Are you serious? What is unique about Starfield?
No one else has tried to blend space travel with a compelling on-planet action-adventure component. Well that's not totally true. Games like Mass Effect and Beyond Good and Evil were initially supposed to be that but they fell so far short it's not even recognizable in the finished product. Starfield legitimately achieved it, at the cost of loading screens, and it'll probably pick up at least one or two awards at DICE for it. Additionally, Starfield's aesthetic inspirations are kinda niche for the gaming world and deserving of some space nerd cred. NASApunk--however you feel about the name--is an inspired design choice. Also how the game indulges a 'space trucker' vibe with a cargo system/missions to support it is really cool and not something you would get out of most developers.

Another thing that's kind of old hat for Bethesda but frustratingly unique in the RPG space is how they implement everything with open-ended systems rather than handling interactions on a case-by-case basis. In fact I'll state it outright, the former is just flat out better game design than the latter. D&D didn't invent roleplay, that's existed as long as children have picked up sticks and pretended they were swords. What it did was codify the fantasy into a system of rules and that's what made imaginary activities feel meaningful. Even if it doesn't simulate everything 1-to-1, it provides a self-consistent model meaning you can make predictions about sub-pattern behavior and then test them. Because the simulative domain of the table top space is so large, many devs just create a combat system and then default to illusory case-handling everywhere else. They'll often crib the D&D rule set to inform how they should handle cases, but fundamentally it's a cheat. You can't invent a novel solution, you can only discover one the devs planned around. Bethesda has a rather strict adherence to cheating as little as possible and it's why they've tended towards procedural and crafting mechanics over reactive storytelling. Computers can do the former. The latter is always a cheat.

To my understanding Larian actually has some pretty robust game systems. But we all know what typifies the "choice & consequence" that everyone celebrates comes down to throwing a large enough animation budget at all the story divergences, same as it was for Bioware and CDPR. It's not mysterious to anyone how this content works structurally, visual novels and text-based games before that used the exact same methodology. I mean, who hasn't constructed a flowchart diagram? The reason bloggers and video essayists praise this stuff is precisely because it's easy to understand how it works, and you don't need a CS degree to comprehend it.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
And this, is why we can't have unique games and everything is just a copy of a copy.
Are you serious? What is unique about Starfield?
No one else has tried to blend space travel with a compelling on-planet action-adventure component. Well that's not totally true. Games like Mass Effect and Beyond Good and Evil were initially supposed to be that but they fell so far short it's not even recognizable in the finished product. Starfield legitimately achieved it, at the cost of loading screens, and it'll probably pick up at least one or two awards at DICE for it. Additionally, Starfield's aesthetic inspirations are kinda niche for the gaming world and deserving of some space nerd cred. NASApunk--however you feel about the name--is an inspired design choice. Also how the game indulges a 'space trucker' vibe with a cargo system/missions to support it is really cool and not something you would get out of most developers.

Another thing that's kind of old hat for Bethesda but frustratingly unique in the RPG space is how they implement everything with open-ended systems rather than handling interactions on a case-by-case basis. In fact I'll state it outright, the former is just flat out better game design than the latter. D&D didn't invent roleplay, that's existed as long as children have picked up sticks and pretended they were swords. What it did was codify the fantasy into a system of rules and that's what made imaginary activities feel meaningful. Even if it doesn't simulate everything 1-to-1, it provides a self-consistent model meaning you can make predictions about sub-pattern behavior and then test them. Because the simulative domain of the table top space is so large, many devs just create a combat system and then default to illusory case-handling everywhere else. They'll often crib the D&D rule set to inform how they should handle cases, but fundamentally it's a cheat. You can't invent a novel solution, you can only discover one the devs planned around. Bethesda has a rather strict adherence to cheating as little as possible and it's why they've tended towards procedural and crafting mechanics over reactive storytelling. Computers can do the former. The latter is always a cheat.

To my understanding Larian actually has some pretty robust game systems. But we all know what typifies the "choice & consequence" that everyone celebrates comes down to throwing a large enough animation budget at all the story divergences, same as it was for Bioware and CDPR. It's not mysterious to anyone how this content works structurally, visual novels and text-based games before that used the exact same methodology. I mean, who hasn't constructed a flowchart diagram? The reason bloggers and video essayists praise this stuff is precisely because it's easy to understand how it works, and you don't need a CS degree to comprehend it.

The game needs to be fun tho

Vic

Savant
you are right, mh interesting, maybe you get one star every 5 levels, tho why are the other ones so small now

Vic

Savant
I found a Magpulse rifle which fires 25 rounds at once in a rectangular pattern, and I have the more crits perk, I also enabled floating damage numbers so whenever I shoot someone they take massive damage and numbers and crits are everywhere, p cool

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Personally if I want to play a shooter I'm going to play pvp. I don't find single player shooters fun especially with rpgs. Doesn't help that the AI is retarded as hell in this game.

I want strategy and character building in an rpg. Not a lackluster shooter

Vic

Savant
yup, it's definitely an FPS :lol:

but big improvement over FO4 combat, not sure about FO76 as I never played it.

I think mods can make it even better, somehow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom