Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
The more I learn, the more I think Starfield is (1) a disappointment upon release, but (2) will be a pretty good game after patching, DLC, and mods. The story and world building will never be salvageable (generic), but could become a neat rpg/space survival sim with enough quests to keep it interesting.

Bethesda clearly bit off more than it could chew. The project is ambitious at the macro level (huge space RPG, orbits calculated in real time, procedural generation out the wazoo, modular construction of things in any location), but seems flat to me at the micro level (aforementioned genericness and lacking features that should obviously be in the game, but didn't make the cut).

For the ambition, I dub Starfield :incline:.

Todd took a big risk and there's something worthwhile in the result. Give me a risk that only pans out halfway over a "safe product" any day of the week.

Not gonna buy it yet... but if they can transplant some of the cool new engine innovations into a universe I'm actually interested in, like TES or Fallout, then I'll be pleased. In the meantime, I have enough on my backlog to not need Starfield.

Typically the better games score lower on release owing to their ambition. Thinking TOEE here with its sub 80 score. Sincerely hope their "big risk" translates into something memorable and worthwhile post patching and mods. From what i'm reading every aspect of the game is at best mediocre or subpar.
How is this is even an improvement over Fallout 3 (which is over 15 years old)? Graphics (from screenshots) appear on par (interiors/textures at least) with Deus Ex HR/MD (also over what 8 years old?).

But more to the point is the game fun? Does it keep you engaged and wanting to keep playing?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I must admit I am rather envious of those indulging in Todd's MAGNVM OPVS but my system is starting to run its course. Would you guys be willing to support a gofundme to help build a monster machine to tackle the beast that is STARFIELD?
Only if you refund the Bloodlines 2 pre order.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just once it'd be nice to a have a game release thread where people discuss the fucking game rather than writing their dumbfuck political screeds. Why can't you people make a separate thread for this inane horseshit.
There are also quite a few smaller settlements that have quests on them, and I don't think that faction and main quests take you to most of them. So if you aren't doing much exploring in the systems (planets with settlements have that spaceship looking icon above them) you are probably going to miss a lot of the smaller settlements and the quests attached to them. And I still only have about a dozen or so stars explored, but there are quest chains that start from entering and exploring systems as well. I assume that there are some quests in out-of-the-way systems that would be missed without exploring all of them.
I've been on the lookout for these, I clocked the settlement symbol thing and started visiting all of those. I wonder how much content is hidden out in the red systems that can't be reached without a superior grav-drive - that's like half the map, and yet I'm guessing there's no more cities akin to Neon or New Atlantis, no more major factions, etc. So I wonder what exactly is out there.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
This is one of those sort of unspoken features. Basically your badge progression is linked to how much of a flaming space homo you are, you get a star for each dick you suck.
you're really trying to be part of the cool boys aren't you faggot

Honestly, Yes.
Cool Boiz is better than Bethestards.
I got integrity, if I like something I say it, even if Shillitron gave me the Bethestard tag because I was slandering his Tranny Gate 3

and I'm not a cunt like racofer who just hides behind retard ratings

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
1694183307296.png
has one of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard in a video game, and on top of that they spelt his name the Welsh way instead of the Irish way. I'm trying really hard to like it but it feels like the game is trying equally hard to make me hate it.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
has one of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard in a video game, and on top of that they spelt his name the Welsh way instead of the Irish way. I'm trying really hard to like it but it feels like the game is trying equally hard to make me hate it.

I think the use accents in this game is one of the sillier aspects that takes me out of the game more the most. Some people are still more recently from the final evacuations from Earth as at lost it's atmosphere so they might still retain an accent from their origin, but most people, especially the younger ones, were born and raised in the colonies, and they should have whatever accent their colony has.

And I haven't seen any world building attempt to establish that certain accents are the ones the became predominant in certain colonies. The accents are primarily ethnnic based on the ethnicity of the NPCS. It is particularly bad for Asian NPCs, especially the random background ones. They are usually presented as having some kind of Asian accent. And it isn't like they are trying to claim something like Neon has taken on a primarily Asian accent and most of the Asians you see are from Neon. Because non-Asian NPCs in Neon don't have that accent.

Lemming42

Arcane
I was wondering if the accents were meant to be some kind of worldbuilding thing - like, there's no Aussie NPCs in most of the game and then suddenly there's like four stood next to each other on Mars. Obviously still wouldn't make a great deal of sense.

Though I've known a few people IRL who have fairly strong national accents from their parents, despite being born in the UK themselves. I guess at the point Starfield takes place, it's not totally out of the question for people to be picking up their parents' accents, which are Earth accents.

In fairness, coming up with a new accent for sci-fi is a complete pain in the ass and is borderline impossible. They made Marina Sirtis do a totally alien accent for TNG and the best she (or anyone, really) could manage was some kind of weird Israeli-sounding thing, which they then made no other Betazoid in the entire franchise have. I guess you could have background NPCs get assigned a random accent from the pool of voice actors to make things feel a bit less Earth-like.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just putting icons in front of loot items would be a gigantic improvement. I can't tell what's a food, crafting item, or drugs.
seriously. something about this game that makes the looting feel so mentally draining. its so detailed and cluttered. it makes the processes of going through coffee cups, folders, books, pencils and sandwiches feel like shit. I just think they need to stop with this and make these useless garbage items static background props
If you can't pick up trash and take it to your house you can't LARP, defeating the point of the game.
There is a mod that does that. Look up my post about it.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Though I've known a few people IRL who have fairly strong national accents from their parents, despite being born in the UK themselves. I guess at the point Starfield takes place, it's not totally out of the question for people to be picking up their parents' accents, which are Earth accents.
It does happen but generally in my experience when kids pick up accents from their parents it's either the accent of the country they live in with a twang or it diminishes significantly when they start full time education in the country (although I have English cousins who start speaking in a semi Irish accent out of habit when they visit so it's clearly still buried in there somewhere!) Usually when they inherit a full accent it's a very socially segregated community, and unless they really pick up the slack later in the game I don't think Starfield has done the legwork to establish those kinds of divides, although it would be interesting if they'd chosen to do that (for example you mentioned the Australian thing that could have been the seed of something but they didn't bother to do anything with it).

Really though I'd probably be a lot more forgiving if the accents were good, it's grating to hear so many done so badly. If for some reason they couldn't find any Irish, English or Russian VAs there are a wealth of different American accents they could have used to make it sound more diverse and I think most people would have been fine with that.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
How many others might agree with me? Take a poll and get back to me.

In a month? Everyone will. Once the honeymoon period is over, the nitpicks will become generally accepted criticisms. Even the youtube shills are breaking down faster than usual.

I never understood how people can get so worked up over seeing a black (GASP!!!!) in a videogame

I just don't want to get shot over my space boots.

unless your view of game characters are these bland dialogue-dispencers that never talk about anything meaningful.

Explicitly, yes.

Honestly, Yes.
Cool Boiz is better than Bethestards.

POV: You're Vic and the Cool Boys have entered the thread.

TuEe_q.gif

Yosharian

Arcane
I uninstalled and am going to shelve the game for a year. The performance is unacceptable, I could live with a lot of other issues but with how disgusting this game looks I just can't fathom how it performs so badly. In a year the game will be in a better state (Fabulously Optimistic) and there will be tons of mods to fix Todd's retarded design decisions (Fabulously Optimistic).

Back to Baldur's Gate 3 and Jagged Alliance! I also have Miasma Chronicles still to play.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so the 'Activities' in the quest log do not clear?

I've noticed they often only clear if you are actively tracking that activity when you do it. Doing it when not tracking that activity often doesn't count, for some reason.

Some are there to help you navigate, though. So if you rent a room, it will keep an activity to sleep in that room as long as the rental is active.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom