Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'd say give it some time for people to figure out some creative builds.

I have a weapon that fires 25 rounds per shot right now and that scales really well with the increased critical % perk as each round can crit, so that's fun for me right now :lol:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Seems like space combat is pretty binary, either you have the shields and firepower to win or you don't.

Infinite missles is a mistake because you remove the ability to spend resources to turn the tide; they do equal damage to shields and hull so theyre not even tactical. There's little reason not to mount all particle canons since they have great damage and range and don't require lock on, and theres no traditional energy bar like other space sims. (Keep a laser for disabling ships for boarding.)

Even at 100 mobility ships are just too slow and clunky to have a proper dogfight. It's more like classic Frontier; aim your laser at the enemies and hope they die first.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's a major downgrade from Fallout 4's combat system and weapon feel.

Comparing specifically to Fallout 4, is there any room for off-beat or gimmicky combat builds? Like, in F4, you can take the normally underwhelming gun bashing perk, combine it with a shredder minigun and stumble into some of the best dps in the game. Or how, by taking advantage of the actually pretty surprising number of melee weapon buffs, you can take a fast, light, low damage weapon like a switchblade and turn it into something easily capable of taking out high end enemies like deathclaws and behemoths. Is anything cool like that on the table?
why are you asking him, he's just spreading fake news about the game, do you really think they made it worse? If anything you have more options available due to more mods, more perks and affixes. Yeah, they decided to cut down on the gore but otherwise gunplay is superior.

No, I think no VATS definitely makes melee builds under-powered and removes the luck/critical hit focused builds of FO4.

In terms of combat builds for characters I think there are probably fewer builds based on my current experiences, but I also haven't gotten the magic star powers yet, so I don't know how that changes things.

But they have added space combat and more things to do that are not combat related, and those impact character progression choices a lot. I definitely feel like there are lots of things I am still looking forward to being able to invest points in (I am lvl 27 or 28 currently, IIRC) and for most level-ups there are usually several things I really want to get that I have to choose between, while I was never really that excited to level up in FO4.

So overall I would say there are more ways to build your character (and you definitely can't be good at everything you may want to do at lower level) but that there are fewer ground combat builds.

Vic

Savant
In terms of combat builds for characters I think there are probably fewer builds based on my current experiences, but I also haven't gotten the magic star powers yet, so I don't know how that changes things.
Mh, I don't know but did you consider weapon mods and affixes? I'm pretty sure you get more builds than in FO4, but I don't really care about crazy builds too much so idk

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mh, I don't know but did you consider weapon mods and affixes? I'm pretty sure you get more builds than in FO4, but I don't really care about crazy builds too much so idk

They seem pretty similar to the legendary effects from FO4 so far. Although you are able to get multiple effects on a single weapon now, so that might change things.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In terms of builds its pretty much the standard matrix of stealth/no stealth + ranged/melee. There are specializations for weapon types but that is just optimization. Any reasonbly experienced FPS player is going to sail through every fight with any perks. I hate to admit it, but at least Fallout 3/4 had VATS.

After that it's crafting unlocks and NPC skills. Can Sam fly every ship since he has 4 piloting? If so no reason for the player to take it. Do you care about tweaking weapon mods? (It seems less useful than fallout 4). You could max all the research skills and make money and level up exclusively from scanning I guess.

infinite fuel
I don't really care. Refueling is mostly busy work, though I'd be fine with a landing fee every time you hit a port. It's preferable to the NMS solution of putting infinite asteroids everywhere.

Lemming42

Arcane
Doing main quest and it's not bad by Bethesda standards. Part where
you and Walter have to sneak through the corporation building while his wife helps you by fucking around with the security systems
is p cool.

Szenhidrat

Novice
I have no idea why they needed to make a new IP. It's like they believed that the last 20 years the games they made were sold by the ehm... "Bethesda Charm" and not by being Fallout or TES lore games.

Anyway. Neither wanted to buy this or BG3 so i spent the money i saved up to get the Broken Sword games. But since i was gifted Starfield i just had to try it out.

I had like 6-7 hours in the game, and not the characters, story, gameplay, setting, items could keep my interest and all i was thinking while playing is "What will happen with Geroge's lucky piece of coal?" So i stopped and went back to BS and had immense fun.

If you enjoy this game, more power to you my lovely friend(altho please try out Broken Sword sometime although it's not an rpg).

So my rating for this game is this wall of text out of 10.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why is this planet wearing its rings as a hat?
it doesn't wear it as a hat you absolute moron. I see game is still getting a lot of normie hate because that's the safe herd-think thing to do. Like the other poster above who said hip shooting is worse but he didn't bother looking at his perks. He just tried it, thought oh hip shooting is bad, game must be bad because everybody is calling game shit, so must be shit.

In your case, it's called perspective:
saturn_opposition_tilt.jpg

The "hat" effect is definitely there. Look at the 2028 picture you give, which is roughly at the same perspective, and compare it. In the 2028 perspective, you still see a chunk of planet above the ring. In the image in question on the other hand, the top of the planet is barely touching the ring. That's what's giving it the "hat" effect.

Jeez, some of you people, you've go no sense of perspective.

And neither do some of the artists at Bethesda, apparently.

9ted6

Educated
Seems like Nexus Mods users have had enough of the tranny and pronoun bullshit and are voicing their disgust for them and the trannies who have overrun the place.
72IgVrB.png

LR8s7W5.png

I'll like to point out that Dark0ne used his connections with Bethesda to get Elianora, LGBTQ+ and BLM modder as well as a coal burning Fin, a consultant role for Starfield. If you are wondering why there is so many blacks and faggots in the game it may not be just ESG but Elianora's insistences that they were added into the game. It's no wonder Dark0ne is running defense for this game and all of its bullshit.
"why do you care about pronouns? they're not a big deal, they're not important"
*permabans you for making a mod to disable them*

Alex

Arcane
Just once it'd be nice to a have a game release thread where people discuss the fucking game rather than writing their dumbfuck political screeds(...)

That is easy, just refuse to buy games where the developers insert their dumbfuck political screeds. I mean, "go woke, go broke" is a lie, but if no one is buying these they will eventually move to another medium.

Vic

Savant
playing starfield all week made me miss looking at white people

It's a great game, and I'm nearing the end of my playthrough, but it's something that I'm not going to replay again, so tired of the accents and browns and niggers.

Infinitron how do I remove the Bethestard tag? There isn't going to be another bethesda game for at least another 6 years this shit is irrelevant stop being butthurt that i talked bad about your bear sex simulator

Lemming42

Arcane
So as far as I'm understanding it, there are two ways to find things to do in unexplored space.
rp47ve5.png

One is to look for these white diamonds, which are some kind of event going on in orbit of the planet.

FHI0ftd.png

The other is to look for this symbol, which represents the presence of a settlement.

Is that it? I'm seeing the "..." marks on some planets, but the content there seems to be near-universally pretty bad - usually just some pirate outpost or warehouse with no real story or quest or dialogue, just a trash mob of enemies and some crap loot. I've also tried landing on procgen planets and exploring their caves and such, but again the content is simply not worth bothering with for someone who isn't interested in the resource gathering and outpost building aspects.

random_name

Novice
playing starfield all week made me miss looking at white people

It's a great game, and I'm nearing the end of my playthrough, but it's something that I'm not going to replay again, so tired of the accents and browns and niggers.

Infinitron how do I remove the Bethestard tag? There isn't going to be another bethesda game for at least another 6 years this shit is irrelevant stop being butthurt that i talked bad about your bear sex simulator
You can mod them out

https://moddinghaven.com/mediawiki/index.php/Starfield_mods

Vic

Savant
Is that it?
the other one is just flying into a solar system and waiting to see if you get a transmission. for example if you fly to the Porrima system you get a transmission that starts the quest "First Contact", which is a fun little quest

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So as far as I'm understanding it, there are two ways to find things to do in unexplored space.
rp47ve5.png

One is to look for these white diamonds, which are some kind of event going on in orbit of the planet.

FHI0ftd.png

The other is to look for this symbol, which represents the presence of a settlement.

Is that it? I'm seeing the "..." marks on some planets, but the content there seems to be near-universally pretty bad - usually just some pirate outpost or warehouse with no real story or quest or dialogue, just a trash mob of enemies and some crap loot. I've also tried landing on procgen planets and exploring their caves and such, but again the content is simply not worth bothering with for someone who isn't interested in the resource gathering and outpost building aspects.

The three dots mean there is some kind of building there (that I assume is not proc gen). But unless they are tied to a quest (in which case you can also find them via following the quest), they usually don't have much story or anything interesting going on.

A few are occaisionally a bit interesting though. One I rememberr was a research farm that had been overrun by the local dinosaurs. There wasn't any real story there, but it was more interesting than the normal outpost full of spacers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom