Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I did it boys

Starfield-9-12-2023-9-06-47-PM.png

Vic

Savant
Yeah, but Gamepass costs about 7 times less than 1 standard copy of Starfield. Gamepass isn't some magic money maker, there's a certain methodology behind it. If it doesn't lead to people staying subscribed for an additional 5-6 months, or without a direct purchase, Microsoft will still lose money.
these subscriptions are more profitable than you think because people are too lazy to cancel them so they just keep them running, getting somebody to subscribe (via starfield) is good business already

CinnamonBuns

Barely Literate
I'm sure the game is a "success" once you toss in Gamepass installs, but it will probably continue Betheda's steady decline.

-The Steam review scores are dropping like a rock (Started at 89%, currently at 77% and still falling). Chances are high that it will settle right at a perfectly mediocre 7/10. This is despite the Early Access refunders being barred from reviewing, skeptical customers gravitating towards Gamepass, and being frontloaded with reviews from 10,000 Bethesda fanboys that bought the $100 version of this shit.

-It has never even come close to surpassing BG3 in player count.

-Normies used to hold Bethesda up as the king of this genre, but they've been losing their luster for years and Starfield did nothing to change that. Average gamers are more likely to talk about Elden Ring/TW3/Zelda than to praise Bethesda's latest offerings.

I'll give Bethesda credit for one thing- Todd is really good at getting on stage and making their mediocre products look amazing in his E3 presentations. Those Fallout 4 and Starfield deep dives were probably the only world class things the company has produced in the last decade.

Vic

Savant
the way this works is all of the POIs are in the center of the cell, so if you walk for a bit and don't see any POIs in the distance in your scanner, that's pretty much it, but you can still keep walking for maybe 10-15 minutes until you reach the boundary...

Starfield-9-12-2023-9-20-33-PM.png

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
these subscriptions are more profitable than you think because people are too lazy to cancel them so they just keep them running, getting somebody to subscribe (via starfield) is good business already
You are 100% correct. However, keep in mind that I said an additional 5-6 months, since for already 'passive' accounts this game would mean nothing.

Vic

Savant
You are 100% correct. However, keep in mind that I said an additional 5-6 months, since for already 'passive' accounts this game would mean nothing.
if they don't like starfield they will look to other games to make their sub worth it and might get hooked on those instead, these people know how to make money...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
this is the most common mistake people make with the game. It just released for god's sake :lol: Give it some time for patches and DLCs, bethesda hasn't even released a performance patch yet despite the shit performance on many systems.... this is a significant factor that affects the negative review scores too.

I mean yeah, they've only been at it for 8 years with the budget of an aircraft carrier group, cut them some slack.

Vic

Savant
just found out that if you see a grey POI in the distance you can hit E on your scanner to scan it and find out more specific information about what that thing is so you don't waste time walking there.

they get marked on the surface map too then

Starfield-9-12-2023-9-50-59-PM.png

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Im pleased with my low end PC performance.
1080p all medium with stuff like ambient occlusion ,motion blur and grain off, nice ~40fps and closer to 60 indoors.

I7 4770
GTX1650 Super

Old Hans

Arcane
I did it boys

Starfield-9-12-2023-9-06-47-PM.png
they should have done something immersive when you reach the map limit. like you get thrown into a worm hole, sending you back to the ship & your guy is all "OMG its a NASA time warp anomaly" then a disembodied voice says "I am the dungeon master and you cannot leave my adventure" which turns out to be an asshole Starborn named Rodrigo Jaruez

Last edited:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Game pass is also a feature that is used to sell the system, so it contributes to console sales as well.

Based on everything we are seeing, Starfield is going to be considered a huge success by Microsoft. And it is going to make them a lot of money.

People are trying to meme that Starfield is a flop into existence, but it just isn't true. Sorry.

I am pleasantly surprised to see reviewers reviewing a Bethesda game more realistically though. I wonder what changed in game journalism and/or Bethesda's marketing practices. Was Bethesda previously doing certain things to ensure high review scores that Microsoft doesn't do anymore?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
if they don't like starfield they will look to other games to make their sub worth it and might get hooked on those instead, these people know how to make money...
I pay for Gamepass Ultimate and I got access to over 400 games with it, including all EA games and Zenimax games and all M$ games.
On PC you can get away with standard gamepass that does not have EA games, I only took it because Xbox Live is part of Ultimate gamepass and you need that for any multiplayer on Xbox.

Yosharian

Arcane

Yosharian

Arcane
Watched a bit of Jaffe's review, dude rambles on endlessly about some shit nobody understands and seems to think it's poetic and insightful or some shit

After 20 mins I still didn't really understand why he likes the game, apparently if you do the main quest iz gud game but if you do side content first it's trash?

Listening to him elucidate his thoughts is like pushing my brain through a cheese grater

Vic

Savant
apparently if you do the main quest iz gud game but if you do side content first it's trash?
well, there are some powers that are a must imo: detect life and unlimited oxygen, the force wave is useful too in combat against strong opponents to stunlock them and keep shooting in their head while they're trying to recover

Self-Ejected
I just wanted to say that I really regret purchasing Starfield. Mods won't fix this. Why did I do it? Because I like suffering? Because I'm more susceptible to marketing than I thought? All I wanted to do was collect minerals in a world where all the modded women looked like models. And now I'm having flashbacks to Andromeda, where the worst thing isn't actually the fact that everyone is LGBT, but that all the NPCs are constantly talking poorly written dialogues and monologues. I can't walk past an NPC without them starting to mumble some boring, irrelevant details about the name of the brother-in-law of the manager of the planet Mungo, or that our polyamorous relationship is over because instead of a cat, a non-binary crocodile is fucking a trans man.

Perhaps this experience will finally teach me that AAA games are not worth buying. Perhaps.
Did you really expect writing in a bethesda game?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing some during my lunch break. I think I am going to do the main quest and finally get my magic powers to see what those are all about.

Vic

Savant
ok I think I figured out planetary exploration of the proc gen content: Find a planet that is at or above your level (depends on your gear, I can easily kill enemies 50 levels above me on Very Hard with my current gear) and has life on it. Planets which are barren don't have much stuff on them. I have also noticed that coastal cells may have more aliens on them. Land your ship anywhere on the planet, get out and look around with your scanner if there are any POIs you want to visit (hit E on your scanner to get more details about what it is, locations with an exclamation mark have a quest usually from what I've seen, but I usually go for Structures to hunt Elites and avoid Natural and Caves), if there are, go there and look for new POIs that pop up on the way. If there aren't, open the planet map and click on a new location, you will be in a new cell within one loading screen and don't have to watch the boring ship animation. that's the most efficient way I've found to find relevant POIs and not waste time running around the wilderness. Oh and only do that in solar systems that are at your level, because you can kill aliens on the way for xp and the Elites drop good loot for you, don't waste time exploring lower level planets. Doing the highest level planets you can efficiently kill Elites in is probably best. The dungeons are all copy-pasted so after a while you can learn the layout and where the Boss and loot chest is. Most dungeons contain one main boss enemy and one big loot chest.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Im pleased with my low end PC performance.
1080p all medium with stuff like ambient occlusion ,motion blur and grain off, nice ~40fps and closer to 60 indoors.

I7 4770
GTX1650 Super

It runs on a Steam Dick too apparently.

But then it should, considering it's the Skyrim engine but with less texture detail.

Yosharian

Arcane
apparently if you do the main quest iz gud game but if you do side content first it's trash?
well, there are some powers that are a must imo: detect life and unlimited oxygen, the force wave is useful too in combat against strong opponents to stunlock them and keep shooting in their head while they're trying to recover
I get that but he was talking like doing the main quest first turns the game into the second coming of Jesus

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom