Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini 3 - now a "full-blown space RPG"

ShaggyMoose

Savant
1) One of my favourite space games of all time is Freelancer, which combined spaceship combat, trading, exploration, aliens, factions, hyperspace lanes, tons of ships with different qualities, and a story mode. How will this compare to that?

When we've researched gameplay for Starpoint Gemini 3, Freelancer was one of the titles that we took massive inspiration from.
Sounds to me like you don't run this game, but you have an arrangement with those who do.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I only played Warlords and was really disappointed. Mainly because of how shallow the combat is, I pressed 4 buttons in every battle, repeat a million times. I really want a space game where you have a hotbar with RPG like abilities and Warlords had it, but it only had 4 and they were kind of shallow and you never got new ones to swap out old ones. Just the same 4 for the entire game. The combat was generally bad too in other ways.

Also the character building / progression was really weak. You start poor with a crap ship, you get rich and get a fancy ship, and nothing really changes. I want to set up my own business and mine stuff on a planet and ship it to a factory and hire security to protect the trade route from bandits etc. And then when I get rich, go and capture sectors from some other factions.

If all this gets improved I will likely buy it. If not I'll get X4 once it has a year or so of patches and mods to make it not suck.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
I only played Warlords and was really disappointed. Mainly because of how shallow the combat is, I pressed 4 buttons in every battle, repeat a million times. I really want a space game where you have a hotbar with RPG like abilities and Warlords had it, but it only had 4 and they were kind of shallow and you never got new ones to swap out old ones. Just the same 4 for the entire game. The combat was generally bad too in other ways.

Also the character building / progression was really weak. You start poor with a crap ship, you get rich and get a fancy ship, and nothing really changes. I want to set up my own business and mine stuff on a planet and ship it to a factory and hire security to protect the trade route from bandits etc. And then when I get rich, go and capture sectors from some other factions.

If all this gets improved I will likely buy it. If not I'll get X4 once it has a year or so of patches and mods to make it not suck.

Warlords had its fair share of issues, and we are completely aware of it. The game was imagined as an RPG/4X strategy hybrid, where you're able to build and manage your fleet, and ultimately, conquer the universe.

Starpoint Gemini 3 is a different game, with a major emphasis on characters, storyline, role-playing... being a "freelancer" if you will.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That sounds good apart from the story and characters part. I never played a game that didn't have a terrible childish story and characters that I angrily spammed escape through. Except maybe one or two exceptions. Although that's just something I have to suffer through in most games, even stuff like an RTS insists on having some alien invasion story I've seen 1000 times. The only thing that really concerns me with what I've read so far is the "action" combat thing. If that means pew pew pew zomg lazerz, and flying in circles shooting at a target predictor, then count me well out. But if it works like Warlords but with more abilities, then I would probably love it, no matter how everything else turns out.

Although my ideal space game would be combat like that, but matched with X or EVE empire building stuff, running your own corporation etc. Preferably starting poor and doing some trades, killing some pirates, and then being a business mogul, like Transport Tycoon in space.

Also in terms of long term goals, I loved Space Rangers 2 how you could do all this trading, fighting pirates, and missions, but only in certain sectors. There were some sectors that were controlled by the "Dominators" who have high tech ships and were aggressive and could one shot you if you started poking your nose in their regions. But a few weeks later when you are rich and have some high tech gear of your own, you could start going into these previously scary sectors and battling them, earn some fat rewards and then flee to regroup. And if you repeated this well, you eventually win. I loved that long term goal. It stopped me from getting bored by the early trade missions and stuff, knowing that it all had a purpose.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean Freelancer's story wasn't War & Peace but it was OK. I think a concise, snappy story that introduces the world to the player is fine. Just don't do too many cutscenes, and don't steal control from the player.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Hi guys, sorry for replying late. There will be some cutscenes, but we are definitely making sure not to take control from the player. Cutscenes will be an introductory part of the main quests, and that's about it. There won't be long, boring conversations among the characters.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hi guys, sorry for replying late. There will be some cutscenes, but we are definitely making sure not to take control from the player. Cutscenes will be an introductory part of the main quests, and that's about it. There won't be long, boring conversations among the characters.
That's great, my comment was more along the lines of games taking away control of the player during play. Like you're in a mission flying around and then suddenly CUTSCENE TIME and your ship is flying on autopilot doing cool shit while you watch. That's something you should avoid, it's extremely annoying.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a franchise spin-off; a tactical space combat simulation with a 4X strategy layer on top. So yeah, we agree, some of the solutions were rather difficult to implement.

When it comes to Starpoint Gemini 3, the controls are dramatically improved in every area. Basically, the controls are more in line what people will expect from this kind of game.
What is your opinion about having WW1 type dogfight control for spaceships.

When we've researched gameplay for Starpoint Gemini 3, Freelancer was one of the titles that we took massive inspiration from.

Shut up and take my money.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a franchise spin-off; a tactical space combat simulation with a 4X strategy layer on top. So yeah, we agree, some of the solutions were rather difficult to implement.

When it comes to Starpoint Gemini 3, the controls are dramatically improved in every area. Basically, the controls are more in line what people will expect from this kind of game.

WW1 as in World War 1? Mustang P-51 or A6M Zero are pretty cool, although we believe they're not ideal for space fights :-P The ships in the game will be more similar to those in Star Wars :)

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

WW1 as in World War 1? Mustang P-51 or A6M Zero are pretty cool, although we believe they're not ideal for space fights :-P The ships in the game will be more similar to those in Star Wars :)
I mean just the controls, i.e. fighting by following other crafts, veering and diving etc. Generally, these are aerodynamic moves and of course not meaningful in space. But I always thought that they had both visual and action based charm.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer

I mean just the controls, i.e. fighting by following other crafts, veering and diving etc. Generally, these are aerodynamic moves and of course not meaningful in space. But I always thought that they had both visual and action based charm.

Yes, there will be fighting by following other crafts, veering, and diving. There will also be more complex fights, where you'll have to face enemy battleships. Generally, you can expect a very dynamic flight model. More will be revealed in the upcoming gameplay videos.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Yes, there will be fighting by following other crafts, veering, and diving. There will also be more complex fights, where you'll have to face enemy battleships. Generally, you can expect a very dynamic flight model. More will be revealed in the upcoming gameplay videos.
Will the combat have a bunch of abilities like Warlords or will it be pew pew lazers? Glad to hear there is not too much story.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer

Will the combat have a bunch of abilities like Warlords or will it be pew pew lazers? Glad to hear there is not too much story.

The story WILL be an integral part of the campaign, but we are making sure not to make it annoying for the player. Yes, there will be longer story quests, but the game isn't all about the story. You have a massive free-roam mode where you can do whatever you want.

You'll have skills which you can upgrade, and you will be able to upgrade your ship in various ways.

Yosharian

Arcane

The story WILL be an integral part of the campaign, but we are making sure not to make it annoying for the player. Yes, there will be longer story quests, but the game isn't all about the story. You have a massive free-roam mode where you can do whatever you want.

You'll have skills which you can upgrade, and you will be able to upgrade your ship in various ways.
Is the free-roam built in to the game alongside the campaign, or is it a separate thing? Like can I ditch the campaign for a while and just do free-roam, then go back to the campaign

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer

Is the free-roam built in to the game alongside the campaign, or is it a separate thing? Like can I ditch the campaign for a while and just do free-roam, then go back to the campaign

It's built into the game alongside the campaign. Basically, you can finish the story quest, do some free-roam, and continue the story when you feel like it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Skills for combat is what I'm all about. I always wanted a space game that works like a good MMO. Zap them with a shield damaging beam. Then zap them with nanites that do damage over time. Then send a missile, then an emp to stop them shooting back for a moment, etc. Tactical combat rather than mindless shooting. Warlords got me so excited about this but 4 or 5 skills is not nearly enough. People say World of Warcraft is dumb, yet it has 20 different abilities that all have pros and cons and require some brain power.

Yosharian

Arcane
Skills for combat is what I'm all about. I always wanted a space game that works like a good MMO. Zap them with a shield damaging beam. Then zap them with nanites that do damage over time. Then send a missile, then an emp to stop them shooting back for a moment, etc. Tactical combat rather than mindless shooting. Warlords got me so excited about this but 4 or 5 skills is not nearly enough. People say World of Warcraft is dumb, yet it has 20 different abilities that all have pros and cons and require some brain power.
Huh, WoW used to be like that, it isn't anymore

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer

We can't go into specifics regarding the skills in Starpoint Gemini 3, but we are making sure that you'll put those skills you'll have into good use, and that the combat will be challenging, fun and tactical :)

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
Hi guys,

In recent days, we got a number of questions regarding the timeline lore of all games from Starpoint Gemini series. Since each sequel had a different perspective on the events in the SPG universe, but they are all linked, we've decided to make a quick rundown of all major events dating back to a period even before the original Starpoint Gemini took place.

Hope you'll like this little chronology, as it puts things in a linear, easy to follow chain of events.

Just to give you a heads up - timeline stops just as Starpoint Gemini 3 is about to begin. We wouldn't want to spoil it for you...

Behold our ancient story of what really happened in Gemini (and beyond)...

681f612afc70c698d1282a651175da60c6d9ec64.jpg

First human expedition arrives on the planet Mars and establishes several permanent outposts

Construction of the first Martian city and a planetary shipyard

Colonization from both Earth and Mars spreads further to other planets of the Solar system

Horrible tragedy on Earth during testing of advanced new ship propulsion for extra-solar travels. Main governments and corporations evacuate to Mars

Colonial Alliance is founded and includes all colonized planets of the Solar system

Colonial Alliance returns to Earth and starts a war with the remaining population in order to establish a new social structure

War on Earth ends, new Earth Alliance is established and it includes the planet Earth and six Solar colonies

Construction of the first Starpoint, a gateway to Sirius system

First scientific and military vessels enter Sirius system. New colonization begins

Colonized planets in the Sirius system in open rebellion against Earth Alliance. State of emergency is declared

Earth Alliance crushes the Sirius rebellion. First Colonial Directorate is established in Sirius to maintain order

Foundation of the Earth Empire, all emergency jurisdiction is permanently in the hands of High Governor and his Council

Colonization of Orion system begins, second Colonial Directorate introduced

Science vessel „Nostromo“ investigates newly discovered wormhole and reaches the Gemini system, very unusual and unstable system with a large number of habitable planets

Starpoint Gemini constructed, colonization begins rapidly, third Colonial Directorate founded

Empire begins the Orion Project, the creation of enhanced humans based on uncovered alien technology

First uprising erupts in now very populated and wealthy Gemini system

9c4dd5c70c9d5fe1f8f05efcb670a0ada3b3955a.jpg

Enhanced human clones in Orion start an open rebellion. Imperial Command attempts to shut down the project

Colonial Directorate defeated in Gemini, the Starpoint incident closes the Starpoint and Gemini remains separated from the Empire

Empire makes the first contact with a presumably extinct alien species in the Orion system. Aliens help human clones in the rebellion

Imperial forces are driven out of the Orion system. Project Eulogy begins with great haste.

First two Leviathans cross to Orion system, both get destroyed in heavy battles

Human hybrid clones invade Imperial main space with the alien support

Empire is losing grip on its main space. It is driven to desperate measures. Two Leviathans travel to Sirius system but are lost without a trace. Spread out imperial armada abandons the search.

Starpoint Gemini is reopened, second Gemini war ends. Empire suddenly commands full withdrawal of all remaining forces to the Gemini system, including the remaining Leviathans. Earth in the Solar system is no longer the foothold of humankind.

c45043e71c4cecb941cac87596d105e45ff9ce79.jpg

Battered Empire seizes a small territory in Gemini and attempts to regain its strength as it becomes apparent that the A'Shriari aliens stopped advancing into this system

Last remnants of Colonial Directorate in Gemini are destroyed. Secret alien incursions committed by a faction that goes by the name „Brotherhood“ begin

Many Gemini factions, united by the fear of the Empire returning to power, start a relentless campaign to drive them out of Gemini.

Empire crumbles completely and disappears. Starpoint gateway is operational again.

Last refugee group to arrive in Gemini from former imperial main space, establishes a unique faction called Solari Concord. Other Gemini factions see them as the Empire supporters and attack them immediately.

05e48bc4b8e4223e191f8d61b58b573bc02f3716.jpg

Concord scientists and engineers assemble first Proxima from the old imperial Leviathan blueprints, a planet-destroying weapon that turned the tide of war.

Solari Concord survives the attacks from other Gemini factions and manages to coexist with them. They lead more and more frequent expeditions through the Starpoint to other forgotten imperial systems. News finally arrive about the developments there and the aliens’ intentions now that the war is over.

A'Shriari race declares they have no desire to eliminate the human race, and that their goal was to bring the Empire down. They sign a peace treaty according to which they are to return to their space but keep their presence in the former Empire systems to oversee the situation there.

After almost half a century, human factions Nexus and MultiOps send their colonization ships from Gemini to repopulate and rebuild the old imperial territory in the Sirius and Solar systems. They meet a new faction called Liberland. The Empire is no more, but its legacy lies in the Templar faction that is secretly working to restore it.
e5d5fe5debd53e6b6289d8ebddc13eb47a86d705.jpg

To be continued!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom