Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini 3 - now a "full-blown space RPG"

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/977720/announcements/detail/1585751909119741973
Starpoint Gemini 3 enters Early Access on September 5th!
Aug 29 @ 10:28am - mmihokovic_LGM
8395c72d4d218925c482b8806b8998c29ef54e27.png

Heya there space enthusiasts!

We're thrilled to announce that Starpoint Gemini 3, fourth sequel in the franchise will follow its predecessors and enter Early Access program as well!

This momentous event will happen on September 5th 2019 and we invite all of you to join us on this path. It's been both challenging and fun in the past and we're positive this time will be no different.

Starpoint Gemini 3 is something new and different, but at the same time, it also sticks to the very roots of the series.

Stay tuned and prepare to dive in Gemini (and beyond this time!) once again!

Start your engines!

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I have very high hopes to this game and i will buy it 5 sept. as soon as possible. Developers shows incredible talent in previous games and great feeling of space games. I hope it will be much deeper than Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Last edited:

Curratum

I actually had this wishlisted, but de-wishlisted it because it lacked a specific launch date even for EAccess. Now I'm wishlisting it back! :D

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will I get to change the appearance of my ship? I have a bit of a fetish for spaceships. I'm currently playing X3 Albion with the Star Wars mod and some of the ships are more attractive to me than Sofia Vergara. In fact, the only reason I'm gonna buy X4 in the future is becasue it'll have that mod - and I'm that attracted to spaceships.

So not to be offensive or anything - but the ship in your trailer really isn't my type at all. Will I get to...umm...make it more into something that's so sexy that I wouldn't hesitate to jump into its cockpit?. :oops:

Many thanks for your understanding.

LGM_Games

Little Green Men Games
Developer
I have very high hopes to this game and i will buy it 5 sept. as soon as possible. Developers shows incredible talent in previous games and great feeling os space games. I hope it will be much deeper than Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

We hope we'll justify those high hopes. :) Thank you for the support!

I actually had this wishlisted, but de-wishlisted it because it lacked a specific launch date even for EAccess. Now I'm wishlisting it back! :D

Thanks for wishlisting the game again! There will be more information about the game as we get closer September 5th. :)

Will I get to change the appearance of my ship?

We are going with a modular ship approach in this game so you will be able to change the parts as you seem fit, such as wings, engines, etc. Items will change both the appearance and stats of the ship so every time you change a part of the ship, it will look a bit different (or a bit more, depending on what you're changing and with which item).

We plan on releasing the mod kit at a bit later date so you'll have even more freedom in changing the appearance of the ship and, as with our previous games, we're sure there will be plenty of mods for ships, among other things. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/starpoint-gemini-3-gamescom-preview-484.html

Starpoint Gemini 3 Gamescom Preview
by Joost "Myrthos" Mans, 2019-08-31

banner-1522.jpg

Starpoint Gemini 3 is the fourth installment in the Starpoint Gemini series, which consists of Starpoint Gemini 1, 2 and the spin-off Starpoint Gemini Warlords. Starpoint Gemini 3 is an open world space adventure RPG and has more focus on the story than its predecessors. The developers, Little Green Men (LGM), hired Darco Macan, a writer who used to work for Marvel on Star Wars novels, especially for this. He has created the storyline with lots of alien cultures and places to explore.

In the game you play as captain Bold and over the course of the game you will expand your crew and enhance your ship by making use of various modules. For the most part the game has the same feature set as the previous titles, including the RPG elements that were also present in Starpoint Gemini Warlords. This time however they wanted to have you fly smaller starships, to provide a wider range of movement and the option to build your own ship by choosing various modules to add to that ship. The game starts with a basic intro ship, which is equipped with weapons and is intended to be used as part of the tutorial. Once you have progressed enough through the story line, you will steal your first modular ship from a very dangerous corporation. During the rest of the game you will be busy escaping from them, while you improve your ship, advance your personal story and the stories of the people who have joined you.

The game is chronologically placed after the events of the previous titles, but the story has been written in such a way that you do not need to have played these titles to know any of the lore behind it.

The previous titles took, for the most part, place in the Gemini universe, where you could also use a starpoint to travel to Sol. In Starpoint Gemini 3, there are several more universes to go to, each of them as large as any of the previous games is. The developers will also make the modding tools available, which are the same tools as the development team is using. This will allow players to create their own universe and stories.

When you advance in the game you advance both your main character and your ship. The ship has an AI companion, which serves as a co-pilot and helps you on your travels. By fighting battles, exploring the universe and trade resources, you can gain various materials, money and experience. The latter can be used to unlock skills and perks, which can help you in both exploration and combat. The many passive skills the game has will help with the tasks that the ships has, like repairs, but also in combat, like improving your skills with a certain weapon.

As you explore the universe you can salvage derelicts and get materials from them. All the items in the universe you can find are hand placed. Once you have collected the materials they can be processed into components, such as chips, antennas and other smaller items. You do need blueprints to be able to do that, which you can find while exploring the universe and by finishing quests. Once you've learned how to process materials, you can process them further into things like rockets and nano bots, which are far more expensive. The processing can take place in your own ship. However, you cannot process large items there, like wings for the ship or propulsion systems.

The ship can be equipped with all sort of weapons and as you have full control of how you build your ship, it most likely will be different from ships other players might have. The stats of the ship will change depending on the modules that have been added to the ship. You could create a ship that is very maneuverable or a ship that can take a lot of damage, or has a lot of fire power. You can also customize the way your ship looks. The choice is yours.

Another difference from the previous games is that you can now visit the planet's surface or dock your ship and visit the various locations in the space port and talk with the NPCs there, which are fully voiced. This gives the option to get new missions, but also advances the story. You do not have to follow the story though. You can roam freely through the universes and completely ignore the story, in which case you could spend something like 100 hours in the game. If you do follow the story it should provide at least 40 hours of gameplay. The narrative however, is very linear and has only one ending.

There are all sorts of environments to explore, like vulcanic and jungle regions, which have planets that fit the ambient and the lore of the aliens living there. There is a total of 3 other systems to explore next to the Gemini system, but the developers are considering to expand the game after release with more systems.

Combat, takes place in real-time, in 3rd person view or in 1st person from the cockpit of the ship. You move around freely in 3D to target your enemies and prevent getting hit too much, which with a ship that is maneuverable is easier than before as the previous games had capital ship combat, with large ships, in large scale space combat. The developers have learned however that people don' t really fly the ships as they were designed. Also people like to grow with the ship, where they start with a basic ship and enhance the ship throughout the game. This resulted in the implementation of the new ship as it is in Starpoint Gemini 3.

LGM is considering early access. If that happens the modding capabilities will not be released yet. From previous experience they learned that they had to make changes sometimes that would break existing mods, which did not make the modders and players happy. The early access should take place September 3rd.

Below is a gameplay trailer of the game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sounds terrible. Focus on story is bad, I bet it has terrible voice acting and even more terrible dialogue and story, aimed squarely at teenagers. Easier combat than before is the nail in the coffin for me though. Just another indie space game. Why even bother? Why would anyone look any further than Elite Dangerous? It has great graphics and is all about pew pew pew. To me the whole point of a series like this is to try something new with the gameplay, and having battles that are more tactical, as "capital ships" was the only reason I got interested in the previous game. Without that you are just one of a 1000 similar space games.

I feel bad for you guys because I can see bad sales have forced this to pander to the lowest common denominator. But it also means you are up against 1000 other space games. I think this will sell some copies based on the graphics, but mostly it will flop. You should have found a niche and stuck with it. Like the glorious Space Rangers.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
rating_retarded.png
retadred x 1
Vlajdermen

Thanks for the pic of your face Vaginaman. Don't be too sad at reading my criticism. They should know better than to try that "steamlining is good" rhetoric at the rpgcodex.

ArchAngel

Arcane
After looking at that video I have to somewhat agree with anvi , both models/animations and voice acting is kind of bad and detracts from the game. Even with a white male with subservient female robot, I would rather play Rebel Galaxy female one due to much higher production values there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Stupid unfunny childish garbage, like 1000 other games and kid TV shows. If only you could skip it all, but they make it so you are constantly having to watch this shit. Also if the gameplay was so good I could ignore all the kid shit dialogue, I would maybe put up with it. But the gameplay is kid shit too. Just a 3d bullet-hell game. Flying in circles shooting at a target box, pew pew pew. What a let down.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My only problem is that in regards to Captain Bold you are being told he is charismatic, instead of being shown.

This is a videogame. You can put him in situations where he proves his charisma. Or where he uses his charms to lessen his issues. --- Not the case here. Even as we're told he is charismatic, he's still being attacked.

It's not about what we're told, it's about what we're shown.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is a space game! This should be all about exciting battles and building an empire, not how you get to roleplay the charisma of the character. Damn, gaming is overrun by story fags now! I guess even the larger indie games are just the same as mainstream crap now. If I want a game that isn't dumb kid shit, I have to get something that is 2d and made by one guy. :/

Last edited:

cw8

Cipher
Nice to see there's in-cockpit view this time round. Just a question though, sorry if it has been asked in the previous page, but is the shop economy static or dynamic this time round?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Installing it now. I've been looking for a game that reminds me of Firefly, and this looks like it might do the trick.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Game is fine, it's one of reviews from Steam:
"
This is the first day of EA, so there's not a hell of a lot to see here, naturally. But what is there seems really neat so far. There's about 75 minutes of campaign available.
The voice acting isn't great and the writing is kind of spotty, but it's actually really amusing and funny for what it is.
You play as a space idiot named Jonathan Bold who gets into all sorts of idiot trouble due to being a giant idiot.
He is accompanied by his eternally annoyed ship AI, A.D.A.H., who looks down on him for being an idiot. The other characters all also look down on him for being an idiot. I keep saying that word. IDIIIIIOOOT.

It's a pretty standard space shooter, but it works well. You aim with your aim, lock onto enemies and shoot them.
Your ship can have two guns and two missile launchers at once that can be swapped out at any time. You can also land on certain planets and purchase new equipment.
Defeating enemies gives you experience that levels you up, which gives you skill points that can be used on skills that grant you better shield recharge and faster maneuvering and the like.

There's also a sandbox mode if you just want to free roam and mess around, which is cool. The lack of direction there will likely throw some people off, though,
because, as you'd expect, there's a ton of space to move around in and knowing where to go is important.
Overall, I'm having some fun with this and am looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. "

From my point own of view, Starpoint Gemini 3 along wih No Man's Sky are best space sims now, Elite Dangerous is too vast and boring as fuck, X4 Foundations could be great if not overpriced ,full of bugs and lack of tutorial and non-logic asspain gameplay plus lack of content, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw could be great but it's dumbed down and very flat .
In SG3 we have at least vast ship customization, fine gfx and sound, and vast gameplay - over 30gb of files speak for itself.
In addtion for very low price we get SG3 and SG2 both on Steam. SG2 is great game itself with vast array of fine mods. So for me im playing Sg3 and NmS.

SG3 for me is 9/10 for now as it is EA, but game rocks. And main character likes to drink its huge plus.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I played about half an hour and got a headache from the dogfighting. Refunded it. Didn't get to any of the RPG elements.

cw8

Cipher
i just watched the Let's Play video. They mentioned can't fly capital ships. Sadly that's a deal breaker from me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Did you guys not play Orcs Must Die? The main character was the main character in that game too. And about 1000 other games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
i just watched the Let's Play video. They mentioned can't fly capital ships. Sadly that's a deal breaker from me.
It is the only thing that made this series unique and interesting. With little pew pew dogfighting it is now like 1000 other games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently this is important enough to email me about: https://steamcommunity.com/games/977720/announcements/detail/3309508571670112602

Skillshot: Roadmap update 1
Mad skillz bruh!

Hello to you all again!

It is a perfect day to update the game with first announced roadmap update.

Following the loads of feedback we've received from our fans after the launch of Starpoint Gemini 3 into Early Access roughly a month ago, we've focused our attention on gameplay. Now introducing: SKILLSHOT UPDATE!

The Starpoint Gemini 3 combat system, lovingly (as well as sarcastically) called DAWGFIGHT SYSTEM, hits the next checkpoint. The latest update introduces the complete skill system, imagined not as a do-all-end-all mechanic that enables you to obliterate the entire universe with a single push of a button, but as the perfect blend between using special abilities, passive bonuses and dogfightging.

The skill system is here to extend the combat gameplay, not substitute it.

Skills are the crux of the latest content update, but there's plenty more to check out.
CHANGES
  • ADDED: skill system mechanics, both gameplay wise and VFX
  • ADDED: critical system failure (CSF) now applies to player in intended situations
  • ADDED: drydocks now have new ship modules available for purchase: wings, engines, hulls
  • ADDED: additional enemy ships to fight against
  • ADDED: various equipment items, including missiles countermeasures
  • ADDED: optimization to allow faster starchart loading
  • ADDED: various missile weapons, both guided, non-guided and torpedoes
  • ADDED: Steam cloud saves are now operational and work properly
  • ADDED: Steam trading cards are now implemented and work properly
  • ADDED: 3D sound
  • ADDED: various sounds including warnings and proximity alerts
  • ADDED: NavBuoy structures now have linked encounter events if attacked
  • ADDED: Space stations now have linked encounter events if attacked
  • ADDED: Ships on patrol paths now have linked encounter events if attacked
  • ADDED: Destructible container objects now have linked encounter events if attacked
  • ADDED: Anomalies can now appear in Gemini
  • ADDED: Asteroids now have linked encounter events if destroyed/mined
  • ADDED: Junkyard objects now have linked encounter events if destroyed/scavenged
  • ADDED: Player’s missiles can now miss the target, even when using guided projectile
  • ADDED: all campaign combat missions now have proper mission areas
  • ADDED: all asteroids now have correct explosions attached when destroyed
  • ADDED: visual shockwave on missile hit effects
  • ADDED: visual shockwave on ship exploding effects
  • ADDED: trails and particles on all wings ship parts in the game
  • ADDED: objective notifications on campaign mission on Extera
  • ADDED: Keyboard shortcuts for accessing starchart, inventory and skills panels
  • ADDED: Brazilian Portuguese translation to game
  • ADDED: various new movement sounds for player engines and cruise mode
  • ADDED: sliders in options menu now work properly in non 1K resolutions and ratios
  • ADDED: additional support for several more HOTAS devices
  • ADDED: it is now possible to avoid missiles, especially by using cut engines
  • UPDATED: The chance that NPC drops loot when destroyed is drastically lowered if the player can't be credited with the kill.
  • UPDATED: The entire loot drop system has been rebalanced
  • UPDATED: Energy cost of cannons is heavily increased
  • UPDATE: Rate of fire of cannons is increased
  • UPDATED: Damage of cannons is drastically increased
  • UPDATED: Damage of scatterguns is increased
  • UPDATED: Reduced the projectile count of some scatterguns
  • UPDATED: Player waypoint is now correctly attached to the starchart structure
  • UPDATED: Game menu has rearranged option hierarchy according to most frequent use
  • FIXED: an error in the Main menu background video
  • FIXED: after a cutscene, the camera reverts to the mode it previously had
  • FIXED: sector Pyros now has correctly placed Nav Buoys, NPC paths, structure hull levels, event scripts, ship and structure render distances
  • FIXED: sector Outerlands now has correctly placed Nav Buoys, NPC paths, structure hull levels, event scripts, ship and structure render distances
  • FIXED: sector Caterton now has correctly placed Nav Buoys, NPC paths, structure hull levels, event scripts, ship and structure render distances
  • FIXED: player cannot be attacked anymore while docked inside Pirate Harbor station
  • FIXED: player cannot be attacked anymore while docked inside Lunae station
  • FIXED: while using photo mode and orbit camera, weapons and camera view works properly now
  • FIXED: when undocking or respawning, the camera will appear in the correct position
  • FIXED: during camera shake effect, HUD elements don't follow the same pattern
  • FIXED: Avenger shotgun weapon doesn't exceed buffer limit anymore and CTD is eliminated
  • FIXED: when the game is paused, particles are still drawn normally
  • FIXED: missiles now explode as intended when reaching their destination
  • FIXED: different number of heavy and light weapons installed on wings don't cause a crash anymore
  • FIXED: HUD hint panel now shuts down properly
  • FIXED: when game is running in the background, mouse pointer performs normally
  • FIXED: waypoint for Liberland carrier in campaign mission now isn't hidden behind planet anymore
  • FIXED: waypoints don't hang on starchart when you jump back and forth using Starpoint or Tgate
  • FIXED: Magellan refinery now has correct collision sphere
  • FIXED: Pyros bartender now has correct facial animations when accepting all quests
  • FIXED: in freeroam player set starchart marker is properly removed after reload
  • FIXED: starchart doesn't crash anymore when reloading identical save game a few times
  • FIXED: removed exploit where equipment cooldown was evaded by un-equipping the item
  • TWEAKED: options menu works more smoothly and is more user friendly
  • TWEAKED: various balancing and AI related issues
  • TWEAKED: military patrol paths are reworked and improved in all sectors
These are the most important changes and additions. We hope the list is sufficient for this festive occasion we call Roadmap Update 1. The long journey through Early Access is now one milestone closer to completion, but there’s still massive work ahead of us! Some of you will also already recognize the improvements to some game elements you've specifically mentioned in your comments and feedback.

Along all of this, we've also tweaked, improved and polished many more details in the previously implemented parts of the game, mostly based on what you good people reported. Feel free to give it a go and see what else has been improved.

In the end, let us reiterate that this update is the first of a dozen major Early Access planned updates, and we also fully expect to throw in a number of unplanned updates along the way. The number of these will, in part, depend on what you report to us, and what ideas you throw at us on Steam forums

Have a nice weekend ahead, and don't hesitate to try out all the goodies we're prepared for you! In space no one can hear your enemy scream!

Cheers!
LGM Games team

ArchAngel

Arcane
There only one space shooter/rpg I am waiting for: Everspace 2. It is now on KS as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom