Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I shat myself while viewing that screenshot, and wiped up with the cover inserts of a Dead Space DVD box.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hey Pyke, I don't know if these are trade secrets or something, but I'm curious... I think I remember from one of your videos you use Max right? What render engine do you use? And do you do a lot of photoshopping on the renders? Really like your style and colors and particularly the overblown lights.

P.S. For some criticism: There are cables going through the standing soda machine and the blood splatters seem to be added in photoshop because they don't always follow the geometry exactly. :rpgcodex:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey Feel - all completely valid points! The vending machine is in interactable object - there is a layer missing for those cables! Thanks for noticing it...after close to 170 of these they tend to blur together!

I use 3DSMax for all the modelling, Vray for lighting, and After Effects for compositing work. There is some Photoshop work, but in general the scenes have to be saved as non destructive layers so that I can add in the animated areas and such.
I dont like to do too much photoshop because it really makes changes difficult...every time I adjust something I would have to redo the PS file - whereas if I use a compositor like AE I can just swap out the PNG and it updates everything. Infact, I usually render straight from AE to the game engine (which reads from external files instead of having to re-insert them into the engine like AGS) - so I can see changes immediately.

Then If I need to make a change, I render it in MAX, it overwrites the file in AE, and then outputs to the engine. Once the base render is done (anything from 5 minutes to 5 hours) it takes around a minute to get the changes into the engine and walking around it.

Its a VERY fluid system that allows me to make changes and get things in engine extremely quickly.

mettalhed

Educated
Dude, i love your artwork. Its so fucking gorgeous. 2D iso for the win. Can't wait to play Stasis.

Otherwise, there is the 1KL project which I want to explore (heavily mirroring FALLOUT in setting and gameplay), and another which we have code named 'Brothers' which is more along the lines of an open world Adventure Game (similar to Blade Runners style of characters moving around and living while the game continues). There is another one called 'Federation' which is a sort of 'Mass Effect meets Firefly' type of story (ensemble cast, multiple characters, big scifi world, spaceships and space stations etc). All of these would still be a 2D Isometric style of graphics.

OH GOD YES! On all three. Keep talking dirty to me bro.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The cutscenes in this are pretty revolutionary. Using the same assets as the 2D stills ... awesome!

My mind was like "woah" when the tram view shifted.

Is it just me or are the backgrounds a bit blurry at 1080p? like they're being viewed below source res or something

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey Sensuki,

I got the idea from the Abe series (the original 2D ones)...their transitions are amazing!

I've completely redone the entire control interface. Its much more responsive, and more 'fluid' to control the game. Cant wait for you guys to see how it all works!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We can't wait for the alpha game or full release !! ;D

You and me both man. :D
Nic and I were just talking today about how we are going to handle the alpha/beta/gold. Its going to be a challenge!

In case you guys wanted to know, I've almost completed all of the graphics for the game. We extended one of the chapters slightly, so I have a few more rooms to complete...but the finish line (for art assets at least) is within spitting distance!

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sounds like pure bliss! Been looking forward to this since you launched the kickstarter, unfortunately I didn't have money to back. Anxiously awaiting the final release, it's gonna be a blast to play

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I asked Pyke on twitter to do an isometric environment in the Bloodborne universe (gothic/victorian style). Would be an awesome setting for a crpg or adventure game.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Holy shit ! All my fav games are having updates now :D!

Amazing update.. very very insightful video from your workspace

Chris... I hate repeating myself, but YOU.ARE.AWESOME ;)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks guys.

Here some of the screens from that update!

141abd4f4f19bee658365b76bf47fcf3_large.jpg

4068294d01ea0432e01012b0f0aabba8_large.jpg

c47b9868c1a092fe8475e4333f648f29_large.gif

I have a LOT more figurines in my lounge. I have a large SPAWN collection (the big 12 inch ones), Aliens (the big boy), the big 18 inch xenomorph, a few Predator ones, and a lone Gordon Freeman that I really want to make a diorama of!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom