Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, May 25, 2021.

?

Will you buy one?

1. Yes, take my jew scheckles!

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

49 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Kingcomrade

29 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Biscotti Arbiter Patron

Biscotti
    Unless your PC is 6+ years old this thing won't be an upgrade, come on now. It was struggling to maintain 60FPS in Doom Eternal with everything turned down to medium and running at 800p in LTT's video, and that game is known to be one of the few examples of an actually optimized modern AAA game.
    Now imagine trying to run demanding games at 1080p, let alone 2K or 4K.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Yeah I don't quite get that perspective. Steam Deck is awesome, and powerful as fuck, for a HANDHELD.

I guess what they mean is that some people with ancient PCs might simply forgo upgrading them, get Steam Deck instead and play on that, accepting that it will not run latest games in higher than 800p res.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    :hmmm:
    We live in a simulation.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I think it goes without saying that the Deck is not meant to be used to stream AAA games to a TV at higher resolutions...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. randir14 Augur

randir14
    Valve made a commercial for it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Lmao, i wanna see someone load up Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come on that thing and watch it melt in their hands.

However, i'm curious to see how that stream shit works.

^ Top  
  7. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    This thing is definitely targetted at indie titles/emulators like the Switch as it will soon be obsolete to run AAA shit when PS5 and XBOX Series X only games start being released, not that you lose much frankly, seems Valve is targetting the Switch market of the people who want to play on lazy mode. Once they release the next upgraded version with more storage (64 gb is ridiculous), I'm sure they wont drop the support for it ( like they always do) and the price drop a little, I might buy it. Only real use for it is that it is more convenient to use when on lazy mode than a laptop, it is decent for when you wish to play a strategy game relaxed with some nice coffe and dont bother to be sit in front of your main rig.

About using it on the street, nah, you need to have a way too low attention spam to be playing games on the street when you might be talking to people or apreciating Nature in moments of leasure. Seeing people playing video games on the bus or street annoys me somehow, it is like watching them taking a dump in public or something. Gaming is a private sacred moment like pissing or taking a dump, it requires an etiquette.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I am fairly confident both these games will run better on Deck than they do on lastgen consoles. 4 core 8 thread Zen 2 runs circles around those jaguars. And its GPU should be enough too for 800p on low preset (perhaps with textures on high) for 30fps.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I'll probably get this for combo practice while on the train.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    Judging from how streaming works on my GPD Win 1 it should work perfectly fine. I tried it a few days ago, i opened Steam on my main PC, opened Steam on my GPD Win and i could launch any game from my main PC and have it streamed on the GPD Win. There was some very tiny lag but that is unavoidable considering it has to go through wifi, etc.

Though TBH i'm not sure how practical this is in general considering it hogs the PC. Might work from distance if you keep the PC open at home and go to work or a cafe or wherever but i'd guess the input lag will increase and you'll be dependent on wifi availability.

Valve so far hasn't dropped support for their hardware, AFAIK they still release updates even for Steam Link despite being out of sale for years now. And TBH this is really just a PC running Linux, even if Valve drops support for it, you can just install another Linux distribution and put Steam or whatever on it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Calthaer Educated Patron

Calthaer
    Strap Yourselves In
    The chances of me picking this up are very slim, as I am a very late adopter these days. Too many games unplayed or unfinished...my Backloggery has GBA games I haven't quite completed yet.

What would get me off the fence is in-person co-op gaming with this thing. Probably would not be some AAA FPS but it could be a platformer or Among Us or whatever. I am not into those "AAA" games, though...the soulless clickfests that EA and Activision / Blizzard and whoever shovel out these days. I'd use my Steam Deck for Aquaria, FEZ, Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, Loop Hero, Death Road to Canada...you name it, the indie gems. I'm sure the Steam Deck would run those just fine. Maybe in the next few years.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/th...eam-deck-like-the-steam-controller-says-valve

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The full interview with Mr. Coomer: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/th...gs-hardware-software-and-knowing-when-to-stop

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Artyoan Savant

Artyoan
    I will probably not purchase it. But if it leads to a revised Steam Controller version 2.0, I will be a happy man. That is one of the most underrated devices I've ever bought.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://dev.epicgames.com/docs/serv.../AntiCheat/index.html#linuxwine/protonsupport

Looks like #2 it is. When you run EAC games in Wine/Proton, it's going to use the Linux port of EAC.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis

• incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ferratilis Erudite

ferratilis
  20. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

Fuck CDPR.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    I liked gameboys when I was a child. handhelds hold zero interest to me now as a grown ass adult. anyone else feel the same? Maybe it helps that I don't engage with mobile gaming...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Same, but I guess it has more to do with growing up and having bullshit grown-up responsibilities. When I do get time to myself and want to play some games I would rather just sit on my PC, since my PC is multipurpose and can do everything there. If I could (or wanted) to game during the day I would use some sort of mobile device.

^ Top  
  23. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Doesn't this mean it's getting a native linux port? (Really, native Linux support for games is the biggest potential win from SteamDeck I can see in general.)

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    It's probably just going to run on Proton.

^ Top  
  25. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    As grown ass adult I love them, because they allow me to game without sitting somewhere specific and instead I can sit by my kids even if they dont need me right now but want me near.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.