Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Not paying for any mod, I get ripped off by publishers enough already thank you very much.

Mer1

Novice
Here we go:
Starting now with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the Workshop is also a great place for community content creators to earn money by selling their greatest works.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...ion=readytouseitems&requiredflags[]=paiditems

Now, what happens when this gets extended to Shadowrun, Divinity and other RPGs with campaign creation tools

Why, modders will of course make amazing campaigns with tons of CnC and stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damnit, I only hope this doesn't mean Thief 2X or the Thief fan missions will go behind a paywall. I never got a chance to play either!!!

I don't think big publishers are very interested in enabling Steam Workshop support for 15 year old games.

Don Peste

Arcane
Coming next week: Paid mods trading cards! Exclusive Early Access trading cards! Also a bucket of bullshit with every transaction!

Drax

Arcane
I see Irenaeus's alt already gave his position:

C21Dnkt.jpg

Chamezero

Modder drama is going to multiply exponentially. If you thought that hipsters were bad wait to see the real aspergy drama queen power of modders using the Steam platform to sell their shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
So who is going to start the next boycott steam movement? Maybe the Codex can take initiative?

hiver

Good news.

Modding will improve and there will be more better mods.
Besides that, they offer nice options about it to the modders themselves, one being "pay what you want".

Suggested this same thing some time ago on Larian forums, the screaming of the lambs was like music. A very, very annoying screeching over chalkboard with teeth kind of music.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you kidding me? It's only a matter of time before they start paying Steam curators for referrals. :takemyjewgold:

Dexter

Arcane
omSfCLX.jpg

One of the main things you could tell people that PC gaming had over the console plebeians was always Modding.

Now the future of Modding is... - imagine clicking on a "Buy Horse Armor" button again and again — forever.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Good news.

Modding will improve and there will be more better mods.
Besides that, they offer nice options about it to the modders themselves, one being "pay what you want".

Modding doesn't need to improve. There are thousands of high quality mods out there that far surpass AAA garbage. Yes there is a ton of trash too, but you can just ignore all that.
Almost all of my gaming in the past five or so years has involved mods, from small tweaks to large scale new games made using existing assets as a base. If you think modding needs to improve you're not playing the right mods.

hiver

Free, Paid, or Pay What You Want
With over 24,000 free mods available for Skyrim in the Steam Workshop, there will always be lots to do and explore for free. Now you can also find mods with a specified price, or mods where you can choose how much you wish to support the creators. The price is up to the mod creators.

Try any mod, Risk Free
When shopping for anything, it's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase. View the full refund policy -.

There are thousands of high quality mods out there that far surpass AAA garbage.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damnit, I only hope this doesn't mean Thief 2X or the Thief fan missions will go behind a paywall. I never got a chance to play either!!!

I don't think big publishers are very interested in enabling Steam Workshop support for 15 year old games.

That's what people said about old games :P

Coming up next, paid Thief missions, only on GOG !

:troll:

I was always baffled how so many people think of Valve as some kind of saviour, something more than a company that just want to make money and have profits. The more they grow, the more they are getting greedy and just want to squeeze users from their money. I really don't care, if there will be necessity, there will be mods warez sites. Life doesn't like vaccum, and some people just don't like being ripped off. 25 % for all the hard work is laughable. If Valve were the saviours it would be more like 50/50 between the creators and modders. A little "transcation cost" would suffice for Valve.

It will be most likely something like Spellcaster is forecasting, a flood of shitty cosmetic mods which will be flooding in the upcoming weeks the whole system. And there are always idiots who will go for it.

Sad times, considering how much free stuff has been made for both Half Life's.

If only Team Gizka still worked on their mod...

Ah, the possibilites.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

OK, "thousands" was beyond hyperbole but I don't see myself hitting a dead-end of quality mods to find any time soon that don't make me want to smash something, unlike with AAA games.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365237576574

The Steam Workshop has always been a great place for discovering community-made mods, maps, and items for a variety of games. Starting now with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the Workshop is also a great place for community content creators to earn money by selling their greatest works.

We think this is a great opportunity to help support the incredible creative work being done by mod makers in the Steam Workshop and to encourage more top-quality work. This new feature allows mod authors to choose whether to list their items for a fixed price, for pay-what-you-want, or to make their item available for free. As a customer and fan of Skyrim, you're able to explore both paid and free mods, quests, and items.

The whole feature is best explained in the full press announcement and on the detailed announcement page and FAQ here: http://www.steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Along with these new options available to mod-creators, we've added a few features to support the experience and make everything as easy as possible:

Free, Paid, or Pay What You Want
With over 24,000 free mods available for Skyrim in the Steam Workshop, there will always be lots to do and explore for free. Now you can also find mods with a specified price, or mods where you can choose how much you wish to support the creators. The price is up to the mod creators.

Try any mod, Risk Free
When shopping for anything, it's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase. View the full refund policy here.

Play Skyrim For Free This Weekend
If you're new to Skyrim and haven't yet tried it out, now is your chance. Available now through April 26th, Skyrim is free to play. Just visit the Skyrim store page and click the 'play' button to download and start playing. If you decide you want to keep the game, it's also on sale for 75% off regular price!

Explore New Content
To prepare for this announcement, we've asked a few community mod makers to prepare some content for release. Browse Paid Skyrim Mods

Calling Creators!
Whether you're just getting started or are already a professional artist or developer, now you can make money from your creations in the Steam Workshop.

Starting with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you can make new cosmetic items, custom skins, fancy houses, epic quests, entire new cities, or just a new hat for Lydia. Once you've made your creation, you can easily set a price and earn a portion of each sale made through the Steam Workshop.

Plus, many more of your favorite Workshop games will support paid content in the coming weeks. Check out the full announcement and FAQ for more details.

What can you pay for with this wonderful new service, you ask? How about adding some more snow or something to Skyrim for only £3.50? How about a single DOTA 2 sword model? If you're indecisive, pay three times the price of the game for a starter pack of ALL the currently available paid mods!

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to spend £300 next time I try to mod a Bethesda game into a moderately playable state!! :D

Last edited:

hiver

I wouldnt know, i dont play such games anyway.

Im pretty sure there will be communities that will still do their mods for free, and ofcourse, if a mod doesnt sell... it wont be charged for long.
Plus there is always the other way, etc, etc.

It might help some modding teams or individuals to stick out creating standalones and total conversions and stuff like that which is always rare. And i would rather spend a few bucks on such mods for cRPGs then waste hundreds on fucking aaa games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, when is Bruticis going to start handing out mod steam codes? It's even more humiliating than begging for indie trash, now they can beg for a cheat sword in skyrim!

Bruticis

So, when is Bruticis going to start handing out mod steam codes? It's even more humiliating than begging for indie trash, now they can beg for a cheat sword in skyrim!
:bro:
You kid but they just made mods tradeable and they can be stored in your inventory. See this random faggots inventory for example:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/DoctorMcKay/inventory#72850_2_510373700959223669
These are exciting times! LTT: 1 Uber Lightning Flame Stike PST w/Offers
Double Edit: The most popular paid mod has already sold 80 copies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom