Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Humble Mod Bundles. Make it happen

Drowed

Arcane
To be fair, most of the time, the content provided by modders is way better than what is released by the company itself (especially in the case of Bethesda). There MODs that, in fact, I would pay if they were an official expansion. (I try donate in some cases, when there's a option to do it.) In principle, I don't see this as something "that bad", someone deserves something for his work, even if it is a work made up on top of an existing game.

That said:

1) The modder will be left with only 25% of the amount charged. WHAT THE FUCK, this is a joke.
2) I find it hard that the STEAM would be able to control the content provided by all modders, and as such, many people will upload MODs made by other people (something that already happened, it seems), or make slight modifications before uploading it. How will they solve this?
3) Because of what was said in (1), many modders will feel compelled to increase the price in their MODs. The result? If you are one of those people who put 100+ MODs in a game, you would have to pay more for it than for the game itself if they all were paid. Lolz.
4) The number of stupid mods, reskin or with small changes, will increase exponentially because some retarded modders will try making money from other retarded people who would pay for things like that. Horse (dragon?) armor for $5 or more? Here we go!

Well, at least you have the option to filter MODs by "free".

Last edited:

The Anti-Santa

Learned
I am shocked and appalled to discover the Gabe Newell is a greedy, fat fuck.

I recall when Garry's Mod went commercial. I feared other mods might do the same. All it took is for Steam Workshop to herd modders into an 'offical' marketplace, then offer them the 'option' of charging for mods. Now in the near future, no modder will even think of doing anything for free.

It also seems like an incentive for developers to outsource their development to modders and still make money off it without paying professional developer's wages. Offer a bare bone's game. Then modders will 'fix' it.

Bravo Valve, Bravo.

:flamesaw:

Riskbreaker

Valve found yet another way to get some sweet, sweet free moniez.
1) The modder will be left with only 25% of the amount charged. WHAT THE FUCK, this is a joke.
Aye, this is the weirdest part, even if you consider that modder is provided with base game's engine and resources free of charge.

bonescraper

Good news.

Modding will improve and there will be more better mods.
Yeah now there will be no distinction between mods and DLC. More DLC for everyone!

Fuck me if i'm going to buy any mod, ever. Over my dead fucking body.

Dexter

Arcane
omSfCLX.jpg

One of the main things you could tell people that PC gaming had over the console plebeians was always Modding and less fleecing by greedy publishers.

But Valve itself has become greedy and fat over the past few years, first with their "Team Fortress 2" items, then with their community market and badges and cards, they even regionally restricted Sales not too long ago and now this.

Now the future of Modding is... - imagine clicking on a "Buy Horse Armor" button again and again — forever.

This is likely not the end of it either because this is a progressing concept. They aren't really making games anymore but thinking of new ways to fleece their already existing customers as middle-men and screwing the PC gaming ecosystem over in the process. I really hope an alternative like GoG Galaxy or something comes along and takes a lot of market share away, so they might have to think twice about what they are doing.

Riskbreaker

It will be most likely something like Spellcaster is forecasting, a flood of shitty cosmetic mods which will be flooding in the upcoming weeks the whole system. And there are always idiots who will go for it.
Yeah, I really want to believe that this will encourage modders or teams of modders to go for ambitious, large scale projects. More quality add-ons, total conversions, large gameplay overhauls and whatnot. What this will do, however, is encourage people to produce even more minimum effort, bottom tier stuff.

Hey guise wanna see something kool?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429097363&searchtext=

A sword for $3,50, but if you want you can have an entire mod bundle for the cheap sum of roughly 30 dollars!
:negative:

Last edited by a moderator:

hivemind

lmao
I wonder what kind of a person is actually stupid enough to charge money for their shitty skyrim mods and if there is anyone who would ever consider paying for mods

Bruticis

lmao
I wonder what kind of a person is actually stupid enough to charge money for their shitty skyrim mods and if there is anyone who would ever consider paying for mods
Top Skyrim mod has now sold 129 times since this went live a few hours ago.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
2) I find it hard that the STEAM would be able to control the content provided by all modders, and as such, many people will upload MODs made by other people (something that already happened, it seems), or make slight modifications before uploading it. How will they solve this?.

I guess, the same way youtube monitors its content: standard DMCA takedown procedure. Someone files a complaint against your mod, your mod gets taken down unless you prove that you didn't copy his stuff.

I'm more concerned about how much money Bethesda can make from this.

Bruticis

Do people seriously use these shitty user created content mods? Apart from Ed123 shitting up my steam feed with rape mods and retarded quest content, who exactly is using this stuff?

sser

Arcane
Developer
That model is not all that different from Amazon's book distribution. Though with Amazon I get 70% for anything over $2.99.

I'm not sure if I have a huge issue with this or not. Paying modders might actually end up giving us more good shit, or it might lead to a deluge of horrible. It could also force some companies to let their games be moddable again? Who knows. I'm assuming you can still put free mods on your games, yeah? Because removing that would actually be an issue with me.

hiver

who the fuck would buy a sword here?

do you need that shit? no?

so whats the problem?

pippin

25% is almost 100% more than other creators from other industries receive for their works, and they do 100% original content most of the times.
This could actually help to prevent the abandon of interesting projects and fight decline, provided interesting stuff is made.
We will also face thousands of hats and sjw bullcrap, but that's to be expected. However, I must ask: why do you hate free markets, codex?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When I look at NWN modding scene I spent countless hours playing fan made modules and some of them would have been worth paying for. If a modder wants to charge money for his mod its his right, I cant really argue with that but I still can be disappointed and refuse to pay. Some people need to understand that modding actually prolongs shelf life of a game, I bet Skyrim still sells mostly due combination of modding and word of mouth, but you wonder how forcing to pay for mods influence this. Also Skyrim is not NWN, if you mod the game you dont buy one long campaign but large number of different mods, I doubt anyone would play Skyrim with only Wet and Cold.

Honestly I never imagined a day will come when Ill be forced to pirate mods.

Then again I would actually pay money if someone modded my Skyrim with 150 mods to run without a hitch, since I would rather part with few bucks then a week of my life.

Dexter

Arcane
2) I find it hard that the STEAM would be able to control the content provided by all modders, and as such, many people will upload MODs made by other people (something that already happened, it seems), or make slight modifications before uploading it. How will they solve this?.

I guess, the same way youtube monitors its content: standard DMCA takedown procedure. Someone files a complaint against your mod, your mod gets taken down unless you prove that you didn't copy his stuff.

I'm more concerned about how much money Bethesda can make from this.
They essentially want to turn Modding into effortless and free "DLC".

I bet in 2-3 years when they have made enough people buy into it, companies like ZeniMax or similar will start DMCAing and sueing sites like Nexus and consider it as Copyright Infringement/Piracy that they allow people to download "free Mods" and they get no cut off of it.

Similar to how Nintendo proceeded with YouTube videos after they recognized that there might be a market for them to extract some money. This will be an absolute Nightmare in the long run.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
who the fuck would buy a sword here?

do you need that shit? no?

so whats the problem?

Are you retarded?

If this becomes commonplace it will change modding forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom