Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

you people never listen to me. vanilla is crap. you need some serious mods, between alphamod, ethics and civics classic, and some more assorted traits, civics and origins mods, you can have empires which play wildly differently.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can mods even help when the base of the game is so crap? Every rework they did only made things worse.

start with the two i mentioned, maybe add their essentials too (alphamod has some, like "neutral zone" or "homeworld ethics"), and let me know.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
From the little I've seen, those mods just add stuff. Which is fine for sure, but the game's main problems are in the core mechanics. It needs a complete overhaul, and I'm not sure there's a mod for that.

thesecret1

Arcane
What are some mods that make the game more fun? All the ones I knew are no longer being updated. I'm especially interested in something that makes the AI less retarded and more capable of putting up a fight

Dayyālu

Arcane
It needs a complete overhaul, and I'm not sure there's a mod for that.

I don't know if ever a complete overhaul can save Stellaris if we want it to be a "real" 4x.

Let me sperg a little: I'm now playing Stellaris in MP with some pals and it's the best game ever to play with friends while talking about stuff. It's the most graphic-heavy party game I've ever played. I'd be bored to death if I didn't have people to play with, and most of the time is larping and bullshitting. You don't need brainpower to play Stellaris.

As a 4x game it's downright puzzling. It feels like it's developed by people that don't have the foggiest idea how a 4x is supposed to work, and all the DLCs add merely ... flavour and busywork, and of course endless *descriptions* that Paradox had to put into the game because everything is a boring number calculator. Why the fuck Stellaris has a billion events an' stuff to find? Because the game is boring as mud and you need to reward players with CK2esque funny events to keep even basic attention up. Development and colonization is a travesty gated by Influence and starlanes (because Paradox can't develop a working AI so the entire system is built to let the AI fake empire-building), combat is embarrassing, research is boring, exploration and random events are vignettes.... everything added in the DLCs that looks "cool" is rapidly revealed as nothing but flavour and % changes, and everything plays roughly the same.

What puzzles me, it's the success. Do people truly ignore the fuckhuge variety of space 4x that do everything better than Stellaris? Even lite options like Sword of the Stars 1 completely obliterate it in variety and gameplay , and let's not talk serious (or retrogaming) opposition.

Has Paradox managed to brainfog everyone?

Vatnik Wumao
Because the game is boring as mud and you need to reward players with CK2esque funny events to keep even basic attention up.
And that only helps with the early exploration phase. Late game is still boring as fuck, even with the apocalyptic events which they've added.

What puzzles me, it's the success.
larper power.
stellaris is the only modern 4x which truly lets you create your own race from the ground up and larp to your heart's content. if you throw mods into the mix, the degree of customization is unbelievable.
also planetary bombardments and ethnic cleansings.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What puzzles me, it's the success.
larper power.
stellaris is the only modern 4x which truly lets you create your own race from the ground up and larp to your heart's content. if you throw mods into the mix, the degree of customization is unbelievable.
also planetary bombardments and ethnic cleansings.

Larp is the main answer. No other game lets you larp as an actual evil empire. One that actively genocides undesirables.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Larp is the main answer. No other game lets you larp as an actual evil empire. One that actively genocides undesirables.
I see you haven't played Master of Orion 2, or any of all the other 4x games that allow you to bomb planets until nothing alive remains on the surface.

Vatnik Wumao
I see you haven't played Master of Orion 2, or any of all the other 4x games that allow you to bomb planets until nothing alive remains on the surface.
Stellaris is much more overt and detailed about it (e.g. having alien processing factories to serve as food or being able to biologically engineer slave races suitable for particular jobs).

in stellaris i can bombard paradise planets until no living thing can exist on them anymore, perhaps raid them and kidnap people, or i can conquer them and make all its inhabitants slaves, maybe turn them into cattle instead, or have them exterminated and processed into soylent green.
nigga please, you picked the wrongest example.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Oh, please, spare me the nitpicking. Yes, Stellaris is a more detailed atrocity simulator. But it's far from the only game that "lets you larp as an actual evil empire. One that actively genocides undesirables." In fact, I challenge you to name space 4x games that do NOT let you genocide undesirables. Does a single one even exit?

Dayyālu

Arcane

Larper power explains it: but again, it's all so clumsily done. Let's keep Sword of the Stars 1 as an example: the Zuul, a race of evil marsupials, entirely works on slavery and stripmining planets and its economy is built on looting planets with specialized ships. Ah, everyone in the game gets genociding. Nuclear bombing. Bio bombing. USING MASS DRIVERS.

Have I told you that during the fully simulated tactical battles in SoTS1 your orbital bombardment ships are under your direct control and the UI has a fuckhuge button to let you fire when you want the death cannon? And it's a "light" 4x, with pre-done races and limited strategic overlay.

Stellaris has some very nice %s tho.

I'm not saying that Stellaris theoretically does not allow such stuff, but it's all boring % and all in your brain, with almost no meaningful gameplay impact (you don't have to get your slaver ships on planet and organize the raids!). it's pushing a button and the usual PARADOX PERCENTAGES change a bit.

It's like no one realizes there's a billion 4x that let you do the same. Just better and without PARADOX MARKETING POWER. Maybe it's merely that, marketing (people see Paradox and believe they know what they are doing).

Oh, please, spare me the nitpicking. Yes, Stellaris is a more detailed atrocity simulator. But it's far from the only game that "lets you larp as an actual evil empire. One that actively genocides undesirables." In fact, I challenge you to name space 4x games that do NOT let you genocide undesirables. Does a single one even exit?
endless space. both of them. here's two then, not just one. you failed again, this time doubly. wow.

thesecret1

Arcane

Larper power explains it: but again, it's all so clumsily done. Let's keep Sword of the Stars 1 as an example: the Zuul, a race of evil marsupials, entirely works on slavery and stripmining planets and its economy is built on looting planets with specialized ships. Ah, everyone in the game gets genociding. Nuclear bombing. Bio bombing. USING MASS DRIVERS.

Have I told you that during the fully simulated tactical battles in SoTS1 your orbital bombardment ships are under your direct control and the UI has a fuckhuge button to let you fire when you want the death cannon? And it's a "light" 4x, with pre-done races and limited strategic overlay.

Stellaris has some very nice %s tho.

I'm not saying that Stellaris theoretically does not allow such stuff, but it's all boring % and all in your brain, with almost no meaningful gameplay impact (you don't have to get your slaver ships on planet and organize the raids!). it's pushing a button and the usual PARADOX PERCENTAGES change a bit.

It's like no one realizes there's a billion 4x that let you do the same. Just better and without PARADOX MARKETING POWER. Maybe it's merely that, marketing (people see Paradox and believe they know what they are doing).
I don't think you understand just how LARP-driven stellaris is. LARPing is literally the only appeal it has, and it is the only thing that the developers focus on. Gameplay and such are secondary. You pick the ethics you want and then get appropriately flavoured interactions with everyone, everywhere. You constantly get events that serve as something interesting to read and perhaps choose a flavour-appropriate decision. You get a wide array of policies to enact that contain next to no gameplay benefit, yet give you a lot to LARP about (really, who really NEEDS soylent green? Having a surplus of food is so easy you never really have to convert aliens to food, but you do it anyway because it's fun).

This is the Paradox formula, to be honest. Take CK2 for example: all the mechanics are simple and conquering the game world is child's play – the gameplay is trash by any and all accounts. Yet people still love it because it lets them LARP.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
endless space. both of them. here's two then, not just one. you failed again, this time doubly. wow.
You can kill pops in ES. Enslave, throw into blender to use their dna, it's just not as easy and always available as in other games. Didn't it also have planetary destruction before Stellaris?

only in a very very abstract way, as "spend 1 turn and pay 1 pop to earn 100 soldiers" which of course doesn't care for which pop you sacrifice, it's not like "fucking die already you xeno scum!".
only 1 race enslaves, and it's almost only a matter of a tag. actually, it's even pretty much against its own lore.
only 1 race blenders, and it's mostly a matter of moving a tag. actualy, it's heavily against its own lore.
and no, only one of the latest es2 expansions introduced planet killing and it's so deep into the tech tree by the time you build (let alone use) one of those the game has long finished.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
only in a very very abstract way, as "spend 1 turn and pay 1 pop to earn 100 soldiers" which of course doesn't care for which pop you sacrifice, it's not like "fucking die already you xeno scum!".
only 1 race enslaves, and it's almost only a matter of a tag. actually, it's even pretty much against its own lore.
only 1 race blenders, and it's mostly a matter of moving a tag. actualy, it's heavily against its own lore.
and no, only one of the latest es2 expansions introduced planet killing and it's so deep into the tech tree by the time you build (let alone use) one of those the game has long finished.
I'm not talking about the forced draft. I'm talking about enslaving and slowly draining planets of life and resource, outright eating pops, throwing them into blender, switching into your own, abducting pops to feed the lifeforce of your own or even a race that only accepts their own pops and outright deletes the others. Yes, it's available to some races, because unique races are like no1 shtick of the series and it's the same in every other strategy game - unless you micro every race when generating the map, you'll get a share of flower sniffing hippies. Still you have these options, also when creating your custom race.

I'm not sure what you mean about "a very very abstract way", it's a 4X game. Still, you get to see art of pops being abused, terrorized and fed upon which is way more explicit than anything you'll see in Stellaris.

Finally, you have said "both of them", ES1 allowed genociding planets from the orbit same as, for example, MoO2.

thesecret1

Arcane
I think the first issue is that Stellaris' launch was frankly a mess. Game had to be overhauled like thrice, and even the over-hauled areas still feel they lack a lot.
It was a mess, but also charming in its own way. Consider the asymetry they tried to go through with the different FTL methods – you could see them being ambitious, at least, rather than trying to rehash something for the n-th time. Sadly, they weren't able to actually pull it off, and really, the entire development process of Stellaris speaks volumes about Paradox itself.

First of all, the constant, ever present performance issues. This means they either have very few experienced programmers, or that they have unreasonable deadlines. Seeing as how I can't imagine Stellaris being under extreme deadlines years after the launch, I suspect it's the first, but then again, maybe they only left some skeleton crew to chug out DLCs and don't give them time to go over and fix old code. In any case, it's a management failure. Paradox isn't so poor that it couldn't afford enough experienced manpower, so this falls squarely on their heads.

Second, their designers are bad. They are just bad. You do not need to overhaul the whole game several times unless your designers are shit. The % based mini modifiers are probably also a result of that, though it could also be a result of little time and/or resources (which would again fall on management) since it's very easy to tack on a small feature that just alters a couple numbers – basically the only thing you need is the GUI. What I think happened is that the designers were overly ambitious at the beginning, only to be either reigned in or replaced afterwards, their only job being fixing the game up and occassionally throwing in a new DLC. You can see it in the way that there weren't any really "big" things in any of the DLCs, mostly just polish or small features for things that were already there since launch, or some low effort % shit like the precursor artefacts and the like (and that was one of the "bigger" features they added).

Lastly, I believe Stellaris is on life support at this point, probably really only having some skeleton crew to address any major fires while pushing out a small DLC here and there, which may lead to a negative feedback loop of sorts. They don't get good crew and resources because they perform shittily, and they perform shittily because they don't have the people and resources to perform well.

It was a mess, but also charming in its own way. Consider the asymetry they tried to go through with the different FTL methods – you could see them being ambitious, at least, rather than trying to rehash something for the n-th time. Sadly, they weren't able to actually pull it off, and really, the entire development process of Stellaris speaks volumes about Paradox itself.
they could have, but instead some retard pushed for the "muh multiplayeeeeh" and so everything fun has been axed one aspect after another.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Same multiplayer talk as main franchises, what's the percentage of people who even play multiplayer, isn't it super low? Why build your games around it.

don't you know about the multi? everybody know that the multi is the word.

also multiplayer focused games require much much MUCH less effort and content.

Delterius

Arcane
now now, stellaris is explicitly not balanced for multiplayer cof origins cof

MP is really just a multiplying agent for the Larp

friends summoning friends to larp and to become fun having gods

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
They don't get good crew and resources because they perform shittily, and they perform shittily because they don't have the people and resources to perform well.

Don't forget the console editions which I still believe they're some sort of joke.
The SJW corruption of the company may have something to do with its decaying performance and lack of manpower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom