Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
My liege, along with Arcturus IV, our forces captured Jzxkasoik's eleven daughters, some of them with already developed tentacles and mandibles. What should we do with them?
- Take them as concubines.
- Torture imprisoned.
- Have a feast. Eat half of them and sacrifice rest as offering to Jesus.
- Ransom imprisoned.
- I want to be a mother! Let them lay eggs inside of me.

My dream game is slowly shaping up!

potatojohn

Arcane
Too bad it's random.

What they should've done is set it 100 years in the future, with small but very high tech colonies on the moon, mars and various orbital stations and a heavily populated but stagnating earth.

Earth's politicians demand more taxes from the colonies. BAM, war. Realistic & relatable.

Not some banal MOO shit with space bears and insects.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This should have been crusader kings in space, with you playing the head of a family/house trying to achieve dominance within a space faring faction. Would make for some epic intrigue and power struggles... Much more than Europa universalis paint the fucking map gameplay.

the kwisatz haderach programs we enact in ck2 are similar enough that having them in space could be called plagiarism.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Galaxy map

universe-3019eced36b229d06bfa007aa140adb3.jpg

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember reading back in the day the same kind of article for Master of Orion 3

For all the shit people sling its way, MOO3 (with the 'Tropical' mod) is the only space 4X that made me feel as if I was waging an interstellar war, with thousands of ships, a military industrial complex, reserves, the ebb and flow of a campaign and big strategic decisions.

Most other 4X games have you build a few large fleets, fight a couple decisive battles, in which one side or the other is completely wiped out, and the war is over.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The dream of MOO3 was magnificent. The execution was flawed. From what they say so far the dream of this game sounds magnificent as well. We will have to wait and see how the execution turns out.

I have some hope given that Paradox has some experience with many of the things they are promising.
Well it started with Adam has an idea, and when they discovered how different it's from Moo2, and how fans would rape them for what they released, they kicked out Adam, and Chief artist become main game designer. They completely switched design in mid of project, and released game that wasn't what would cause outrage by fans. Fans still complained about certain lack of interaction that was leftover from original design.

KK1001

Arbiter
Oh boy another "click techs, sit on 4x speed, face one sorta challenging enemy, and then proceed to paint the map as you are now an unstoppable juggernaut."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh boy another "click techs, sit on 4x speed, face one sorta challenging enemy, and then proceed to paint the map as you are now an unstoppable juggernaut."
Well, if this make you happier, they said this kind of gameplay issue is the major thing they are trying to fix in the game. They are promising something that isn't just another generic MoO clone like Galactic Civilizations, if they will deliver, that is another question.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Thats why I like they approach with focus on internal affairs at the empire stage.

Rome had decent civil war mechanics and all the politics involved could keep you busy even when you painted the map your colour.

oscar

Arcane
There's already a sci-fi Crusader Kings II and it's not bad at all (though still a way to go)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/crisis-of-the-confederation

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...check-recruiting.717239/page-22#post-17232311

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...r-kings-in-space.803651/page-40#post-19083084

I'd prefer the human-centric and ideological/societal conflict settings in the vein of Dune, Fading Suns, Battletech etc to Humans vs Space Bears vs Crystals vs Insects type thing.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Has Paradox ever gotten something right version 1?

I'm waiting on Stellaris 2.
Europa Universalis (the one without a number or "1" if you prefer) was actually a very well made game. Simple but fun, in fact better than EU2 IMHO (i know - a blasphemy but eu2 in my opinion was the worst of the series).

Edit: Am i a the only one thinking that "Stellaris" is a really stupid title ? I understand (actually i don't) it has to end with
"-is" but why don't name it... i don't know... "Galactica Universalis" or whatever. Doesnt make sense just the same but at least it sounds more... serious. :D

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
The AGCEEP mod for 2 was insanely in-depth and branching though.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The AGCEEP mod for 2 was insanely in-depth and branching though.

It made no sense after first 50 years passed in the game.

Europa Universalis (the one without a number or "1" if you prefer) was actually a very well made game. Simple but fun, in fact better than EU2 IMHO (i know - a blasphemy but eu2 in my opinion was the worst of the series).

Edit: Am i a the only one thinking that "Stellaris" is a really stupid title ? I understand (actually i don't) it has to end with
"-is" but why don't name it... i don't know... "Galactica Universalis" or whatever. Doesnt make sense just the same but at least it sounds more... serious. :D

You colour your memories, 1 and 2 were very buggy. Great games, of course (I loved EU2 most) but buggy as hell.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No i don't. You mix 1 and 2 in your memories. EU1 was actually relatively bug free - but probably because it was less complex relative to the sequels. (Or maybe because i played it with some patches ?). EU2 had its share of bugs, i can agree on this. Anyway i wasn't commenting on bugs alone but on general feeling ("Paradox has never done a good first title in any series"). And EU1 was a very fun game to play. Just a bit (too) simple. Ergo "Stellaris 1*" might end being good. Probably won't.

It made no sense after first 50 years passed in the game.
Same as the main game, thats why i think eu2 was the worst of the series... but lets not start this discussion again.

*Have i already mentioned that this title is beyond stupid ? :D

Inspectah

Savant
This should have been crusader kings in space, with you playing the head of a family/house trying to achieve dominance within a space faring faction. Would make for some epic intrigue and power struggles... Much more than Europa universalis paint the fucking map gameplay.
Wait for the inevitable Dune mod.
But is it going to be 4x or grand strategy in space?
Grand strategy in space is my wet dream

it's latin, and means "belonging to the stars".

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Paradox released some clarifications.
  1. This is a Clausewitz game. The newest version of our homegrown engine – the one powering Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV – is the backbone of Stellaris.
  2. This is a pausable, real/continuous time game like our other titles. No turns! And you can, of course, accelerate or decelerate the time at your leisure.
  3. There are not seven playable races. This misunderstanding probably came about because we’ve used the word “phenotype” for the main classes of species – and there are six of those (Mammalian, Avian, Reptilian, etc). There are also six art styles related to these classes, for ships, buildings, and so on. There are pre-scripted races available for a quick game start, though you will never run into any of these as AI controlled factions. (The universe is populated with random species.) When you start the game, you can choose one of these scripted races or customize your own star-trekking population through a very simple process.
  4. Stellaris is being designed with large multiplayer capability in mind. Hotjoin will be possible, allowing people to join games already in progress, and we hope that the only real limit on the number of players will be the size of the galaxy map.
  5. Stellaris will be released simultaneously for Windows PC, Mac and Linux machines.
  6. We do not have various different religions and cultures in the game, as you might see in, for example, Europa Universalis. ("Religion" in an abstract sense is often mentioned however.) Population units ("Pops") can each have their own species, ethics and grievances however, which can encourage them to join Factions.

• This is a pausable, real/continuous time game like our other titles. No turns!
this is something i never understood. paradox games ARE turn based, every day is a single turn. do they keep telling this lie because the average retard is scared of turns?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
this is something i never understood. paradox games ARE turn based, every day is a single turn. do they keep telling this lie because the average retard is scared of turns?

It would be pretty tedious to end a turn after every in-game day in paradox games.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If this is like EU in space, then it will be shit and have nowhere near the classic long term appeal of ck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom