Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Imagine the scramble for the rights of legendary voice actors if that ever becomes a thing. The rights for Patrick Stewart will go for millions, and you will hear him in every game from that studio/publisher from here on :)
The same will happen with likenesses of actors. Schwarzenegger will be with us forever.

thesecret1

Arcane
Imagine the scramble for the rights of legendary voice actors if that ever becomes a thing. The rights for Patrick Stewart will go for millions, and you will hear him in every game from that studio/publisher from here on :)
The same will happen with likenesses of actors. Schwarzenegger will be with us forever.
Nah. Actors fade away from memory with each generation. I've recently heard a zoomer go "Who the fuck is Bruce Willis?"

Imagine the first generation of actors who end up being immortalized by AI and exist forever in our media being a bunch of tik tok zoomer tards.

Sorry if that caused any brain damage.

something i forgot it got modded out: megastructures are retarded, because they're rather cheap by mid game already, and you can have only 1 of each, so very soon everyone has them all already.
and holy crap how can pop spawn be so god damn slow? late game and i'm not even close to fill my starting planet, with a race built on pop spawn speed. vanilla is a true disaster. give me back alphamod!

Ravielsk

Magister
and holy crap how can pop spawn be so god damn slow? late game and i'm not even close to fill my starting planet, with a race built on pop spawn speed. vanilla is a true disaster. give me back alphamod!
Paradox is staffed by morons who cannot optimize the game to run at high pop counts so they just made pop growth slow as fuck. Of course the number of required pops has not changed but who cares right?

Yeah pop growth is one of those things where there's a big gaping hole in the logic and cohesiveness of the game world that intersects with game performance issues and rather than address it Paradox has decided to paper over the issue. It's the kind of "fix" that you'd make the day before your game releases with a note in the code saying "this is a stupid hack to get things working make sure to do something about it later", then rather than fix it Paradox continues on releasing DLC for a decade.

Ravielsk

Magister
Yeah pop growth is one of those things where there's a big gaping hole in the logic and cohesiveness of the game world that intersects with game performance issues and rather than address it Paradox has decided to paper over the issue. It's the kind of "fix" that you'd make the day before your game releases with a note in the code saying "this is a stupid hack to get things working make sure to do something about it later", then rather than fix it Paradox continues on releasing DLC for a decade.
Its a "hole" Paradox introduced themselves. The 1.0 version of the game required a significantly lower number of pops per planet to be viable. Only with the release of 2.0 did paradox skyrocket the pop numbers into the thousands. Meaning they coded a game that was meant to cap out at around 1000 pops in total(for the biggest and longest games) and then force that exact system to handle pop numbers that go easily over 10k. On a engine that literary cannot do multithreading no less.

Camel

Scholar
Its a "hole" Paradox introduced themselves. The 1.0 version of the game required a significantly lower number of pops per planet to be viable
The biggest planets were capped at 25 pops/tiles at 1.0.

Last edited:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Nah. Actors fade away from memory with each generation. I've recently heard a zoomer go "Who the fuck is Bruce Willis?"
Bruce Willis : Who the fuck is A Zoomer ?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
1716828533385.png

Wow Stellaris has really changed quite a bit since I last played (AFAIK around the time of Ancient Relics). Now that I have a stronger machine, I can fully experience it. Some thoughts:

- I didn't use it back when, but I quite like Eager Explorers civic. Its great for an Exploration-themed nation, and being able to do short jumps is pretty cool, exploration-wise. I haven't been able to use it in combat yet, but I suspect its good for essentially leapfrogging enemy defensive starbases and ravaging their heartland.
- Note: Has someone ever tried Eager Explorers + Fear of the Dark combo? -18 pops at start-up lol.
- Interface throwing me off a bit, even if its mostly similar to what I played before.
- The AI seems better than when I played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom