Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storyfags Recommendation

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Suffering is what can change the nature of a man.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I have two things to say to that: one, nobody is required to give examples when they enjoy a game and recommend it, and two, I played Torment years ago and thankfully I've managed to forget it for the most part.

Fuck off and die, you miserable, piece of shit. I don't care about your opinion that is obviously made to incite anger, but that thing where you go "ohoho, I don't have to give evidence to support my claims" is just a shitty, passive aggressive thing to do.

Just for the record, i've always have given very explicit details as to why I like certain pieces of entertainment.

Helton

Arcane
Vampire: Redemption

Oh fuck NO YOU DINIT!

That's the worse piece of trash video game I think I've ever played. How dare you recommend a bro toture himself on that shit. 30 second cut scene, 5 hour dungeon with THE SAME FUCKING TRASH MOBS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. The only thing th atmosphere inspires is making me wish I COULD BE KILLED BY THE FUCINGVAMPIRES SO I DONT HVE TO SUFFER THIS GODAWFUL SHIT VIDEO GAME...

Rake

Arcane
:lol: Redemption is worth the gameplay struggle (and that's saying something) if you can into the melodramatic vampires and stuff.
No. I'm a storyfag, but there are limits. It's one thing a game to have mediocre gameplay(select all-attack-the end), or to be so easy that you don't have to bother with the gameplay. I don't mind it that much.
But to have the gameplay be irritating/annoying, and you have to suffer through it just to progress the story? Fuck that. At that point reading a book is better use of your time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's kinda sad that every time we try to have a storyfag discussion it gets infested by a PST troll, regurgitating the same crap and acting as if his Words of Wisdom Trolling have never been uttered before.

The "insults" that PST writing is "sophomore college philosophy" never cease to amuse me. Have you looked at a sophomore philosophy course syllabus? It usually has Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, and all that jazz. Now if you're trying to tell us that PST is below your standards because it's on the same level as Plato, Artistotle et al...

Anyawy Coboney I am going to pick specific games that have been recommended to you and emphasize that YOU SHOULD PLAY THEM NAO.
- Anachronox. It's not just that the writing and setting are great, but it's the ultimate storyfag game. Its gameplay really is very mediocre - the usual accusation against PST actually applies here - but the story's so good it's totally worth it.
- If you like both adventures and RPGs you're going to LOVE Quest for Glory. The games get more storyfaggy as the series progresses from 1 to 4, and frankly 4 is a little TOO storyfaggy for my tastes (it's most people's favourite, but not mine), but the series also has great gameplay thanks to the RPG skills and stats playing such a heavy role in solving the adventure puzzles.
- MotB's controls don't take long to get used to. And as a storyfag game it is totally worth it. In terms of story reacting to your choices it's a lot more complex than PST and probably. Evil path is also probably the best in any CRPG, leading to a gloriously evil ending. And if you're willing to put up with NWN1 clunkiness then you have NO EXCUSE.
- FO1 is pretty storyfaggy and totally worth finishing. The last third or so of the game can be done without a single fight (no metagaming required - did it on my first run). It's got a very narrative that doesn't spoon-feed you everything and requires you to put things together yourself, which is always a big plus for me.
- Morrowind does this too, though more subtly. The game's flaws are sometimes pretty big, and it's more of an explorationfag than a storyfag game, but if you like having both combined, and having the exploration reward you with a better understanding of the story, then MW is the game for you. No other game does quite what it does, except for....
- Betrayal at Krondor is THE old-school storyfag CRPG. It's like Morrowind with the balance shifted more towards story, but still very heavy on exploration. Great turn-based combat. It really has no major flaws to speak of. If you like storyfag CRPGs that are still heavy on the CRPG then THIS is the game you should play.
- Tex Murphy adventures are generally pretty heavy on story. Martian Memorandum and The Pandora Directive have the best stories of the bunch, and are also IMO the best games in the series. Though Mean Streets has a pretty unique feel in that it's very heavy on note-taking and mystery-solving - with dead ends, red herrings and other assorted delights, and you the player (not the character) have to sort out all the information you're given and figure out what's what and who's lying. Great series.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch but this should do for now.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The "insults" that PST writing is "sophomore college philosophy" never cease to amuse me. Have you looked at a sophomore philosophy course syllabus? It usually has Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, and all that jazz. Now if you're trying to tell us that PST is below your standards because it's on the same level as Plato, Artistotle et al...

Read it again. We're referring to the students, not the classical texts. "A lot of Planescape does come off a bit like dorm-room rap sessions after Philosophy 101". Also, you can stop calling me some sort of troll, because it's not me who's going on about PST here. I just indicated I disliked it and moved on to give a recommendation, it's the children obsessed with PST that are dragging this out. I get it, some people like PST despite its flaws, move on. There are better games to discuss; if it makes anyone happy, I think some of Vogel's games are bad, too.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game of Thrones RPG is very underrated. The gameplay's not the best, but it has a surprisingly good plot and main characters. Especially if you are fan of the TV show or books.
This!
I actually played the game before I watched the TV series. It was still a great story experience. As are all "RPGs" by Spiders, actually. So I can really recommend Of Orcs And Men and Mars: War Logs. The gameplay mechanics are meh, but the stories are worth it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's exactly a storyfag around here? People who "play" Mass Effect in story mode? Mmm.

Unlike a book or a movie, a good story in a game is not nearly enough. Games with very good setting/story/writing - Risen 2, GoT, Alpha Protocol - but shit gameplay are still shit. Sure, to each its own, live and live, but I still don't get people who revere New Vegas. Yeah writing's great but the gameplay's the same old crap from F3.

And no, PS:T doesn't not belong in that bag. If I hear one more time the classic "myieee PS:T has a great story but the gameplay is shit myieee" whine I'm gonna kill all humans.

On the other hand you've got a plethora of games with teeeerible writing or plots that are either completely bonkers - Wizardries, M&Ms, Monkey Islands - or follow the most boring, stale and predictable high-fantasy tropes imaginable - your Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, most of NWNs - but are still an incredible fun to play.

PS:T is a pinnacle of videogaming because it married a fantastic story with a fantastic gameplay. And you can easily throw in there a few other gems like Gabriel Knight 1/2 (the 3rd one has a great story too but is too hairyass ugly to bear), Tex Murphy (expecially Overseer) or BaK.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the other hand you've got a plethora of games with teeeerible writing [...] Monkey Islands

:x

Anyway, cursory scan of my games folder 'serious' games:

Azrael's Tear
KGB (falls a bit apart at the end)
The Dig (ditto)
Conquests of the Longbow (nice melange of all the Robin mythology in adventure form with multiple endings based on score)
Cosmology of Kyoto (strange encyclopedia/adventure hybrid)
Betrayal at Krondor of course, although most of the magic comes from being really immersed in the gameplay (also falls apart at the book of macros non-sequitor)
Ultima Underworld 1 (prefer the minimalist story to 2)
Ugghghh Albion (furries)
Ultima 7 pt1 and 2 of course
Blade Runner (multiple random endings)
Deus Ex (duh)
Geneforge 5
Homeworld 1
Sacrifice
King of the Dragon Pass
The Last Express
Torment
Bloodlines

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, i think i recall a Alex topic with a workable theory for it to 'make sense'.

aris

Arcane
PS:T is a pinnacle of videogaming because it married a fantastic story with a fantastic gameplay.
  1. :hearnoevil:
  2. what exactly is so fantastic about the gameplay in PS:T? The fact that they were able to make the pathfinding even worse than in other infinity engine games, or the banal-shit boring encounters that were easy as fuck that did not require, and indeed, did not allow for any good strategy?
  3. I can grant you this though: Levelling up some items was interesting, and so were the tattoos. They also did some interesting stuff with D&D advanced 2nd edition
  4. Doesn't make the gameplay fantastic though. If it's fantastic in PS:T, then it sure as hell is fantastic in ME2 too.

aris

Arcane
  1. PS:T is a pure story fag game
  2. get over it you fucking fags.
  3. Atually you could say that it's 50% JRPG, 50% interactive movie story :troll:

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1. There are so many ways for the protagonist to unfold the story in PS:T (by intelligently interacting with objects, persons, places, tatoos ...), that in a way the story IS the gameplay.
2. You're implicitly equating gameplay to combat. It's stupidly shortsighted and that may be why everyone thinks you're an imbecile.

Last edited:

aris

Arcane
  1. Not really, there is one version where you get to know less (low wisdom), and the version where you get to know more (high wisdom), that's not real story reactivity, despite many people believing so. The story is pretty much set in stone, and can't be changed to any dramatic degree.
  2. No, it just seems that way. First of all, let's look at the stats, which are important? Only a single one, wisdom, the rest are pretty much dump stats. What do you do 80% of the time in PS:T? Read (damn interestings) walls of text. There simply does not exist any interesting gameplay mechanic or interesting combat to lift this above a pure story fag game.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1. Choice and consequence ? Never said anything about that. That's only a problem from a designer's standpoint or someone who finished the game twice. When you're in it, you're in it : you're sucked in and the story being "set in stone" makes no difference because a normal player has no mean to have an overview. And the sheer scale of interactivity, world responsiveness, and the way the story is woven in every possible player input, yes it IS gameplay my friend.
2. Obvious bait, not worth my time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
  1. Ban gaudaost if he keeps posting like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom