Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Strangeland - new adventure game from Wormwood Studios

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Actually once the game is done, i will post all of the videos in that channel as one video (there's tons hidden as well)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
By the time the game is done, James will has revealed everything. :) Peek into his channels at your own peril!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Really liking what I'm seeing of this game MRY. I loved Primordia as did most codexers, and I'm hyped about this one.

I never pass a good adventure game, ever since I was a lil kid. The artstyle is especially cool to me, which stands out from most of the other stuff released nowadays.

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
giphy.gif

Hot.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.wormwoodstudios.com/2019/12/2019-in-review.html

Strangeland can now be played from beginning to end, although it is missing a considerable amount of art (and some design) in the last 15% or so of the game. We had hoped to finish it entirely in 2019, but we’re very close now. The game is divisible into four sections, and we’ve had testers play the first two of those sections extensively. The reactions seem quite positive.

Strangeland’s a bit, well, strange, in that the whole thing is confined to a dream-like carnival, which makes it feel much smaller than Primordia, even though the actual number of rooms, puzzle interfaces, characters, and so forth is probably roughly comparable. The art is spectacular (no surprise), and benefits from four times the pixels that Primordia had in terms of resolution. But the real leap forward, I think, is in the code. There are dozens of features, from striking visual effects to behind-the-scenes conveniences, that make Strangeland really exceptional. Without James’s code wizardry, there would have been no way to achieve the warped and unnerving scenario that the game requires.

We’re very hopeful for a 2020 release for Strangeland.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Whew! We've turned the game over to testers up until the endgame, which is also nearly ready for testers.

Testers led to Act 1 and Act 2 getting substantially overhauled, though. If they have that effect on Act 3, it might delay things for a while. If Act 3 gets by without being torn apart, we might be very close to done (barring VO).

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Whew! We've turned the game over to testers up until the endgame, which is also nearly ready for testers.

Testers led to Act 1 and Act 2 getting substantially overhauled, though. If they have that effect on Act 3, it might delay things for a while. If Act 3 gets by without being torn apart, we might be very close to done (barring VO).

Are the testers people who actually knows how to play computer games or are they the usual mouth breathers who complains when there's no quest compass or GPS in games?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
At this stage they’re cherry picked people I know and trust. At some point l will try to get a broader perspective. It’s Primordia’s translators, some Codexers, a couple folks who were careful reviews of Primordia, etc.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Basically if people said, “When do we get to play your next game?” and seemed like good prospective testers, I invited them to test. It’s been a productive group.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
:takemyjewgold:

Primordia is still one of the few really great adventure games from the last fifteen years, and up there with the jewels from the floppy age.

RuySan

Augur
:takemyjewgold:

Primordia is still one of the few really great adventure games from the last fifteen years, and up there with the jewels from the floppy age.
Same here. It's up there with machinarium and the dream machine as the best adventures of the 21st century.

I don't know why multiple solutions to puzzles isn't a standard in the genre. It really should be.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think because, setting aside Indiana Jones, it was not a feature of Lucas Arts adventures, and they became the template for modern adventure games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
With about half of testers having reported, I'd say that we're probably not going to need to tear anything much apart, but it also isn't all superficial stuff. Probably a couple weeks' worth of work to address their comments before getting back to wrapping up the endgame. But this process is very helpful.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I was thinking of that myself just last night—whether there’s a good pun to be had there.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There's a noose in the game; maybe someone can say, "This is *Strange*-land, stranger, not *Strangle*-and." But who?

EDIT:

Ah, I know the right character, though it's very unlikely the player will still have the noose at that point, the line'll be there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom