Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion: lulz button

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to see who's brofisting who, there is a big difference between Azrael's fists, Mondblut's fists and Konjad's fists. No, I will not click on that shitty "list" button.

Also, I'm a newfag here... Why am I able to brofist people like everyone else?
Dec 29 2012. Or never. Depends solely on DU's whims and his is a mercurial disposition.

Revenant

Exactly, since the proportion of monocled gentlemen and retards is not what certain individuals perceive it to be.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
If you're posting so much in the political forum - and there are so many people who disagree with you that you're receiving a barrage of constant butthurts / retarded - and you're posting so little useful posts in the RPG forums that you're not getting a lot of brofists, than yes, one would think that would be a fair assessment to make.

You've underlined the problem:
people disagree with you, so you get branded "retarded".
Are you new here? Your join date says 2008 but it's like you've never been on the Codex before.

Yes, when lots of people disagree with your inane, stupid shit, you get branded retarded.

Look at FretRider. Can you honestly say many people here agree with him on anything? Nope, they don't - and he's been branded retarded. Well damn straight, the guy IS a fucking retard.

Welcome to the Codex, enjoy your stay.

Though I would point out that "retarded" and "disagree" are two separate buttons.

According to you and your article on the last year, we are all retarded anyway. ;)
A big, tard family.

:love:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yes, and people said the same thing about brofist when that was first brought in. Instead, people used it as a useful way of saying "I agree with you / you rock / thanks man" without having to post "I agree with you / you rock / thanks man". Typically people who aren't interested in posting in the first place.

Now look at everyone begging for it to come back as the only option.

When your jailor has the habit if applying daily beatings with a wooden rod, then one day changes to an iron one... No, that is not how it works. If we absolutely need to have a "like/dislike" -system, it works much better when it is the way it used to be. The original arguments against brofists still stand, this doesn't make them any less valid.

In what way? If I see a post by you, and it has 200+ disagrees, I think it's fair to say that 200+ people disagree with you on that particular post. In what way is that confusing?

They disagree with ME or the OPINION in the post?

orly.png

If this was about the separate post, then it sure wouldn't be tied with my user profile, now would it?

Oh noes, people who agree with you will be marked as agreeing with you forever. What BS is this? It's a simple concept. You post something that someone agrees with, they get to express that to you in a very simple and clear way.

I dunno, maybe because they render the whole list meaningless by the mere clutter? Maybe every post I make is not a public poll I want to know the results off?

Yeah, given the number of times I've posted "brofist this post if you want me to do XYZ" in the middle of a thread, no.

You think that it is a good way to handle anything of any importance?

In the end - don't post anything. Not because of the risk of someone disagreeing with you and rating your posting "retarded" or "butthurt", but because you'll be showered with inane alerts on the ratings.

Your entire argument = moot. And currently, you should only be getting 1 alert for a given post (no matter how many ratings it receives), rather than 200 for everyone who votes agree on that given post (though I believe revisiting the post resets that).

You create a problem and then propose a solution that makes the situation even worse. Sounds moot, yeah. Giving that well-earned brofist used to mean something, now it is will just be static that everyone disables.

You've basically just said "if 200+ people disagree with my post and quote me and reply with 'you're an idiot', thus alerting me to it - than I don't want to hear it nah-nah-nyah-nah-nah".

If someone disagrees with me, I'd like them to at least go through the trouble of replying that I am an idiot. Hitting a button provides no feedback.

Are you new here? Your join date says 2008 but it's like you've never been on the Codex before.

Yes, when lots of people disagree with your inane, stupid shit, you get branded retarded.

Look at FretRider. Can you honestly say many people here agree with him on anything? Nope, they don't - and he's been branded retarded. Well damn straight, the guy IS a fucking retard.

Welcome to the Codex, enjoy your stay.

Yeah, it sure seems like it - the Codex I used to visit was one where the court of public opinion was a place where intellectual giants and midgets met in an open field. Not one where they downvote posts they disagree with like cowards.

Should Khor have 500 points of "retarded" or "butthurt"?

If everyone was sensible and mature enough to refrain from abusing the provided alternatives for disagreeing, I'm sure the problem wouldn't be as profound. Good thing we've no issue with immature posters here at Codex.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord What's good in small amounts doesn't necessarily scale upwards. One type of brofist = good. Seven varieties of brofist = WTF.
Unbrofist and vote down options have been asked for several times now. Including by yourself, here.

Disagree, butthurt and retarded should hopefully suffice.

Beyond the uselessness of it, this new system is also just too much clutter. It's aesthetically unpleasing. And it slows down the forum.
And after people said the same thing about "likes" when they were first introduced, 6 months later they were begging for it in every forum and asking for the opportunity to brofist.

I'm genuinely interested to see how this will work out. I doubt it will change the dynamics on the forum at all, only aggregate results. Writing a wall of text on the internet is not even a remotely similar response to pressing a tiny button at the bottom of a post. It takes entirely different mindsets to do each. One is emotionally engaged, the other usually doesn't care enough to write about it, or they intend to write about it anyway. The buttons won't change that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can any bros give us a tutorial on how to completely block this system? I've already disabled alerts, but I don't want to see this junk underneath each post.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's aesthetically unpleasing are the colourful images at the bottom of each post. "This post has X brofists" was just nice clean text. Maybe this new rating system would be better without pictures.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Also, I'm a newfag here... Why am I able to brofist people like everyone else?
I blame XF's permissions system. Should be fixed now.

When your jailor has the habit if applying daily beatings with a wooden rod, then one day changes to an iron one... No, that is not how it works. If we absolutely need to have a "like/dislike" -system, it works much better when it is the way it used to be. The original arguments against brofists still stand, this doesn't make them any less valid.
Yes because since we implemented the brofist, so many people have stopped discussing things that I've actually reduced the number of forums we have...

Oh wait.

And allowing brofisting has significantly reduced the number of posts being made because people have stopped debating things.

post_stats.png

Oh wait (in particular note the subtle correlation between high post days and high brofist days).

In what way? If I see a post by you, and it has 200+ disagrees, I think it's fair to say that 200+ people disagree with you on that particular post. In what way is that confusing?

They disagree with ME or the OPINION in the post?
Who knows. When you disagree with FretRider, do you disagree with FretRider - or the fact that he posts the same bullshit in every post?

Oh noes, people who agree with you will be marked as agreeing with you forever. What BS is this? It's a simple concept. You post something that someone agrees with, they get to express that to you in a very simple and clear way.
I dunno, maybe because they render the whole list meaningless by the mere clutter? Maybe every post I make is not a public poll I want to know the results off?
You're acting as if every post you make is going to result in someone telling you you're butthurt. If brofists are any indication, it won't. After the initial flurry of "NEW FEATURE ZOMGZOMGZOMG", it dies down and most people use it appropriately.

Yeah, given the number of times I've posted "brofist this post if you want me to do XYZ" in the middle of a thread, no.
You think that it is a good way to handle anything of any importance?
You think anything here is important?

In the end - don't post anything. Not because of the risk of someone disagreeing with you and rating your posting "retarded" or "butthurt", but because you'll be showered with inane alerts on the ratings.
Your entire argument = moot. And currently, you should only be getting 1 alert for a given post (no matter how many ratings it receives), rather than 200 for everyone who votes agree on that given post (though I believe revisiting the post resets that).

You create a problem and then propose a solution that makes the situation even worse. Sounds moot, yeah. Giving that well-earned brofist used to mean something, now it is will just be static that everyone disables.
Hang on, a minute ago brofists were some terrible crime against humanity because people were judging you - in every post you make! Now they're "well-earned" - despite the fact that every post you make has the potential to be brofisted. And arbitrarily.

You've basically just said "if 200+ people disagree with my post and quote me and reply with 'you're an idiot', thus alerting me to it - than I don't want to hear it nah-nah-nyah-nah-nah".
If someone disagrees with me, I'd like them to at least go through the trouble of replying that I am an idiot. Hitting a button provides no feedback.
See me here? Talking to you? Apparently I'm supposed to just vote you Retarded and move on.

You've imagined a problem that simply doesn't exist, for a feature that's been in existence for less than one whole fucking day, and which the brofist feature showed didn't exist. And now you're hyperbolling. What, you think every precious post you make is going to get voted on?

And what, you think everyone who disagreed with you before was going to tell you about it? Sorry, but they don't. Chances are they don't care enough to get involved, and would just ignore it. Now they have a chance to participate in some small way and point out that you're a retard.

Trust me, the more people pointing out your retardation is a good thing.

the Codex I used to visit was one where the court of public opinion was a place where intellectual giants and midgets met in an open field. Not one where they downvote posts they disagree with like cowards.

Should Khor have 500 points of "retarded" or "butthurt"?
Knowing Khor, he'll probably end up with 500 points of both. It depends on his individual posts though.

If everyone was sensible and mature enough to refrain from abusing the provided alternatives for disagreeing, I'm sure the problem wouldn't be as profound. Good thing we've no issue with immature posters here at Codex.
Yes, that is indeed a good thing. :smug:

"Shitposter, alt248294, hiver and 3 more people butthurted this"
No different to "FretRider, Commisar Draco and Humanity has risen!" have brofisted this.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Maybe if we started calling DU "Bruce" all the time he'll give in....or be jolly delighted. Idunnolol!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
A bunch of backups will be running today so that'll mean a hit for the server performance, but if it's not any better 6 hours from now, the culprit will be obvious...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom