Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Cadmus

Arcane
dont bump this thread unless theres an update, you fuckos

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It has some of the best RPG combat out there if you spend the time to learn it. Also layers. In this game, you finally can become a walking wardrobe and laugh as enemy stick fails to deliver any impact past your shirt, gambeson, doublet, chain vest, tunic, and breastplate, while simultaneously pondering why other RPGs do not feature a playing dolls mechanic as powerful as this one.
No wonder they can’t hit you given the weapon in game have linear acceleration model and weirdest angles of impact. I tend to think this game is for heroin addicted.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
dont bump this thread unless theres an update, you fuckos

Yeah, this is fucking bullshit. I was really excited to see this game become something. The little bit they had created was absolutely nuts.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some questions about enemies further down into the dungeon, so spoilers!

Anyone here fought those weird ninjas in level 4 or 5? Not sure what tactics to use, any tips? They don't look that well armored but can sure take a beating! And they are fast. Two more questions. Think it's level 6. Those giant fully plated warriors that come alive, is it possible to defeat them or are you just supposed to run? Last question. How do I get into the sewers?

Bonus pic:

64E37233594D76593DBD1836D001EA60530AF73E

If you're talking about the the giant animated armor at the gates, they are tough. You used to be able to cheese them by ducking, but that was resolved. I've never beaten them. "Sir" was a cake walk comparatively.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, okay. Guess I just have to run like a maniac then. You never fought the middle-eastern looking ninjas? They brutalized me also. One even came dual-wielding.

I haven't played the game regularly in a very long time. I've really been waiting for the Thaumaturgy to be released before doing a proper dungeon run. In the past two years or so, if I load it up (sparsely), I just screw around in the Arena. While I know they've updated the dungeon alot since then, I haven't delved it's newer depths. I've never fought the foes you've described.

Aemar

Arcane
What's the current status of these games? Exanima has been like in early access since 2015.

There was a burst of updates mid 2019 after a drought of like 2 years. Lots of improvements to things like engine, animations, quality of life features, bugs, and improved AI...but not much new content since 2017. I had actually thought it abandoned until the surprise updates last spring/summer, which is a common occurrence. The creators are perfectionists to a fault, which I can appreciate. It's a coin-toss whether or not they are merely pursuing their life's passion indefinitely and letting us share in it, or merely perfecting their engine and assets for a bid with a publisher in the future. Likely both. Regardless, I don't regret the $25 or less I spent on it.

Best to have fun with it, then forget about it until you see that update icon appear on GoG. Updates & Release Page: http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?forums/updates-release-notes.24/

Some questions about enemies further down into the dungeon, so spoilers!

Anyone here fought those weird ninjas in level 4 or 5? Not sure what tactics to use, any tips? They don't look that well armored but can sure take a beating! And they are fast. Two more questions. Think it's level 6. Those giant fully plated warriors that come alive, is it possible to defeat them or are you just supposed to run? Last question. How do I get into the sewers?

Bonus pic:

64E37233594D76593DBD1836D001EA60530AF73E

Re: armored golems that come alive. You don't need to run from them at all. You can bypass the vast majority of them by searching the preceding area (within the same level) carefully until you find a little token with a symbol on it. As long as you keep that token in your inventory, you can traverse past an area with the same symbol on the floor without waking up the golem guardians. There are optional parts of that level where you do need to fight golems to gain access, but this is clearly telegraphed as they guard areas to which you cannot gain a token, and there is a certain trophy in that level that should allow you to get a leg up on them if you manage your resources correctly.

Re: Ninjas; I assume you mean the dual-wielding dudes in blue. They are decently armored and fast, but not as heavily armored as say the brass-plated skeletons from the preceding level. I would recommend using an axe for a good mix of damage and speed or even a two-hander to be able to keep up with them, or a poleaxe to outrange them - something that's a good compromise between range, speed, and impact basically. Definitely consider doing the golem level first because the weapons there are on the whole faster and longer than those found in the archives. I usually keep four weapons on me: two and one handed slashers as well as two and one handed bashers, so that generally allows me to adapt to whatever crazy shit the game throws at me. I also have hairy legs that turn blond in the sun btw

Re: Sewers. I believe there are two entrances from the crossroads level (that being the sprawling urban-esque level connected to both the archives where the big demon hangs out and the level with the rape golems. Look for places that look like broken man-sized drainage pipes amid natural parts of the terrain (one is by a set of staircases going down in the corner of the level if that rings a bell) - you should be able to find an entrance. Going there without either a full set of plate or a fast slashing weapon or a light source or ideally all of the above is going to kick your ass though, and the level itself isn't particularly developed as of yet (not much to do except looting containers for a unique set and weapon) so there is that.

Also, does anyone know how to hire merchants in the arena? All of the available mooks have their profession as combatant.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, does anyone know how to hire merchants in the arena? All of the available mooks have their profession as combatant.
Last time I played - about 8 months ago? - you just had to wait until one of the guys you could hire was a merchant. So yes, you need to check all of them manually after each fight - the game is a mess.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Damn, okay. Guess I just have to run like a maniac then. You never fought the middle-eastern looking ninjas? They brutalized me also. One even came dual-wielding.
Dual-wielding ones are called Blade Masters, they are elite warriors and there are only 3. You are having trouble with them because your previous foes were much weaker, zombies, for example, are unarmored, swing wildly and do not block at all. Skeletons have low mass and subpar combat performance. But undead from lower levels are proper opponents without handicaps. The Blade Masters specifically have the most difficult AI coupled with OP dual wield set up. Since any weapon can block any weapon their quick reaction and fast weapons allow them to deflect most hits and chain their attacks with precision and speed. The newb way to beat any humanoid opponent is to crouch swing - equip any reach weapon, preferably the quick greatsword or the powerful hammer and try to crouch at the right moment of the swing to hit their legs and bypass their defenses. This technique is considered unholy cheese because enemies have no way to defend from that yet.

If you want to learn the game properly try to attack your foes at the same moment they attack you but faster. Because they can't actively deflect and attack at the same time you can get a hit through if you time it right. This is best done with a reach weapon because you can threaten them from distance and back step from hits easier. When they start their swing, swing your weapon too while moving the mouse quick with the direction of the strike to accelerate it and take half a step back to compensate for them getting closer. Hammers will do more damage but you need experience to feel the distance for an ideal hit with the end of the weapon, because of that it is difficult to land one without practice; long blades are fast and far easier to hit with, but the armor will absorb much of the damage done.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
What's the current status of these games? Exanima has been like in early access since 2015.
NEXT UPDATE IS COMING THIS MONTH. FROM THE SIX PLANNED EXANIMA WILL HAVE ITS FIRST MAGIC DISCIPLINE IMPLEMENTED. IT IS FOCUSED ON MIND BENDING POWERS.

ALSO INCLUDED: NEW AREAS, NEW MARTIAL SKILLS, NEW THAMATURGY SKILLS, IMPROVED ANIMATIONS, DOUBLE XP RATE.

The next update planned after this one will be dedicated to the arena and will add procedural weapons to the game and other content updates.

Last edited:
I saw that in the "coffee chat" updates or whatever they call it. I gives those estimates a precision of +/- 6 months. Hopefully they deliver. I've been very eager to see the Thaumaturgy for years. The use if it in their tailers and descriptions on their website make it appear like proper magic. Not just the tired MMO ranged attack with sparkles.

Beowulf

Arcane
Fuck me this drunken boxing sim is still alive?
It's not going anywhere. They WILL finish it, however long that takes. Unless the main dev dies in Italy from the virus of course...

What will they finish exactly?
Exanima? The game the developer announced as a prologue to Sui Generis, when they realised that making a game they run kicstarter for is actually quite difficult?
They run that kickstarter 6 years ago. And after 6 years they are still working on the "prologue".
Sure, the combat mechanics and the engine are nice, but the project as a whole is moving at a glacial pace, doing only slightly better than That Which Sleeps.

Or did you mean that they will indeed finish Sui Generis? Unless they've been doing a lot of work for years in super secrecy (and in the meantime working on Exanima) it's not going to see the light of day.
Sure, a Grimoire can happen every now and then, but I wouldn't count on it.

:deadhorse:

Still, Exanima is good for what it is.

:troll:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
That's the impression I got- that they are working on Sui Generis in the meantime. Who knows though? I just want another 50 new dungeon levels in Exanima and I will be happy. I love wandering around the corridors and bonking zombies on the head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom