Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mean I could kind of understand it if the project is purely a labor-of-love kind of thing completely on their own money. But they got 160k£ on the kickstarter campaign and are what, 6 years behind on schedule?
The original game was high fantasy and was severely downscaled in scope and quality. Once they realized they won't make it in time anyway, a year later they asked the backers what would they want to be done with the game. To continue working on original SG idea and release a lesser game sooner or make a prelude first and test systems in Exanima while raising the production quality to unreasonable heights for an indie game. Most backers voted the second. So they are not behind anything. Original SG is dead and they are free to make SG mark II for however long they wish.

Even taking all that into account, Exanima was released somewhere in 2015 IIRC. And it's still not "done" in any way or form. It's kind of hilarious that the steam page still says this:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Around six to nine months, give or take three months! Honestly, we can't provide an exact timeframe as there are many factors involved, some of which are beyond our control. These include feedback from a wider community and, ultimately, Exanima's success which will determine our budget going forward.”

They really could not provide an exact timeframe for Exanima either. But I'm not too miffed about all of this, I never backed the KS campaign and I think got Exanima for pretty cheap and got a few hours of fun out of it, which is fine for me. I would like to get a full-fledged game out of them, since they're clearly doing something unlike anyone else. But if it's not to be then it's not to be.

Technomancer

Liturgist
They really could not provide an exact timeframe for Exanima either.
Not completely sure but that changed during development once they asked the backers again. Because Exanima too was supposed to be very limited in scope and a short testing phase, maybe 6 levels short. As for the description, is it actually possible to change it after it is written? Maybe it is locked by steam.

And early Exanima progress was very slow and limited because most of the effort was focused on the systems not on content:

we got stuck in a seemingly eternal loop of improving the core game and engine systems, but we're mostly out of it now and focusing on features and content at last
and the combat is something else now
I guess partly because that all there was at the time, the whole combat and character physics was at the centre of attention for a long time, which only got worse once the game went to Steam, and then we spent a very long iterating on all that
which wasn't easy to say the least
but that goes for a quite a lot of stuff, very much quality over quantity

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
4249 more dev thoughts for context:

well, a lot of current development is targeted more towards SG than XA really. I'd say most in fact
we're having to redo a lot of things, the game has grown a lot more ambitious and refined, a lot of accepted limitations are no longer considered acceptable etc.
a lot of the work I've been doing recently is AI, role system and tools, and most of that is geared towards what's required for SG but it influences lots of things we do besides
generally implementing things for the broader scope and world-building of SG rather than just what's required in XA or right now
in simpler words I mean is that a lot of things that we initially thought "this will be good enough" is no longer good enough after hearing endless feedback and hopes and dreams of the community and generally raising the quality and polish of everything in the game
XA has become a much more complex and complete game than it was supposed to be
so now we're gradually using it more and more as a platform to thoroughly develop various aspects of the game
if you see our original plans for XA and what they are now...
Exanima was supposed to have 8 smallish levels, using only 2-3 different tilesets, no arena, no terrain features or anything and all sorts
if we had stuck to our original plans it would have been finished long ago
current scope for Exanima is 8 times bigger and will be much more richly featured

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I backed the game for £10 (a rather small sum, but money is money) in 2012, being promised an open-world RPG. Instead I got a dungeon crawler and gladiator simulator.

I would have felt cheated had the combat system not been truly sui generis, and immensely fun (once I learned it).

Technomancer

Liturgist
10/8/20

Finally everything for the new procedural weapons is in place and working correctly. The WIP system that highlighted some quality issues with our approach to rendering has now been fully replaced with the new systems we've developed. We did run into an old quality issue that was much more noticeable now that everything looks so crisp, but with a bit of clever maths and some changes to our tools we got everything looking flawless. This isn't the only quality improvement we made this week, and things really do look amazing now.

So now that it's all working we're back to mass producing new weapons. This week we focused on warhammers and maces, and we already have thousands of possible variations of each, and a lot of the work we're doing translates directly into other weapon types, such as various polearms and axes. We are focusing on very realistic designs for overworld / arena content. The workflow is very fast, but the weapons look highly detailed and as if they were each carefully hand crafted.

We're still expanding and perfecting our library of procedural materials. By the end of this week we should have covered the important ones, and we should be able to show you what the new weapons will finally look like.

We do have a small teaser of some work we've been doing with the procedural systems for characters. This is about improving our dead body decomposition and damage system, primarily to enhance the look of the undead. There are some important general improvements, and we can remove sections of flesh to reveal bones, organs and other yucky stuff.

New Body Decomposition and Damage
As part of our character procedural generation update we're working on new decomposed body graphics to improve the look of undead. This includes the ability to remove any part of the flesh to reveal what's below,...

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Technomancer

Liturgist
17/8/20

This week we've been working on a few different things, but mostly we've been focusing on procedural weapons.

To talk about procedural weapons we probably need a bit of context. Some people seem to think that we mean taking a sword handle and sticking a mace head on it or something. So we'll explain what these procedural weapons are and why we're doing it.

In Exanima weapons don't currently have greatly variable stats, but they do have different features, and just their shape and the distribution of mass can change how they feel to use and make them excel at different things. This will be further reinforced by a more accurate damage model, the ability to dynamically change the grip and orientation of your weapon, and some new combat manoeuvres. Basically, from a gameplay and itemisation perspective, changing some stats is not enough.

Right now we have one warhammer, or one poleaxe, they're always the same and we know what to expect. Rather than add a few more variants, our approach is to break very specific weapons' construction and elements into many parts (as many as 9 so far), then making many variants of each part, applying some deformations, procedural materials that always look different, and finally aging, damage and dirt.
This means that instead of one poleaxe or whatever, we will have thousands, with varying features and proportions, quality levels and conditions. Every poleaxe you find will be unique, and it might just be the perfect one for you. There will always be new weapons to find, admire and muck about with, and a detailed quality system. There's always lots of variety, even within a specific context. It's important for itemisation, but also world building.

This week as we looked at more historical examples, methods of construction and employment of weapons we obsessed over details. More modularity means more weapons, but it can also limit how we approach the design of a weapon, and we want to be able to do anything. We needed a way to override parts of the modular system for more unique designs. We also want the weapons to look realistic and authentic, details like dirt accumulating where different shaped components meet are important for the overall quality level.

These are some difficult problems we ran into (or created) this week, so the procedural weapon system got more complex, but we have already solved them and it's all rather good. We also made progress with our procedural materials, we now have metals, wood, leather and cloth, and mostly just need to make some additional variants of each. The whole system in general has moved from something a bit WIP to something finalised and well optimised with really good tools.

These new improvements do mean we don't have as many ready assets today as we thought we would, so we'd rather wait until next week for some screenshots, when we should have a bit more to show you.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

agris

Arcane
Patron
This will be further reinforced by a more accurate damage model, the ability to dynamically change the grip and orientation of your weapon
Whew, good thing they aren’t building out maps or content or story. What good is any of that if I can’t dynamically change the grip on my weapon that has infinite variations of centroid, condition and non-ferrous corrosion modeling!

They’re wisely avoiding a refund shitstorm by focusing on the core gameplay - autism.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Whew, good thing they aren’t building out maps or content or story
Not true, while madoc works on tech the team is working on arenas and future levels with story content. You can't know it of course since he only mentions it on disc.

agris

Arcane
Patron
As always, I hope it’s true for this game. Yet, from the outside it looks a lot like a writer who has writer’s block and is spending a lot of time perfecting the font and typeface kerning.

Ninjerk

Arcane
As always, I hope it’s true for this game. Yet, from the outside it looks a lot like a writer who has writer’s block and is spending a lot of time perfecting the font and typeface kerning.
I wish there was a rating somewhere between the autism robot and the purple masturbating thing for posts like this.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Yet, from the outside it looks a lot like a writer who has writer’s block and is spending a lot of time perfecting the font and typeface kerning.
It is easy to see it this way since almost all other devs never speak with the community. Because dev conferences are private and Madoc can only speak tech it seems like tech stuff is the only thing where the progress is made.
But there is a full team working tirelessly behind the scenes:
Brendan is doing role stuff and figuring out some arena stuff and a few other bits, Kieran is making and updating some assets, Agi is working on the next story level, Luke is doing some new arenas, Zeth is making fancy armours for tournament rewards and Bethain is updating some early level music atm

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If the game's combat is based around physics, doesn't having an endless amount of variables for each possible weapon mean that one should have to practice and correct learned techniques for every new weapon change/upgrade? Impressive from a technical point of view, but that sounds like the complete opposite of fun.

Motion for Ninjerk to bring back the FFT avatar

Technomancer

Liturgist
If the game's combat is based around physics, doesn't having an endless amount of variables for each possible weapon mean that one should have to practice and correct learned techniques for every new weapon change/upgrade?
They are not exactly endless, they use the same weapon bases and alter them with quality, condition and weapon parts. Even with variations, they are similar to each other. Some parts can change balance of the weapons of course or stuff like weight or length of the blade. Also, as I understand it there are plans to make it so that different manufacturers and factions use different templates for generating stuff so stuff that comes from one source is vaguely similar like it is using the same smithing techniques.

Technomancer

Liturgist
24/8/20

The procedural weapon system is finally complete, at least as far as generating weapons goes. We'll need to do some integration with gameplay system, but the important thing is that we can now build an ever increasing library of weapons and development can move on to completing other features.

We're still developing the assets and there's some small but important changes and additions we need to make that will improve the quality and variety, but we're going to show you a few examples of generated war hammers. We've been getting our head around the system and focusing on the basics here, but more elaborate designs are in the works, though mostly for other constructions (i.e. horseman's hammer) and weapon types.

These hammers are generated using only four variants of each component. The possible combinations are already in the thousands. We still need to add three more components: grips, guards (these are optional) and separate bolts; decorative elements or spikes for the side of the head.

As we continue to add components, the results grow exponentially. 10 variants gives us over 100 million combinations. But combinations are only part of it! Individual components have up to three deformations each, procedural materials always look different, quality levels, wear and dirt are also procedural and always look different. Even the same exact weapon (i.e. for intentional mass production) looks quite unique and not a clone.

Some Procedural War Hammers
Some examples of procedurally generated war hammers. Still need to improve some assets and add more components, but it's all working rather nicely.

Here is an example of the same hammer using different quality modifiers on the steel. In practice medieval steel was full of impurities, resulting in dark spots and streaks, which could also compromise its strength.

Steel Quality Modifier
An example of the same identical hammer with a different quality modifier applied to the steel. Medieval steel typically contained many impurities that cause dark spots and streaks.

Here is an example of the same hammer with different deformations applied:

Procedural Weapon Deformations
The same procedural hammer with just different deformations applied to the various components.

Finally, an idea from community member / tester Zhuliks, a comparison between a historical example from the Wallace Collection and one of our generated hammers. It's not supposed be an exact replica, but it shows our efforts to create authentic looking details and materials.

Comparison with Historical War Hammer
A comparison between a historical example from the Wallace Collection and one of our generated hammers. It's not supposed be an exact replica, but it shows our efforts to create authentic looking details and materials.

We've been saying for some time that we weren't really adding weapons to the game, because we wanted a better, procedural, way of doing it. This is it and it's now full steam ahead, many new weapons will be added. Besides the obvious randomisation and gameplay mechanic advantages of this, it is also a much more streamlined asset creation process. Another advantage is that as all weapons are effectively generated in real time, any update we make to the system or the graphics will instantly update every weapon, with zero per item maintenance.

It's very easy for us to add components, and we will continue to do so more or less indefinitely. Many of the components we create can be used across multiple weapons with similar constructions. We can also define custom rules inside the "weapon factory" to bypass common weapon layouts and create more unique elements and designs, while still leveraging most of the randomisation features and components. Factories can be used to generate randomised weapons, but also to very quickly design specific weapons. These factories are also not limited to weapons, and we already have a few ideas for other objects to generate procedurally.

We will talk more about weapons later as there are also some nice gameplay mechanic updates. For now we will be trying to wrap up some functionality for the GI system so that we can give our testers a version of the game running on the new renderer, and then moving on to completing gameplay features for the updated arena. In parallel we are also finally making some real progress on our role structures, which will finally allow us to leverage all the work we've done on AI and the role system and provide more compelling and intelligent NPC interaction.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like the double battles for their unpredictability - sometimes your mate defeats their foe and you gang up on the lone opponent, sometimes your mate is defeated and both opponents gang up on you.

However, they do not show up in the match list often enough, and leveling up teammates is slow. I want to be able to hire Master level teammates, so I can fight alongside someone decked out in full plate.

That way I won't be, well...

EDIT: I just saw that I actually can hire Master teammates, with full plate included in the purchase even! I must have had bad luck the previous times I checked for hirelings.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
Many new match types are coming to the arena. Exiting stuff like you in full plate vs 3 dead men.

Technomancer

Liturgist
31/8/20

This week we decided to take a little time to improve the productivity of the team as a whole. We are currently producing a huge number of assets for procedural weapons and updating many older assets to better fit our increased standards and new renderer. In parallel to this there is also important work being done on other aspects of the game, namely the role system.

The role system is probably the most ambitious feature we're developing. It's about moving away from the usual one-dimensional game characters, making them intelligent and able to react plausibly to almost any situation. The core concept is that rather than script specific characters to do specific things, we break all behaviour into many "roles", then characters are assigned and acquire roles based on who they are and what situations they're in, giving every character the full range of possible behaviours. We believe this is key to creating a dynamic and interactive game world.

Obviously this is a huge simplification, and in practice it gets very complicated very quickly. Developing the role system and the AI that drives it was responsible for our longest gap between updates. Indeed the system itself is quite well developed, but so far we've only abused it with some simple AI interactions and dialogue which are not very dynamic at all. Not what it is intended for.

This is because we're still missing the actual roles. The challenge now is to come up with a core role structure which is the foundation for all AI relationships and interactions. This is a very open ended task. We've always had some good ideas, but it's hard to settle on a definitive structure that all future roles will be built on.

For some time now Brendan has been spearheading the effort to finalise this and we've reached a point where we have a much clearer idea of our exact requirements. This week we decided it was time to make various proposed improvements to the system and tools so that this can effectively continue to progress in parallel while we develop other features of the game.

For Exanima's immediate future this is what will support additional NPCs, more ways to interact with them and generally much more convincing and reactive behaviour. We would also in time like to include hired NPCs as characters in arena outside of matches, that interact with you and each other.

As for graphical assets, we've integrated the tools we use most on a daily basis into a single workflow, which is pretty huge and something we've been wanting for some time. This automates many tedious and sometimes confusing tasks, and implicitly organises our work, so that an entire workflow from start to finish is neatly packaged and laid out, very easy to iterate on, return to, and to replicate for other similar work.

Also this week we've gone into some details for our world building tool. This is a bit like a maps app that allows us to easily navigate the world we're creating, and also rapidly reference characters, timelines, events, lore etc. for multiple people to work together and share what they're doing in a coherent way. We're going to start fairly small, but it will already be a very useful platform for some members of the team to organise their work.

Not much in the way of immediate results this week, but this will all really help making the updates come out faster and better.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Technomancer

Liturgist
7/9/20

We're currently working on quite a few things in parallel, but at this point it's about completing various bits and bobs rather than developing anything new. We're shifting gears to get the largest changes such as the new renderer and procedural item system in the hands of beta testers very soon.

So far Kieran has developed all the new weapon assets, working closely with Madoc to figure the whole system out. Now that the system is fully functional and we've also improved our tools, he's rapidly producing a huge quantity of great looking weapons. We really want to make a lot of weapons, and we'll continue to do so gradually. Now that everything is well established other team members will also be able to get involved and contribute their designs.

This week we've focused particularly on swords. Although swords are not made of as many distinct parts as some other weapons, they vary greatly in shape and design and there's a huge amount of material to draw from. We developed some new specialised deformations for balanced tapers and blade and guard curvature, and we've been really impressed with how much variety these add alone. We're also adding more specialised procedural materials, with blade metal being the most challenging we've dealt with so far.

We don't need procedural weapons to be complete for our first beta test, but we will include some new weapons, and armour is getting some updates too, new materials, a separate build quality and condition modifier, a larger material palette to support new items and a new colouring system that is more versatile and supports new mechanics.

The only other thing we really need to start beta testing is basically making some aspects of the new GI game ready. The new GI updates really fast, but it does consume resources and for our large maps with hundreds of lights and thousands of objects, it needs to work with a more focused area and stream objects and lights in. We've solved these problems already, but we need to put some time into a game ready implementation.

We are also still making progress on roles. At this point we're mostly trying to figure out how to make some aspects of it more intuitive from an end user / content designer point of view, when designing roles and characters. This is largely about understanding and properly documenting usage cases and best practices. There's been an increasing focus on making our tools user friendly, to streamline our own development, to potentially take on new people for content design and in the long run to provide powerful content creation tools to the community.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom