Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Super duper illegal Oblivion video at Playfuls

Twinfalls

Erudite
Screaming_life said:
DarkUnderlord said:
[*]Casting a fireball while still carrying a sword. Hrmm... Not sure on that one.

It would be cool if it was an ability specific to the battlemage class but not others and others had their own advantages/disadvantages.

Or just a specific skill - "Armed Spell-casting" or somesuch.

fnordcircle said:
I wish the accuracy of the compass was tied to an 'outdoorsman' skill (Your character noticing a barely-worn path) or only worked for places you had been to before. Can't wait for someone to mod that thing out, if it's possible.

Beth - there are some good suggestions from here. You should have run more stuff past this forum before, ya'know....

Balor

Arcane
Hmm.... well, I guess lowering mage skills when you carry weapons (the bigger, then more) - is an easy thing to mod. A skill as such will be easy to add. Too bad that it will have to be added in a hackish way, but oh well. With a mod like my Levelling, it will be unnoticeable anyway :).
About compass and outdoorsman skill...
I highly doubt that it will be possible.
And about 'already visited' - that's really self-evident. Perhaps, also, if someone tells you where it is, it gets shown on the world map (like Balmora, when you ask about it in the begining of MW, for instance) - it gets shown on the compass too. I think that's how it is done, unless devs are completely retarded, that is.
Pointing to cities or dungeons you have not been in, or even heard about is epitome of all that is LAME.
Unless you have a spells like 'locate dungeons' or something. Also somewhat on a lame side, but why not? It least it will be optional.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Balor, there IS a penalty on magic effectiveness if you're wearing armor and are unskilled at armor.

And Twinfalls, go back and re-read my post. The guy in dwarven armor outside the shrine was placed there for the demo. So was the deer. It was a specific sequence of vignettes, some from the game, some specifically made for E3, and all roughly 5 months old.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I'm seriously hoping that the inventory interface doesn't end up like that on the pc... I LOATHE conselish lists you select your equipment from. Having to deal with sublists for different types of items will make me have to kill somone... and then that'd be on Bethesda's conscience!

Oh, and that's not a threat... more a risk of me going postal in general. Hrm.

Twinfalls

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
And Twinfalls, go back and re-read my post. The guy in dwarven armor outside the shrine was placed there for the demo. So was the deer. It was a specific sequence of vignettes, some from the game, some specifically made for E3, and all roughly 5 months old.

So there will not be any deranged PCP-snorting freaks outside dungeons who simply make a bee-line for your x/y coordinate and start swinging?

Can we talk to these people, if our personality skill is high enough, or will they simpy just not be there anymore?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
It depends. Maybe there won't be anyone outside a shrine. Maybe there will be wolves nearby. Maybe there'll be a bandit camp outside of it. Maybe it really WILL be guarded. The guy was placed there for the demo.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Okay, but when it is guarded, will there be more depth to the guard than in MW? Will we be able to talk to the guy? Will we get a chance to ask (if our Personality is high enough) who pays him to guard the place, and why? Or will he just charge us?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Possible, sure.

But actual?

What I am asking is whether those NPCs that you find in the wild, who tend to just charge you, are given some background, some dialogue, some depth?

Micmu

Magister
Twinfalls said:
What I am asking is whether those NPCs that you find in the wild, who tend to just charge you, are given some background, some dialogue, some depth?
Why do you think they would manually infuse all 1000 NPCs with individual personalities or even background stories?
Clearly, common bandits & mad cultists (non-quest related) will share common wiki topics, but you'll never be able to talk to them anyway (maybe with some "calm" spell but where's the point?).

Twinfalls

Erudite
Fair enough, I was just hoping for something more than we got in MW for these characters.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Sorry Twinfalls, I haven't seen the entire game yet :) There could very well be bandits you can reason with -- it all depends on how they're set up.

Sarvis

Erudite
You're never going to let us know if dual wielding is in, are you <b>MrSmileyFaceDude</b>? :(

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Sarvis said:
You're never going to let us know if dual wielding is in, are you <b>MrSmileyFaceDude</b>? :(

It has been known for a while on the TES boards that dual wielding is not in. take my word for it. Or read the FAQ on w4oblivion.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I thought others had already answered that for you. There wasn't any dual wield in Morrowind, either.

Sarvis

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I thought others had already answered that for you. There wasn't any dual wield in Morrowind, either.

I might have missed it...

*sigh* I hate when there's no dual wield... :(

crpgnut

Augur
MSFD-in the demo the pc takes some alchemy ingredients but there is no change to the number of mushrooms shown on the ground. Is there some type of indicator to show whether or not a container has any items? If I highlight the mushrooms, will it say something like fungus (4), etc.?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Basically plants work exactly the same as they did in Morrowind. Plants are organic containers. The plant stays when you harvest from it, and then you can't get any more stuff from it until it refills after enough time has passed. There's no highlight text other than the type of plant -- it just tells you when you activate the plant whether you got anything from it or not. Then when the ingredient is in your inventory, depending on your alchemy skill you can see what effects the ingredient has when mixed into potions.

Gwendo

Augur
Just a little questions: the bookshop woman had voice. I'm wondering if there will be secondary NPCs with voice, or only the main quest related NPCs will be voiced. What will it be?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
All dialogue is fully voiced. There are three main NPCs who have specific voices (Patrick Stewart's the Emperor, Sean Bean is his heir, and Terence Stamp is "the bad guy".) Everyone else is fully voiced by voice actors who performed entire races and genders (for example, Lynda Carter voiced all the female Nords, as she did for Morrowind.)

There are also recording and lipsynching tools built in to the editor, so mod makers can add their own voice assets.

HardCode

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:
Why the fuck didn't they just ust Patrick Stewart's face in the game. When he lets his beard grow out he looks more like a king then that long-haired slightly feminine looking homosexual they are currently using.

MUCH more expensive royalties to the actor.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I liked the video, and I'll definitely be buying the game, but here's several issues I'd like to highlight about the video:

1) It's many months old. As Tintin noted, the persuasion interface has been rehauled, much like the GUI and the enemy health stats.

2) The character in the video is invincible. His health never goes down and he kills monsters in a few hits. Daedra were never that easy.

3) The starts out with a sword and armor in the cell because the character is 'hacked'. This is not the case in the final game. They just wanted to show off light refracting off the character's sword and armor and how every object illuminates the room. It's a new feature in the Geforce 7800 that allows for pretty lighting effects.

4) The traps were freaking awesome. Whoever said that physics traps were impossible should probably take that back.

5) The dungeons are pretty interesting. A huge step up from Morrowind. The ones in the video looked fairly big, and filled with neat traps.

6) The bow is awesome. I like how arrows stick into wood and flesh, but bounce off harder surfaces.

7) The character in the movie could directly access areas on his map without having visited them before. I doubt that this is the case in the real game. You'll probably have to walk to the besieged town in which the Oblivion gate has opened before you can teleport there. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Even if it's possible to access the location after receiving the quest I'd probably walk there myself instead of teleporting.

8) The king should have Patrick Stewart's likeness. It's just silly right now.

9) The inventory is consolish. I can deal with that, but it's terrible.

Gwendo

Augur
3) The starts out with a sword and armor in the cell because the character is 'hacked'. This is not the case in the final game. They just wanted to show off light refracting off the character's sword and armor and how every object illuminates the room. It's a new feature in the Geforce 7800 that allows for pretty lighting effects.

Only GeForce 7800? So ATI users won't get the full experience? :(

About the voices... Great! :)

Balor

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Balor, there IS a penalty on magic effectiveness if you're wearing armor and are unskilled at armor.
*slaps forehead*
Since when developers of the huge game companies became illiterate?
"Armed" != "Armored" :P
I mean a penalty to casting when you carrying a freaking WEAPON.
And I guess I'll do it.
Btw, about plants... so, my Herbalism will still be popular, w00t! :)
I even have some more ideas how to make collection of plants more realistic... we'll see when Oblivion ships.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I bet it's a TWIMTBP title too and that THAT feature won't work on 6800 cards.
Please, no more vendor-specific crap! :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom