Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Super duper illegal Oblivion video at Playfuls

Rulion

Liturgist
truekaiser said:
DarkUnderlord said:
The only thing that was impressive to me in that video were the graphics. Bethesda need to learn that you need more than good graphics to make a good game.

you also forgot to point out that the monsters basically stayed in the same place till the pc came into their sight.

1.the guy at the ruins was standing still till you saw him at which point he rushed at you.

2.the zombies were placed in the line of sight of the pc so they would go after the player as soon as he turned the corner or entered the room..

3. the first two skeletons did not seem to notice the player till he already jumped down.

4.the second two did not move till the pc was in the line of sight.

5. the lich did not enter the room till you came close to the power crystal(big cliche in rpg's monster guarding a artifact doesn't appear till the player either a. has it already or b. is about to grab it)

6. the goblins did not notice the loud thunks of the arrows hitting the bucket or the sound of the arrow hitting stone which was louder.

7. log trap goblins were put so they would see the player like the zombies were. the noise of the trap going off should of alerted the other goblins.

8. goblin b did not react when goblin a got a arrow in his head when he would seen or at least heard goblin a getting hit.

9. goblin d did not react when he saw goblin c getting hit by the spike trap.
Do you read all the posts before making one yourself? A couple of the things you had issues with were already addressed.

From MSFD:

"Balor, there IS a penalty on magic effectiveness if you're wearing armor and are unskilled at armor.

And Twinfalls, go back and re-read my post. The guy in dwarven armor outside the shrine was placed there for the demo. So was the deer. It was a specific sequence of vignettes, some from the game, some specifically made for E3, and all roughly 5 months old."

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I laughed out loud when that Bard character started talking, he sounded like Jeffrey Maynard, from that "Helen Keller" episode of Southpark :)

I think what fazed me the most was when Todd's awesomedude shot an arrow at the suspended bucket and it just started flailing wildly, bouncing up and down like someone was battering it with a club or something. I'm thinking this might be a side-effect of the cheating character, and him having very high marksman skill, but it seems like a really bad example to use, while raving about the realistic physics system.

truekaiser

Scholar
Gwendo said:
3) The starts out with a sword and armor in the cell because the character is 'hacked'. This is not the case in the final game. They just wanted to show off light refracting off the character's sword and armor and how every object illuminates the room. It's a new feature in the Geforce 7800 that allows for pretty lighting effects.

Only GeForce 7800? So ATI users won't get the full experience? :(

About the voices... Great! :)

no hdr is a direct x effect. it's not limited just to geforce cards.
but you hit on the main purpose of nvidia's 'the way it was ment to be played' program.
Do you read all the posts before making one yourself? A couple of the things you had issues with were already addressed.

yes and it was not addressed. my complaints are about the ai of the monsters.

on a side note i do not trust msfd. the game is not out, his pay check depends on how well the game does. so he will say anything to get people to buy the game. untill a up to date video is leaked showing what the proper gameplay is like this one is basicly as good as it gets for deciding what the game is like.
i know i am going to get flack for what i am about to say, but i don't care.
personaly, i will be aquireing a pirated copy first to see what the game is actualy like before spending the 60+ bucks it will cost. why? even if you return the game msfd and the company he works for still gets the money from the copy you bought. your refund comes out of the profit of what ever store you bought the copy from.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
truekaiser said:
on a side note i do not trust msfd.

That's your prerogative, but on the other hand, screw you. :)

truekaiser said:
i know i am going to get flack for what i am about to say, but i don't care.
personaly, i will be aquireing a pirated copy first to see what the game is actualy like before spending the 60+ bucks it will cost.

So you don't trust me AND you want to steal from me. Nice. IP trace, guys?

Here's a clue for you, since you don't have one. If you're not sure about the game, wait until you've read comments from people you DO trust before playing it. Or wait and buy a used copy. Or wait until it's in the bargain bin. Or sign up for GameFly and rent it.

There is NO LEGITIMATE JUSTIFICATION for piracy.

Drakron

Arcane
Of course there is, software price is the same global without any reguards to the local economy ... something that is afordable in the US its a luxury in the Philipines.

And we dont "steal" from you if we download Oblivion (that I will not do, its simply going to be too large and take too much time ... if it was Artificial Girl 2 I would), we "steal" from the publishers, you get your paycheck reguardless of sales unless Bethsoft offers a bonus based on sales figures and if that is true then ... he he ... we are very justified in thinking you are pitching Oblivion for personal gain.

Oh and people that download games either remove then after they played and dont like it or if they like it they just buy the original if they can, Piracy rise was because the lack of demos (and no, a retal does not count as a demo).

Balor

Arcane
Heh, remember, who said about "People who pirate games would not have bought it anyway!"?
Sometimes, it's not because they are being jackasses - just because they physically lack 60$ to pay for a goddamn game.
Like, I've downloaded Oblivion (well, impossible in my case, but that's an example anyway). No money for devs.
I've neither downloaded, nor bought Oblivion. You know what? Also no money for devs :P.
And when there is no difference, why pay more? :D

Anyway, in our world of 'information should be free' and shit, you must concentrate your effort on not just making a game people would play, but also making players want to buy it, even given the alternative of getting it for free.
Like, I would never download Hammer&Sickle or Space Rangers, simply because I liked their games so much, and see that they want to make a good game, not just earn some cash.
You should start with showing the playerbase that you actually care for them, that you listen to their complains, implement what they suggest, correct the bugs as soon as possible, etc. (Stands true for above games, for instance).

However, when you see that company makes the game not because they love it, not because they want to create a masterpiece - but to make cash...
Of course, this will never work for them.

So, they'll have to resort to copy protection, suing pirate groups and whatever.
Like with already mentioned :) Mount&Blade - a lot o people were complaining not about it costing money, but, actually, that they would pay more because they enjoyed it so much.
But, again, that is only feasible when company have it's goal to make an outstanding product (and earning money is an added bonus), not 'make the product that will earn us as much money as it's possible, by maximizing income by catering to the 'lowest common denominator and removing all other features that may cost money, if even it’ll give players more enjoyment".
And you know what?
Bethsoft is the company that does all above.
Well, of course. But does it really matter? Laws are crated by humans. Even 10 commandments are, more often then not, a subject for debate :P.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Except it makes you feel all cool and rebelly. FIGTH TEH POWAH!!!1

I plan on borrowing Oblivion from the one of my friends who gets tired of it first, so i hope you haven't made it too addictive, or i might never get to play it :P

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Drakron said:
And we dont "steal" from you if we download Oblivion (that I will not do, its simply going to be too large and take too much time ... if it was Artificial Girl 2 I would), we "steal" from the publishers

Except that we're publishing Oblivion, too. :)

Drakron

Arcane
Not in europe, also I doubt you be publishing it on the pacific area.

truekaiser

Scholar
Drakron said:
Of course there is, software price is the same global without any reguards to the local economy ... something that is afordable in the US its a luxury in the Philipines.

And we dont "steal" from you if we download Oblivion (that I will not do, its simply going to be too large and take too much time ... if it was Artificial Girl 2 I would), we "steal" from the publishers, you get your paycheck reguardless of sales unless Bethsoft offers a bonus based on sales figures and if that is true then ... he he ... we are very justified in thinking you are pitching Oblivion for personal gain.

Oh and people that download games either remove then after they played and dont like it or if they like it they just buy the original if they can, Piracy rise was because the lack of demos (and no, a retal does not count as a demo).

it's a luxury no matter what country you live in.
60 bucks is alot of money, for me that is just over half the amount i need per month to pay my bills.
the rental service msfd mentioned would add to those monthly bills as well as the fact that i would have to put up with their drm and spyware on my machine.

crpgnut

Augur
MSFD comes here because he is passionate about his product and because it's good to hear the opposing viewpoint. It is probably also some nice comic relief. Some of the people here can't even buy a clue, which is always entertaining.

Piracy can't be stopped but it is self destructive to the extreme. If you're interested enough in Oblivion to download it, you should pay for it. It's not a necessity, so the poor Phillipino excuse is just that, an excuse. I can't easily afford a Rolls Royce, but I don't go out and steal one. The sad thing is this: If you steal Oblivion for pc then that's one less sale on the pc side. If enough people do this, TES 5 will be released as a console only title and then you lose out completely. Piracy is much less prevalent on the consoles so they can make more money with less risk.

Rulion

Liturgist
Not trust MSFD? He's one of the few people on this forum (along with Shagnak), that have always seemed nice and constructive with every post.

As for the game, I just saw the movie and I loved it. Sure, it could be better (ie, no Wiki dialogue), but I think it's going to be a really fun game. Hopefully combat will be somewhat slower in the final product - maybe Todd's ultra-buffed character/weakened enemies for the demo just threw me off.

Is that Todd's voice? He sounds like a hyperactive midget.

Drakron

Arcane
Thats BS, console is as much or more pirated that PC gamers ... the only diference is its easier to download and install a PC game that a console game, also the console itself have to be altered to run pirated games.

The reason games are more profitable in consoles is the retal system, there is always a amount of sales that will be made because of retals as such system does not exist on PC, also consoles require a smaller testing circle making production cost lower.

android

Novice
Speaking of piracy, I would be really interested to know how many full-priced games per month you could buy after you pay all the necessities (bills, food, etc) Assuming you are old enough to have a proper job. For me it's one game...

truekaiser

Scholar
android said:
Speaking of piracy, I would be really interested to know how many full-priced games per month you could buy after you pay all the necessities (bills, food, etc) Assuming you are old enough to have a proper job. For me it's one game...

once a month if i skimp on the saving for a new car that won't fall apart fund.

Avin

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

No????????????????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will buy Oblivion. Hell, I'll have to upgrade my PC to play NWN2 and Oblivion. Maybe I should steal a new video card :cool:

MSFD, i'm terribly lazy to look for the specs for oblivion, what video card and processor will i need? could you please point or you are just as lazy as me? :wink:

Micmu

Magister
It would be nice to have game optimized for both nVidia and ATI GPUs, not just ATI (Morrowind). And more consistent usage of malloc/free wouldn't hurt either.

One Wolf

Scholar
on a side note i do not trust msfd.

don't be too hard on the man, after all its a fucking miracle that he even posts here at all. how many other major-label devs post on this site? i'm sure he wants to cash in and roll around in money like everybody else, but he seems pretty honest (even if he got a zipped-lip about the Oblivion specifics).

Is that Todd's voice? He sounds like a hyperactive midget.

so how about it MSFD.......IS todd a hyperactive midget?

Micmu

Magister
Shagnak said:
micmu said:
It would be nice to have game optimized for both nVidia and ATI GPUs, not just ATI (Morrowind).
Is this the "official line", or just your observation?
I played it with a GF4, you see, and it seemed to go alright.
Cells loaded up noticeably faster on ATI cards. Especially, when you entered the interior cell, then went back outside. Switch was instantaneous (caching?). On any nVidia card, there was always an annoying loading screen (or just darkness) every time you changed interior/exterior. Using the same other hardware and ATI card wasn't so much faster than nVidia. Observation.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
xbxox360 uses ATI, so if they were to develop a game for the xbox360 AND PC dont you think they would favor the ATI card? I'm such a sherlock homes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom