Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Support Nazism by Supporting Grimoire

MisterStone

Arcane
cleve2.jpg

This game is gonna kick ass!

Krancor

Scholar
Is one of your characters a sea horse?

I am confused about the "?" on the first screen shown. Is that supposed to be a 'talk' icon? If so, why does each character have one?

dagorkan

Arbiter
In my game the cursor changes to a question mark when I meet some creature I can talk to, but it's not on the character boxes... where Stone's question icon is I can move between different options (using the arrows) to view magic, skills, etc and there's a different looking icon (? in a bag) for inventory.

That sea horse looking thing is actually a kind of Dragon race (though I can't tell how they're different from humans, their inventory looks the same with the same equipable areas). The others are (in order top to bottom left to right)

Wolfin Tracker/Ranger
Feyfolk Adept/Thaumaturge
Aeorb Conjuror/Wizard
Feyfolk Talebearer/Bard
Leonar Disciple/Cleric
Human Guardsman/Warrior
Barrower Pickpocket/Thief

Here are the character info type screens:

grimoire03a.jpg

(Stats, Race/class choices, I think the 4 stats at the bottom are Hit points, Morale, Vitality (fatigue?) and Magic)

grimoire03b.jpg

(Skills, there are two other categories, Physical and Mental with 8 to 10 in each)

grimoire03c.jpg

(I believe this is attack resistances. Even basic enemies have Charmed, Mesmerized and Paralyzed my characters during combat.)

Keldorn

Scholar
Holy FUCK, look at those attributes !!! Cleve IS a genius. Seriously, NO sarcasm here.

Dammiit, I wanna play Grimoire !!!!!!!!

AIIYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
Just FYI, DOSBox is at version 0.72 now.
Thx, are there any significant improvements?

Keldorn said:
Holy FUCK, look at those attributes !!! Cleve IS a genius. Seriously, NO sarcasm here.

Dammiit, I wanna play Grimoire !!!!!!!!

AIIYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, 11 attributes and almost 30 skills, you don't get that from Bioware or Gothic or the Twitcher (a whole 3 stats IIRC).

kris

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
My native intelligence is like a royal genetic flush to your social pair of deuces. I can learn more about climatology in one year of reading (I've actually been studying the subject for 9 years now) than you can in eight years of university including your doctorate, which was probably a bizarre screed about the danger posed by decomposing baby nappies to the earth's orbit.

Explains why Grimoire never was released.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
kris said:
My native intelligence is like a royal genetic flush to your social pair of deuces. I can learn more about climatology in one year of reading (I've actually been studying the subject for 9 years now) than you can in eight years of university including your doctorate, which was probably a bizarre screed about the danger posed by decomposing baby nappies to the earth's orbit.

Explains why you've never been released, pending psychiatric review.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
dagorkan said:
That interface doesn't look much like mine.

My first GUI way back in 1997 was really crude stuff. It was something I had very primitive experience with writing. I didn't know how to order redraws, send messages or do repaints correctly.

So after that version you have there, the entire GUI was rewritten from scratch, all of it with full object inheritance and proper messaging. The more current version looks and feels much better.

I had a play of the old DOS beta a while ago and I found it almost unplayable because of the poor GUI responsiveness and other glitches in the graphic presentation.

I had come from the Commodore 64 background and what I considered a "good" GUI back then was something usually written as a one-off to support that game in particular. Although I had an excellent GUI I wrote for the game EPOCH, it was not modeled along the Windows paradigm and there was no stateless maintenance of the display. So apparently I didn't know it all.

I did explain this to Sir-Tech when I was working for them 1992-1993 but they insisted on having me write everything (from scratch! They wouldn't even buy a GUI library to give me a starting point, as Bane and Wiz 7 had!) all on my own. Then after I only had it to an alpha version in six months (wrote editors, utilities, support tools, everything) they complained the GUI was laggy and unresponsive. These cheap bastards were paying me $125 a week to singlehandedly write an entire game which the predecessor, CDS, had employed a full team of at least 8 people. I was not really given time to learn or experiment much, they just kept demanding I "finish" the game. (?) While their own teams worked in Watcom 32-bit stateside, they insisted we work in DOS Real Mode because they would not front for the Watcom IDE and SDK. We were not permitted to use any of the code from previous Wizardry. You thought I was crazy. Sir-Tech must have been buying up half the crack in New York City on a daily basis.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Your game will likely do fairly well since the Codex alone is full of 'sperging and semi-'sperging goons and fans of classic RPGs.

I, for one, enjoy little more than looking at vast fields of numbers and nurturing them like a gardener.

But you haven't responded to me! Why your hubris? Why in nearly every post pander your perceived or real superiority? Let's assume it's true - and I don't doubt all of it; I've -seen- your C64 programs, this man is incredibly talented - what's wrong with some humility? You'll just make people not take you seriously anymore if you keep mentioning your feats over and over again and insist that hardly anyone is clever enough to understand you, if it be true or not.

Or is it just a fun little game you play, enjoying the responses?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Jasede said:
Your game will likely do fairly well since the Codex alone is full of 'sperging and semi-'sperging goons and fans of classic RPGs.

I, for one, enjoy little more than looking at vast fields of numbers and nurturing them like a gardener.

But you haven't responded to me! Why your hubris? Why in nearly every post pander your perceived or real superiority? Let's assume it's true - and I don't doubt all of it; I've -seen- your C64 programs, this man is incredibly talented - what's wrong with some humility? You'll just make people not take you seriously anymore if you keep mentioning your feats over and over again and insist that hardly anyone is clever enough to understand you, if it be true or not.

Or is it just a fun little game you play, enjoying the responses?

It's because you love me. A lot. So much, in fact, I have decided to pay extra to have my home phone number unlisted and am now hiring somebody to open my mail for me from now on.

kris

Arcane
kris said:

No, it doesn't really explain that does it? My mental status seemingly have very little to do with the release of a game.

DefJam101

Arcane
kris said:

..Your mom? :roll:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
DefJam101 said:
kris said:

Zinger! It never fails when you bring in the mommas! A rapier like wit!

Hey, instead of quoting all my text, you could quote it all in different colors!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Krancor said:
which of course, nobody with Asperger's would ever fall for, not even for a microsecond. Global warming has no representation in the real world outside of televitz.

ho ho ho

It's hilarious to me when libertarians so vehemently deny gobal warming's very existence, in spite of obvious evidence, just becaue it points to the underlying fallacy that they believe all people are complete separate and independent, which unfortunately is never true.

You don't know where you're at most of the time. You're utterly lost.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Ear ... 975016.cms

You should realize it is an incredible honor for someone of my intellectual calibre to even deign to correct you. Seriously. You're just not going to get that lucky most of the time. Those who know, often don't tell. Those who don't know, don't even know what they don't know.

Krancor

Scholar
Krancor said:
which of course, nobody with Asperger's would ever fall for, not even for a microsecond. Global warming has no representation in the real world outside of televitz.

ho ho ho

It's hilarious to me when libertarians so vehemently deny gobal warming's very existence, in spite of obvious evidence, just becaue it points to the underlying fallacy that they believe all people are complete separate and independent, which unfortunately is never true.

You don't know where you're at most of the time. You're utterly lost.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Ear ... 975016.cms

You should realize it is an incredible honor for someone of my intellectual calibre to even deign to correct you. Seriously. You're just not going to get that lucky most of the time. Those who know, often don't tell. Those who don't know, don't even know what they don't know.
Laffo.

Let's look at the source here. Why is the word 'economic' in a science news article link. Hmm. MAKES YOU WONDER.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Moggs said:
Lordy, I'm regretting getting into this at all...

I'm not sure I follow your arguments about height of CO2 at all. I presume you mean reflection (bouncing of light rays), not refraction (bending of light rays)? And the amount of heat radiated by a planet and the amount of CO2 that radiated heat has to travel through are the same, regardless of the "height" of the CO2?

I'm pretty sure it's refraction that happens, such as the way the sky is blue, as opposed to a perfect reflection. Gases refract light, not reflect them. Hell, even greenhouses refract light to work now that I think about it. I'm pretty sure the higher the index of refraction, the better that gas is to be a greenhouse gas.

Be very skeptical about "climate change" on other planets, especially when this climate change is over periods comparable to the orbital or spin periods. These two can couple together in some fairly complex ways (precession and nutation).

I'm more skeptical about when many of the bodies in the solar system begin heating at the same time we are, but someone says our heating is entirely localized. Also, all the other planets heating up are all localized to their own area of space. Throw in that the Sun is being very active at the same time and it becomes pretty clear that everything probably isn't localized to just those specific planets.

"Global warming" is not a good term for what happens. It's a very non-linear system, so climate change will cause some regions to warm, some to freeze.

Well, I didn't coin the term, and saying, "climate change" is kind of like saying, "water wet".

Anyway, I agree with you that Venus is as hot as it is because of the atmosphere. It has to be the case when you consider the dark side of Mercury or the craters on the poles there. If Mercury had an atmosphere of any type, it would be much hotter than it is.

That said, it's nearly impossible to say something like CO2 = HAWT and make the comparason between the Earth and Venus. If CO2 worked on Earth the same way it did on Venus, we'd never cool down. The oceans here on Earth cast off CO2 when they warm up. If the CO2 on Earth caused the greenhouse effect the way it does on Venus, we wouldn't cool down. Warming -> Oceans make CO2 -> More Warming -> Oceans make more CO2 -> Endless cycle. CO2 just doesn't drive warming on Earth the way it does on Venus. In fact, it's more like: Warming -> Oceans make CO2 -> Cooling.

Krancor said:
Why is the word 'economic' in a science news article link.

Because cooler periods suck for economies and warmer periods are good for economies!

Moggs

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm pretty sure the higher the index of refraction, the better that gas is to be a greenhouse gas.

Right, because it would REFLECT more light back to Earth. If heat/light is heading toward space and it gets turned around to head back to Earth, it has to have been reflected. Anyway, that's just terminology I guess.

Throw in that the Sun is being very active at the same time and it becomes pretty clear that everything probably isn't localized to just those specific planets.

Saint, this is a very common misconception. Let's clear this up here and now: Solar activity has nothing to do with how much heat the Earth (or any other planet) receives from the Sun. The solar constant (the flux of electromagnetic energy the Sun puts out) is just that: pretty much constant.

An increase in solar activity is a change in the magnetic field of the Sun (this in turn can lead to an increase in X-rays, but they are less than 1/100th a percent of the total light output of the Sun, which is very strongly peaked in the visible). Now, having said that, there is an interesting theory that as the Sun's field gets stronger, less cosmic rays make it to Earth. If cosmic rays can somehow seed cloud formation, then that could possibly affect the Earth's climate. However, every single link in that chain is so far completely without solid scientific basis (definition of without SOLID scientific basis: For every one Economics in India Today article Cleve links to, there exist at least 100 proper scientific journals saying the opposite). Even is this does turn out to be what's happening at Earth (the scientific community is VERY skeptical), they are very much secondary effects, and there's no chance the same mechanism is occurring at Mars, Pluto, etc. because they don't have tropospheric water.

Well, I didn't coin the term, and saying, "climate change" is kind of like saying, "water wet".

Yep, it's not great. How about "climate fuckage"?

That said, it's nearly impossible to say something like CO2 = HAWT and make the comparason between the Earth and Venus. If CO2 worked on Earth the same way it did on Venus, we'd never cool down. The oceans here on Earth cast off CO2 when they warm up. If the CO2 on Earth caused the greenhouse effect the way it does on Venus, we wouldn't cool down. Warming -> Oceans make CO2 -> More Warming -> Oceans make more CO2 -> Endless cycle. CO2 just doesn't drive warming on Earth the way it does on Venus. In fact, it's more like: Warming -> Oceans make CO2 -> Cooling.

You're nearly there, but missing one key element: As the Earth heats up, rainfall increases (evaporation of surface water increases the atmospheric water concentration). This washes CO2 out of the atmosphere into the ocean, where it gets safely locked away in sedimentary rock. This decreases the atmospheric CO2 concentration, decreasing temperature, decreasing rainfall, resulting in negative feedback. A similar negative feedback kicks in if you try decrease the temperature. This nice "thermostat" doesn't work at Venus because of the lack of water.

DefJam101

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
kris said:

Zinger! It never fails when you bring in the mommas! A rapier like wit!

This is not difficult to understand, try again:

Zinger! It never fails when you reverse what they said on them in a fantastic pre-teen "come-back"! A rapier like wit!

What's next, "your momma" jokes?

Oh my, the sky is falling!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom