Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I finished the game last night, and it went to become one of my faves of all time. I never cared much for companions, yet I managed to "click" with Jespar. We couldn't
keep our bromance through the end so I had to see him die once per ending :negative:

While the main quest has some of the best scripted pieces ever, even some of the side-questlines are better than most full games. I remember fondly the Ralatha one and the search of the missing "elf".

SO GODDAMN MANY SIDEQUESTS HRRRRRRGH. Bit antsy since I haven't done any main story for a few days but I'm enjoying sidequesting. I'm a bit over 30th level now and my perks are largely complete. Ended up ignoring alchemy because I did a brief test run with that class combo and the explosive fire arrows are cool but I end up shooting my dick off since all enemies immediately charge at me as soon as combat starts. Only real complaint is eventually accepting the existence of Riverville, Duneville, and Fogville as the only non-Ark settlements. I guess you can probably blame it on divine civil engineering, Malphas probably decreed all non-Ark settlements in Enderal would be named whatever-ville.

C4E544481CD286E2B634E9CBD1A8DBCDF6F4F037

Sharpedge

Prophet
Only real complaint is eventually accepting the existence of Riverville, Duneville, and Fogville as the only non-Ark settlements. I guess you can probably blame it on divine civil engineering, Malphas probably decreed all non-Ark settlements in Enderal would be named whatever-ville.
Thalgrad was also a settlement at one point, but other than that they are all ending in ville.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Oddly enough I didn't find a vault inside the bank so I got fuck-all cash, but I did steal a bunch of expensive gems/goblets/clothing/etc.
???

Enter the bank, go to the counter, open up a bank account and get a key for your safe deposit box. Enter the three storied side building of the bank (the door to your right from the counter) where all the safe deposit boxes and one vault room filled with gold bars are located and start looting :). Most boxes can't be picked though, but can only be opened with keys.

The majority of the keys can be found in Ark. Some can be found in other settlements (on the Farmer's Coast for example). Some can be found in the ruins of past settlements (in the Frostcliff Mountains for example). And a few can be obtained by completing side and factions quests.

Watch out for the security guards if you open boxes with stolen keys. They somehow know it's not your box.

By the way, you can also buy blue prints and books at the bank. Furthermore, there are two houses up for sale in Ark [one at Ark's Marketplace (1200 gold pieces) and one in the Nobles Quarters (7000 gold pieces)] which can be bought at the bank as well.

You can also obtain shares of companies in this game which you can bring to the bank in order to receive a regular income of up to 50 gold pieces a day.

Now I just gotta find a fence so I can hock all my pricey stolen goods, which I assume will be in the undercity.

There's one in the Undercity indeed. Another one is located in Duneville should the one in Ark run out of money. ;-) I think there was a third one as well, but I can't remember where anymore.

Guess there's the general crafting skill too but I might skip that even though the loading screens have mentioned some of the best gear can only be crafted.

It's true that the best armors for each classes can only be crafted, however you need 75 to 80 points in Handicraft and then the armors are only just a bit better (like 10%) than the best armors that can be found out in the wild.

It's kinda weird but the more I play Enderal the more I'm enjoying it. Started off struggling to ignore the Skyrim feeling and now 15 hours into it I'm really enjoying the story and lore for the setting, general exploration, questing, advancing my character, pretty much everything. Even the combat's feeling better since things are pretty lethal both to me and to enemies.

It was the same for me as well. I started playing this game with the lowest expectations one could have. After all, the game isn't an actual game, but just some kind of mod or so I had thought. I totally underestimated Enderal because of that and missed A LOT of the game on my first playthrough as I didn't take it seriously, but just blazed through its side and main quests. (I only checked it out in the first place, because it's on the Codex's list of Top 101 PC RPGs).

I really only started fully appreciating the game on my second playthrough knowing that paying attention to the story, the lore and what characters have to say does actually pay off. =)

To be fair though, the game has a terrible early game in my opinion, even more so than most games do: It starts with this weird dream sequence which you'll only be able to fully understand after you've finished the main quest at least once, otherwise it will just confuse the shit out of you.

Next comes the terribad scene on the boat with its bad dialogues. The cutscene of your vision that follows only helps to confuse you even more, as once again, you'll only be able to understand it after you've finished the game at least once (while there are quite a few scenes in the game that won't make much sense to you until you've completed the main quest at least once, you can figure out A LOT of what's (really) going on if you pay close attention to the things the game is showing and telling you through characters, events and texts)

Then you finally arrive in Enderal, but the beach and the Old Temple are kinda meh. I only started having fun once I had left the Old Temple and made my way to the two Apothecarii and then to Riverville. However, I soon got disillusioned by the lack of quests (just one main quest, five side quests and the bounty quests for the entire Sun Coast region) as the exploration aspect of the game alone wasn't enough to satisfy me.

So in short, the game reeeeeally takes its time convincing you that it's actually worth playing. However, it's one of the rare games that gets better the longer you play it (it's usually the other way round with most games xD).

Can confirm. Just got to skill tree place last night and so far has felt like shitty fanfic.

I’d pretty much forgotten how to play Skyrim itself so will take awhile to get back up to speed. Realized I’d never even gotten SE.

Will I regret just playing vanilla Enderal without even SE?

Sharpedge

Prophet
It does crash a fair bit without the SE, especially when you enter Ark. If you are willing to suffer with crashes due to the game running out of memory, then playing without the SE should be fine, but I would recommend making the switch otherwise.

Sharpedge

Prophet
It does crash a fair bit without the SE, especially when you enter Ark. If you are willing to suffer with crashes due to the game running out of memory, then playing without the SE should be fine, but I would recommend making the switch otherwise.

Hm, interesting. The game almost never crashed for me. Then again, the PC I played Enderal on has 16GB RAM, so maybe that's why I was spared?

I haven't had time to replay the game with the special edition, so I can't comment on the differences/improvements, I am afraid.
My PC has 32 GB ram, but that shouldn't help at all - oldrim is limited to 2 GB ram so anything over that shouldn't help anyhow, the game is just hitting its natural limitation. The SE is not limited in this regard hence that is no longer an issue. In my experience the game very rarely crashed outside of Ark, it was only if you were spending a lot of time moving between zones within Ark that it becomes a problem. I am fairly absentminded and would often forget things, so I would end up loading/unloading/reloading zones as I moved between them with the sign posts over and over again which would cause the game to crash.

Salvo

Arcane
Enderal is good but man, playing on the Skyrim engine / mechanics is painful.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't mind it so much originally, but definitely painful having forgotten all the key mapping.

Multi-headed Cow, my man, why have you stopped posting updates on your game progress?!?
Hadn't come to anything leaping out at me to post about! Though if you're jonesing for an update then an update you shall get!

Yeah, did the egg quest because it was somewhat reasonable (Only 4-5 eggs in each region, AND they had birds connected to each nest so there was a clear thing to look for to try to find them) unlike trying to get all the magic symbols and shit. The birds were the main reason I ended up doing it, was fairly fun to keep my eyes glued to the sky and then run them down to find the eggs.
Home's the cheap one in the merchant district just because I hit up the merchant district constantly, while I rarely make a trip to the noble district. If/when I replay I'll probably park my ass in the noble district. Plus I technically haven't even gone inside my own house yet, I just bought it on a whim since it was under 1,000 zorkmids due to giant rhetoric skill and I've mostly got my skills where I want them anyway, so I'm at a point where money doesn't seem to matter any more.
Treasures of the destitute was a pain in the ass, I spent way more fucking time in that area than I should have. Not sure I would've stuck to it normally but I was chatting with a buddy at the time so crawling all over the fucking place looking for secrets was interspersed with bullshitting so it worked out.
Scorpion's tail, my character's Kilean and as a dick-ass thief she promised me more money than the Sickle, and the guy running the Sickle DOES talk mad shit about Kileans constantly which means I'm obliged to rob him. More than I've already done on my own time, at least. I GOTS TO DO IT. If it makes you feel any better though once I got the note implicating the Sickle in the bullshit I went to the guild house to try to find the guildmaster since I was going to question him about it, but he was nowhere to be found. Little things like that are one of my very minor complaints about Enderal, the quest design tends more toward TES than having a bunch of different options. Many quests are straightforward but this is one where it feels like there obviously should be some points you could flip. Definitely doesn't ruin the game but it'd be nice, buuuuuuut given the size and quality of it and it's a free damn mod it's still obscenely good.

Main quest progress spoilers:
Haven't done a ton there but I did the silver plates. Finding my corpse was interesting, still not sure what's going on with that. My best guess is something like I'm from another universe and got dropped into this one where I died, just because of how magic works in the setting. In fact it has me interested enough that at some point I'm going to sit down and read the in-game books talking about magic and talking about the butcher of Ark since I think both of those are likely to help me straighten out what's going on. Not sure I trust the high ones when they say Arantheal and... The... Nehrim dude aren't emissaries. I guess it might be, if I think about it. From personal experience emissaries seem to get super powers, and I haven't seen anything super powered about Arantheal or Nehrim dude, and the only reason either one is in the running for emissary is because they say they are. I still don't trust the beacon at all but maybe I'm being paranoid, but it feels like it didn't work in the past. I guess the theory is they didn't activate it but it seems like it was pretty fucking built and they had everything planned out so I have doubts. Firespark going bonkers was unexpected and a pretty cool moment. Haven't done more than that because I'm doing merchant and thief quests now. Curious to see where the thief quests go too, had a dream to go back to the lair and report in but I'm wrapped up in merchant quests now so I'll get to it eventually.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

We need a final solution to the woman question, but more importantly HOLY SHIT that boss fight was annoying. Admittedly a boss fight situation is kind of a worst case scenario for my kind of character, and a double-bossfight is even worse, but DAMN. I swear I went through hundreds of arrows and chugged so much healing and ambrosia my character will be pissing non-stop for a week. Was a fun questline (And her fucking you over at the end is fitting, even if it's a little dorky that my thief character is screwed into unconsciousness when there's a relic worth tens of thousands of zorkmids in his possession) despite the boss fight and the few clunky parts like not being able to talk to the guildmaster even after siding with her. Though looking back on it now it's probably safe to say that he was already kidnapped by that point and it just hadn't been noticed yet.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

We need a final solution to the woman question, but more importantly HOLY SHIT that boss fight was annoying. Admittedly a boss fight situation is kind of a worst case scenario for my kind of character, and a double-bossfight is even worse, but DAMN. I swear I went through hundreds of arrows and chugged so much healing and ambrosia my character will be pissing non-stop for a week. Was a fun questline (And her fucking you over at the end is fitting, even if it's a little dorky that my thief character is screwed into unconsciousness when there's a relic worth tens of thousands of zorkmids in his possession) despite the boss fight and the few clunky parts like not being able to talk to the guildmaster even after siding with her. Though looking back on it now it's probably safe to say that he was already kidnapped by that point and it just hadn't been noticed yet.
What quest is this?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

What quest is this?

Merchant Guild quest for certain artifact involving emissary from some remote island?

Haven't finished the Rhalata questline yet, but
the conversation with the Father was neat. For being a 400 year old hermaphrodite crime boss cultist I like the angle of being both soft spoken and oddly personable. The main thing that made me want to drop a post down though is the whole leaving your body behind thing. The Father specifically mentioned "I don't know why but I'm drawn to you" when we were talking and I asked why a mercenary gets an audience when the cultists rarely do. On top of that the butcher of Ark assassin dude seemingly had an extra body (If he wasn't just crazy) and they seemingly had some divine connection or some such since he mentioned when they got orders they were never wrong. There's enough wiggle room there for more reasonable explanations but given I saw my corpse lying at the bottom of a dungeon I assume there's magical mumbo jumbo happening and they're either involved with it or using it somehow. I'm only at around 1-6 books of the butcher of Ark but I'm assuming I'll find more of them when I go on the expedition into the mountains since that's butcher-central. Holding off on reading them until I get the full collection so I'm less likely to miss shit, but I suppose I might read what I've got before I go into the mountains since that might detail something. The odd part with the body nonsense is that I didn't seem to have anything to do with a painted room or whatever. Also no mention of the cloaked chick, unless that was the Father which I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it wasn't but now I'm leery about everything.

One final thing of note, in the Father's lair there was a cauldron to make that dreamflower potion in. Actually got all the components EXCEPT the dreamflower. The merchant questline unfortunately said "Hey go get some dreamflower from Duneville" but that was some screwed up dialog, in reality you get something else.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
One final thing of note, in the Father's lair there was a cauldron to make that dreamflower potion in. Actually got all the components EXCEPT the dreamflower. The merchant questline unfortunately said "Hey go get some dreamflower from Duneville" but that was some screwed up dialog, in reality you get something else.
It's a whole questline interwoven with the main quest to get it, and it's completely possible to miss it. Its purpose is to
unlock a secret (ambiguous) ending.

The first quest is called
Secrets
, and you get it fairly early just by following the main quest.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just started it. The atmosphere is excellent and this is AAA quality mod so far.

Skyrim combat engine really hold it back, it's been so long i have forgotten but it's makes ELEX feels like sekiro.

I'll just play mage cos melee probably sucks like skyrim

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Are stat increasing plants traps like gothic where you later can craft perma potions from them and get better results or it's safe to consume immediately?

Sharpedge

Prophet
Stuff about entropy.
I preferred to use Entropy magic for the damage side of it, not for the minions. Its damaging spells do more damage than anything else in the game, but when you use them you need to be careful not to kill yourself. A blend of Entropy for damage and Phasmalism for the minion works out really well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So basically i am gotta do bunch of non combat quests to level up before actively participating in combat like gothic?

The trek to riverville was basically running away because i don't have enough healing provisions. I can take 1 bandit or 2 but more easily killed me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are stat increasing plants traps like gothic where you later can craft perma potions from them and get better results or it's safe to consume immediately?

There a no limits. You can consume all potions, fungi and whatnot immediately. I really hated that aspect of the Gothic and Risen games. It made the games less fun. After all, who wants to wait to the end of the game in order to make the best use of all the hard earned attribute increasing potions/tablets/etc.???

It did always annoy me a little bit in G2 that the game didn't store the "base" attribute separately to the adjusted. I.e. if you drank a strength potion at 29 strength, trainers should still treat you as though you had 29 rather than 34.

I don't think players should be penalised for using attribute enhancers "too early".

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

There a no limits. You can consume all potions, fungi and whatnot immediately. I really hated that aspect of the Gothic and Risen games. It made the games less fun. After all, who wants to wait to the end of the game in order to make the best use of all the hard earned attribute increasing potions/tablets/etc.???

It did always annoy me a little bit in G2 that the game didn't store the "base" attribute separately to the adjusted. I.e. if you drank a strength potion at 29 strength, trainers should still treat you as though you had 29 rather than 34.

I don't think players should be penalised for using attribute enhancers "too early".
Wait. You have a hero who drinks a potion that permanently increases their strenght.

Let's say that even in the fantasy world it would take at least some days and the need to eat proteins for the muscles to be accelerated in growth (+2 Strenght right away after drinking a potion is a process simplified for the needs of the gameplay). Then the hero comes to the trainer, now all lean and toned, and wishes for the trainers to treat him like the beginner strenght person?

Something like if irl a beginner tends to stack up gains pretty quickly and needs only a few advices that are cheap to come by over the internet or from the general gym teachers. Once they gain some strenght and muscles it gets harder to gain more, so they need more of a proffesional advice, more sofisticated food intake, probably some supplements to. And that should cost the same as the cheap advice for the beginner?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wait. You have a hero who drinks a potion that permanently increases their strenght.

Let's say that even in the fantasy world it would take at least some days and the need to eat proteins for the muscles to be accelerated in growth (+2 Strenght right away after drinking a potion is a process simplified for the needs of the gameplay). Then the hero comes to the trainer, now all lean and toned, and wishes for the trainers to treat him like the beginner strenght person?

Something like if irl a beginner tends to stack up gains pretty quickly and needs only a few advices that are cheap to come by over the internet or general gym teachers. Once they gain some strenght and muscles it gets harder and harder to gain more, so they need a proffesional advice, more sofisticated food intake, probably some supplements to. And that should cost the same as the cheap advice for the beginner?

It's magic potions at the end of the day. Who knows how they actually work.

In terms of Gameplay/Story segregation it's a bit harsh to punish players for using perma stat boots "too early". It can really fuck you over in NOTR as well if you fall into that trap. Also with Gothic, I doubt it's an intentional thing, it's more likely to be an oversight with when PB changed the way training worked with NOTR and didn't think through how training costs increase based on other sources.

The same thing happens if you forget to unequip a magic strength item before training.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Something like if irl a beginner tends to stack up gains pretty quickly and needs only a few advices that are cheap to come by over the internet or general gym teachers. Once they gain some strenght and muscles it gets harder and harder to gain more, so they need a proffesional advice, more sofisticated food intake, probably some supplements to. And that should cost the same as the cheap advice for the beginner?

It's magic potions at the end of the day. Who knows how they actually work.

In terms of Gameplay/Story segregation it's a bit harsh to punish players for using perma stat boots "too early". It can really fuck you over in NOTR as well if you fall into that trap. Also with Gothic, I doubt it's an intentional thing, it's more likely to be an oversight with when PB changed the way training worked with NOTR and didn't think through how training costs increase based on other sources.

The same thing happens if you forget to unequip a magic strength item before training.
Whatever do you mean how it works. The PC has had their Strenght raised. They are not 19 they are 24.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Whatever do you mean how it works. The PC has had their Strenght raised. They are not 19 they are 24.

Gameplay/story segregation. It doesn't matter "how it works". Sometimes you make breaks to improve quality of life and make things more intuitive.

We don't live in autism world after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom