Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The reviews are in and they are shocking!

Critics are hailing System Shock Remake as the "#1 Best Video Game Remake You Can Play Right Now" and receiving an Editor's Choice award from IGN.

Spukrian

Savant
So I just finished this. I played on 3/2/3/3 (everything hard except no timelimit).

I'm just gonna ramble on with some random thoughts:

*The Music: There were a few memorable tracks, but most of it was bland and forgettable. The elevator music was nice.
*Cyberspace: I didn't like the look of it. Not sure how it could be improved on though. It's more difficult than in the original but I think they did it the wrong way (I don't like being locked in a room while waves of enemies are being spammed). Also as mentioned by others it's missing lots of stuff.
*Electronics rewiring: Now this I really liked. Solving a real puzzle to rewire was great! Sure, I used a logic probe at two occasions, but that was before I had figured out how the puzzles actually worked (not counting the logic probe I used after planting the explosive, of course). Also, the puzzles are random so you can't look up the solution online, nice!
*Leaning: Some people have reported enemies can't hit you while leaning around corners. This is not my experience, enemies shot me full of holes while leaning.
*The Chess Game: Made me ragequit. I now hate chess.
*The Bridge: I preferred the Gigeresque quality of the original.

*The Ending:
The boss fight... eh? You can't die here. No way to loose.

Overall, a good game and a good remake. But I prefer the original.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*Electronics rewiring: Now this I really liked. Solving a real puzzle to rewire was great! Sure, I used a logic probe at two occasions, but that was before I had figured out how the puzzles actually worked (not counting the logic probe I used after planting the explosive, of course). Also, the puzzles are random so you can't look up the solution online, nice!
I actually came across a puzzle on Research that I couldn't solve, so I was forced to use a logic probe there.

My tactic with power flow-puzzles was to start from the end and work my way back.

Spukrian

Savant
I actually came across a puzzle on Research that I couldn't solve, so I was forced to use a logic probe there.

My tactic with power flow-puzzles was to start from the end and work my way back.
The puzzles in this game are actually like they are in great puzzle games. If you're stuck: take a break, go about your day and then go to sleep. Next day, try again and you'll solve it!

Your tactic with the flow-puzzles is indeed the best way to tackle them, they're mazes after all.

Israfael

Arcane
Gah, I've already finished the game and they've patched headbob toggle only now. It was very nauseating, but I kept playing regardless, which is rare for such games.
*The Chess Game: Made me ragequit. I now hate chess.
It's actually fun, I've solved the composition (one move checkmate) and then played a game with the AI. It plays in a very weird fashion, but it's actually somewhat capable (I had Class A rating when I was a kid)

Sodafish

Arcane
So just finished this. I can't compare it with the original as I never played it; I tried once a few years ago, but the terribad controls and interface just put me off entirely.

Anyway, it was a reasonably fun distraction. The design of the station was pretty good, and the lack of blatant hand-holding stands out compared to modern games. I liked the logic puzzles too, and some of them were surprisingly challenging.

There were numerous problems with it though IMO:

- Cyberspace. This shit is just awful and a total chore. Full stop.
- The inventory is too small, even fully upgraded.
- The system of vapourise + recycle for cash is highly tedious busywork (especially when combined with the small inventory), yet MUST be done if you want those upgrades.
- Final Shodan fight is beyond a joke. I thought the one in SS2 was bad, but it's a meisterwerk compared to this crap :lol:

I don't think I'll be playing this again for many years (if at all).

Overall: 5/10.

Semiurge

Cipher
Still worse in every aspect compared to the re-release, where even the controls were greatly improved.

I beat it last weekend, on normal (2 all around) difficulty. It seemed easier than the original, and the last fight before Shodan is very easily cheesed if you have v3 turbo boots (just hover up to the alcove that leads to the final cyberspace interface and take pot shots from there). I backed the game hoping for a near 1:1 adaptation, so I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Naraya

Arcane
8FFB349AC220A8A94111D4F0889DACB565B78D0C

:what:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That there is the exact reason I went for the 'Stackable Items'-mod. Because of that I was carrying five guns (and respective ammo) + rapier on the Bridge, while also packing First Aid-kits, patches and power packs.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
That there is the exact reason I went for the 'Stackable Items'-mod. Because of that I was carrying five guns (and respective ammo) + rapier on the Bridge, while also packing First Aid-kits, patches and power packs.
You don't need all that shit to beat the game. Batteries, health aids, and a couple weapons with ammo is all you really need. Christ, the security level hands out health kits like candy. Frag and EMP grenades are occasionally helpful, and prox mines are super helpful as sticky bombs in boss fights (Diego, Cortex Reavers), but hoarding a half dozen weapons isn't necessary.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You can p much insta-defeat all bosses (and all "harder" enemies tbf) by applying stamina-up+berserk and skate-running straight into them with rapier. No healing or unwieldy explosives needed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Berserk, reflex, laser rapier. Dead bosses. Good times.
You don't really need reflex or stam-up, I think the remake boss AI is broken because I've beaten both Diego and the Reavers by getting up their grille and swing a few times. They don't even retaliate or anything, just stand there and die.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It seems to be the case for all bigger enemies, their AI is probably screwed and tries to reposition for ranged attack, but they just die instead.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They don't even retaliate or anything, just stand there and die.
It seems to be the case for all bigger enemies, their AI is probably screwed and tries to reposition for ranged attack, but they just die instead.
Well, in my game they didn't have any trouble repositioning and attacking. They did that very well in fact. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the reflex.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They don't even retaliate or anything, just stand there and die.
Well, in my game they didn't have any trouble repositioning and attacking. They did that very well in fact.
Fair enough.

In my game I beat one Diego and two Reavers that way, the second Reaver managed to kick me once, that's it. Diego got stunlocked like a gentle giant trying to run form a police taser.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well finally played through this and finished. Quick thoughts while it's still fresh in my mind...

I was pleasantly surprised at how faithfully it recreated Citadel Station. Thankful they decided to ditch their "updating to modern times" makeover they 1st went for. This at least felt like System Shock. I was a little put off by the visuals (70s disco anyone?) in Medical but the other levels were good. Well, maybe the Reactor level was a little too shiny. Exploration was still fun even though I had a lot of prior knowledge from the original. I enjoyed the bypass puzzles as they didn't seem dumbed down and I actually struggled on a few before figuring it out. One thing that I do think was an improvement over the original was the gun-play. The weapons packed the appropriate punch and I enjoyed that part and remembering which weapons to use on which enemy. The enemy AI for me was also good. Enemies followed me, opened doors when pursuing and even turned on force field bridges to go after me. The rapier and pipe weapons were not good. There was absolutely no feeling of connecting or impacting on an enemy.

The KS stuff was easily avoidable and didn't stick out much. The few and far between KS audio logs were fine and story-wise felt appropriate. Speaking of audio logs, I thought the new voice overs were fine. Again, it still felt like the original even with expanded/updated scripts. Love Terry Brosius's work and her SHODAN is still one of the best all time! The recycling mechanic was unnecessary. I hardly used it and feel I enjoyed the game more with the scarcity of ammo by not being able to access the vending machines every level. The one big complaint was cyberspace... hated it! I despise closed off arena-type battles. In the original I could just race past things to unlock whatever was needed. This was a time waster and annoying. I can only hope whoever decided to go in that direction doesn't get anywhere near SS2 or a hypothetical SS3. The ending for the remake was a strange choice but the original wasn't much better so, meh.

Verdict: Overall, besides the few irritations, I really liked it. I kept playing and would suddenly realize I had played for several hours in a row. That hasn't happened with a "modern" game in a loooooong time! I suppose you can say this isn't "modern" since it's a faithful remake. However, to actually get this remake as good as it was in today's market is a win for me. The original System Shock is one of my all-time favorite games. This remake was still the System Shock I know and loved from the Looking Glass age and it didn't sully that legacy.

:greatjob:

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I watched SS classic (not enhanced) stream the other day and I was shocked to see how much easier the combat was there compared to the remake. The streamer basically mowed down those female cyborgs, assassins and elite guards with Skorpion. I had a hard time to kill even one with a full clip.

I guess the ease of combat was kinda balanced by the fact that the player had to fight with the interface as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, also there aren't any "boss fights" in the OG, Diego is just a normal clunky robot in a hallway that you just blast on your way to the next objective, barely noticing he was the big baddie.

Yes, the OG was very easy combat-wise. The challenge was figuring out what you have to do and how.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Idk, I remember enemies hitting pretty hard. Lots of cheesing was used by me.

On max difficulty enemies hitscanned the fuck out of you in a lot of areas. It wasn't "hard" because you had respawns but you definitely could die a lot. Primarily Reactor (jumping cunts spawnrate was way too high, especially around the elevator) and level 7 (just a ton of high level enemies, especially in dimly lit areas where you're gonna get shot first a lot of the time).

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Fronzel Neekburm

I basically agree with your review. I've finished the game three weeks ago, and forgot to write any review/summary, because you just written what i would had said. One thing, the beta groove was insufferable random wandering and dying, even with biosuit and antitoxin drug, until i found video that just had shown where i should go and basically said "fuck exploring there, there's just one thing you need to do there and exfil ASAP". Bosses are laughably easy, cyberspace is utterly boring, the ending cyberspace sequence mind numbingly boring and tedious. Overall i think being faitful to original in terms of ending was imho a bad decision. We could get some big mecha SHODAN that you have to fight and i would be fine with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom