Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock 2 GOG and Steam Release

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Still waiting for the steam release so I can play this then run through the bioshock series.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not hard to understand the modding community is so focused on getting credit because they get literally nothing else from their work. GOG continue to fuck that up, which is a shame.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Still waiting for the steam release so I can play this then run through the bioshock series.

Always funny when someone won't play a game until its on Steam...

"25 monkey headshots achievement unlocked!"
It's not the achievements. It's the library. People want to have all games in one place.
Sort of a collector's urge. Hard so shake off.

This is the reason I bought all the IE from gog despite still having the originals. Steam and gog make things to easy.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not the achievements. It's the library. People want to have all games in one place.

I can certainly understand collecting, but non-transferable/intangible digital goods? Give me a damn box. I can make my own digital copy, thanks.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Other funny Steam users are the ones that have a 300 game backlog from teh saylz and complain about it. First World problems, ftw.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Always funny when someone won't play a game until its on Steam...

"25 monkey headshots achievement unlocked!"

If they were physical copies, I could understand that. But they aren't, so let's just say I don't think too highly of people who hoard games on Steam.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I can certainly understand collecting, but non-transferable/intangible digital goods? Give me a damn box. I can make my own digital copy, thanks.
Can't stand boxes. Damn things just clutter up the place.
Anyway it's the same thing, physical or digital, collectors gonna collect.
I was a Steam addict, always waiting for that Steam release, but then GOG happened and broke that.
Now I have games all over internet, GOG, Steam, GG, Getgamesgo, Greenmagaming, hell even some bits and piece on the ol' Direct2Drive although god only knows what happened to those.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There is a big advantage to having a digital copy: when you move or buy a new computer you can just put it on that without having to mess with a physical medium. This is attractive to me because I have nowhere to upload my games and no space to store boxes.

Exar Kun

Scholar
I want it on steam because ALL my other games are there. All my friends are on steam. Its a bit of a social network as well, but you turds wouldn't know much of that.

Edit - Jasede, no need to make excuses for these retards. They are either trolling or have severe handicaps.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
There is a big advantage to having a digital copy: when you move or buy a new computer you can just put it on that without having to mess with a physical medium. This is attractive to me because I have nowhere to upload my games and no space to store boxes.
Still, GoG is better alternative, if only for the fact that you can download the game to your hdd/sdd and it WILL install with no strings attached, and there you go, you can play without internet connection ...and so on... yeah, goodbye (going to sleep).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, GoG is better alternative, if only for the fact that you can download the game to your hdd/sdd and it WILL install with no strings attached, and there you go, you can play without internet connection ...and so on... yeah, goodbye (going to sleep).
GoG's biggest advantage is that there is essentially no initial hurdle to overcome - you have to have an internet connection, a browser and a valid method of paying online and you can buy and download games as you like. With Steam you have to overcome the reluctance to download and install a new piece of software to infest your computer. After that initial step it becomes much easier and Steam have all these nifty social features, if you are into that.

(typing drunk on a absolutely shitty lenovo laptop keyboard is a purgatory)

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
ibm/lenovo joystick red clitoris is good. Have it, know it. keyboard size is debatable (ok, I am very drunkl. Going to sleep nau.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

You can play pretty much any (non-multiplayer) Steam game offline/without an internet connection in Steam's 'offline' mode. Moreover, a lot of these older titles can be launched outside of the Steam client altogether (the early Gothic titles, for example).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't seen this addressed, but does the Steam version have anything to enhance multiplayer, or is it pretty much the same as the GoG version?

Multi-headed Cow

I've actually got a physical boxed (Well, not boxed any more. Threw the box away last fall in a great purge of videogame boxes that were taking up a ton of space) of System Shock 2 but I'd still like this Steam copy for ease of use (Downloading the whole patched thing at once and not possibly losing the disc. Or ideally not even having an optical drive in your computer at all and ascending beyond corporeal form) and general Steamwhoring/collecting.

Other funny Steam users are the ones that have a 300 game backlog from teh saylz and complain about it. First World problems, ftw.

Only 300 game backlogs, heh. HEH. help

Haven't seen this addressed, but does the Steam version have anything to enhance multiplayer, or is it pretty much the same as the GoG version?

I believe it's functionally identical to the GoG version. I heard it doesn't even need Steam running to play, so it's DRM free like the GoG version. So no Steamworks-using multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom