Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tekken 8

ind33d

Learned
they should literally revert the entire codebase to Tag 2

nobody wants rage or EX or projectiles. just make the AI more human-like so shitters can still win sometimes

Dedicated_Dark

Liturgist
Why have the story go in a particular way if you constantly need to keep bringing back characters.
Because people want to play those characters. That's why Capcom always brings back Akuma or M. Bison.
In every single Tekken game someone gets thrown in a volcano, and comes back even stronger, that's pretty much a trope now.
Then write with that in mind instead of the absolute retardness they are doing now.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Because people want to play those characters.
Isn't this why Reina exists?
To serve as Heihachi's replacement in the roster?
In every single Tekken game someone gets thrown in a volcano, and comes back even stronger, that's pretty much a trope now.
Sure, but the entire shtick of T7 plot was that it was finally an end to the Kazuya-Heihachi conflict - one of them was going to die for good
Harada even confirmed that as far as plot goes Heihachi was deader than dead
But now they are pedalling back and worst of all, not in a non-canon dlc character sort of way, but as canon paid dlc

When they killed Kazuya at least they had the good sense to keep him dead for 1 game to make his return in T4 more meaningful...

Arthandas

Prophet
Isn't this why Reina exists?
To serve as Heihachi's replacement in the roster?
No, she has some of his moves but her gameplay is very different.
Sure, but the entire shtick of T7 plot was that it was finally an end to the Kazuya-Heihachi conflict - one of them was going to die for good
Harada even confirmed that as far as plot goes Heihachi was deader than dead
I'm also surprised he isn't dead for good (especially since his voice actor is gone too). Tough to say anything about it before the new story drops. He looks younger and instead of going for the Zaibatsu he's training some monks? Since some of his moves went to Reina and Kuma, my guess is his moveset will be greatly modified.
But now they are pedalling back and worst of all, not in a non-canon dlc character sort of way, but as canon paid dlc
They're most definitely not backpedaling. With how game development goes, and with how much time and money each character and update costs, all S1 chars and the story expansion was set in stone before T8 even released. In other words, they planned to bring Hei back from the beginning, they didn't change their minds mid season.

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
they should literally revert the entire codebase to Tag 2

nobody wants rage or EX or projectiles. just make the AI more human-like so shitters can still win sometimes
You realize that Tag 2 had Rage, and with the poorly done damage scaling, you can do 2 combos with your other fighter and finish the round before it even starts? Not to mention that Eliza, introduced in TEKKEN: Revolution, which was also running on Tag 2's engine, had EX and projectiles.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I played Tekken 8 storymode.
Holy cow, anime levels were too high for me.
Having said that, the final FINAL finale was pretty damn cool, with Jin using old Tekken and Jun moves.

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
I've been testing Lidia's moveset and her stance-based offense is not my cup of tea. She does enormous damage but has difficulty getting in, and all (or most) of her stance transitions are jab-interruptable. And her lows are some of the worst in the game, extremely slow, and can be seen a country mile away.

Shurakan

Novice
I ended up deciding to buy the game during the EVO sale and finally started getting into it.

And I'm actually having a blast. The story content is abysmal and the arcade quest is just a big tutorial but damnit I'm really having fun with the combat. Coming from SoulCalibur it took me awhile to come to grips with movement and remembering that I don't have a block button. Scouted ahead and chose some easy characters to learn first: went with the Kazama girls and Victor. The 2nd guiding principle for me when choosing characters was... mods. Victor has an assload of mods. I don't even remember who Victor is, all I see is Deathstroke, Master Chief and Ryu FUCKING Hayabusa with the same movelist. Took Leroy into practice because he's THE PREDATOR. Can't decide whether to play Leroy or learn the bears. I find the bears incredibly amusing. I hope someone mods a Xenomorph outfit on them. Instant new mains.

At some point I just found myself looking to want to practice combos and new moves. It's a pity the AI is garbage that can't respond to jabs but otherwise enjoys input reading at random.

I've even started playing online and I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having. I get mobbed now and then by characters who do shit I can't understand but when I fight people like me the matches are great.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it seems really badly optimized. DOA6 looked way better and ran buttery smooth on my rig but some stages in this game lose a few frames now and then. Thankfully, mods fix this.

I'm overall happy with my purchase (40% off) though I'm wary of things like the battle passes and mediocre customization. I hope the game improves with time... since DOA/SoulCal 7 seem years and years away... if they ever come.

Just Locus

Educated
I find the bears incredibly amusing. I hope someone mods a Xenomorph outfit on them. Instant new mains.
If you care about them, you can play Yoshimitsu if you want, Any high-level Yoshi player feels like they're playing their own game, with how wacky and insane moves they can do, the only problem is that Yoshimitsu requires really hard execution to get good with, but you might like him especially when they added some of his SC6 moves.

My biggest gripe with the game is that it seems really badly optimized
I wouldn't say that, it's just really demanding on your CPU, plus it depends on the resolution scaling method you're using, I use Nvidia DLSS (there's also a mod that introduces better DLSS support, so your performance will get even better)

since DOA/SoulCal 7 seem years and years away... if they ever come.
I hate to break it to you, but Harada said that Soul Calibur 7 is never coming back/0.0001% chance of happening or ever entering production, since the director left for Granblue Fantasy and Namco doesn't seem to have put much stock into the IP, and it's unlikely that a newer title will ever come out.

Dedicated_Dark

Liturgist
The Iron Grandpa is back.

Dead people need to stay dead. Never gonna take Tekken story even half-seriously after garbage like this. Whatever I guess.

On a positive note, now you can put your fav. waifu on the menu.

the-war-is-over-we-won-bois-v0-sbr2f4xyusqd1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom