Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tekken 8

Although Tekken was never a good looking series, the advent of Unreal Engine really made it much, much worse. Now on top of looking pretty terrible, it also looks incredibly generic.

911 Jumper

Educated
Art direction in this latest entry is the worst yet, to say nothing of that horrible announcer in the character reveal vids.

Tekken 8 looks hilariously bad. It's like they took everything that looked terrible in past instalments and dialled it up to 11. The new combo extenders are also fucking pathetic, it plays like one of those bootleg KoFs.

But, no competition (i.e. VF) means that there's no pushback against any of it. Fucking Sega.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last Tekken I liked a lot was 6, 7 was a huge decline, but I played it a lot because of friends who were very much into it.

From the demo I'm even less interested in 8.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally character models take priority over UI, took so many years...

896FF4A54915B8FBE1C6DDD06507E6FB157FFF33

Modron

Arcane
What the fuck is up with that coffee lady?
Probably just an ill timed screenshot of her in the middle of a cheering animation as background characters have been doing for 30-40 years in fighting games no?

Anyone playing?

Netcode is kind of shit and there's something really annoying: if your opponent drops frames because of shitty hardware it actually lags the game down. There are two separate status bars for PC, one for connection, one for "processing load", and it shows both clients.

Shittiest decision ever. At least in my region I get egregious lag every single match despite a good connection indicator because the monkey on the other end is dropping frames.

Also there's a lot of shader stutter. Fuck UE5.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Anyone playing?
I am, and had all kind of weird experiences online.

So far its been worse than T7 overall and wifi connection should still be something to avoid.

Although i had a perfect game with a guy in America 1 (maybe its wrong) using wifi. I was pleasantly surprised.

Other than the netcode i am having a good experience with the game and don't have much to complain about.

Anyone playing?
I am, and had all kind of weird experiences online.

So far its been worse than T7 overall and wifi connection should still be something to avoid.

Although i had a perfect game with a guy in America 1 (maybe its wrong) using wifi. I was pleasantly surprised.

Other than the netcode i am having a good experience with the game and don't have much to complain about.
I'm having fun but it's still the same retarded Tekken even if some changes are cool. I like the fact that they buffed throws specifically, but it still isn't enough.

- Low throws are now inescapable across the board.
- When throws counter hit, the escape window is reduced significantly (from 20f to 8f), making them pretty much impossible to escape on reaction. Good change even though throws being able to counter hit is supremely retarded.
- When you throw an opponent in any kind of reversal animation, throws become unbreakable.
- You can't sidestep throws anymore, they track fully.

Game's still 100% based on whiff punishing and spamming safe on block launchers that lead to 50% damage plus wall carry for retarded oki. Tekken never changes.

However, now there's the added aggravation of having to deal with extra plus on block armored bullshit on a single button. They keep adding extra retardation on top of the shit sandwich.

Thorakitai

Learned
And I thought Tekken 7 was bad enough, Tekken 8 looks to be pushing the flashy OTP anime style to the point it looks obnoxious.

Tekken's aesthetic got worse from 7 onward as it becomes more of an over-the-top anime and less like a serious martial arts fighting game that it used to be.

Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive of all things at managed to least have most of it's cast and even their newcomers retain their more "normal" aeathestic alongside the more fantastical ones.

Sunri

Liturgist
O don't like any new characters, especially this vincenti parmezani guy fucking noctis 2.0 teleporting nigga

Yeah new characters are pretty lame. But not as bad as SF6.

Tekken hasn't had a decent new character since Raven.

Last edited:

mord

Novice
This game cemented what a banger T7 soundtrack was, after jukebox only few songs werent replaced. Not that T8 songs aren't fine, T7 were just so good.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Tekken has this super spammy lame characters that you have to guess what the fuck they are doing, and if x attack is a low you either block it on time or pay the ultimate price. I hate those characters because they place all the responsibility on the opponent.

Eddie Gordo was/is like this and so is this new Vicent guy that i already hate.
I would ban probably 1/3 of Tekken's roster.

The good part is that once you learn to counter this garbage they become pretty easy to fight against. I wish Tekken only had characters with reasonable moves, where waving your hand like a gay man, not only should not be an attack and even less a launcher for that reason.

Still i like Reina as a new character. Fought against her a lot and she is quite fair to fight against. Had a lot of enjoyable fights.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Anyone playing?
I had it on a wishlist, but honestly, I think I'll pass. I liked Tekken 6, 7 was a decline but I played it the most (we had a PS4 with this game in our company, so during breaks or after shift I often played with colleagues, and I also bought it to play at home parties as well), but in the end this game is just wrong to play online, trying to enjoy multiplayer without someone sitting next to you is always crap - dropped frames and lags regardless of your connection and hardware. You rarely got a decent match, and anyway it's just not as pleasant to play without shittalking each other at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom