Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tekken 8

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
That sucks Konjad ! My experience with T7 ranked was quite good and drove me to T8 for more of it and so far i don't regreat it, but i understand your experience.

What did you dislike in T7 from T6?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Tekken's aesthetic got worse from 7 onward as it becomes more of an over-the-top anime and less like a serious martial arts fighting game that it used to be.
Hmmm yes quite

It's very common in srs biznizz martial arts tournaments that the winner tosses the loser into a volcano

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That sucks Konjad ! My experience with T7 ranked was quite good and drove me to T8 for more of it and so far i don't regreat it, but i understand your experience.

the rage stuff and the DLC shit mostly (so if you didn't spend overabundance of money you were locked from some characters while they often made DLC characters terribly overpowered - lmao at Leroy before they nerfed him months later).

Also the light flashes for attacks, they were already silly before but they increased them to a point it can look like a parody.

Shadowfang

Arcane

the rage stuff and the DLC shit mostly (so if you didn't spend overabundance of money you were locked from some characters while they often made DLC characters terribly overpowered - lmao at Leroy before they nerfed him months later).

Also the light flashes for attacks, they were already silly before but they increased them to a point it can look like a parody.
Oh yeah i agree with all those. Specially the fact that you had to play against DLC character's but could not lab against them. That is some prime bullshit.
I am also not a fan of Rage and the shiny light on the attacks, which seems to be a modern trend with fighting games.

What fighting games do you keep playing with friends?

Tekken has this super spammy lame characters that you have to guess what the fuck they are doing, and if x attack is a low or pay the ultimate price. I hate those characters because they place all the responsibility on the opponent.

Eddie Gordo was/is like this and so is this new Vicent guy that i already hate.
I would ban probably 1/3 of Tekken's roster.

The good part is that once you learn to counter this garbage they become pretty easy to fight against. I wish Tekken only had characters with reasonable moves, where waving your hand like a gay man, not only should not be an attack and even less a launcher for that reason.

Still i like Reina as a new character. Fought against her a lot and she is quite fair to fight against. Had a lot of enjoyable fights.
Yeah Tekken is almost like a Dragon Ball Z game now, the moves are so completely over the top and ridiculous you can't help but laugh when characters go flying across the screen doing helicopter moves at 100mph.

I'm clearly not the target audience anymore and I'm old. Apparently kids find this entertaining, I don't know.

I think there's definitely a market for a more grounded 3d fighting game. If SEGA weren't so completely inept, they'd jump right into that vacuum with a new VF, there's never been a better time. But it's SEGA, so they won't.

Nathir

Liturgist
I'm not much of a Tekken player, but from the few streams I watched this looks like T7 with more annoying visual effects all over the screen? Am I wrong? Is it any better/worse gameplay wise?

Shadowfang

Arcane
I'm not much of a Tekken player, but from the few streams I watched this looks like T7 with more annoying visual effects all over the screen? Am I wrong? Is it any better/worse gameplay wise?
I don't have enough knowledge in both games to answer adequately, but so far it feels a lot like T7 but more streamed line.
I think there's definitely a market for a more grounded 3d fighting game. If SEGA weren't so completely inept, they'd jump right into that vacuum with a new VF, there's never been a better time. But it's SEGA, so they won't.
I hear alot of good about the series. I tried playing some versions of it last year but they weren't working properly.
The games look interesting but i have to say that i am not a great fan of a block button. Still i would jump at a new Virtua Fighter, for sure. I think they are playing around the idea and may have something going on in secret.

best tekken is 2 (barring bullshit king killer combo). most mindless fun is tag 2. anything after just lacks direction, identity.

Why would you even think about a fighting game in terms of "community"? You beat some fucker up, that's it. Do you fucking exchange messages later or what?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
What fighting games do you keep playing with friends?
Not a connoisseur by any mean but I found Soul Calibur IV the best one all around. Fun, easy to take up, and with a wealth of moves and styles to play.

Why would you even think about a fighting game in terms of "community"? You beat some fucker up, that's it. Do you fucking exchange messages later or what?
Way back when, yes.

During the XBox360 decline era, at least there were PMs and voice chat that most people wouldn't opt out of. I got a lot of hate mail in MVC3, SSF4 and SC5 that was always good for a laugh. The Global Colloseo in SC5 actually had an active chatroom in its lobbies, and your 'avatar' was any static image you could create through the character creator. I wouldn't call it a 'community' but at least there was interaction

I'm posting here as someone who hasn't purchased Tekken 8 so maybe it has these features. idk, ignore me if so

Lately I've been playing Granblue on steam, and you can't PM or even add someone to your friends list who you've had a long set with. IT STINKS.

Pocgels

Scholar
There's a big public lobby thing in tekken 8, similar to the one in Xrd, but the fact is people who want to talk to strangers on the internet are on discord. This is something that goes far beyond fighting games but I have hope because it seems like proximity chat is valued highly among shooters recently.

Still, with proper play, toxicity can properly be expressed within a match - no need for written messages :)

Well, there is a lobby in Tekken with chat (it's one of those silly hubs that's in every fighting game these days where you have retarded avatars walking around, sitting down on arcade machines, etc.)

But most people don't play in the lobby, they just queue ranked from practice mode or whatever. I do that, too. My days of FG 'community' are long over, they died with physical arcades. Besides, most of the time even in those days all you wanted to do was beat some fucker out of their lunch money, not have a conversation. Most people hated each other in arcades. That fueled the competitive spirit.

I guess what people call 'toxic' are guys that ki charge when they beat you or something like that, or teabag, or some other kind of taunt. If people get mad at those things, I can't help but laugh.

Thorakitai

Learned
Tekken's aesthetic got worse from 7 onward as it becomes more of an over-the-top anime and less like a serious martial arts fighting game that it used to be.
Hmmm yes quite

It's very common in srs biznizz martial arts tournaments that the winner tosses the loser into a volcano

Joke Endings don't count.:P

While Tekken is no stranger to having weird fighting game plots, as new entries come and go, aside from aesthetic slowly becoming a DBZ knockoff, characters who aren't part of the main storyline are slowly reduced to joke characters or become increasingly irrelevant in their storyline as the devs have no idea or interest towards them as they lazer focus on the Mishima storyline.

How do you explain shit like Eddy Gordo being tricked by Marie Rose-wannabe Lucky Chloe when he attempts to get revenge on Jin, Lei Wulong becoming a simp for said idol wannabe or Julia becoming streamer? The fighting games I've mentioned at least respect their non-main storyline charactera and don't turn them into total jokes.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From what I've seen, it at least seems not to be as stationary as T7 and not as overly focused on punishers
But it still seems overly focused juggling and I don't like the introduction of meter

For now I think I'll be skipping this one

Also Armor King is again DLC character? Ffs Harada...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah, he's an all-rounder with some focus on grabs
Didn't know he sold well, but makes sense

I get why they do this progressive trickling down of content
Multiplayer games are a bitch to make and without regular updates even the best of them will lose the majority of their player base after a year or so
But having to pay for stuff that in previous games were there from the get go just doesn't sit well with me

Oh
Btw, now that Heihachi is dead, who is his replament in terms of gameplay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom