Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Telepath Tactics Liberated - deterministic tactical RPG inspired by Fire Emblem

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Craig Stern how moddable will the new version be? I recall the old version allowing you to create your own campaigns

The remake also lets you create your own custom campaigns! The main difference is, it's going to come with a way more robust set of tools to make them. It's not just a map editor and dialogue editor anymore; it now also has a character creator, cut scene editor, skill editor, and item editor; a campaign overview screen to let you browse everything you've got in the campaign and jump between editing things as you please; and the ability to quickly jump to various points in the campaign for testing. The whole suite does a way better job of documenting things and guiding the user now, with most text fields now popping up with autocomplete suggestions and explanatory tooltips.

I made a pretty long video on the Sinister Design Youtube channel previewing the campaign creation tools last year, if you're curious for more details.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm making good progress on the Telepath Tactics remake, and I figured I'd share a bit of the latest improvements with you! Remember the "Out of Food" battle, one of the game's two procedurally generated fights? I've just finished remaking it as a hand-crafted battle! It remains a non-linear level where you hack your own path through the woods--but now it's better balanced, with more elaborate scripting and an AI that can hack its own paths, too. ;)

I'm on track to have the remake complete this winter. Keep an eye open for it!

Mustawd

I like the sprite look better but the portraits are a definitive improvement. Overall it looks good.

INB4 an unsquashable inventory bug…

:^)

By the way, what engine was the original TT made in? Unity?

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
The original was made in Flash, actually--the remake is in Unity! It looks and feels (and performs) light-years better in the new engine.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I never had too many problems with the game, but despite Craig's efforts (new save file format etc.) the engine definitely was busting at the seams.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Yeahhhh. Flash had a few nice things going for it, but it ultimately wasn't up to task. I'm having a much easier time overall with Unity. :)

Mustawd

One piece of feedback: The typing sound is awful. Please give an option to remove it.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
You mean the little clarinet "speech" sound? Already done. There are separate volume settings for sound effects, music, and dialogue sounds--just set that third one to zero and you're golden.

vazha

Arcane
How is the new game coming along? any other improvements other than better portraits?

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Yeah! Lately I've been focusing on polish: lots of little bug fixes and improvements to how the game behaves with different interactions; new items; new maps; new dialogue; etc. There's way too many things to list here, but if you click that link I posted above the devlog has 'em all.

vazha

Arcane
typos in Emma Strider's death monologue.
Might want to put a spoiler tag on this one. Although if its the same character from the TT game, I am glad she bought it. She was 24 /7 cringe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Here's a second sneak peek at the Telepath Tactics remake showing off some of the new 3D terrain in the Hills of Coria battle. Blowing up bridges and psychokinetically flinging enemies into the sea was never so fun! :D

I gave you an hour this time, Craig Stern!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/357940/view/2959416386862358290

The Telepath Tactics remake is coming...
It's more than halfway done!

Hello, tactics fans! I'm pleased to report continued progress on the remake.

Let's start with brass tacks: as of today, all of the game's battles have been remade with proper 3D terrain! In addition, I've converted the campaign's one and only mandatory proc gen battle--Out of Food--to a hand-designed map for more deliberate pacing and balance.

I'm now going back through and updating the scripting on the game's dozens and dozens of cut scenes as well testing each battle to ensure that it remains fun and playable with the game's updated scripting system and improved AI. As of this moment, 47 out of the campaign's 79 scenes are now complete and confirmed to be working as intended in-engine.

There are loads of little changes and improvements happening as a part of this process. Better AI; some all-new equipment; improved scripting; new dialogue to account for unusual interactions with the player; smoother and more intuitive controls for exploration mode; even proc gen reinforcement characters if the player has too few people left alive at a key point in the campaign...

Bridges are now built at the builder's own elevation, and the new 3D terrain has been a really nice improvement as far as making it *way* easier to see elevation differences (and to see what's going on when someone gets knocked off a cliff). You can see some of this at play in gameplay footage I recorded the other day:

Georgi Minkov has now completed all of the new, beautiful painterly proc gen and generic character portraits and is hard at work on painting portraits for the campaign's unique characters! (You can see a couple of them in-game in the video above.)

In short: things are still on track! A few more months, and this sucker should be ready to release. Thanks as always for your patience; I'm excited to get this out into the world!

--Craig

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Doesn't look bad, I almost picked up game 1, but it looked just a little bit too rpgmaker for my tastes.
Sprites and Portraits are good, backgrounds are eh, I can live with them.
If you still have time for some changes polish up the UI, it looks too big and cartoony, better suited for a mobile game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The UI is sized so it'll be readable on a Nintendo Switch screen. ;)

I got a Switch, I wont buy an rpg that has mobile UI on it. Quite frankly it looks like shit, take a look at Legends of Amberland that had pretty good UI that was readable on Switch aswell.

Mustawd

The UI is sized so it'll be readable on a Nintendo Switch screen. ;)

I got a Switch, I wont buy an rpg that has mobile UI on it. Quite frankly it looks like shit, take a look at Legends of Amberland that had pretty good UI that was readable on Switch aswell.

I played the original game when it came out and it's a nice tactical weeb rpg, inspired by Fire Emblem. I'd say if that's what you like, it's worth the buy, depending on price.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
I'm just popping in to let y'all know that as of today, I have finished getting every last cut scene and battle working in the new engine. Telepath Tactics: Liberated Edition* is now playable from beginning to end! :)

* not sure if I'm gonna stick with this name

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm just popping to let y'all know that as of today, I have finished getting every last cut scene and battle working in the new engine. Telepath Tactics: Liberated Edition* is now playable from beginning to end! :)

* not sure if I'm gonna stick with this name

Available where?
We're talking about the previous game without the romances and wokeshit, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom