Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter That Day We Left - Refugee crisis themed game here

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If you feel passionate about the topic, rather than just trying to gain publicity via "hot current events" shtick, you should by all means pursue it. Freedom of artistic expression is important.

But get a bomb-sniffing dog.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
The truth: we're not going to drown in profits, at least not because of the concept. On the contrary, if we fail to deliver something meaningful and sensible we will be fucked foverer.
So than whats the point of this project? Clearly it's not money, so you guys are doing this out of passion cause you happen to know some of these refugees and you want to tell the world of their plight? I call bullshit. Nothing about this seems smart or wise.
We wanted to do this game, something meaningful for us
Why?
What agenda do you feel we put into it?
You're not making the game for money so this was the next logical conclusion i came to, so once again, why are you making this game if not for profit?
We are walking on a rope bridge and the chance we're going to fall out of it are very high, but we know that.
:?
And I can understand why stupid people all around the web just insult us telling that we're going to do propaganda just because, unlike them, we are not racist. But from smarter people I'd expect a different reaction
Maybe they are making these accusations because they're trying to wrap their heads around why anyone would think it's smart to make a game about something like this, responding to these critisisms by calling these people racist or bigots and other insults does nothing but dig you guys into a deeper hole. Whats next? You're gonna start calling everyone over privileged white males that's literally worse than hitler? Is this the route you really want to go down?
there are movies and books about serious themes, why can't videogames do the same? I'd perfectly understand to see people not interested in it, but I can't understand why we should only focus on fantasy games.
Stop strawmanning, i never said that video games can't do real life themes or should only focus on fantasy settings, there are plenty of settings out there that aren't fantasy. But than again that depends on what you qualify as fantasy.

Look, 'This war of mine' is the only game i can think of that had a similar theme as this, but even though it had pretty solid game mechanics it was a miserable depressing experience playing through it. If that's the kind of game you guys want to make than all the power to you, but if you keep responding to criticism by calling people racist/bigot or dumb, you're just going to make yourselves look bad.

Telengard

Arcane
I question my writing single every fucking single day and I despise everything I create, pretty much like anyone who's in the field. We are three now, working on the writing, and I guess we're doing a decent job. Not because I judged it, but because other reliable people told that to us. You're free to try the prototype, maybe is not the best written things in the world, but we surely tried to avoid being pretentious. There's no "art" placed around just to allow us to feel deep, more like a story about a family that's escaping.

Look. You need a proper writer. Or at the very least an editor. ICY had a lot of problems that should have been addressed with game testing. Personally, I felt that I played the Alpha of ICY, gave feedback that the writing needed to be overhauled a lot, and nothing got done.

I understand you're not professional writers. I get it. But I really really think you need more time to process feedback. I suggest you keep the main ideas and themes of your writing but truly take feedback in terms of style, timing, and spelling. Because I remember playing the alpha and wondering why the hell everyone kept saying "fuck" for no apparent reason. Shit was jarring tbh. People, especially older adults, don't walk around saying "fuck" all the time. Timing is also an issue. You introduce major themes way too quickly (in ICY's case) when realistic dialogue would be a bit more nuanced and less lore dumpy (I'm thinking of the time you first meet the black guy. Dude's dialogue was weird as hell).

Anyway, I haven't read every post in this thread but I'll try and make some time to play the alpha and provide real constructive feedback. :salute:
OwNathan - I'm an ex-rpg dev, so I do know well that when you produce something, everyone and his mother has some opinion for you, and it's hard to wade through all the crap. And so, one normally just ignores everything rather than even try. But I've seen Mustawd's editing work in another thread, and I'll just say, if he actually finds the time to do this, you should give his advice some special attention. (The advice may not be presented in the gentle way that a professional would do, but it is likely to be correct.)

My 2 cents.

Jazz_

Arcane
Meh the game as it is pitched does not interest me in the slightest but genius idea from a marketing standpoint, think about all the free publicity and all the press this game will get just because of the theme, and all the bernies/sjw/ummah who'll most likely buy the game on day 1.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Look. You need a proper writer. Or at the very least an editor. ICY had a lot of problems that should have been addressed with game testing. Personally, I felt that I played the Alpha of ICY, gave feedback that the writing needed to be overhauled a lot, and nothing got done.

I understand you're not professional writers. I get it. But I really really think you need more time to process feedback. I suggest you keep the main ideas and themes of your writing but truly take feedback in terms of style, timing, and spelling. Because I remember playing the alpha and wondering why the hell everyone kept saying "fuck" for no apparent reason. Shit was jarring tbh. People, especially older adults, don't walk around saying "fuck" all the time. Timing is also an issue. You introduce major themes way too quickly (in ICY's case) when realistic dialogue would be a bit more nuanced and less lore dumpy (I'm thinking of the time you first meet the black guy. Dude's dialogue was weird as hell).

Anyway, I haven't read every post in this thread but I'll try and make some time to play the alpha and provide real constructive feedback. :salute:
We completely changed the writing team and how the writing is done, also got a very good editor. When ICY got released we had issues with the previous editors, then we found someone able to fix all the shit. Also, there is way more care and attention to the details.

I wrote ICY alone, with a crappy english, while struggling with personal issues. We are three working on TDWL's writing, dialogues are edited multiple times in terms of style, contents, pacing and stuff. The overall result should be different.

OwNathan - I'm an ex-rpg dev, so I do know well that when you produce something, everyone and his mother has some opinion for you, and it's hard to wade through all the crap. And so, one normally just ignores everything rather than even try. But I've seen Mustawd's editing work in another thread, and I'll just say, if he actually finds the time to do this, you should give his advice some special attention. (The advice may not be presented in the gentle way that a professional would do, but it is likely to be correct.)

My 2 cents.
Yup, you're right.

Sometimes some good discussions come out of threads like this. I'm always open to suggestions and criticism, but when the latter involve the game in its entirety, well, I should probably just ignore and move along.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've read the 3 updates posted so far on KS. Not bad, the game shows some promise. The characters seem to be interesting.

I'm afraid the KS target might be too high, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why pick such a date to launch a Kickstarter? August seems pretty risky with everyone (including most of the press) being on vacation.
Good luck with the KS. Given that it has some mainstream appeal, it could still work.

mondblut

Arcane
genius idea from a marketing standpoint, think about all the free publicity and all the press this game will get just because of the theme, and all the bernies/sjw/ummah who'll most likely buy the game on day 1.

Not to mention anyone who doesn't like it is automatically worse than Hitler.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Why pick such a date to launch a Kickstarter? August seems pretty risky with everyone (including most of the press) being on vacation.
Good luck with the KS. Given that it has some mainstream appeal, it could still work.
We actually did a lot of research and August seemed to be a good month for videogames on Kickstarter, actually one of the best.

The main problem may actually be the theme, in which case without the marketing strength bought with a big investment it's actually hard to do anything. Also, the press seemed to completely ignore us, according to what I knew they're all kinda focused on pokemon go articles lately.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Contact kotaku and the likes, they'll either rip you a new one or sing praises - free PR either way.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Contact kotaku and the likes, they'll either rip you a new one or sing praises - free PR either way.
Already done, nothing happened. D:
This seems ideal for mainstream coverage. I would pitch it to places like Slate, Ars Technica, The Guardian, etc. You should go with an aggressive angle like, "Finally a game that means something" and "a game that's about more than fun," etc. You might want to approach (im)migrants' rights groups and have them help cross-promote it. Probably drop the "fair and balanced" slogan and just go with saying that this will show the real story of migrants' struggle for a better life and the threats they face along the way "none more deadly than man's own hatred." You could even try to get some endorsements from actual migrants, perhaps enlisting one as a consultant.

I would drop the reference to it being like a point-and-click adventure, and situate it in line with Tell Tale story-games. Regarding the "survival" aspect, when marketing to American press, I would call it "an Oregon Trail for 2016, chronicling the same search for freedom and opportunity in the West as that classic piece of edutainment." "For this group of migrants, disease, winter, and water-crossing poses much the same threat." Say that you hope it teaches a new generation of kids the same way. Suggest that a viable playing strategy is still buying nothing but bullets.

I think the problem right now is that you're marketing it largely in gameplay terms when you really need to be pushing it in terms of the political debate. As long as you aren't pledging allegiance to either side of the debate, you're not going to get coverage from their mouthpieces. "Icy in a contemporary context, stripped of romanticism on either side" may be a truer (and, to me, more interesting) description, but Icy doesn't mean much to the press, and everyone loves romanticism.

(Incidentally, none of this reflects my own views on the merits of the game or the political debate, just cynical advice on how you could better seize press coverage.)

Norfleet

There is an entire genre dedicated to the refugee crisis.

It's called tower defense.
Okay, well, not quite, but THIS needs to be a game. Some kind of tower-defense-esque where you try to divert waves of refugees by building walls to divert them into some other country, all while those countries are trying to do the same to you.

Lambach

Arcane
I'm just disappointed with the triviality of most jokes. XP for raping? Cologne level? That's something I can expect from anyone, that's something we're getting on greenlight. I sincerely expected something better...

Your poor choice of topic aside, I'm not sure what you were expecting when you decided to pitch a chose-your-own-adventure game on a website called RPGCodex.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Already done, nothing happened. D:
This seems ideal for mainstream coverage. I would pitch it to places like Slate, Ars Technica, The Guardian, etc. You should go with an aggressive angle like, "Finally a game that means something" and "a game that's about more than fun," etc. You might want to approach (im)migrants' rights groups and have them help cross-promote it. Probably drop the "fair and balanced" slogan and just go with saying that this will show the real story of migrants' struggle for a better life and the threats they face along the way "none more deadly than man's own hatred." You could even try to get some endorsements from actual migrants, perhaps enlisting one as a consultant.

I would drop the reference to it being like a point-and-click adventure, and situate it in line with Tell Tale story-games. Regarding the "survival" aspect, when marketing to American press, I would call it "an Oregon Trail for 2016, chronicling the same search for freedom and opportunity in the West as that classic piece of edutainment." "For this group of migrants, disease, winter, and water-crossing poses much the same threat." Say that you hope it teaches a new generation of kids the same way. Suggest that a viable playing strategy is still buying nothing but bullets.

I think the problem right now is that you're marketing it largely in gameplay terms when you really need to be pushing it in terms of the political debate. As long as you aren't pledging allegiance to either side of the debate, you're not going to get coverage from their mouthpieces. "Icy in a contemporary context, stripped of romanticism on either side" may be a truer (and, to me, more interesting) description, but Icy doesn't mean much to the press, and everyone loves romanticism.

(Incidentally, none of this reflects my own views on the merits of the game or the political debate, just cynical advice on how you could better seize press coverage.)
Everything's correct and you have a clear view on this, but the point is that probably no one care that much, and the few caring enough are not so willing to risk to lose followers or view writing an article about a KS campaign. The game's announcement turned into some articles, the KS start didn't. An eventual release would maybe do some more noise, but at this point we clearly overestimated the impact of the theme and we have to deal with it, decide what to do. We thought the same things, we also contacted the press in several different ways, but the results were quite disappointing.

It is a risk we took, we knew about it, but it didn't pay. It happens.
Your poor choice of topic aside, I'm not sure what you were expecting when you decided to pitch a chose-your-own-adventure game on a website called RPGCodex.
Oh, you're right. I wonder why they even bothered to create subforums about different genres...

Lambach

Arcane
Oh, you're right. I wonder why they even bothered to create subforums about different genres...

And you thought you'll get a decent response to a game that's pretty much the antithesis of everything most people on this site look for in their entertainment?

Seriously, it's this kind of ridiculous lapses in judgement and the complete lack of common sense that will bury your game and your studio faster than anything else. You need to know your market, and the folk on this site are most definitively not your market.

dag0net

Arcane
Should approach open society foundation etc for funding :)
Good luck!

ortucis

Prophet
Codex IS the best game to promote this game.

Also, is the family from Pakistan? A lot of refugees are Pakis.

While we're at it, I am only interested in a game like this if it tells the story of Syrians (the ones following un-pure Islam), who actually suffered the most (and according to the news, were raped/attacked by "pure" muslim refugees).

PS: I am talking about Yazidis.

Last edited:

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The premise doesn't look much appealing. I have no interest in following a story of terrorists trying to get illegally in Europe.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They've just canceled the KS campaign. Hopefully that won't mean the end of this project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom