Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

kazgar

Arcane
are ITS drunk yet? They should be.

congrats.

Tigranes

Arcane
I wouldn't be taking out the champagne yet. "Top 10 on Steam" or "Top 5 on GOG" on slow days mean a few hundred sales, rather than tens of thousands. So we'll have to wait for VD's actual numbers, and also how long the early rush lasts.

Of course, there isn't a game in the last 15 years that I wish better sales on. Go go.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I’m promoting this game in almost every community you can imagine. I’m feeling like a sophist whore spreading my STD into the darkest corners of the web!

latest

Come on, guys, Bee and trannies. Let’s get the word out!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I wouldn't be taking out the champagne yet.

True, but it is a known phenomenon that irrational optimism leads to more hype, which increase awareness, which leads to more promotion and sales. Stop ruining the hype, “decline enabler”!

thumb-350-640601.jpg

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My favourite part of this release was waiting until midnight only to find my online debit card had expired. Why didn't I just pre-purchase? :negative:

Gozma

Arcane
I been ready to D1P for a decade or so. Haven't touched AoD anything since the combat demo, which dropped in the mid '80s if anyone else here remembers.

What resolution is it intended to be run at? In the first one I picked all the text in the loot window overlaps the "hold shift and click" type shit underneath it and makes it illegible.

Also in the F1 help menu about alchemy it mentions "hey in the beta we're doing such and such" when this shit ain't no fuckin beta bros

Also it took me a few minutes to figure out I needed to go talk to Dellar more so I could get a waypoint on the world map. I was like how do I leave this town

Last edited:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Congratulations to Vince and everyone else at Iron Tower Studios :salute:
Going to purchase this on gog and all current games that I have on play shall go into my backlog :negative:

Black

Arcane
I have played Neverwinters, Baldurs and know the old school point systems very well, but everyone of those games offered a healing system.
Pretty oldschool.:rpgcodex:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You could actually heal in-combat in Gold Box games, too. Of course, that was party based.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm not against in-fight healing as a mechanic, it's just not fit for the type of game we made. Especially when it's asked not as proper fight mechanic but as a way to heal-scum through the difficulty.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I wouldn't be taking out the champagne yet. "Top 10 on Steam" or "Top 5 on GOG" on slow days mean a few hundred sales, rather than tens of thousands. So we'll have to wait for VD's actual numbers, and also how long the early rush lasts.
Doesn't seem like a slow day.

You could actually heal in-combat in Gold Box games, too. Of course, that was party based.

Party based makes a big difference. Not so much in an action game, as you can have interrupts, make it so the player needs to create some breathing room to get a moment to quaff a non-instant potion. Healing during fights in a turn-based solo game will usually just create the same mechanics as having an increased health pool for that fight, stretching things out but not actually altering the play or challenge (might be okay for thematic reasons, e.g. making the player 'feel' like a particular fight is epic, but not justified as a purely gameplay issue).

Vulcris

Novice
I'm not against in-fight healing as a mechanic, it's just not fit for the type of game we made. Especially when it's asked not as proper fight mechanic but as a way to heal-scum through the difficulty.
I prefer it that way too.

I stopped playing Dragon Age right at the moment of the duel with Loghain when I realised that it was impossible to beat him in what is supposed to be a fair fight (at least with a shield and board fighter on hard) without healing potions.

How ridiculous is a combat system when you can't win a duel with a beatable enemy without asking him to please stop a few times during the fight to refill you hp bar?

Bought the game thursday btw, but i probably won't play it before a few months. too many games to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom