Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
How many hours does a cuck little to no combat playthrough takes?

Don't have much time to play. But really tempted to play a pure or hybrid loremaster.

Not sure you picked the right class. I've been reading in the Age of Decadence forums below that loremaster is supposed to be played as an "Indiana Jones" kind of role, exploring and using a fedora the whip fighting along the way.

Supposedly merchant is the "fastest" "talkie" class if you want to complete a playthrough on a hurry.

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane

Don't have much time to play. But really tempted to play a pure or hybrid loremaster.
I dont think it is even possible to play as a "hybrid" talking character in this game. If you get into combat (even if its just once, even if its just ONE weak enemy) your loremaster is going to get slaughtered. Especially if you dont have a lot of time on your hands you might as well create a pure talker. The playthrough would take a few hours (also depends on your reading speed).

hivemind

Hybrid characters aren't the best idea for a quick run because the reason for hybridization is to access as many different types of locations/quest solutions as possible and that naturally increases your playtime.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Objectively wrong tho.
As a loremaster/merchant you have to put almost all your stat points into Intelligence/charisma making your character physically weak. Then most of your skill points have to be redistributed between lore/trading/persuasion/streetwise etc. Yeah I know that by the end of the game you get a lot of unspent points but without proper strength/dexterity/constitution they will not make that much of a difference. Also please could describe a build of lets say a merchant who does the talking most of the time but can confidently win a at least one on one fight???

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The loremaster, mercenary, grifter and drifter were never full-fledged backgrounds. What they provide is a different perspective of the events at the beginning, and maybe even some different checks later on – that is the case of the drifter, for instance. In practice, this amounts to completing an initial quest as a loremaster, mercenary, grifter or drifter, and then joining one of the other factions with full-fledged backgrounds.

Last edited:

hivemind

As a loremaster/merchant you have to put almost all your stat points into Intelligence/charisma making your character physically weak. Then most of your skill points have to be redistributed between lore/trading/persuasion/streetwise etc. Yeah I know that by the end of the game you get a lot of unspent points but without proper strength/dexterity/constitution they will not make that much of a difference. Also please could describe a build of lets say a merchant who does the talking most of the time but can confidently win a at least one on one fight???

actual spoilers

Merchants are really bad for hybrid builds currently because of the Charisma requirements of some of their skill checks.

By Hybrid I usually mean a character that can win a lot of fights and still do usually most if not all of the lore related stuff. Basically Indiana Jones.

The only time I invest in pers/streetwise is to have an easy way through the Bandit/Camp outpost quest in Teron. I then usually join either the IG and either remain loyal to them or join HA later on.

6/10/4/8/8/4 is my favorite hybrid loremaster build by far. I'll leave figuring out the skill allocation to you.

A fighting Merchant loyal to the Commercium could also theoretically work IIRC because they have a few combat quest solutions but I would have to give it more thought as I'm not sure exactly what are their relevant(as in not avoidable by combat) skill checks.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
What does “hybrid build" even mean? A build that can do both talking and fighting on the higher level? There is no such thing. But you can make a proper balanced build, that can reveal a lot of lore, and kill a lot of things, with high INT, if you know the game by heart.

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Vault Dweller why can't we have the nice achievement system for the BMT version?Is it possible to implement it for the offline version?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller, if memory serves me right, you mentioned at the Steam forum that if the sales keep going well, you would add a house in which the player’s achievements are illustrated by stuff. Do you still think this is feasible? It would be so cool.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Player houses are all the rage in Skyrim and other top-selling CRPGs, so you should definitely add it.

inb4 any smart ass complain about this idea because it is too mainstream, let me remind you that Skyrm also have swords, stats and stuff, but all these things are implemented in a retarded manner. It doesn't matter WHAT you implement, but THE WAY you implement. Stgy also decided to add a house in Underrail, it was a good move.

Last edited:

jimmy_pvish

Savant
I "think" hybrid build is doable. At lease in the early access up to the end of Maadoran

In main Iron Tower forum (not on the codex)
Some user build "Smart Soldier" and "Tough Trader" character and post them on youtube

Smart Soldier
Smart Soldier is an Imperial Guard.
Just have enough civil skill to get a non-combat solution to hard fight in Teron.
I test this build myself in early access to the end of Maadoran.
This build can win both civil quest and combat quest which get me a ton of SP.

Tough Trader
Tough Trader is a merchant with combat expertise.
Key to these build is don't be afraid to be fail at some quest.
Some merchant quest will force you to fight if you fail a skill check. (which is just a gameover for most merchant character)
Tough Trader can survive those fight and go-on.

Tigranes

Arcane
*yawn* Just about every faction/background can support a hybrid. Fighting-burglar, fighting-smoothtalker, fighter with smarts, etc. You can even beat several combat encounters in Teron with minimal SP investment (e.g. 2 or 3 in attack and defense skills).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller, if memory serves me right, you mentioned at the Steam forum that if the sales keep going well, you would add a house in which the player’s achievements are illustrated by stuff. Do you still think this is feasible? It would be so cool.
Don't know yet. We've been manning Steam forums for the last 4 days and I didn't have much time to think about what's next. Overall, I'd like to add it (in the style of Civ 3 throne room) but I need to talk to Oscar and Mazin about it first.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller why can't we have the nice achievement system for the BMT version?Is it possible to implement it for the offline version?
It was never really planned (beyond some already existing ranks and titles), but we'll take a look. For us the achievements are a feedback mechanism to track how many players did what.

Hoggypare

Savant
Don't know yet. We've been manning Steam forums for the last 4 days and I didn't have much time to think about what's next. Overall, I'd like to add it (in the style of Civ 3 throne room) but I need to talk to Oscar and Mazin about it first.

It would be a great idea, especially if it was also shown after the ending. Because as of yet it is rather abrupt, you get a text telling you what happened, click next, and the menu appears. Adding some stat round-up and achievements could make a way better transition from the finale to starting a new playthrough.

kaizoku

Arcane
Vault Dweller any chance for ITS to release all the wallpapers, concept art, promos (like this one) and soundtrack as goodies?

At least on GOG, since that is were the true patriots live.

6fo5nbv.png

(I just noticed the soundtrack is in the game folder... but I'm pretty sure JudasIscariot would love to rename and tag it :))

Elzair

Cipher
Will this game ever be ported to OSX or Linux? Not everyone wants to suck Bill Gate$' cock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom