Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Amazing X-COM Thread

Marrik

Novice
If you liked X-Com UFO Defense, do yourself a favor and check out the X-Com Files mod, it's FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
It's so annoying that the new XCOM is also just named XCOM Enemy Unknown and I never know which one is which despite being tonally very different.
The new one should have been called XCOM Z, and all your soldiers should be replaced by super Saiyans that shoot spirit bombs, the aliens with saibamen and red ribbon grunts, and your one base with the Kame house where instead of that scientist you meet Master Roshi who demands panties from the female team members.

That would be more honest than falsely claiming it's an X-Com game, and I can respect honesty, if nothing else.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a mod for X-COM/freeX-COM that just new stuffs to the game instead of total overhaul like PirateZ or XCOM Filies?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I there, I'm playing the original floppy version, USA version, (I think - it's titled XCOM Ufo Defence). First time I play since 1996. Almost finished the game back then, but I quit for some reason. Now, I'm almost finished, hopefully I'll beat the game this time.

1. How do I find out which version I have? Hint: I does not have the glitch that makes the gun clip out of guns count as a full clip even when not full. I fully tested it, taking notes of my base inventory before/after. If the clip has 34 round out of 35 rounds - I lose the clip, no matter if it's inside the gun or out of it. 35/35, I keep the clip.

2. The aliens have yet to attack my base. I wanna experience base defence at least once, is there a way to entice the aliens to attack one of my 2 main bases?

3. So, I attacked and destroyed 3 alien bases so far. Whenever I reload a saved game inside of one, the graphics glitch out and cannot select anybody, and the only thing I can do then is end my turn, which returns everything to normal. Have any of you experienced this? This glitch only happens inside alien bases, and it makes me wanna make sure I save the game AFTER my soldiers have acted, and not before.

eXalted

Arcane
UndeadHalfOrc Would be nice if someone helps but most of the people nowadays play the OpenXcom Extended version because it's cleaned of any bugs and supports plethora of modifications and improvements that everyone can add to their game.

OXCE has also an option to start a custom battle so you can play a base defense that way.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I there, I'm playing the original floppy version, USA version, (I think - it's titled XCOM Ufo Defence).

1. How do I find out which version I have? Hint: I does not have the glitch that makes the gun clip out of guns count as a full clip even when not full. I fully tested it, taking notes of my base inventory before/after. If the clip has 34 round out of 35 rounds - I lose the clip, no matter if it's inside the gun or out of it. 35/35, I keep the clip.
Looking online I found that the American version comes pre-patched to v1.2. Everyone else is currently using v1.4.
It's what third-party programs people are using that's causing plenty of debate.

More info here.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I finally found out two to get them to attack one of my main bases.
There is a small/medium UFO type whose mission is "Alien retaliation", and I would always shoot them down ASAP like all UFOs I saw.

This time, I let one of them sniff around my USA base, and left it do it's job and leave.

A few days later, a Battleship attacks it. I built only a weak missile defense there on purpose, but inside the base I'm armed to the teeth with 10 squaddies, heavy plasmas and 6 tanks :)

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I finally beat the game for the first time. Took me 30 years!
Yup, 30 years after I got the game back in the old college days of diskettes, modem and BBS.

n0denz

Novice

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom